Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Best Vacuum for Wool Berber Carpets, Laminate & Tile

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
MBZimm

Best Vacuum for Wool Berber Carpets, Laminate & Tile
Original Message   Sep 29, 2010 2:32 am
We just had wool berber wall-to-wall carpeting installed in several rooms of our home. The manufacturer recommends a suction only vacuum, without a beater bar to "avoid excessive fuzzing."
First, is a beater bar and a brush roll the same thing on a vacuum?
And second what's my best bet for a vacuum? We have 700-square-feet of wool berber carpets, 600-square-feet of laminate and 200-square-feet of tile (including stairs) to vacuum. We own two boxers (dogs) that shed short hair and live in a dusty (agricultural) area.
At the recommendation of a local shop we tried out a Miele Titan (with 217 head) with the brush roll on (they're some of the softest brushes according to sales person). We used it for a while on a remnant of our carpet and I noticed what I think is some fuzzing so I worry that with extended use we will really wear into the carpet. Is there anything with some kind of brush roll or option other than straight suction to really get the dog hair up? Or something with enough suction not to worry about it?
The Miele seemed to do a very nice job but we're struggling for an accurate comparison point.

THANK YOU!!!
Replies: 16 - 25 of 37Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
hooverman

Re: Best Vacuum for Wool Berber Carpets, Laminate & Tile
Reply #16   Oct 21, 2010 4:57 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Oh My.. I didnt realise it was a best seller. I just went to Hoover.com and looked at a model that seemed good value for money. You guys are lucky. When I convert the price into UK pounds, that's about £101.04 and for that money you can't even buy a Dyson over here for that kind of cash! Infact the comparative model that even gets close to the Hoover I listed on here yesterday would be our "best selling brand," Vax (thanks to TTi and Hoover U.S Windtunnel) VZL-6013/AL upright which doesn't have half the features the Hoover has. You guys may well have seen it before under a Hoover Windtunnel deriative;

Now let's not say about Vax (Vax USA)  Vax USA is NOT TTI; they're WORSE than anything TTI makes.  I'd rather have a Regina Housekeeper or a XXX Tandem Air anyday over Vax X5.
vacmanuk

Reply #17   Oct 21, 2010 5:26 pm
Eh News flash Hooverman - Vax U.S is owned by TTi. See the main profile page: http://www.vaxusa.com/
Aviori7

Reply #18   Nov 27, 2010 5:58 am
I have been in the cleaning industry for a while and not even from my own experience, I would recommend you considering a Dyson Ball vacuum since its brush roll can be turned off to protect carpets or any other sensitive surface.
This message was modified Jun 7, 2014 by a moderator
CarmineD

Reply #19   Nov 27, 2010 8:37 am

Don't know firsthand from personal experience but I suspect the dyson ball models would be noisey on hard floors and ceramic tiles, especially on uneven surfaces.  I opine that constant use on these uneven ceramic floors would wear out the plastic ball surface in short order. 

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #20   Nov 28, 2010 6:05 am
Ive worked in commercial cleaning places for a number of years (15+) and in all that time I've always used either SEBO bagged uprights (those BS 360s and the newer versions) or bagged cylinder vacuums like the British Numatic Henry. In both applications,you need a vacuum that can get under low furniture as well as bagging the dirt for cleanliness. When timing is against you and dirt pick up is essential brush roll on/off functions are notorious for breaking under undue pressure. PLUS, the ball doesn't go under low furniture because of its size. Dyson did have a commercial bagless upright model but it was based on the DC04 called Constant Max but had lower suction and a replaceable cord. Quite a rare model and under the "constant max" name.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX10UoFo7j4
vacmanuk

Reply #21   Nov 28, 2010 6:19 pm
For those interested here are a few snippets from Which's latest vacuum cleaner tests (UK):

Dyson DC33 (new, basic upright - DC14 w/clutch, with improved DC27/28 cyclone pack and tools, and new lightweight ABS extension wand): 'This Best Buy upright vacuum cleaner from Dyson gives outstanding results on all types of flooring, and excels at removing stubborn pet hair. The filtration system is so effective that it locks virtually all of the dust and allergens away safely, so it's a great choice for those with allergies.'

Oreck XL3: '...it's mediocre on carpet, good on laminate, and poor on floorboards - where it fails to extract the dirt from the cracks.

It leaves a large rim or dust around the edge of the room as the suction only works underneath the head. This cleaner has a headlight at the front - perhaps so that you can see what you're missing.'

Vax Mach Zen: '...removes impressive amounts of dirt from floorboards, reaching deep into the crevices. It's also good on laminates and carpets, and the head gets close to the skirting to clean right up to the edges.
(TTi)
CarmineD

Reply #22   Nov 29, 2010 6:58 am
vacmanuk wrote:
For those interested here are a few snippets from Which's latest vacuum cleaner tests (UK):

Dyson DC33 (new, basic upright - DC14 w/clutch, with improved DC27/28 cyclone pack and tools, and new lightweight ABS extension wand): 'This Best Buy upright vacuum cleaner from Dyson gives outstanding results on all types of flooring, and excels at removing stubborn pet hair. The filtration system is so effective that it locks virtually all of the dust and allergens away safely, so it's a great choice for those with allergies.'

Thanks VacmanUK on the Which? latest, especially DC33.  Consumer Reports has not tested yet, but appears that this "budget" model may finally make the CR hall of fame, rather than hall of shame.  Interestingly, most retailers in the USA are selling this latest and greatest dyson, which has an MSRP of $399, for 20-25 percent off MSRP at $289-$299.  For the first time in awhile perhaps a dyson worth the price.   

Carmine D. 

HARDSELL

Reply #23   Nov 30, 2010 10:42 am
CarmineD wrote:
Thanks VacmanUK on the Which? latest, especially DC33.  Consumer Reports has not tested yet, but appears that this "budget" model may finally make the CR hall of fame, rather than hall of shame.  Interestingly, most retailers in the USA are selling this latest and greatest dyson, which has an MSRP of $399, for 20-25 percent off MSRP at $289-$299.  For the first time in awhile perhaps a dyson worth the price.   

Carmine D. 

Also reinforces what I have said about Oreck for years.  $400 for a vac that will not remove dirt.  
vacmanuk

Reply #24   Nov 30, 2010 11:15 am
HARDSELL wrote:
Also reinforces what I have said about Oreck for years.  $400 for a vac that will not remove dirt.  

Doesnt really reinforce anything, HS. I'm already in dispute with Which having found quite a few errors in their test reviews where they are prepared to let mass produced European named products win "Best Buy," award seals where the Oreck's performance is poor. It isn't exactly black and white with this company!
CarmineD

Reply #25   Nov 30, 2010 1:28 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Doesnt really reinforce anything, HS. I'm already in dispute with Which having found quite a few errors in their test reviews where they are prepared to let mass produced European named products win "Best Buy," award seals where the Oreck's performance is poor. It isn't exactly black and white with this company!

One of the features of note on the ORECK XL3 is a longer softer tuft of brush roll hair vice the traditional stiffer ORECK brush rolls.  Hence, I'm not surprised by the mediocre results claimed by Which? on carpets in concert with the lesser suction of a full sized upright vacuum.  The softer tufts work well on hard surfaces than on rugs.  It's a trade off [softer bristles] on rugs and edge cleaning vice the Classic ORECK's and stiffer brush roll hair.  Also, the XL3 is sold in concert with the ORECK compact canister for above the floor and edge cleaning.  Usually both at $299 or less [if you forgo the gifts provided for the in-home trial] on sale by most big box retailers in the USA who are now offering ORECK products.  And the traditional XL sells for $200 minus the compact canister.  Both sales venues, solo upright sales and big box retail sellers for ORECK products, are ORECK's latest marketing features to keep sales humming in the recession and the down USA housing market.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Nov 30, 2010 by CarmineD
Replies: 16 - 25 of 37Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42