Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > using Steam Vac on hard floors

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
hooverman

using Steam Vac on hard floors
Original Message   Jun 9, 2010 10:26 pm
I have a Hoover Steam Vac SpinScrub F5881-900 & impressed when I use it on carpets.  Then I tried it on tile & it did FAR better than the FloorMATE.  The only downside is that it uses more water & hard to get around tight spaces than the FM.  However, the Steam Vac's water in recovery tank came dirtier than the recovered water on the FloorMate.  Are there any SpinScrub brushes or squeegees available for the Steam Vac classic?  The bare floor "sponge" tool didn't make the tiles drier than not using that sponge tool; & the green SpinScrub brushes do a fine job scrubbing the grout (Steam Vac's brushes have longer [but softer] bristles than FloorMATE's brushes)  What do U think about using a Steam Vac on hard floors?
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
hooverman

Re: using Steam Vac on hard floors
Reply #1   Jun 10, 2010 11:11 pm
hooverman wrote:
Are there any SpinScrub brushes or squeegees available for the Steam Vac classic?  The bare floor "sponge" tool didn't make the tiles drier than not using that sponge tool; & the green SpinScrub brushes do a fine job scrubbing the grout (Steam Vac's brushes have longer [but softer] bristles than FloorMATE's brushes)

what I mean is SpinScrub brushes for hard floors (the white ones like the Dual V All Terrain) to use on SV classic
CarmineD

Reply #2   Jun 11, 2010 7:07 am
hooverman wrote:
Not sure about how long the pads will last before changing them; will have to see later on.

Ball park estimate is fine.  One usage, two, multiple.  Trying to determine if your trick is more economical than purchasing the attachments that come with the FM.

Carmine D.

Just wondering if you have something more on this.  It's been awhile and haven't heard.

Carmine D.

Trebor

Reply #3   Jun 11, 2010 10:08 am
The SteamVac performs better for the same reason as a dual brush floor scrubber-WEIGHT. The floor mate is designed to maintain clean floors, nor rejuvenate filthy ones. The head of the F/M is designed to reach under tables and toe kicks, something the S/V and floor scrubbers are not. Changing out the scrub brushes will not make any appreciable difference. It is what it is.

Trebor
This message was modified Jun 11, 2010 by Trebor
hooverman

Reply #4   Jun 11, 2010 6:15 pm
The SV's brushes are turbine driven & the FM's brushes are powered by a "Mickey Mouse" motor that does a less efficient job than the SV; circuit breaker on FM too sensitive when washing floors (FloorMating)  Its hard to stop the SV's SpinScrub brushes (unless screen is dirty); so the Steam Vac wins at washing floors/carpets.  FloorMates can only do hard floors & can't do rugs/carpets; the FM's brush motor is useless.

I use the SV as a weekly floor washer; but I alternate the Steam Vac one week & the FloorMATE the next.  Once a month I use the good ol' Floor-A-Matic (I wish Hoover still made them instead of the FloorMate) but the FAM is out of service due to a leak at the base.

Will opening a Floor-A-Matic's motor do any harm to it?  I had to clean out a FAM because the nozzle was clogged with dirt.  Folks SHOULD NOT USE A FLOOR-A-MATIC for dry pick-up or water pick-up from carpet!  Only use it to pick up water from HARD FLOORS

Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42