Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Who makes Kenmore canisters now?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Hertz

Who makes Kenmore canisters now?
Original Message   Jul 2, 2010 1:18 am
Is it TTI or still Panasonic?
Replies: 54 - 63 of 81Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Who makes Kenmore canisters now?
Reply #54   Apr 3, 2011 2:37 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
I can't recall acomment on the LG.  I would likely remember if you said I was correct.  However, I may have made that comment about the "Z".

It's on this site about the Permalite.  Same place as Mike's comments. You said that the Permalite is a POS.  POS is your phrase and word which you use here often.  Not just for the Z, tho I must admit you never it [HOOVER Z] that.  Read my other post here to you and you'll understand what I said about you. And like I said, I think I even responded back to you in agreement on the Permalite.  I would remember because I don't say that I agree with you very often.  AND I have your words here to me that I NEVER forget anything [especially when it is about vacuums].  You're right there too.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL wrote:
Ir Ace was referring to a Dyson you would be telling that is a POS.  You want us to believe that only Dyson is the problem and not the user. Your credibility would be better if you presented the fact that all vacuums have problems. 

Could it be that this Sears vac is a POS and overpriced.  Almost $400 for a vac that is likely a lemon.

He my man:

You saved me the trouble. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Apr 3, 2011 by CarmineD
mark40511

Reply #55   Apr 7, 2011 3:57 pm
OMG!!!!

I didn't want to start a new thread so I just kept this one going since it's pertaining to the Kenmore Can.......Mine is about 3 and a half years old..........I buy those envirocare synthetic cloth bags........

Yesterday I went to change the bag, opened the bin and the bag had COMPLETELY slipped off the collar............It was a mess..........This has happened to me three or four times in the past and I have been SOOO careful when putting them on....... I had to get the Rainbow out to clean the inside of the Kenmore..........

After cleaning, I changed all three filters. Hepa, Chamber, and Bag.........I can't for the life of me figure out how these bags continue to slip off........I thought the first couple of times it was my fault because I didn't have them very secure or something, but this last time I was so careful in that it was on properly..........I'm the only one that uses this machine and it hasn't been turned over or anything to cause the bag to slip off......

You should have SEEN the inside of the bin.

Is there anything I can use to keep this from happening? I put some packaging tape on it in such a way that I think it will stay, but I don't know if anyone has a better method.
CarmineD

Reply #56   Apr 9, 2011 7:19 am
mark40511 wrote:
OMG!!!!

I didn't want to start a new thread so I just kept this one going since it's pertaining to the Kenmore Can.......Mine is about 3 and a half years old..........I buy those envirocare synthetic cloth bags........

Yesterday I went to change the bag, opened the bin and the bag had COMPLETELY slipped off the collar............It was a mess..........This has happened to me three or four times in the past and I have been SOOO careful when putting them on....... I had to get the Rainbow out to clean the inside of the Kenmore..........

After cleaning, I changed all three filters. Hepa, Chamber, and Bag.........I can't for the life of me figure out how these bags continue to slip off........I thought the first couple of times it was my fault because I didn't have them very secure or something, but this last time I was so careful in that it was on properly..........I'm the only one that uses this machine and it hasn't been turned over or anything to cause the bag to slip off......

You should have SEEN the inside of the bin.

Is there anything I can use to keep this from happening?
I put some packaging tape on it in such a way that I think it will stay, but I don't know if anyone has a better method.

More like "Houston, we have a problem."  I highlighted parts of your message that are significant for diganosis and response.

Your last question first:  Stop using the Envirocare bags.  Convert to Ultracare bags.

Question 1:  Is this condition limited to this one package or have you had several packages of these same Envirocare bags do the same thing: slip off the bag holder?

Question 2:  Is the bag collar plastic or cardboard?

Question 3:  Have you gotten all/most of the dirt that bypassed the bag and pre-motor filter out of the motor compartment?

Carmine D.

mark40511

Reply #57   Apr 9, 2011 8:02 pm
Here are the bags I use, and if they don't slip of the collar, they are FABULOUS.....No loss of suction as the bag fills, and no trace of dirt/dust in the bin

The collar is cardboard, but the odd thing is that it's a really SNUG fit

This is not limited to this package. This has happened with other packages in the past as well. I think it's happened to me like three times

The motor safety chamber filter HOPEFULLY protected the motor since that was obviously the ONLY thing keeping the dirt from getting sucked right into the motor. The motor still sounds fine.

To be honest, I can't remember but I think this has also happened with the DVC microlined paper bags one time on me as well.....I could be wrong on that. I have used those in the past as well.

As it is now, when I put the new envirocare bag on, I taped it and then tried to slip it off the collar and it won't come off unless I take the tape off or pull really hard, so hopefully that will help........

http://www.totalvac.com/A137.html
This message was modified Apr 9, 2011 by mark40511
mark40511

Reply #58   Apr 9, 2011 8:05 pm
Question 3:  Have you gotten all/most of the dirt that bypassed the bag and pre-motor filter out of the motor compartment?

Forgot to answer this

I don't know HOW I would get any dirt that bypassed the chamber filter since I don't know how to take a vacuum apart.
CarmineD

Reply #59   Apr 9, 2011 8:36 pm
mark40511 wrote:

Forgot to answer this

I don't know HOW I would get any dirt that bypassed the chamber filter since I don't know how to take a vacuum apart.

Short of taking apart and cleaning, I suggest:  With a new bag installed, pre-motor filter in place, remove the post motor, or exhaust filter.  With vacuum running, stop the suction opening by cupping your hand over it.  Remove your hand and continue repeating the hand blocking procedure.  Note if and how much dirt is coming out of the exhaust opening of the vacuum.  If dirt is doing so, continue running, using your hand to block the suction opening and unblock the opening until all/most of the dirt emitted from the exhaust subsides. 

Carmine D. 

CarmineD

Reply #60   Apr 10, 2011 7:57 am
Of course it goes without saying that the above procedure for clearing the motor compartment dirt is done outdoors. 

WRT terminology, the bag collar is the cardboard/plastic part of the bag that slips on and locks into the vacuum's bag holder.  If the collar is coming off [the bag not the bag holder] then the the problem is a defective bag.  Usually the glue holding the collar on the bag is stale, insuffient, and won't hold.  If the bag collar is slipping off/out of the bag holder, as is your case, the bag is not made securely enough to be used in your vacuum, without modification.  Hence, I recommend using the Ultracare brand of bags in your case.  But it's up to you.

Carmine D.

mark40511

Reply #61   Apr 10, 2011 9:09 pm
Carmine

The cardboard collar that is PART of the bag itself did NOT come off the bag. That's not defective at all. When changing the bag in the Kenmore can you slip the bag collar over the piece that accepts the bag. There is no "locking" but it feels like it's on there really good. When I opened the canister to change the bag, it was as if someone had just taken the vacuum bag and just placed it in the bag compartment WITHOUT even putting it on the canisters bag slider thingy or whatever its called. But I'm the only one that uses this vacuum and am very careful (especially since this has happened in the past) to put it on very securely. Though when sliding the bag onto the unit there really is NO locking that I can see, it just slides into place. It's very strange and I can't figure out how this has happened to me...........This last time I actually put mailing tape on the red thing that accepts the collar and the cardboard collar hoping that will keep it from sliding off. I even tugged the bag pretty hard and it's on there really good. So if it comes off this time, I give up. Now I'm paranoid every time I use it
mark40511

Reply #62   Apr 10, 2011 9:09 pm
This is a BLUE Kenmore from like three years ago. It's still a Panasonic.
CarmineD

Reply #63   Apr 11, 2011 7:21 am
mark40511 wrote:
Carmine

The cardboard collar that is PART of the bag itself did NOT come off the bag. That's not defective at all. When changing the bag in the Kenmore can you slip the bag collar over the piece that accepts the bag. There is no "locking" but it feels like it's on there really good. When I opened the canister to change the bag, it was as if someone had just taken the vacuum bag and just placed it in the bag compartment WITHOUT even putting it on the canisters bag slider thingy or whatever its called. But I'm the only one that uses this vacuum and am very careful (especially since this has happened in the past) to put it on very securely. Though when sliding the bag onto the unit there really is NO locking that I can see, it just slides into place. It's very strange and I can't figure out how this has happened to me...........This last time I actually put mailing tape on the red thing that accepts the collar and the cardboard collar hoping that will keep it from sliding off. I even tugged the bag pretty hard and it's on there really good. So if it comes off this time, I give up. Now I'm paranoid every time I use it

mark40511 wrote:
This is a BLUE Kenmore from like three years ago. It's still a Panasonic.

Mark, I figured all this out, more or less from our message exchanges.  The problem is not the vacuum but the Envirocare bags.  These are made to fit your Kenmore cann and are less expensive than the Ultracare brand bags, which are the original Kenmore brand bags for your vacuum and more expensive.  I have my own thoughts and feelings about replacement bags made to fit brands and models which I have expressed here on many occasions. 

There are a number of reasons this bag is not working:  The cardboard collar caves with use and as the bag fills with dirt.  Probaly not strong enough.  The cloth/paper bags should have a plastic collar which will not degrade with usage BUT these plastic collars are best served when they lock into the bag holder channel.  Can't with yours.  So, its a catch 22 with your vacuum if you continue to use the bags. 

Hopefully, you can get most of the dirt that by-passed the bag and pre-motor filter out of the motor compartment.  This shopuld give you another 2-3 years usage from this Kenmore cann.  Especially, if you don't use it that much and share the duties with your other vacuums. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Apr 11, 2011 by CarmineD
Replies: 54 - 63 of 81Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42