Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
budmattingly

Garage Vac
Original Message   Oct 16, 2010 4:13 am
Just wondered if anyone has seen these yet? I bought one and really like it.

http://www.garagevac.com

Bud

This message was modified Oct 16, 2010 by budmattingly
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Garage Vac
Reply #1   Oct 16, 2010 7:26 am
budmattingly wrote:

Bud

Hello Bud:

New to me.  Very impressive.  Nice video.  Good web site.  Like the description and explanation about horsepower which covers issues and points made here by posters.  Nice attachments too.  Great features.  Bags are reasonable at $3 per for HEPA.  6 year warranty with ESP's extra.  I wouldn't recommend the ESP's.  Price a tad on the high side but it's USA made.  So it goes to the home team.  Thanks for posting. 

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #2   Oct 17, 2010 5:20 am
Hi Bud,

Yes, I've seen these.  There's a similar version meant to serve as a central vac in small dwellings and apartments.  What's the power like?

I ask that because the models mentioned do not apear to have fans or motors larger than a regular canister vac's. Possibly the 12 amps makes a difference if it cleans well.  From my own experience, beyond 14 feet of hose length there was suction drop-off due to friction -- at least that's how it was explained to me when I asked why there was suction loss when I tried using a longer hose on a standard canister machine I had.  Does two fans and 12 amps mean anyone of a mind to can have longer than usual hoses made up for their cans or clean-air uprights do as well?

The idea has been out there for years.  Mostly as basic canister vac components with standard size disposable vac bags in metal casings that allowed for flush-mount installation.  There was, and still may be, an American outfit that manufactured a flush-mount cabinet unit that stored everything inside (retractable hose, power nozzle and other tools) for household use.  Canadian Cubby-Vac offers tthe same but as separate pieces.

http://www.cubbyvac.com/cubbyvac_spec.php

Being an apartment dewller I like the idea of a wall-mount vacuum -- if you've got some place to put it -- as it might simplify life.  In any event, though I've had the inclination to try out  the idea I haven't had enough freed up "fun money" to follow through and learn how well they work.  thus, I'm very interested to know how well your vac does.

Venson

This message was modified Oct 17, 2010 by Venson
budmattingly

Reply #3   Oct 17, 2010 8:19 am
Hi Venson,

They also make a model that will mount inside the wall, like a central vac. I have this mounted in the front of my garage. (only electrical outlet) The 8ft hose stretches to the end of my two car garage without losing any noticable suction. However with that said, I did not like the pull back you get with the stretch hose and ordered another 8ft stretch hose to use with it. The company called me and suggested the 30 ft central vacuum hose, but I didn't want all that hose just laying around. They made me a couping to link the two 8ft hoses together, but warned of significant suction loss if extended 80ft. I assured them that I just did not like the pull back when vacuuming my car. The hose goes under or over the door and I did not want to mark the paint from the pull back. With the two hoses together, they reach beyond my garage without any stretching, so I am using 16ft of hose. I did not notice a reduction in suction. Leaves had blown into my garage and I was able to vacuum them up without clogging the hose. The tools that come with this are horsehair or white soft bristles. I used the white long soft and I mean soft bristle brush for the car dash board and nooks and crannies. Wonderful job. The floor brush I wasn't sure about, but actually like it now. It has a cut out along the front of the brush and leaves etc  go right in and get vacuumed away. I have only had this for a couple of weeks, but so far I am very pleased with it and the fact that the company actually questioned my use of an extra hose and called me.

The motor seems to be well built, it winds down similar to a high end canister vacuum like Miele or Sebo's. The hepa type bag is a nice touch as well. The inside of the bag compartment has a washable motor filter under the hepa type bag and so far both the inside of the bag compartment and the filter are like brand new. Garage's always have some fine dust, when I used my Electrolux out there it would trigger a bag change after a couple of uses.It will be interesting to see how often I will have to change these Hepa type cloth bags.

Bud

This message was modified Oct 17, 2010 by budmattingly
vacmanuk

Reply #4   Oct 17, 2010 11:58 am
budmattingly wrote:

Bud

I think that's a great idea although it looks like it has the same daft dusting brush that Miele make (SUB 10) and who market it as a "blind cleaning brush," but in this video the brush makes a lot more sense being used in a garage or car scenario. Most UK buyers I know have an old fashioned tub/canister in their garage to make do. With this, it just sits in one place and oodles of hose - a great idea!
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42