Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Dyson thief should have checked consumer reports????

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Dyson thief should have checked consumer reports????
Original Message   Sep 28, 2010 5:47 pm
Interesting opinion piece. 

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/home/2010/09/dyson-vacuum-thief-should-have-checked-consumer-reports-.html

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Replies: 7 - 16 of 26Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Dyson thief should have checked consumer reports????
Reply #7   Oct 11, 2010 2:33 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
I just joined Which? UK Consumer testing yesterday (similar testing site to GHI/CR) and found the following table on their website for vacuum reliability. I do hope the thief is not in the UK:

Upright vacuum cleaner Which? reliability index

Brand  Score

Miele  96%
Sebo  96%
Kirby  89%
Oreck 87%
Panasonic 85%
Vax   84%
Dyson 79%
Electrolux  79%
Hoover  71%

I would like to reiterate that even though I'm not always in favour of consumer testing stats my own experience of Dyson has been below par. However the best model I owned that lasted a lot longer despite filtration problems was the original DC01. It was built and felt better to handle than a lot of the newer Dyson uprights out there that have been built with thinner plastics and bits.

Thanks vacmanuk.  I like the UK Which? reliability rating schedule for several reasons.  Intuitively it appears realistic.  This gives truth to the findings.  I suggest Consumer Reports revamp its reliability system and implement the same system as Which?  I know independent vacuum store owners and operators who take huge exceptions with the CR vacuum reliabilty data.  My thoughts are CR is aware of the shortcomings too and adds all the notes and caveats to the repair/reliability percentages for that reason.  Unfortunately these caveats negate CR's reliability data usefulness.

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #8   Oct 11, 2010 6:50 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Thanks vacmanuk.  I like the UK Which? reliability rating schedule for several reasons.  Intuitively it appears realistic.  This gives truth to the findings.  I suggest Consumer Reports revamp its reliability system and implement the same system as Which?  I know independent vacuum store owners and operators who take huge exceptions with the CR vacuum reliabilty data.  My thoughts are CR is aware of the shortcomings too and adds all the notes and caveats to the repair/reliability percentages for that reason.  Unfortunately these caveats negate CR's reliability data usefulness.

Carmine D.

Hi guys,

Maybe . . . but aren't these ratings based on consumer feedback?  I'd take some caution here. Kirby vacuums, as an instance, are more in number for report in the U.S. than in the U.K. I'd like a comparison of user input data first  -- how many versus how many.  I would not expect results for this kind of rating to exactly match up on both side of the sea.

This is much like the U.S. voting system.  An election win here can be called a landslide if merely one-fourth of eligible voters out of how many hundred million inhabitants of the country turn up at the polls and then a large majority of those few cast a vote for x-candidate.

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #9   Oct 11, 2010 7:28 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi guys,

Maybe . . . but aren't these ratings based on consumer feedback?  I'd take some caution here. Kirby vacuums, as an instance, are more in number for report in the U.S. than in the U.K. I'd like a comparison of user input data first  -- how many versus how many.  I would not expect results for this kind of rating to exactly match up on both side of the sea.

This is much like the U.S. voting system.  An election win here can be called a landslide if merely one-fourth of eligible voters out of how many hundred million inhabitants of the country turn up at the polls and then a large majority of those few cast a vote for x-candidate.

Venson

Hi Venson:

Yes, Consumer Reports' reliability data for vacuums are driven by consumers' reported data.  Not vacuum repair and industry professional/technical staffs.  At issue for me with CR, based on the consumer driven data, is the number of survey responses received for each brand over the useful life of the models.  I believe there is a built in bias for a lower CR score when more survey responses are received for a particular brand/s which tend to be used longer by users.  Like expensive brands such as MIELE and SEBO.  Similarly, the CR reliability bias favors a better reliability rating for brands with fewer responses and/or that are disposable after a few years.  

To level the scores, the survey data needs to be judged on what constitutes reliability repair problems.  For example, ORECK routinely provides free annual service/check ups and repairs with the purchase of many of its products.   If ORECK customers take advantage of the free services, the ORECK brand is dinged as less reliable because it requires more frequent returns to the shop. 

More expensive brands like MIELE and SEBO are returned more frequently over the course of their useful life [usually 20 plus years] to the vacuum shops for repairs.  But they last longer and provide more years of service to their owners in the process.  Less expensive brands, say $50-$100 BISSELL's, Dirt Devils, and Eurekas may be used for a year or so, then scrubbed for a new vacuum soon after the warranty ends rather than repaired/returned to repair centers for service.  These disposables have fewer trips to the repair shops with lesser years of useful live.  But they appear in the CR data to perform as well or better for reliability than more expensive brands that tend to be repaired more frequently BUT used as many as 20 plus years. 

Ideally the best mix of reliability data is both consumer and industry driven.  With the details presented for readers/buyers of the particular brands and models for their years of ownership and service, and types and costs of repairs over their total useful lives.  The drawback to collecting and reporting this way is that some brands and models don't last that long on the market.  Hence, they do well in CR surveys because not many are sold and reported on over a long period of time.  Another bias in CR reporting.  Just like cheap disposables.  The more and sooner a brand brings new models to market, and scrubs the old, the better the brand's reliability ratings.  Why?  CR really needs 4 or more years to collect trend data on a brand and model for reliability purposes.  If the models are discontinued every year or two, and replaced with completely new models, there are less consumer surveys received and less repairs reported.  For CR that combination translates into better reliability data reported.  IMHO.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Oct 11, 2010 by CarmineD
vacmanuk

Reply #10   Oct 11, 2010 9:29 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi guys,

Venson

Maybe the data is collected from consumer feedback Venson, but I've read more damaging UK reports on Kirby online than anywhere else. That kind of puts a slant against the high percentage that Which have found.
This message was modified Oct 11, 2010 by vacmanuk
Lucky1

Reply #11   Oct 12, 2010 4:01 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi Hertz,

I like Kenmore and have owned Kenmore.  I can say without reservation a good number of Kenmore's better vacs are comparable to Miele's despite a few shortcomings.  "popular".

Venson

Venson In my short time in the business I can see a demonstrative difference in the Panasonic made Kenmore. Each new model seems to have shortcuts and less material build in them then their predecessors. This is without bias as I rely on these Panasonic machines to be my $300-$450 canisters and am quite dismayed.
CarmineD

Reply #12   Oct 12, 2010 4:14 pm
Lucky1 wrote:
Venson In my short time in the business I can see a demonstrative difference in the Panasonic made Kenmore. Each new model seems to have shortcuts and less material build in them then their predecessors. This is without bias as I rely on these Panasonic machines to be my $300-$450 canisters and am quite dismayed.

I agree with you here also.  And attempted to make this point in a different way some time back when the thread dealt with these matters.  I believe Pano sold out to SEARS Kenmore [read compromised] to keep the on-going guaranteed out source business and money coming in.  I think Pano still makes a decent budget line while its high end makes and models have slid in build quality and longevity.  Pano/SEARS Kenmore needs to come into the 21 century with its warranty periods too rather than charging exorbitant amounts to customers for extended service plans for free service and parts beyond the meager one year warranty.  Most especially on their high end highh priced models.

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #13   Oct 12, 2010 8:17 pm
It's a real pity Kenmore didn't stay with SEBO when they did.
CarmineD

Reply #14   Oct 13, 2010 4:10 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
It's a real pity Kenmore didn't stay with SEBO when they did.

I'd opine that it was SEBO that said good bye and good riddance.

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #15   Oct 13, 2010 8:30 pm
Lucky1 wrote:

Hiya Lucky!,

Point noted.  Nonetheless, I am not adept enough of mind to discern whether Kenmore vac owners I've encountered are generally happy campers or lambs led to the slaughter. Few people are demanding to try these machines before sale so who knows if they even think about workmanship unless something breaks unduly early in the game.  As chance would have it, lately, I've been in and out of a few Sears stores quite frequently -- I've really got to get a life --  but have yet to see or hear much complaint from owners coming in for bags and parts.

The very newest canisters, not resemblent of the usual Pano/Kenmore models, I'd have to agree do look a bit on the flimsy side..

The only complaint I've heard thus far was rather odd.  A woman who owns a Kenmore Progressive beltless upright claimed she at times had problems pushing it.  I asked if she had the carpet height properly adjusted, if it proved hard to push just after she'd installed a new bag (thinking a fresh bag might allow for enough suction pull to cause extra resistance), Per the lady in mention, it boils down to same rug, no different manner of vacuuming, no change in settings.  There are just times she finds the vacuum hard to push and others that she doesn't.

My first impulse was to suggest she run see a doctor for a physical.  Instead I said she should take the machine to an indie shop to learn if the problem could be sorted out.  She asked why an indie instead of Sears.  I explained that I'd made the suggestion as the cleaner is three years old and probably out of warranty and that an indie might proved an explanation or solution in a less costly fashion.

I've never had an on and off problem like that with a vacuum.  They either perform or don't. An off-the-wall idea but I can't imagine that the situation might be due to intermittent humidity levels making pushing a vacuum easily sometimes a go and sometimes not.

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #16   Oct 14, 2010 7:18 am
Venson wrote:
Hiya Lucky!,

Point noted.  Nonetheless, I am not adept enough of mind to discern whether Kenmore vac owners I've encountered are generally happy campers or lambs led to the slaughter. Few people are demanding to try these machines before sale so who knows if they even think about workmanship unless something breaks unduly early in the game.  As chance would have it, lately, I've been in and out of a few Sears stores quite frequently -- I've really got to get a life --  but have yet to see or hear much complaint from owners coming in for bags and parts.

The very newest canisters, not resemblent of the usual Pano/Kenmore models, I'd have to agree do look a bit on the flimsy side..

The only complaint I've heard thus far was rather odd.  A woman who owns a Kenmore Progressive beltless upright claimed she at times had problems pushing it.  I asked if she had the carpet height properly adjusted, if it proved hard to push just after she'd installed a new bag (thinking a fresh bag might allow for enough suction pull to cause extra resistance), Per the lady in mention, it boils down to same rug, no different manner of vacuuming, no change in settings.  There are just times she finds the vacuum hard to push and others that she doesn't.

My first impulse was to suggest she run see a doctor for a physical.  Instead I said she should take the machine to an indie shop to learn if the problem could be sorted out.  She asked why an indie instead of Sears.  I explained that I'd made the suggestion as the cleaner is three years old and probably out of warranty and that an indie might proved an explanation or solution in a less costly fashion.

I've never had an on and off problem like that with a vacuum.  They either perform or don't. An off-the-wall idea but I can't imagine that the situation might be due to intermittent humidity levels making pushing a vacuum easily sometimes a go and sometimes not.

Venson

Hi Venson:

I'd offer the new bag too as a reason for difficulty to push AND the pile and pattern of the rug.  Ease and difficulty of pushing and pulling vacuums oftentimes is dependent on the direction of the vacuum over the rug pile and fibers: against versus with.  Most times users can alter the direction and see/feel the difference.  Other times due to the placement of furniture and small size of the carpet being cleaned versus size of vacuum, user can't and has top tough it out.  Certainly adjusting the rug height higher may ease the push pull weight but degrade the cleaning and grooming.

Carmine D.

Replies: 7 - 16 of 26Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42