Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Sharquincy

D2 Seperator
Original Message   Jan 16, 2011 11:40 am
Newbie here, I have 2 Rainbow D2- 1st Purchased approx 1979-80   & # 2 purchased in an estate sale sbout 2 yrs ago ,  new with all attachements.

Problem- my original rainbow D2 - the seperator - about 1 yr ago I noticed a few of the teeth/fins  ( all in a row ) about 4-5 suddenly missing. So I took the seperator off # 2 & used it on orig Rainbow & with in a few weeks that one too was missing 5 fins/teeth.  Why is this happening?? What is causing it? What can I do  so when I purchase 2 more seperators it doesn't happen again.

Thanks for any help

This message was modified Jan 16, 2011 by Sharquincy
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Venson

Re: D2 Seperator
Reply #1   Jan 16, 2011 12:31 pm
Sharquincy wrote:
Newbie here, I have 2 Rainbow D2- 1st Purchased approx 1979-80   & # 2 purchased in an estate sale sbout 2 yrs ago ,  new with all attachements.

Problem- my original rainbow D2 - the seperator - about 1 yr ago I noticed a few of the teeth/fins  ( all in a row ) about 4-5 suddenly missing. So I took the seperator off # 2 & used it on orig Rainbow & with in a few weeks that one too was missing 5 fins/teeth.  Why is this happening?? What is causing it? What can I do  so when I purchase 2 more seperators it doesn't happen again.

Thanks for any help

Hi Sarquincy,

Did the damage appear to have occured by way of inside or outside of the separator?  I've owned D2s but have never had this happen with their metal separators as due to design they don't allow a lot of room for error when mounting the motor unit onto the water pan.  (By the way are you using metal separators or plastic ones made to fit the D2 and D3?) 

Silly questions but -- did the separator seat properly on your D2's spider or is it possiblle that you're overtitghtening the bolt that holds the separator in place and did you hear any unusual noise while using the machine?  I'd suggest getting a new separator an using it with the machine you most recently bought until you can hove your old stand-by looked at..

(248)643-7222 is Rainbow's customer service line.  It does business during Eastern Standard Time and it might be good to give them a call if we can't help you here.

Venson

This message was modified Jan 16, 2011 by Venson
CarmineD

Reply #2   Jan 17, 2011 7:53 pm
Sharquincy wrote:

Thanks for any help

Hello Sharquincy:

The first seperator probably from normal wear and tear after 30 years.  The second seperator probably because it is not made to fit your Rainbow model.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #3   Jan 19, 2011 7:11 am
Here is a web site for Rexair/Raibow parts and schematics based on specific models.  I make no claims for the company and have no interest personal or professional in the business or its staff.

After 30 years if you haven't already replaced the motor bearings and you plan to keep and use your D2 you may want to have new bearings put in.

http://www.hescoinc.com/vacuum_cleaner_parts/rexair.html

Carmine D.

Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42