Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > The "Donate a Dyson" Program . . .

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Venson

The "Donate a Dyson" Program . . .
Original Message   Aug 9, 2010 1:28 am
Well, ol' JD's gone and done it again.  Apparently out to impress with charitable works he's teamed up with Australian retailer, the Harvey Norman Group.  Dyson HEPA vacuums are being donated to families with children troubled by asthma.  The article I discovered say the "Donate a Dyson Program" is two years old.

And the deal is -- For every nine Dyson HEPA vacuum cleaners sold (up to a maximum value of RRP$500,000) Dyson will donate a HEPA vacuum to a family who has children with asthma.

Link to to article,
http://www.current.com.au/2010/08/09/article/Harvey-Norman-group-team-up-with-Dyson-in-asthma-campaign/DNCLGBOQTH.html

As usual, aren't all Dyson vacuums HEPA vacuums?  AND, hasn't the issue regarding highly dust-sensitive users and bagless vacuums been about dust exposure when emptying NOT air  filtration?

Nonetheless, I'm taking Jimmy D's example to heart.  I'm heading to Alaska to sell Dysons to the Eskimos.  I'll give them free snow and a "Drill baby, drill!!" button for each one they buy.

But, to be fair . . .The Electrolux people in Australia are giving away towels with the the sale of their floor care appliances.  Buy enough and you could start your own bed-and-breakfast or public gym.  Membership fees or room rentals would cover the entire cost of a machine in no time.

Article is here:
http://www.current.com.au/2010/08/06/article/Electrolux-Floor-Care-giving-consumers-and-rivals-a-towelling/FXHXRYJCFI

Venson

Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
Vacuumfreeeke

Re: The "Donate a Dyson" Program . . .
Reply #1   Aug 9, 2010 1:38 am
Yes, it seems quite absurd that he would be doing that... every smart person knows bagless vacuums are bad for people with allergies and asthma.  I guess if they had someone else empty it OUTSIDE it wouldn't be as bad, but still, bagless vacuums don't filter well, even with HEPAS, and the machines themselves are usually covered in dust.  If you put a particle counter up to a Dyson, then try it on a Miele, there is of course an obvious difference..... but a Dyson is still a decent machine, and is probably an upgrade for most of the people he's giving them to.
Hertz

Reply #2   Aug 9, 2010 4:31 am
A Dyson has been proven to filter better than a Riccar and a SEBO, as per Miele's own test: http://www.mieleusa.com/products/benefits/filtration.asp?nav=30&snav=24&tnav=26&oT=272&benefit=119 - Dyson vacuums filter *VERY* well, and as long as one empties the bin carefully and wraps the garbage bag around the bin when doing so, the amount of dust "leaked" will be extremely negligible to the point of basically emptying outside.
CarmineD

Reply #3   Aug 9, 2010 7:27 am
What you didn't say about the study is exactly as Vacuumfreeeke said:  The spokesperson for the MIELE study said once a bagless user [dyson included] opens the bin to dump, the particle meter can't measure the quantity of dust and dirt released into the room air and breathed by the occupants.  I can quote it for you here again if you like.  Perhaps you missed it again.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #4   Aug 9, 2010 7:30 am
Hertz wrote:
A Dyson has been proven to filter better than a Riccar and a SEBO, as per Miele's own test: http://www.mieleusa.com/products/benefits/filtration.asp?nav=30&snav=24&tnav=26&oT=272&benefit=119 - Dyson vacuums filter *VERY* well, and as long as one empties the bin carefully and wraps the garbage bag around the bin when doing so, the amount of dust "leaked" will be extremely negligible to the point of basically emptying outside.

It is absolutely ridiculous to do this with a bagless.  It defeats the purpose of using a bagless.  Might as well use a bagged vacuum.  For persons who suffer with severe allergies and asthma, bagged vacuums are recommended not bagless. 

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #5   Aug 9, 2010 2:00 pm
CarmineD wrote:
It is absolutely ridiculous to do this with a bagless.  It defeats the purpose of using a bagless.  Might as well use a bagged vacuum.  For persons who suffer with severe allergies and asthma, bagged vacuums are recommended not bagless. 

Carmine D.

I agree Carmine. But then don't take our word for it. Just find out a major hospital that uses a Dyson for dust pick up. If its not good enough for health professionals then there must be something wrong with a bagless that claims to have better filtration than a bagged vacuum, regardless of the brand. Most UK hospitals use Nilfisk or Sebo when it comes to vacuums.
Actionvac

Reply #6   Aug 11, 2010 4:02 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
I agree Carmine. But then don't take our word for it. Just find out a major hospital that uses a Dyson for dust pick up. If its not good enough for health professionals then there must be something wrong with a bagless that claims to have better filtration than a bagged vacuum, regardless of the brand. Most UK hospitals use Nilfisk or Sebo when it comes to vacuums.

Ha funny! I was in a hospital recently and they were pushing a rattly Panasonic with no dust cover on it LOL I told the gal it would not work like that and she gave me a shrug
Lucky1

Reply #7   Aug 13, 2010 3:17 pm
Actionvac wrote:
Ha funny! I was in a hospital recently and they were pushing a rattly Panasonic with no dust cover on it LOL I told the gal it would not work like that and she gave me a shrug

Thanks for the Laugh! I could actually visualize that exchange by a concerned/knowledgeable bystander and a min wage worker who couldn't give a ..... That was priceless!
Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42