Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Oreck Edge VS Kirby Sentria

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
10lees

Oreck Edge VS Kirby Sentria
Original Message   Dec 6, 2010 6:24 pm
Good afternoon everybody! I was hoping for some help.  I am a little torn between buy an Oreck Edge and a Kirby Sentria.  I have wanted a Kirby for a very long time, and I know how heavy it is (which seems to be the major critism everybody makes) as I used one growing up.  I believe the Kirby will keep my carpets very clean and that it will last a long time.  I would buy used/refurbished and therefore there would be no (or a very minor) warrenty.

However, today I decided to stop by an Oreck store and was very impressed with the Oreck Edge, which is the only Oreck that would work on my deep pile carpeting.  I am not convinced that it would do as well of a job and since it's a newer "edition" it doesn't appear yet on with a Seal of Approval on the Carpet and Rug Institute webpage (although many other Orecks do).  A Seal of Approval would be very important to me because I feel like they don't have a vested interest in what I buy.  (Consumer Reports doesn't seem to rate the higher end vacuums, which is disapointing).

Has anybody had experience with a deep cut-pile carpeting and what vacuum would work best? (I also glanced at a Riccar, but didn't fall in love). Anything you can do to sway me one was or the other would be helpful.  Please don't tell me the Kirby is heavy, I doubt the current version can be any heavier than the 1970s version I grew up pushing with no self propelling feature.

Replies: 7 - 16 of 44Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
10lees

Re: Oreck Edge VS Kirby Sentria
Reply #7   Dec 7, 2010 12:04 am
Online it is listed as $799 for both the Oreck Edge Upright & Canister, but at my local store it is $599 for BOTH the Oreck Edge Upright & Canister.

Does anybody have an opinion on the Kirby Ultimate G Diamond Edition (dual speed) versus the newer Kirby Sentria?

CarmineD

Reply #8   Dec 7, 2010 7:25 am
This was posted in an on-line review about the ORECK Edge and may be of interest to you.  Enjoy.  Yes, that's right.  A 3 year old is doing the vacuuming. 

Carmine D.

Some features I absolutely love:

• It is more powerful than any other upright Oreck.  There is no need to keep running it over the same spot multiple times. It picks up everything in a single pass, including the hair of my two dogs.
  • It doesn’t feel bulky, and its maneuverability makes it effortless to use.  Other units just seem heavy after using an Oreck.  Since it lies down flat while maintaining suction power, you can even use it to clean under beds.
  • The Versa-Glide true floating head makes moving from surface to surface seamless.  Since I don’t use brooms, every floor in our house gets vacuumed.  Having this feature has been priceless.
  • With variable speed control, you can set it on high for carpets or low for bare floors (or several speeds in-between).
  • There is a 10 year limited warranty on the upright and 3 year on the handheld unit.  After a long and frank conversation with the owner of our local store (aka my son’s Disneyland), I found out that Oreck machines are built to last far beyond their warranties.
  • With this warranty comes 10 free annual tune-ups, where they change out the bag and belt, take the machine apart and clean every nook and cranny possible.  Afterwards, your vacuum looks and works like new!  I LOVE this Oreck perk.  In fact, this perk alone makes the vacuum worth its weight in gold.

Other Great Features:

• Though a sturdy workhorse, it is lightweight.  Weighing in at only 13 pounds, even my son can easily use it.  Plus, it saves my bad back.
  • It has a light duty Quickwand on-board tool that you can activate without turning off the vacuum and switching equipment.  All you need to do is “park” the unit.  It’s also telescoping, so no additional extension attachments are needed.
  • It boasts being the quietest Oreck upright ever.  With his sensitive ears, my son enjoys this feature, and my infant daughter doesn’t get scared.
  • It has a long-lasting Endurolife Belt.  I don’t know exactly how long this belt lasts, but in the course of ownership of our last vacuum (that does not have the Endurolife Belt), I have only changed the belts at my annually scheduled maintenance checks.
  • The long 30-ft. cord makes for less outlet changes during your cleaning sessions.
  • The side edge brushes makes cleaning corners and along edges a breeze.
  • It’s easy to lift the vacuum up and down stairs with the carry handle in the back of the unit.

Let’s talk about allergies…

At our home, my son has horrible allergies that leave him stuffed up, coughing, and with fluid in his ears for weeks and months at a time.  Oreck’s advanced HEPA-Celoc Hypo-Allergenic filtration system in its inner and outer bags helps to eliminate 99.997% of pollen, mold, spores, dust, pet dander and other particles.  That makes mom happy.

CarmineD

Reply #9   Dec 7, 2010 8:46 am
A You Tube video of ORECK Edge upright and canister.  Enjoy.  Takes about 6 minutes to view. 

Carmine D.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSmO3fqIvD8&NR=1

Venson

Reply #10   Dec 7, 2010 9:02 am
10lees wrote:
Online it is listed as $799 for both the Oreck Edge Upright & Canister, but at my local store it is $599 for BOTH the Oreck Edge Upright & Canister.

Does anybody have an opinion on the Kirby Ultimate G Diamond Edition (dual speed) versus the newer Kirby Sentria?

One of our posters, a very good and very experienced repairman, has made mention that some two-speed users have a tendency to constantly run their machine at top speed -- assuming an advantage I'd suppose -- and incur undue wear. Technically, Kirby vacs have had two-speeds for a long time but the highest was only accessible in attachment mode. Kirby Gs clean quite well at standard speed thus there's no particular reason to dog them.

Generation to generation (new idea to new idea I mean to say) Kirby has been more or less constant. Yes, they made the floor heads wider, changed colors and so on but didn't do anything radical until the Gs. The G series had a long run with an eventual improvement in the brush roll's tuft configuration that led to much improved cleaning ability.

As for the Kirby Sentria, I think it is the same old lady save for slight changes in makeup and wardrobe. I do not believe it surpasses its "G" predecessors in any way that's significant. However, that is not new. Many pricey niche brand vacs go for years without modification before changes are made, one way or another, to make them appear new and improved and hopefully more attractive on the market.

Venson
mole

Reply #11   Dec 7, 2010 12:07 pm
Do yourself a favor and look at the PROTEAM xp1500 twin motor upright .Its the best bang for the buck out there,and By the way i sell  Kirby rebuilts and have over 40 years of repair  experience.As for the oreck its a good $ 199.00 vacuum. The kirby diamond edition is not a real 2 speed motor , it uses a control board under the motor that acts like its a 2 speed motor, the last real 2 speed motor was filter queens lamb/ G.S electric  motor thats no longer being made and are rare like hens teeth.

MOLE

P.S  dont make the wrong move..........................

This message was modified Dec 7, 2010 by mole
CarmineD

Reply #12   Dec 7, 2010 12:36 pm
mole wrote:
Do yourself a favor and look at the PROTEAM xp1500 twin motor upright .Its the best bang for the buck out there,and By the way i sell  Kirby rebuilts and have over 40 years of repair  experience.As for the oreck its a good $ 199.00 vacuum. The kirby diamond edition is not a real 2 speed motor , it uses a control board under the motor that acts like its a 2 speed motor, the last real 2 speed motor was filter queens lamb/ G.S electric  motor thats no longer being made and are rare like hens teeth.

MOLE

And it earns the CRI Gold Seal of Approval

Carmine D.

ProCare 15 XP ProCare 15 XP

10lees

Reply #13   Dec 7, 2010 12:49 pm
So Mole, as a repair man - what do you think of Kirbys in general?  I had another repair guy at my local store steer me towards the Electrolux Santaire but it feels very plastic and I am not positive about the longevity of the machines by Electrolux.
CarmineD

Reply #14   Dec 7, 2010 1:42 pm

ORECK partners with EUREKA [Electrolux] Sanitaire and produces the same upright under its own name for commercial cleaning applications.  Usually retails for $250.  As you can see, only an upright.  No on-board attachments as with the ProTeam.  Also earns the CRI seal.

Carmine D.

The Oreck Upright Vac Premier Series is designed for a wide variety of applications including: Hotels, Restaurants, Schools, and more.

Features:

• Powerful 870-watt motor deep cleans in just one pass
  • Heat overload protection system
  • Reinforced fan (virtually indestructible with lifetime warranty)
  • Ergonomic handle
  • Teflex-coated outer cloth bag (shakeout)
  • Top fill HEPA disposable filter bag
  • 50-ft. long power cord with cord strain relief allows for 100 feet of cleaning area
  • Aluminum roller brush with four bristle strips and double ball bearings
  • 12-inch cleaning path
  • Large rear wheels make transportation easy
  • 6 position manual carpet height adjustment
  • Chrome metal hood with V shaped motor vents
  • Reinforced see-thru fan chamber for fast cleaning
  • Metal on/off foot switch
  • Metal foot release pedal made from hardened steel
  • Metal bottom plate
  • Weighs just 14.5 lbs.
  • Lifetime warranty on fan
  • Magnet bar

• Chrome Metal Hood

• 12" Cleaning Path

• HEPA Filter Bag

• ORKOR101H - Oreck Commercial Upright Vacuum OR101H
    Venson

Reply #15   Dec 7, 2010 1:44 pm
    mole wrote:

MOLE

Hi mole,

I didn't know about the board. Thanks for adding to my education.

Best,

Venson
    CarmineD

Reply #16   Dec 7, 2010 2:30 pm

What do you get with a tune-up?

Oreck professionals at the Oreck Clean Home Center nearest you will:

• Replace the belt – Your vacuum’s belt should be changed every 6 to 12 months. This helps to keep the brush turning at maximum speed, which allows for greater agitation (cleaning) of your carpets.
    • Replace the worn or damaged seals – This keeps the dust that is being picked up inside the vacuum. Allows the motor to remain cleaner and also allows for better dust containment.
    • Replace the inner bag – Putting a fresh inner bag in your vacuum removes the old dust or dirt and musty odor.
    • Clean the roller brush – Cleaning the roller brush removes the hair, string and lint build-up so that the brush bearings move freely and keep the brush moving at its maximum speed. This allows for better agitation and dirt removal, which results in cleaner floors.
    • Check roller brush bearings – This allows the brush bearings to move freely and keeps the brush rotating properly and at its maximum speed.
    • Polish the commutator – This helps increase the RPMs of the motor and allows for better agitation and airflow.
    • Check all electrical connections – You’ll have comfort knowing that the vacuum is safe and that a loose connection will not stop you from tackling those dirty carpets and bare floors.
    • Clean housing and base plate inside and out – This removes old dirt, makes the vacuum more sanitary, and keeps it looking nice for years to come.
    • Clean outer bag and bag dock – As dust escapes from the inner bag, it is trapped by the outer bag. Removing this dirt, dust, pet dander etc. helps to keep the pores of the bag breathing and also helps to remove the musty odor.

How to get your free tune-ups

Step 1: Visit our store locator to search for an Oreck Store nearest you or call 1-800-289-5888. There are over 400 Oreck Stores nationwide.

Step 2: Once you have located your local Oreck Store, simply take your upright in and they will give you a tune-up at no additional charge*. Each tune-up is a $40 value.

In deference to my good friend MOLE WRT the value of ORECK and price:

If we assume as my good friend MOLE says that ORECK is a good $199 vacuum then adding the 10 free annual tune ups for $40 each would raise the ante to $599.  Then throw in the Edge canister handheld free.  You're still ahead.  Do you need an annual tuneup?  Maybe. Maybe not.  Can't hurt if you want to keep your vacuum for the long term.  As I imagine you do.  Am I recommending the ORECK.  Yes, over the Kirby Sentria.  Yes, over the HOOVER bagged lightweight Platinum.  Over the EUREKA Sanitare?  Depends on your cleaning needs.  Maybe yes maybe no.  Over the ProTeam.  No.  Definitely ProTeam over the ORECK Edge for the money.  

Carmine D.

Replies: 7 - 16 of 44Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
    Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
    AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
    Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
    Site by Take 42