Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Hoover Max Extract-performance? pro/con?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Trebor

Hoover Max Extract-performance? pro/con?
Original Message   Mar 1, 2011 11:33 am
I'd like to know what experiences people have had with these new carpet cleaners. My Spin Scrub is 14 yrs old.
I am attracted by the prospect of deeper cleaning, more extraction, and faster drying
Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
iMacDaddy

Electrolux UltraOne EL7070, Bissell BigGreen Deep Cleaning Machine

Re: Hoover Max Extract-performance? pro/con?
Reply #1   Mar 1, 2011 11:07 pm
Trebor wrote:
I'd like to know what experiences people have had with these new carpet cleaners. My Spin Scrub is 14 yrs old.
I am attracted by the prospect of deeper cleaning, more extraction, and faster drying

What is your price range? If you are willing to spend around $600, I'd suggest the new Bissell BigGreen deep cleaner. This machine is Bissell's answer to the Rug Doctor Mighty Pro, sans the excessively damp carpets and long drying time. It produces fantastic suction, deep cleans extremely well (the brush roll on this thing is HUGE), and not only does it do a damn good job at cleaning and extracting the water, but your carpets will be dry in less than two hours. I'd say this is because of a combination of heated air applied to the carpet and double the extraction with forward AND backward passes (unlike the Rug Doctor that only allows backward passes)...and no, the machine is not light on applying solution; it does spray a generous amount. I know some places are renting them as well if you'd prefer. Overall, I'm impressed with mine because of its' performance, intuitive design, quick dry times, and the fact that it's built like a tank. This machine should last any owner maintains it properly 20+ years
CarmineD

Reply #2   Mar 12, 2011 7:00 am
Trebor wrote:

Hello Trebor:

HSN featured the HOOVER STeam Vac Dual V Power Max, TOL rug cleaner, today.  $229.  One gallon capacity.  Heated drying.  5 Spin scrub brushes with attachments.  Great for rugs, stairs and furniture and cars.  9 foot hose.  Julie did a great job as usual demoing the product and taking it to the limits with every kind of spill.  Free Shipping and handling.  Of 100 HSN customer reviews this unit gets a 4.6 rating out of 5.  Impressive.

Carmine D.

Trebor

Reply #3   Mar 31, 2011 4:48 pm
Bissell looks impressive. I'll check it our. never was keen on Bissell products before, but this could be the exception.
adamlau

Reply #4   Apr 2, 2011 3:48 pm
I too am looking for a home extractor. @iMacDaddy: Would you still prefer the Big Green Deep Cleaning Machine to the new Rug Doctor Mighty Pro X3? Both price out similarly...
This message was modified Apr 2, 2011 by adamlau

iMacDaddy

Electrolux UltraOne EL7070, Bissell BigGreen Deep Cleaning Machine

Reply #5   Apr 3, 2011 8:21 pm
adamlau wrote:
I too am looking for a home extractor. @iMacDaddy: Would you still prefer the Big Green Deep Cleaning Machine to the new Rug Doctor Mighty Pro X3? Both price out similarly...

Hi Adamlau, I responded to your other thread briefly, but I will reply here as well in more detail. I would most definitely go with the Bissell (I own one, and can affirm it's excellent cleaning performance), over the Rug Doctor for several reasons.

First of all, the Bissell cleans in both forward and reverse. Every Rug Doctor machine only cleans in reverse passes: hence, the Bissell will yield double the carpet agitation than the Rug Doctor. The forward/reverse motion is allowed by an adaptive, spring loaded suction nozzle that accommodates any carpet type without friction resistance.

Second, Rug Doctors are notorious for leaving carpets over saturated to the point where it would take approximately 24 hours to dry. Read the reviews on Amazon or elsewhere: this is a common complaint. However, the Bissell uses the right amount of solution without over saturating (no, it's not light on the solution like typical household units), and coupled with powerful suction, will yield dry carpet in less than 2 hours. In addition, the Bissell directly vents the exhaust air onto the carpet with each pass. The Rug Doctor does not do this.

Third, I like the fact that the solution tank (1.8 gallon capacity) is removable form the machine, so you can bring it with you to the sink and fill it up that way. With the Rug Doctor, you'd have to repeatedly fill up a pitcher or bucket and fill up the tank that built into the machine without trying to make a mess (this is probably an issue for people who are not as strong), so this is another thing to consider.

Lastly, I'd also consider the possibility of the "vibrating brush" on the Rug Doctor going out (outside the warranty period). Repairing it would be a technician task, because it would not be as simple as replacing a brush roll, changing out a belt, replacing the entire floating brush roll mechanism, which can all be done by the user (and the parts are not that expensive, either). I've rented Rug Doctors before that had a disabled brush, and forced me to return it for a machine swap. Yes, the rigors of rental use are far more stressful to a machine than typical household use, but still lies the possibility. FYI, the retail Bissell BigGreens are the same ones they rent out, except the rental units use black brush roll bristles while the retail units use red bristles.
This message was modified Apr 3, 2011 by iMacDaddy
mark40511

Reply #6   Apr 14, 2011 2:40 pm
That Bissell looks great.......

I've had the Hoover Agility for about 4 years now. I have discovered that If I tape (with box tape) 2 little five pound weights I have onto the front (where you see the water being extracted) that it causes it to push down somewhat more onto the carpet and it seems to do a much better job at extracting more water than if I don't do this and it doesn't seem to be harming the machine at all. I have wall to wall berber and it dries pretty quick. Maybe three hours. I do wish my machine had a rinse feature. I usually just end up using near boiling water and white vinegar.
hooverman

Reply #7   Apr 28, 2011 3:19 pm
Go for All Terrain; its the best steam vac out there.  H-E-B Grocery just started offering Steam Vac All Terrain for rent.
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #8   May 2, 2011 1:02 am
iMacDaddy wrote:
Hi Adamlau, I responded to your other thread briefly, but I will reply here as well in more detail. I would most definitely go with the Bissell (I own one, and can affirm it's excellent cleaning performance), over the Rug Doctor for several reasons.

First of all, the Bissell cleans in both forward and reverse. Every Rug Doctor machine only cleans in reverse passes: hence, the Bissell will yield double the carpet agitation than the Rug Doctor. The forward/reverse motion is allowed by an adaptive, spring loaded suction nozzle that accommodates any carpet type without friction resistance.

Second, Rug Doctors are notorious for leaving carpets over saturated to the point where it would take approximately 24 hours to dry. Read the reviews on Amazon or elsewhere: this is a common complaint. However, the Bissell uses the right amount of solution without over saturating (no, it's not light on the solution like typical household units), and coupled with powerful suction, will yield dry carpet in less than 2 hours. In addition, the Bissell directly vents the exhaust air onto the carpet with each pass. The Rug Doctor does not do this.

Third, I like the fact that the solution tank (1.8 gallon capacity) is removable form the machine, so you can bring it with you to the sink and fill it up that way. With the Rug Doctor, you'd have to repeatedly fill up a pitcher or bucket and fill up the tank that built into the machine without trying to make a mess (this is probably an issue for people who are not as strong), so this is another thing to consider.

Lastly, I'd also consider the possibility of the "vibrating brush" on the Rug Doctor going out (outside the warranty period). Repairing it would be a technician task, because it would not be as simple as replacing a brush roll, changing out a belt, replacing the entire floating brush roll mechanism, which can all be done by the user (and the parts are not that expensive, either). I've rented Rug Doctors before that had a disabled brush, and forced me to return it for a machine swap. Yes, the rigors of rental use are far more stressful to a machine than typical household use, but still lies the possibility. FYI, the retail Bissell BigGreens are the same ones they rent out, except the rental units use black brush roll bristles while the retail units use red bristles.

My recommendation would be to rent the bissell before buying.  I rented one recently and was fairly pleased with the results.   If you're the type of person who's used to using an Oreck upright or other lightweight, you will likely find the Bissell Big Green carpet cleaner to be difficult to push and pull.  The rental machine had several places where the cord was damaged - I don't know if the Chinese made Bissell used a cheap cord.   I would recommend cleaning the brush area before using if you do rent a Bissell.  The rotating brush produced a small blobs of lint that were thrown onto the carpeting.  It did seem to clean better than my Hoover spin scrub. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42