Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Why Dyson is different.

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Hertz

Why Dyson is different.
Original Message   Jul 10, 2010 4:06 am
A really cool insight to the workings behind the company and how they develop what I believe to be some the most well designed vacuums with overall good-great build quality in history.
Replies: 8 - 17 of 124Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Why Dyson is different.
Reply #8   Jul 12, 2010 7:32 am
Hypothetical case:  Very asthmatic daughter grows into a very asthmatic woman.  Decides to live on her own and needs a vacuum.  She liked Mum's DC25 ball but Mum can't dump it anymore.  She lives alone now and on her own.  Should she buy a dyson bagless?  Anyone can answer with their reasons for/against.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #9   Jul 12, 2010 8:30 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hypothetical case:  Very asthmatic daughter grows into a very asthmatic woman.  Decides to live on her own and needs a vacuum.  She liked Mum's DC25 ball but Mum can't dump it anymore.  She lives alone now and on her own.  Should she buy a dyson bagless?  Anyone can answer with their reasons for/against.

Carmine D.

How do all these asthmatic people clean the lint filter on their clothes dryer?
Venson

Reply #10   Jul 12, 2010 8:39 am
CarmineD wrote:

Carmine D.

For or against is hard. After all it's Ameriica.  We're supposedly allowed choice as to the altars we kneel before and the vacuuum cleaners we use.    It's all boils down to the matter of perceived worth. 

One mother has an asthmatic child and does a little reading that suggestts that a decent bagged vacuum is more the ticket.  Minimal dust exposure and easy disposal.  Another, buys a bagless vac due to hype and possibly because of hopes to save money on bags. Yet, she does not see a loss in having to use a "bag" albeit plastic to dump the thing into if she empties the machine inside or having to run out to the garbage can to do it. (Not fun on rainy or cold days.)  I also assume the brand in question always dumps out cleanly without need for handpicking dog fur and fluff off the shroud and other internal parts.

As for the kid.  How many of them do the larger part of what you tell them to anyway?  When the little girl in mention here grows up AND she has to empty a vacuum cleaner herself, if she still has a high sensitivity to dust she'll probably follow the least path of resistance and get the best bagged vac she can afford.  Right now she's a lucky so and so.  "But Ma you know I can't clean my room."

Venson

vacmanuk

Reply #11   Jul 12, 2010 9:11 am
Here we go again Hertz, you're believing what the manufacturers are telling you or in this case through some person's video of the use of their Dyson.

ANY bagless system is unhealthy whether it has a down drop system for taking the dirt out, or top empty system. Bags are better in this respect and you have agreed on that point before. So what if she empties the machine outside? Does she take out the filters too when they get clogged? You want me to be pedantic I can go on. Does she take the Dyson outside each time it clogs or if something needs to be opened up?

Where is the convenience aspect of having to dispose of dirt outside your home?
This message was modified Jul 12, 2010 by vacmanuk
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #12   Jul 12, 2010 4:11 pm
speaking of Dyson, the prices have been tumbling lately.  Costco.com has the dc14 with mini turbo brush for $299.99. 

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11504379&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|103|4716&N=4000044&Mo=34&No=2&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=4716&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
CarmineD

Reply #13   Jul 13, 2010 6:46 am
Severus wrote:
speaking of Dyson, the prices have been tumbling lately.  Costco.com has the dc14 with mini turbo brush for $299.99. 

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11504379&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|103|4716&N=4000044&Mo=34&No=2&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=4716&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

Brand new and with a 5 year warranty.  Yet, interesting SEVERUS, dyson's official web site in the USA sells remanufactured DC14 models with only 6 month warranty for $299.  Why would dyson permit its authorized retailers like COSTCO [and others] to undercut prices?  Doesn't jibe with dyson's policy/MAP of enforcing artificially supported retail prices that we use to know so well just a few years ago.  Things change.

Carmine D. 

DC14 Remanufactured

$299.99

DC14 Remanufactured. Telescope reach. Wand instantly releases and expands for easy stair cleaning. For all floors. This model comes in Iron/Titanium/Satin dark bronze

Hertz

Reply #14   Jul 13, 2010 6:00 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Here we go again Hertz, you're believing what the manufacturers are telling you or in this case through some person's video of the use of their Dyson.

ANY bagless system is unhealthy whether it has a down drop system for taking the dirt out, or top empty system. Bags are better in this respect and you have agreed on that point before. So what if she empties the machine outside? Does she take out the filters too when they get clogged? You want me to be pedantic I can go on. Does she take the Dyson outside each time it clogs or if something needs to be opened up?

Where is the convenience aspect of having to dispose of dirt outside your home?

Like I said, if you do it CAREFULLY in home, it's not an issue at all comparative to how much your actually DUMPING IN THE BIN! This is a video testament from a USER! Have you seen Miele's tests?! A Dyson filters better than a SEBO upright or a Riccar, and I can EASILY believe it with Dysons high quality seals and BEEFY filters. BAM!: http://www.mieleusa.com/products/benefits/filtration.asp?nav=30&snav=24&tnav=26&oT=272&benefit=119 Carmen, the clutches aren't what break on a Dyson - there has probably never been more than 5% of the clutches breaking in America - it's the BELTS that wear out and ARE replaceable w/o replacing the clutch; I just talked to a Miele Diamond & Dyson dealer that I bought my used Solaris from, and he said in ALL his years (about 12 at least) he has NEVER seen a broken clutch, but the BELTS wear out. The clutch is a great idea, but when people use a vacuum on thick shag area rugs the belts burn up faster, thus the belts just needed to be beefier is all.
CarmineD

Reply #15   Jul 13, 2010 8:09 pm
Hertz wrote:
Like I said, if you do it CAREFULLY in home, it's not an issue at all comparative to how much your actually DUMPING IN THE BIN! This is a video testament from a USER! Have you seen Miele's tests?! A Dyson filters better than a SEBO upright or a Riccar, and I can EASILY believe it with Dysons high quality seals and BEEFY filters. BAM!: http://www.mieleusa.com/products/benefits/filtration.asp?nav=30&snav=24&tnav=26&oT=272&benefit=119 Carmen, the clutches aren't what break on a Dyson - there has probably never been more than 5% of the clutches breaking in America - it's the BELTS that wear out and ARE replaceable w/o replacing the clutch; I just talked to a Miele Diamond & Dyson dealer that I bought my used Solaris from, and he said in ALL his years (about 12 at least) he has NEVER seen a broken clutch, but the BELTS wear out. The clutch is a great idea, but when people use a vacuum on thick shag area rugs the belts burn up faster, thus the belts just needed to be beefier is all.

Didn't dyson claim the belts were lifetime?

Carmine D.

With replacement costs for bags, belts and filters, other vacuums can keep costing over time.

*Total maintenance cost cover a five period is based on recommended filter and belt replacement information provided by each manufacturer.

Bissell

Cleanview™ Helix
$212

Dyson

all uprights
$0

Hoover

Anniversary Windtunnel
$267
This message was modified Jul 13, 2010 by CarmineD
vacmanuk

Reply #16   Jul 13, 2010 9:17 pm
Hertz wrote:

You know Hertz, people like you turn me off forums like this. Its time to act your age. Your viewpoint suddenly becomes ** law ** and you dont seem to take on what others are saying. I suggest that you start growing up and stop trying to start fights. You are NOT discussing the original post you put on here, but rather trying to get your viewpoint across whilst other members don't get a viable chance to offer a viewpoint.

I suggest that you get yourself a particle meter and test it in conditions. Put in on You Tube when you put the particle meter near the rubber seals of the Dyson bin. Then you'll see if you think that the Dyson filters better than ANY bagged vacuum cleaner that has better filtration. Never mind relying on others videos when there's not a grain of truth scientifically to prove their point.
procare

Reply #17   Jul 13, 2010 10:53 pm
Hertz,

Back in 1976-1984 Electrolux(Aerus) had clutches on their uprights and I have not replaced one belt while they had them to this day. They had abetter clutch system as well as a better belt system.

Procare

Replies: 8 - 17 of 124Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42