Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
bucks03

Motor Squeak
Original Message   Apr 25, 2011 10:26 am
When shutting down my Dyson DC24 Ball mini theres a tiny squeak noise exhibited from the motor as it is about to stop.  The shutting down sound is quite rough, but it has never sounded smooth like some other makes of vacuum cleaner I have used.

Is there a problem with the bearings?  I think that there was a noise similar on a Dyson DC05 cyliner that I had.  I used to hear an odd noise on a Dyson DC03 but I thought it was the clutch on that machine.

This machine is pretty loud for such a tiny small wattage machine but I am happy with it overall. Any ideas on the squeak sound?  Thanks.

Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
M00seUK

Re: Motor Squeak
Reply #1   Apr 25, 2011 3:14 pm
Which motor is it thats making the noise? The motor that creates the suction or the motor in the brushbar? 
I find the DC24 pretty loud with the brushbar running , but relatively quiet when the brushbar is turned off.
iMacDaddy

Electrolux UltraOne EL7070, Bissell BigGreen Deep Cleaning Machine

Reply #2   Apr 25, 2011 4:24 pm
I'm pretty sure that the gasket around the removable hepa exhaust filter is the cause of the noise as the machine is shutting off. Does your machine make the same noise right when you turn it on as well?
bucks03

Reply #3   Apr 25, 2011 5:36 pm
It's the main motor as brush is off in upright position. Yes it used to make this kind of moan sound when first turning on. It was once really loud once after the filter in the ball was washed. I notice when turning on there's this noise on top of the motor, a kind of squeaking sound that stops after machine is on for 20 seconds it's now this noise instead of that 'moan sound' lol I must advise that the machine runs fine and there's no burning smell.
M00seUK

Reply #4   Apr 25, 2011 7:07 pm
bucks03 wrote:
It's the main motor as brush is off in upright position. Yes it used to make this kind of moan sound when first turning on. It was once really loud once after the filter in the ball was washed. I notice when turning on there's this noise on top of the motor, a kind of squeaking sound that stops after machine is on for 20 seconds it's now this noise instead of that 'moan sound' lol I must advise that the machine runs fine and there's no burning smell.

Perhaps best to call the Dyson helpline and describe the problem to see if they have any advice they can offer.
bucks03

Reply #5   May 2, 2011 3:16 pm
Hi All,

This appears to have sorted itself out . I emptied the bin and the suction appears to have improved and the motor squeak has stopped so I'm wondering that maybe, having the bin completely full up to the top was causing the motor extra strain? Who knows.  My old DC05 makes a strange noise on shutdown when have been pushing the tool against a fabric.

Anyway, I have used the machine twice since and that 'sqeaking' from the motor on start up and shutdown has not happened on the two occasions the machine has been used. 

I hope things stay this way.

bucks03

Reply #6   May 2, 2011 3:21 pm
I didnt post in my orginal post at the beginning that the machine was making a squeaky type on start up as well. The machine is turned on and then 4 seconds after this sqeaking sound was happening for only around 8 seconds, then it disappeared. I thought it was the motor arcing but now I think it was linked to a bearing or something.  I have to say that Dysons are not good at supressing motor noise.
This message was modified May 2, 2011 by bucks03
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42