Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Oneida Dust Deputy Cyclone System - for shop vacs

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Oneida Dust Deputy Cyclone System - for shop vacs
Original Message   Oct 5, 2010 2:39 pm
Interesting contraption to convert a shop vac into a dual cyclonic dirt collection system. 

http://www.dustdeputy.com/index.htm
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=22062
http://store.oneida-air.com/dust-deputy-diy.aspx
http://www.amazon.com/cyclone-5-gallon-diameter-assembly-hardware/dp/B002MMIJBQ

review - http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/879

Perhaps some day a manufacturer will work a cyclonic system into a shop vac...  

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Oneida Dust Deputy Cyclone System - for shop vacs
Reply #1   Oct 6, 2010 7:32 am
Very interesting SEVERUS.  I gleaned the write-ups and reviews and have to go back again and read more thoroughly.  I'm surprised that a cyclone application hasn't already been incorporated into the traditional shop vacuums.  Certainly begs the question why.

The Oneida retrofit is best suited for a permanent spote application like a work shop bench and under bench usage.  Not effective for portability and cleaning.  Of course, it adds another machine to the clean up time and effort.  Not user friendly in that regard.  Sort of like a Jim Keeler bagless for shop vacs.

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #2   Oct 6, 2010 12:39 pm
This has aready been done I think.  There is a pleated-filter collection canister sans motor that can be hooked up to regular household vacums and central vacuums systems for "nasty work" like  clean -up after in-home construction, etc. It's 50 buck or so price range is not necessarily a help for stuff you might not want to use your household or central vac for as you may buy a separate vac intended for the same kind of work separately and at the same price.  The idea fits-- only rough-style -- for a household that may have an expensive vacuum that it desires to press into out-of-the-ordinary duty.  This still poves impractical as a separate vacuum made for the job would price the same and require the same amount of storage space. By the way you can whip up the same thing with a large Home Depot paint bucket (cost is not even ten bucks), a shop vac 2-inch hose, a utility knife and some duct tape for far less.  I did.

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #3   Oct 6, 2010 4:54 pm
Venson wrote:
This has aready been done I think.  There is a pleated-filter collection canister sans motor that can be hooked up to regular household vacums and central vacuums systems for "nasty work" like  clean -up after in-home construction, etc. It's 50 buck or so price range is not necessarily a help for stuff you might not want to use your household or central vac for as you may buy a separate vac intended for the same kind of work separately and at the same price.  The idea fits-- only rough-style -- for a household that may have an expensive vacuum that it desires to press into out-of-the-ordinary duty.  This still poves impractical as a separate vacuum made for the job would price the same and require the same amount of storage space. By the way you can whip up the same thing with a large Home Depot paint bucket (cost is not even ten bucks), a shop vac 2-inch hose, a utility knife and some duct tape for far less.  I did.

Venson

Perhaps too Venson bulk pick up in cyclone bagless puts more emphasis on user maintenance and service.  Not exactly suer friendly for people wanting to deal with the vacuums as little as possible in cost and time.

Carmine D.

Hertz

Reply #4   Oct 11, 2010 1:17 am
CarmineD wrote:
I'm surprised that a cyclone application hasn't already been incorporated into the traditional shop vacuums.  Certainly begs the question why.

1.) Cost more money 2.) People don't think outside the box. 3.) If not design properly, can be more $#%*bersome. List goes on, but eventually people figure out a smarter design and use it over a dumber, less efficient design.
This message was modified Oct 11, 2010 by Hertz
CarmineD

Reply #5   Oct 11, 2010 3:25 am
Hertz wrote:
1.) Cost more money 2.) People don't think outside the box. 3.) If not design properly, can be more $#%*bersome. List goes on, but eventually people figure out a smarter design and use it over a dumber, less efficient design.

I was thinking specifically about the dyson brand when I posted this thought about cyclonic shop vacs.  It would seem a logical by-product of the dyson brand.  Maybe eventually, like you said, dyson will figure it out and try.

Carmine D.

Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42