Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Why Dyson is different.

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Hertz

Why Dyson is different.
Original Message   Jul 10, 2010 4:06 am
A really cool insight to the workings behind the company and how they develop what I believe to be some the most well designed vacuums with overall good-great build quality in history.
Replies: 96 - 105 of 124Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
retardturtle1

Re: Why Dyson is different.
Reply #96   Nov 23, 2010 3:34 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Without getting too entrenched in the micro economics, it's safe to say that the lower vacuum prices in the USA have not allowed total annual new vacuum units to stay the same at 20 MILLION or in fact go up, as one would expect, with all things being equal, and we know they never are.  Recession in America [worldwide] with 14 percent unemployment, falling housing prices and new starts, and the tanking US housing market, worked adversely on the economics of new vacuum sales staying the same and rising.  Including dyson where the US market represents 2/3 of its total annual new unit global sales.  Add to this, the US Federal Reserve, my good old friend Ben boy Bernanke revising economic growth in the USA downward from 3-3.5 pecent to 2-2.5 percent, not just for this year, but next.  Add too, the collapsing Euro overseas.  First Greece going bakrupt, now Ireland.  Next Spain?  and Portugal.  I expect a 2 tier Euro across the pond: Northern and Southern euro.  Add too, the USA monetizing our debt [after Keithner and Bernanke swore under oath to Congress never to do so] adding $600 BILLION on top of the 2 Trillion already under this current administration, and inflation is already starting to rear its ugly head.  Big time.  Setting off, no doubt, an increase in vacuum prices in the near future.  What will all these factors do on new vacuum unit sales in the USA?  Globally.  For the next 2 years and out.  Doesn't take a genius to know. 

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine

Is it not hard to beat a tempo overall...or a panasonic 583....versus the higher priced alternatives. Same results or better  at a far lower price...even in the long run with proper care they are both hard to beat at that price point. Why spend more when u can spend less for far better results....and a product that will last just as long as the higher priced units. Why spend more ...when you dont have to for the same results.

turtle 

CarmineD

Reply #97   Nov 23, 2010 4:30 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:
Hi Carmine

Is it not hard to beat a tempo overall...or a panasonic 583....versus the higher priced alternatives. Same results or better  at a far lower price...even in the long run with proper care they are both hard to beat at that price point. Why spend more when u can spend less for far better results....and a product that will last just as long as the higher priced units. Why spend more ...when you dont have to for the same results.

turtle 

Hello turtle:

Agree.  WRT HOOVER/TTI Tempo:  It's prices have actually risen over recent years from a low of $50-$55 to now $80 and $85 and rarely on sale/advertised.  Worth every $ plus some.  Pano makes a decent budget line of uprights. Very popular sellers among vacuum store independents and worth their prices.  I have no doubt that as the vacuum makers raise their prices on their big box store vacuums, the vacuum store independents will see a resurgence among vacuum customers for their new and rebuilt brands/models.  Hopefully, these vacuum sales, at last the new ones, not the rebulits, will balance the fall off in new vacuum sales among the big box retailers.  Sadly, no industry data/sources factor into the annual vacuum sales both new and used vacuum sales.  Nor can/should.  Except to know that to the extent big box store vacuum sales fall off, possibly even precipitously, used vacuums, rebuilts, parts and service will surge among vacuum indies.  A good thing for the industry.  Nice to see a silver lining, despite the bad economic reasons and causes for it. 

Carmine D.  

vacmanuk

Reply #98   Nov 23, 2010 5:00 pm
Well Carmine there's all the HOOVER UK uprights ; bagless and budget market made in China yet about £100 / roughly $159.88 that should be much cheaper yet aren't. Panasonic's totally outdated bagged upright vacuum sells at the same price, uses the daft 2 drive belt system and basic features against the same models you guys in the U.S have under the Miele Powerhouse upright vacuums with better features; those as well as the Hoover uprights are made in China. The Vax Life bagless stick vac / Hoover U.S Lynx "bagless" stick vac is £200 plus / $319.74 TTi yet should be far cheaper to buy - no other cordless stick vac in the UK is priced so highly.
CarmineD

Reply #99   Nov 23, 2010 5:29 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Well Carmine there's all the HOOVER UK uprights ; bagless and budget market made in China yet about £100 / roughly $159.88 that should be much cheaper yet aren't. Panasonic's totally outdated bagged upright vacuum sells at the same price, uses the daft 2 drive belt system and basic features against the same models you guys in the U.S have under the Miele Powerhouse upright vacuums with better features; those as well as the Hoover uprights are made in China. The Vax Life bagless stick vac / Hoover U.S Lynx "bagless" stick vac is £200 plus / $319.74 TTi yet should be far cheaper to buy - no other cordless stick vac in the UK is priced so highly.

Hi vacmanuk:

Overall, would you say that the median prices of vacuums sold at UK big box retailers have gone up or down [or stayed the same] over the last 3-5 years [excluding dyson brand]?  How do these recent vacuum price trends compare to median vacuum prices in the UK in 2000 and soon after with the adoption of the euro?

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #100   Nov 24, 2010 8:41 am

Hi Vacmanuk: 

The HOOVER LiNx cordless stick vac sells for $179 here in the US at most retailers and as low as $135 on Amazon.       Substantially less than the $319 US in the UK.

Carmine D.       

Hoover LINX Cordless Stick Vacuum
vacmanuk

Reply #101   Nov 24, 2010 9:32 am
CarmineD wrote:

Hi Vacmanuk: 

The HOOVER LiNx cordless stick vac sells for $179 here in the US at most retailers and as low as $135 on Amazon.       Substantially less than the $319 US in the UK.

Carmine D.       

Hoover LINX Cordless Stick Vacuum

I know! The U.S version is substantially cheaper. Ive thought about it, but would probably need a transformer to get around the charging issue. It is a nonsense really that Vax think they can charge that kind of money.

To answer your last question, the "median" prices of the Hoover and Panasonic products have increased to meet price comparing with Dyson products. Most people who go to Big Box high street places in the UK like Comet, Currys, John Lewis or Euronics can sample the models themselves and will usually find by moving the different parts, the difference in quality and feel with some products. At smaller franchises like House of Frasers stores (and their associated sub-names in England) you can try a few models in the shop as well as at John Lewis. That means buyers can feel and test the products for themselves.
Venson

Reply #102   Nov 24, 2010 12:17 pm
At least people there are getting the opportunity to try them out. Considering what the Hoover rechargeable stick is, it would be great to test them before buying. However, I wonder if all that many stores here want them tested because of the price. Certainly not an encouragement to buy.

The same as with some other machines, I think buyers making assumptions by way of price may be a little surprised once they're home with the thing out of the box and in use.

I may have mentioned a department supervisor at a major chain store saying that she had been instructed to remove all demo rugs. I learned since I'd last spoke to her that she'd been chewed for trying to quietly bring the demo rugs back into her department to make the customers happy. However, since our big boxers" are allowed to get away with it, the idea has crept over the line to major stores now. Everybody wants to get into the act by acclimatizing customers to buying on blind faith and returning the item if they don't like it. Or is there some sort of statistic regarding this "pay and walk away" scheme that proves once we get it home, like or not, we'll learn to live with it?

Venson
This message was modified Nov 24, 2010 by Venson

CarmineD

Reply #103   Nov 24, 2010 3:11 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
I know! The U.S version is substantially cheaper. Ive thought about it, but would probably need a transformer to get around the charging issue. It is a nonsense really that Vax think they can charge that kind of money.

To answer your last question, the "median" prices of the Hoover and Panasonic products have increased to meet price comparing with Dyson products. Most people who go to Big Box high street places in the UK like Comet, Currys, John Lewis or Euronics can sample the models themselves and will usually find by moving the different parts, the difference in quality and feel with some products. At smaller franchises like House of Frasers stores (and their associated sub-names in England) you can try a few models in the shop as well as at John Lewis. That means buyers can feel and test the products for themselves.

I opine that the euro may keep vacuum prices artificially high in the UK and Europe than in the USA.  Since a number of countries use the euro currency across boundaries and borders as their standard of currency.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Nov 24, 2010 by CarmineD
retardturtle1

Reply #104   Nov 24, 2010 5:08 pm
Venson wrote:
At least people there are getting the opportunity to try them out. Considering what the Hoover rechargeable stick is, it would be great to test them before buying. However, I wonder if all that many stores here want them tested because of the price. Certainly not an encouragement to buy.

The same as with some other machines, I think buyers making assumptions by way of price may be a little surprised once they're home with the thing out of the box and in use.

I may have mentioned a department supervisor at a major chain store saying that she had been instructed to remove all demo rugs. I learned since I'd last spoke to her that she'd been chewed for trying to quietly bring the demo rugs back into her department to make the customers happy. However, since our big boxers" are allowed to get away with it, the idea has crept over the line to major stores now. Everybody wants to get into the act by acclimatizing customers to buying on blind faith and returning the item if they don't like it. Or is there some sort of statistic regarding this "pay and walk away" scheme that proves once we get it home, like or not, we'll learn to live with it?

Venson

Hi Venson

Sad but true.....should be a demo vac for every  vac that is on the shelf.....ready for a test run....demo rugs ect.. but it seems to be a thing of the past. Thats why an indie is the best place to shop/research and demo a vac....from those who really care and know what works and what doesnt....something a major chain cant/wont offer.

just my view

turtle

CarmineD

Reply #105   Nov 25, 2010 7:39 am
retardturtle1 wrote:
Hi Venson

Sad but true.....should be a demo vac for every  vac that is on the shelf.....ready for a test run....demo rugs ect.. but it seems to be a thing of the past. Thats why an indie is the best place to shop/research and demo a vac....from those who really care and know what works and what doesnt....something a major chain cant/wont offer.

just my view

turtle

Buying a cat in the bag has been a mainstay of the big box retailers, nothing new.  Indies had and have the advantage to provide buyers/shoppers with their expertise. 

Carmine D.

Replies: 96 - 105 of 124Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42