Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Dyson DC33 Upright

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Trilobite

Dyson DC33 Upright
Original Message   Jul 3, 2010 8:50 pm
Replies: 10 - 19 of 29Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Dyson DC33 Upright
Reply #10   Jul 6, 2010 6:57 pm
Hertz wrote:
The clutch is a great future when it works, and for European carpets, it works great supposedly, which is WHY they keep using it. Dyson is a company that wouldn't use an inferior design that breaks easily - costing them money too. American carpets were just too thick for the assembly and thus they now use a two-motor system - one for brush one for the suction.

I agree.  Trouble is that it's totally ineffective on some US carpets, usually the more expensive higher pile carpets, due to the floating nozzle head which bogs the brushbar down in the carpet.  Result: The brushbar stops and the gawdawful ratcheting noise is enough to scare/upset all the pets and humans in the house not to mention its inability to vacuum the carpet.  The clutch repair is costly at $90 to $135 depending on the parts replaced.  Belt replacements are not a do-it-yourself item as most belt replacements are for other brands.  Belt replacements are equally costly and time consuming compared to the rest of the industry brands and models.  The clutch appeared on dyson's DC07 here in the USA which has been discontinued.  For quite a few years now, in fact.  It still appears on dyson's DC14 which is also on the path to discontinuation being sold on clearance/discount by all US retailers who still have in stock and on hand.  The DC15, now extinct too never used the clutch.  Neither do the DC17, 18, 24, 25 and 28.  Not sure about the 27 and 33.  Dyson had the sense to abandon clutch usage in most all subsequent upright models.  A testament to its shortcomings in the USA.  Scrubbing it was a good move but it took him a long time to realize what most others knew long before he did.  It was a poor design feature for some American rugs and users, usually the more expensive and higher pile carpets used in up scale homes. 

Carmine D.

Hertz

Reply #11   Jul 7, 2010 8:15 am
CarmineD wrote:
I agree.  Trouble is that it's totally ineffective on some US carpets, usually the more expensive higher pile carpets, due to the floating nozzle head which bogs the brushbar down in the carpet.  Result: The brushbar stops and the gawdawful ratcheting noise is enough to scare/upset all the pets and humans in the house not to mention its inability to vacuum the carpet.  The clutch repair is costly at $90 to $135 depending on the parts replaced.  Belt replacements are not a do-it-yourself item as most belt replacements are for other brands.  Belt replacements are equally costly and time consuming compared to the rest of the industry brands and models.  The clutch appeared on dyson's DC07 here in the USA which has been discontinued.  For quite a few years now, in fact.  It still appears on dyson's DC14 which is also on the path to discontinuation being sold on clearance/discount by all US retailers who still have in stock and on hand.  The DC15, now extinct too never used the clutch.  Neither do the DC17, 18, 24, 25 and 28.  Not sure about the 27 and 33.  Dyson had the sense to abandon clutch usage in most all subsequent upright models.  A testament to its shortcomings in the USA.  Scrubbing it was a good move but it took him a long time to realize what most others knew long before he did.  It was a poor design feature for some American rugs and users, usually the more expensive and higher pile carpets used in up scale homes. 

Carmine D.

Right, obviously more R&D on American rugs would have been substantially beneficial, but he finally did make a high-quality dual motor system which, IMHO, makes his uprights some awesome machines! They're well made; durable plastics (better than any you'll find at Best Bu/Target, etc. besides some Electrolux's), Good motors (usually Panasonics I believe), high quality filtration (rated better than a Riccar and surprisingly a Sebo, which is hard to believe, however, like with any high and low end brand, there will be some models that have a few design flaws http://www.mieleusa.com/products/benefits/filtration.asp?nav=30&snav=24&tnav=26&oT=272&benefit=119). Either way, I say Dyson now makes a respectably high quality machine that is worthy of parting money with.
CarmineD

Reply #12   Jul 7, 2010 8:42 am
Hertz wrote:
Right, obviously more R&D on American rugs would have been substantially beneficial, but he finally did make a high-quality dual motor system which, IMHO, makes his uprights some awesome machines! They're well made; durable plastics (better than any you'll find at Best Bu/Target, etc. besides some Electrolux's), Good motors (usually Panasonics I believe), high quality filtration (rated better than a Riccar and surprisingly a Sebo, which is hard to believe, however, like with any high and low end brand, there will be some models that have a few design flaws http://www.mieleusa.com/products/benefits/filtration.asp?nav=30&snav=24&tnav=26&oT=272&benefit=119). Either way, I say Dyson now makes a respectably high quality machine that is worthy of parting money with.

Your opinion and you are entitled to it right or wrong. 

Carmine D.

Hertz

Reply #13   Jul 8, 2010 10:31 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Your opinion and you are entitled to it right or wrong. 

Carmine D.

Well they obviously are quality air purifiers, at least compared to a Riccar or Simplicity, and they clean the carpet damn well, AND, if maintained, least at least a good five + years (I've read longer, though, too). That's what I would classify as a quality machine.
CarmineD

Reply #14   Jul 9, 2010 1:57 am
Hertz wrote:
Well they obviously are quality air purifiers, at least compared to a Riccar or Simplicity, and they clean the carpet damn well, AND, if maintained, least at least a good five + years (I've read longer, though, too). That's what I would classify as a quality machine.

The issue is the price and whether worth the money.  I sprang $250 for a DC07 pink which was the max I'd spend.  I was not impressive even for that price.  The clutch and floating head were problematic on my carpets.  The only vacuum to date that has failed to do the job and the most expensive of all I used/purchased.

Carmine D. 

vacmanuk

Reply #15   Jul 9, 2010 3:04 am
Hertz wrote:

I think what it boils down to is realistic timeline usage and real time experience. Having experienced the older Dysons with brittle nasty beater bars that ruin carpet rather than actually lift the dirt out, I can't testify and say this new Dyson will be the same. Be careful when you quote "quality air purifiers," however - it isn't entirely fair that you're putting a BAGLESS against a BAGGED company and suggesting that a vacuum cleaner air filter is no less a substitute for a quality air purifier.
Venson

Reply #16   Jul 9, 2010 7:12 am
Sorry, my error.

Venson

This message was modified Jul 9, 2010 by Venson
CarmineD

Reply #17   Sep 5, 2010 2:19 pm
Dyson's DC33 upright has just been launched in the USA this Labor Day weekend.  It's MSRP is $399 BUT at least one major retailer is already discounting it by 15 percent which means the price is $341 before applicable taxes.  Dyson's latest and greatest is the least expensive in its product lineup not counting handhelds. 

Things are a changing.

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #18   Sep 5, 2010 6:31 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Dyson's DC33 upright has just been launched in the USA this Labor Day weekend.  It's MSRP is $399 BUT at least one major retailer is already discounting it by 15 percent which means the price is $341 before applicable taxes.  Dyson's latest and greatest is the least expensive in its product lineup not counting handhelds. 

Things are a changing.

Carmine D.

Thanks Carmine,

I checked out the U.S. website and thar she was right thar.  That's supposed to mean 341 bucks and no more money spent.  OR do they mean the five-year warranty covers everything?  The company claims:

"*Total maintenance cost cover a five period is based on recommended filter and belt replacement information provided by each manufacturer."

Bissell Cleanview Helix (82H1) -- $212 (maintenance cost)

Hoover Anniversary Windtunnel (U6485900) -- $267 (maintenance cost)

(Please note that "a five period" is not a typo on my part. Text is exactly as input on the website.  See what happens? You charge a little less for your vacuum and you have to give up a proofreader.)

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #19   Sep 6, 2010 7:30 am
Venson wrote:
Thanks Carmine,

I checked out the U.S. website and thar she was right thar.  That's supposed to mean 341 bucks and no more money spent.  OR do they mean the five-year warranty covers everything?  The company claims:

"*Total maintenance cost cover a five period is based on recommended filter and belt replacement information provided by each manufacturer."

Bissell Cleanview Helix (82H1) -- $212 (maintenance cost)

Hoover Anniversary Windtunnel (U6485900) -- $267 (maintenance cost)

(Please note that "a five period" is not a typo on my part. Text is exactly as input on the website.  See what happens? You charge a little less for your vacuum and you have to give up a proofreader.)

Venson

Hi Venson:

Good eye on the error.  Freudian slip, perhaps by the dyson people? 

That may be the implication by dyson and/or inferrence it hopes to elicit by readers.  But we know from experience that in 5 years, if that is the time frame, dyson wear and tear parts will fail/need replacement in dysons and are not covered by the limited warranty.  Recently, efforts in trying to locate a brush roll for a dyson upright, any dyson upright, on the dyson site, proved impossible.  Procare posted a case here along with that thread where a DC25 under warranty needed a brushroll and it end up costing $75 [have to buy brush with nozzle]. 

Include time to constantly dump the dyson dirt bins and clean the filters, if time is indeed money, and I suspect the money amounts for replacement bags and filters are paled in comparison by dyson.

Carmine D.

Replies: 10 - 19 of 29Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42