Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Oreck Edge VS Kirby Sentria

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
10lees

Oreck Edge VS Kirby Sentria
Original Message   Dec 6, 2010 6:24 pm
Good afternoon everybody! I was hoping for some help.  I am a little torn between buy an Oreck Edge and a Kirby Sentria.  I have wanted a Kirby for a very long time, and I know how heavy it is (which seems to be the major critism everybody makes) as I used one growing up.  I believe the Kirby will keep my carpets very clean and that it will last a long time.  I would buy used/refurbished and therefore there would be no (or a very minor) warrenty.

However, today I decided to stop by an Oreck store and was very impressed with the Oreck Edge, which is the only Oreck that would work on my deep pile carpeting.  I am not convinced that it would do as well of a job and since it's a newer "edition" it doesn't appear yet on with a Seal of Approval on the Carpet and Rug Institute webpage (although many other Orecks do).  A Seal of Approval would be very important to me because I feel like they don't have a vested interest in what I buy.  (Consumer Reports doesn't seem to rate the higher end vacuums, which is disapointing).

Has anybody had experience with a deep cut-pile carpeting and what vacuum would work best? (I also glanced at a Riccar, but didn't fall in love). Anything you can do to sway me one was or the other would be helpful.  Please don't tell me the Kirby is heavy, I doubt the current version can be any heavier than the 1970s version I grew up pushing with no self propelling feature.

Replies: 13 - 22 of 44Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
10lees

Re: Oreck Edge VS Kirby Sentria
Reply #13   Dec 7, 2010 12:49 pm
So Mole, as a repair man - what do you think of Kirbys in general?  I had another repair guy at my local store steer me towards the Electrolux Santaire but it feels very plastic and I am not positive about the longevity of the machines by Electrolux.
CarmineD

Reply #14   Dec 7, 2010 1:42 pm

ORECK partners with EUREKA [Electrolux] Sanitaire and produces the same upright under its own name for commercial cleaning applications.  Usually retails for $250.  As you can see, only an upright.  No on-board attachments as with the ProTeam.  Also earns the CRI seal.

Carmine D.

The Oreck Upright Vac Premier Series is designed for a wide variety of applications including: Hotels, Restaurants, Schools, and more.

Features:

• Powerful 870-watt motor deep cleans in just one pass
  • Heat overload protection system
  • Reinforced fan (virtually indestructible with lifetime warranty)
  • Ergonomic handle
  • Teflex-coated outer cloth bag (shakeout)
  • Top fill HEPA disposable filter bag
  • 50-ft. long power cord with cord strain relief allows for 100 feet of cleaning area
  • Aluminum roller brush with four bristle strips and double ball bearings
  • 12-inch cleaning path
  • Large rear wheels make transportation easy
  • 6 position manual carpet height adjustment
  • Chrome metal hood with V shaped motor vents
  • Reinforced see-thru fan chamber for fast cleaning
  • Metal on/off foot switch
  • Metal foot release pedal made from hardened steel
  • Metal bottom plate
  • Weighs just 14.5 lbs.
  • Lifetime warranty on fan
  • Magnet bar

• Chrome Metal Hood

• 12" Cleaning Path

• HEPA Filter Bag

• ORKOR101H - Oreck Commercial Upright Vacuum OR101H
    Venson

Reply #15   Dec 7, 2010 1:44 pm
    mole wrote:
    Do yourself a favor and look at the PROTEAM xp1500 twin motor upright .Its the best bang for the buck out there,and By the way i sell  Kirby rebuilts and have over 40 years of repair  experience.As for the oreck its a good $ 199.00 vacuum. The kirby diamond edition is not a real 2 speed motor , it uses a control board under the motor that acts like its a 2 speed motor, the last real 2 speed motor was filter queens lamb/ G.S electric  motor thats no longer being made and are rare like hens teeth.

MOLE

P.S  dont make the wrong move..........................

Hi mole,

I didn't know about the board. Thanks for adding to my education.

Best,

Venson
    CarmineD

Reply #16   Dec 7, 2010 2:30 pm

What do you get with a tune-up?

Oreck professionals at the Oreck Clean Home Center nearest you will:

• Replace the belt – Your vacuum’s belt should be changed every 6 to 12 months. This helps to keep the brush turning at maximum speed, which allows for greater agitation (cleaning) of your carpets.
    • Replace the worn or damaged seals – This keeps the dust that is being picked up inside the vacuum. Allows the motor to remain cleaner and also allows for better dust containment.
    • Replace the inner bag – Putting a fresh inner bag in your vacuum removes the old dust or dirt and musty odor.
    • Clean the roller brush – Cleaning the roller brush removes the hair, string and lint build-up so that the brush bearings move freely and keep the brush moving at its maximum speed. This allows for better agitation and dirt removal, which results in cleaner floors.
    • Check roller brush bearings – This allows the brush bearings to move freely and keeps the brush rotating properly and at its maximum speed.
    • Polish the commutator – This helps increase the RPMs of the motor and allows for better agitation and airflow.
    • Check all electrical connections – You’ll have comfort knowing that the vacuum is safe and that a loose connection will not stop you from tackling those dirty carpets and bare floors.
    • Clean housing and base plate inside and out – This removes old dirt, makes the vacuum more sanitary, and keeps it looking nice for years to come.
    • Clean outer bag and bag dock – As dust escapes from the inner bag, it is trapped by the outer bag. Removing this dirt, dust, pet dander etc. helps to keep the pores of the bag breathing and also helps to remove the musty odor.

How to get your free tune-ups

Step 1: Visit our store locator to search for an Oreck Store nearest you or call 1-800-289-5888. There are over 400 Oreck Stores nationwide.

Step 2: Once you have located your local Oreck Store, simply take your upright in and they will give you a tune-up at no additional charge*. Each tune-up is a $40 value.

In deference to my good friend MOLE WRT the value of ORECK and price:

If we assume as my good friend MOLE says that ORECK is a good $199 vacuum then adding the 10 free annual tune ups for $40 each would raise the ante to $599.  Then throw in the Edge canister handheld free.  You're still ahead.  Do you need an annual tuneup?  Maybe. Maybe not.  Can't hurt if you want to keep your vacuum for the long term.  As I imagine you do.  Am I recommending the ORECK.  Yes, over the Kirby Sentria.  Yes, over the HOOVER bagged lightweight Platinum.  Over the EUREKA Sanitare?  Depends on your cleaning needs.  Maybe yes maybe no.  Over the ProTeam.  No.  Definitely ProTeam over the ORECK Edge for the money.  

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #17   Dec 7, 2010 2:51 pm
    Buy the Platinum and save the high cost of the Oreck.  You will have enough left to buy another IF the Hoover fails within 10 years.

The Platinum does not need an annual tune up.  BTW did I mention that it also cleans whereas the Oreck sweeps the dirt back into the carpet?

CarmineD

Reply #18   Dec 7, 2010 3:07 pm
    HARDSELL wrote:
    Buy the Platinum and save the high cost of the Oreck.  You will have enough left to buy another IF the Hoover fails within 10 years.

The Platinum does not need an annual tune up.  BTW did I mention that it also cleans whereas the Oreck sweeps the dirt back into the carpet?

Hello HARDSELL:

You have consistently impugned ORECK uprights for deep cleaning.  A false argument as I've stated many times in the past.  Because so often deep cleaning is as much a function of user technique as the technical product features.  You say that the HOOVER Platinum bagged lighweight is better than ORECK XL for deep cleaning.  I say, based on my experience, it is as good if not a tad bit better then ORECK XL due to the patented windtunnel technology.  But, sir, you will have to explain to me and others in a cogent and factual way why a vacuum, the HOOVER Platinum bagged lightweight, that is a TTI/HOOVER knock off copy of the ORECK, with similar amps [for motor and suction] and more importantly ame design and function for carpet cleaning [including nozzle, height and motor speeds, can do so much better a job in deep cleaning carpets than the model it copies.  You haven't done that yet.  Here's your chance. 

Carmine D.

PS: On another note, it's nice to finally see and hear you recommend HOOVER's for their price, performance and quality over some of the other brands you bought used and sold.    I might add too that you and Consumer Reports are on the same page too WRT to the the HOOVER lightweight bagged.  Also a milestone for you after you impugned the veracity of CR for its vacuum testings and ratings. 

HARDSELL

Reply #19   Dec 7, 2010 3:41 pm
    CarmineD wrote:
    Hello HARDSELL:

You have consistently impugned ORECK uprights for deep cleaning.  A false argument as I've stated many times in the past.  Because so often deep cleaning is as much a function of user technique as the technical product features.  You say that the HOOVER Platinum bagged lighweight is better than ORECK XL for deep cleaning.  I say, based on my experience, it is as good if not a tad bit better then ORECK XL due to the patented windtunnel technology.  But, sir, you will have to explain to me and others in a cogent and factual way why a vacuum, the HOOVER Platinum bagged lightweight, that is a TTI/HOOVER knock off copy of the ORECK, with similar amps [for motor and suction] and more importantly ame design and function for carpet cleaning [including nozzle, height and motor speeds, can do so much better a job in deep cleaning carpets than the model it copies.  You haven't done that yet.  Here's your chance. 

Carmine D.

PS: On another note, it's nice to finally see and hear you recommend HOOVER's for their price, performance and quality over some of the other brands you bought used and sold.    I might add too that you and Consumer Reports are on the same page too WRT to the the HOOVER lightweight bagged.  Also a milestone for you after you impugned the veracity of CR for its vacuum testings and ratings. 

You have stated more than once that Oreck is not a deep cleaner.  It should be used daily to prevent imbedded dirt.  Most have more to do and no desire to vacuum daily.

Why do cars of the same weight and horsepower rating not perform the same?  I doubt if .01% of vacuum users care about why one vac is better.  Ergonomics, quality, price, and CLEANING ability seem to be all tht is important to them. I do not study the mechanics but I will ask.  1.  Is the dirt tunnel (tube) larger in the Hoover?  2. Does the Hoover exhaust better creating better suction?  3. Is the Hoover brush and belt better?  I know the belt is.  Motor speed is irrevelant if it does not have torque.

CR was in no way an influence in my purchasing decision.  Hoover ain't Hoover these days.  They were poor performers before being sold.  You seem to support the bottom tier performers.

CarmineD

Reply #20   Dec 7, 2010 3:55 pm
    HARDSELL wrote:
    You have stated more than once that Oreck is not a deep cleaner.  It should be used daily to prevent imbedded dirt.  Most have more to do and no desire to vacuum daily.

Why do cars of the same weight and horsepower rating not perform the same?  I doubt if .01% of vacuum users care about why one vac is better.  Ergonomics, quality, price, and CLEANING ability seem to be all tht is important to them. I do not study the mechanics but I will ask.  1.  Is the dirt tunnel (tube) larger in the Hoover?  2. Does the Hoover exhaust better creating better suction?  3. Is the Hoover brush and belt better?  I know the belt is.  Motor speed is irrevelant if it does not have torque.

CR was in no way an influence in my purchasing decision.  Hoover ain't Hoover these days.  They were poor performers before being sold.  You seem to support the bottom tier performers.

You can't answer HS?  We're talking vacuums here, not cars.  Let's talk vacuums.  And in particular: The 2 vacuums in question: ORECK XL and HOOVER lightweight bagged.  Why is one [HOOVER} so much better than the other [ORECK] for carpet cleaning?

What I said was:  ORECK XL was not as good a deep down rug cleaner as a full sized HOOVER WT upright.  I said it was a good second place. 

Carmine D.

PS:  Here are my exact words excerpted from a review of the ORECK XL posted here from several years ago.  If you like go to the reviews tab here and verify.

"Almost as good as the HOOVER Windtunnel for cleaning and grooming but not quite
    Alot lighter and easier to use than all full sized uprights including the HOOVER WT"

This message was modified Dec 7, 2010 by CarmineD
    10lees

Reply #21   Dec 7, 2010 4:02 pm
    FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!  Wait, am I back in middle school?  And here I thought I was acting all grown up by posting on a vacuum discussion board (as in signs you've firmly an adult).

Anyhoo, I am fairly certain the Kirby is my machine.  I would still like to know from MOLE about what type of repairs he sees in for Kirby, but barring that information I don't need any additional information about the Oreck or, god forbid I entertain the notion of buying another one, a Hoover.

Thank you all for the helpful information!

This message was modified Dec 7, 2010 by 10lees
    CarmineD

Reply #22   Dec 7, 2010 4:11 pm
    10lees wrote:
    FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!  Wait, am I back in middle school?  And here I thought I was acting all old by posting on a vacuum discussion board (as in signs you've firmly entered middle age).

Anyhoo, I am fairly certain the Kirby is my machine.  I would still like to know from MOLE about what type of repairs he sees in for Kirby, but barring that information I don't need any additional information about the Oreck or, god forbid I entertain the notion of buying another one, a Hoover.

Thank you all for the helpful information!

Stating facts is not fighting.  Correcting one's mistatements about my own quotes here is setting the record straight for all like you who come here and read and ask advice. 

Carmine D.

Replies: 13 - 22 of 44Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
    Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
    AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
    Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
    Site by Take 42