Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Filter Queen D 88 & Electrolux Prolux

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Moebius

Filter Queen D 88 & Electrolux Prolux
Original Message   Jul 17, 2010 2:32 pm
My 4 yr old Hoover WIndtunnel Supreme gave up the ghost two weeks ago with a whisp of smoke out of the side side vent. Nothing jammed in the roller or got sucked into it, the motor just burned out according the certified Hoover repairshop. Great suction on that vac, but it was made out of cheap plastic and obviously the internals were just as cheap.

Anyway, I am now back to finding a quality vacuum that will last a long, long, time. An ad came up in a nearby Craiglist for an Electrolox Prolux unit for $50. I made the 40 minute drive to pick it up and I am impressed by the heavy duty, utilitarian, Swedish design. Definitely not a flashy device intended to impress your friends. It is the 8.5 amp version and does a seemingly equal job of cleaning even though it feels like it has half the suction of the 12A Hoover. I can't seem to find any information on this particular model anywhere on the internet so far, although Electrolux's designs don't seem to have changed much over the last few decades.

Does anyone have any idea how old this thing is and if it needs any type of annual service? Is it any good? Is the 10A version far better?

Two quasi-local ads (30 min & ~1 hour drive) came up for a $70 Filter Queen D 88 (w/ all accessories and extra filters)in seemingly excellent condition.
Anybody know how old this model is and is the power head the newer type that is supposedly better than the older versions?

The other ad is for a 10 yr old FQ, but they do not know the model version. They want $50 and I am headed to check it out right now. They say the power head "works great". I'll post a follow up pick after I get back. I think I'll get this one if it is in good condition and also consider the D 88.

Any info greatly appreciated.
This message was modified Jul 17, 2010 by Moebius
Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Outline
procare

Re: Filter Queen D 88 & Electrolux Prolux
Reply #1   Jul 17, 2010 3:53 pm
Moebius,

The Prolux is a fine durable unit. It is not Swedish design but made in U.S. The body style came out in 1984. Prolux is the Electrolux commercial line. It came out from 1997-2005 if memory is right. But I will check it out. I have the manual available for it in my papers.The only thing I would do is check the brushroll. After the machines are used for awhile they will wearout. A new brushroll assembly will do wonders to cleaning.

Procare

Venson

Reply #2   Jul 17, 2010 5:20 pm
As for the Filter Queen -- check it out carefully.  There should be no signs of rust or moisture exposure inside the dust container.  Also check beyond the perforated metal form that keeps the filter cones in place.  (The twist of a dime should easily undo the screw that holds the metal form in place.)  There should be no signs of dust and the pre-motor filter should be clean as well.

As for the power nozzle, I've owned Filter Queen and this particular power nozzle is not my idea of a prize winner.  If you're seriously considering everyday use of this vacuum you may want to swap out another PN.

That said, in general I like Filter Queen.  Past machines have proved to be quite sturdy and durable with reasonable care.  Points off for emptying and use on stairs but for general duty its a real trooper and has very good dust capacity.

Venson

This message was modified Jul 17, 2010 by Venson
Moebius

Reply #3   Jul 17, 2010 6:25 pm
Thanks for the advice, Procare & Venson. A new roller brush on the Electrolux might actually go a long way to improving performance. I checked the bristles and they still show some clearance(~1/8") beyond the bottom of the head unit, they may not have the same rigidity to properly agitate the carpet. I wish I had another vac around to see if it is leaving any dirt behind, but no such luck.  That will have to wait until I get the D 88.

Procare, if you have a copy of the manual, I'd love to hear some specs or what it has to say. I've tried removing the roller brush by taking out the 4 screws on the bottom, but the bottom plate doesn't want to come off(easily). I'm not exactly sure how to wedge it off without damaging anything. Any insight onto that would be greatly appreciated so I can find out which brush roller to get.

Also, I checked out the "10 yr old" Filter Queen and that description was generous, to say the least. My guess would be closer to 20 yrs(or more) judging from the style and wear & tear. I decided against getting it because the accessories were pretty thrashed. Even if the cannister had stayed the exact same over decades, the cost of eventually replacing all the other stuff made it a no-go. The picture below, that I found on the internet, seems to be the exact same model and period of time.

This message was modified Jul 17, 2010 by Moebius
CarmineD

Reply #4   Jul 17, 2010 8:28 pm
Here is a web site for a vacuum parts supplier with an extensive array of schematics for all FQ models, P/N's, and FQ parts listings.  I'm not affiliated with the company and/or its people and business operations.  I don't make any testimonials for them.  Just providing the site here to you as a reference and source of FQ information.

http://www.hescoinc.com/vacuum_cleaner_parts/filterqueen.html

Carmine D.

Moebius

Reply #5   Jul 18, 2010 3:38 am
CarmineD, that's a great website! Thank you for the tip.

Well, I vacuumed my apt a second time with the Electrolux and I have to admit, it does a damn good job. It had a brand new bag yesterday and with this second pass, the bag is half to 3/4 full. It's been 2 weeks since a last vacuuming, and I did get under the coach and bed...Still, this thing is impressive. Who knows how much better it'll get with a new roller brush?

Btw, when I went to check out the Filter Queen today, I have to admit I was startled by the size of it. I kept reading in reviews and posts here about how some people were having a tough time emptying it and how heavy it was, so I was expecting something the size of a shop vac. I am impressed that something that small can do what it does. I think I'll still keep my out for a good deal on a newer FQ. The longer hose and greater suction would really come in handy for cleaning my car.
Hertz

Reply #6   Jul 18, 2010 4:36 am
Did you end up picking up one of the two Filter Queens? I have a D31X, which is what you seem to have pictured in the second picture you posted, and they are AWESOME machines; VERY quiet, VERY powerful ( I would say near Miele/Dyson suction, and with the right filters VERY good filtration, if not excellent). FQ's are def. some of the best canisters out there. Bar non.
CarmineD

Reply #7   Jul 18, 2010 7:18 am
Moebius wrote:
CarmineD, that's a great website! Thank you for the tip.

Well, I vacuumed my apt a second time with the Electrolux and I have to admit, it does a damn good job. It had a brand new bag yesterday and with this second pass, the bag is half to 3/4 full. It's been 2 weeks since a last vacuuming, and I did get under the coach and bed...Still, this thing is impressive. Who knows how much better it'll get with a new roller brush?

Btw, when I went to check out the Filter Queen today, I have to admit I was startled by the size of it. I kept reading in reviews and posts here about how some people were having a tough time emptying it and how heavy it was, so I was expecting something the size of a shop vac. I am impressed that something that small can do what it does. I think I'll still keep my out for a good deal on a newer FQ. The longer hose and greater suction would really come in handy for cleaning my car.

My pleasure.

Carmine D.

Moebius

Reply #8   Jul 18, 2010 4:47 pm
Hertz wrote:
Did you end up picking up one of the two Filter Queens?

Not yet. The D31 looking unit was $50, but the accessories were in somewhat bad shape. The hose would have needed replacing and some of the ends were beat thrashed. So, the vac itself was a steal, but by the time I replaced everything else...

The D 88 is a solid hour away without traffic, and up to 2 hrs with. So, it is only possible to get there on weekends. After being misled about the condition of the last one, I'm really not up for that long of drive to find another beater. So, I am waiting on more high quality photos of it.

Out of obsession and a bit of excitement, I've vacuumed every inch of my apartment with the Electorlux twice now and have to say I am really impressed! I can't wait to see how it does with a new brush roller. I've never used a sealed vac before - there's none of that "vacuuming" smell in the air while running it. Even the Hoover, when new, did that. With the Electrolux, no smell at all.
Moebius

Reply #9   Jul 20, 2010 3:05 am
Well, there just happens to be a true Electrolux shop just 15 minutes from my house. Found out my Prolux is approx. 15-20 tears old, the shop guy was really impressed with the condition it was in.  He gave a a complete look over and guessed that the roller was probably 10-15 years old and needed replacing. After seeing a new roller and brush bristles, i couldn't argue. He also said that the roller bearings needed replacing as they were the same age and might as well do the gear/roller belt while in there.

Anyway, we started talking about a full service with replacing the brush roller & bearings($50), drive belt($13),   fix/seal the top that locks the bag into place, replace the hose between body and power nozzle($20), but mostly to re-core or replace the the brushes in both motors and make improvements to substantially improve rpms of the brush motor and the vacuum motor.  $260! But, he said it would be good for another 10-15 yrs at least and came w/ a new 2 yr warranty.

I think he saw the sticker shock in my eyes and said, "or you can do a few things yourself". So I got the roller, bearings, and belt. He also showed me how to seal the areas that were likely loosing vacuum. So, I'm just waiting for the silicone to dry before giving it another test drive. I think this thing's a "keeper" after seeing that the current Pro Commercial model is exactly the same with just a few cosmetic changes of moving the on/off button, adding a looped handle, and a full bag/jam sensor light. Other than that, he said the new model has probably 30-40% more suction simply because electric motors have become far more efficient and powerful in the ensuing years. but, he said overall performance between the two would be very, very, close. Not bad considering the new model sells for $1,100-1,200.
CarmineD

Reply #10   Jul 20, 2010 6:54 am
Moebius wrote:
Well, there just happens to be a true Electrolux shop just 15 minutes from my house. Found out my Prolux is approx. 15-20 tears old, the shop guy was really impressed with the condition it was in.  He gave a a complete look over and guessed that the roller was probably 10-15 years old and needed replacing. After seeing a new roller and brush bristles, i couldn't argue. He also said that the roller bearings needed replacing as they were the same age and might as well do the gear/roller belt while in there.

Anyway, we started talking about a full service with replacing the brush roller & bearings($50), drive belt($13),   fix/seal the top that locks the bag into place, replace the hose between body and power nozzle($20), but mostly to re-core or replace the the brushes in both motors and make improvements to substantially improve rpms of the brush motor and the vacuum motor.  $260! But, he said it would be good for another 10-15 yrs at least and came w/ a new 2 yr warranty.

I think he saw the sticker shock in my eyes and said, "or you can do a few things yourself". So I got the roller, bearings, and belt. He also showed me how to seal the areas that were likely loosing vacuum. So, I'm just waiting for the silicone to dry before giving it another test drive. I think this thing's a "keeper" after seeing that the current Pro Commercial model is exactly the same with just a few cosmetic changes of moving the on/off button, adding a looped handle, and a full bag/jam sensor light. Other than that, he said the new model has probably 30-40% more suction simply because electric motors have become far more efficient and powerful in the ensuing years. but, he said overall performance between the two would be very, very, close. Not bad considering the new model sells for $1,100-1,200.

In fact I'd say a good purchase decision.  Congrats.

Carmine D.

Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42