Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > LG Electronics Kompressor Plus 300B

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
CarmineD

LG Electronics Kompressor Plus 300B
Original Message   May 27, 2010 7:13 pm

LG Electronics Kompressor® Plus  $399 at HOME DEPOT

Description

Pick Up More, Empty Less. LG is introducing its first ever line of vacuums in the U.S. Market. LG patented Kompressor® technology utilizes the world's first motorized compression system and a larger bin to compress the dust intake to hold more household dust than non-compressor models.

This has been talked about here and appears to have finally made it to the USA market.

Carmine D.

This message was modified May 28, 2010 by CarmineD
Replies: 1 - 79 of 79View as Outline
retardturtle1

Re: LG Electronics Kompressor Plus 330B
Reply #1   May 27, 2010 9:02 pm
Hi carmine

And the specs on this one are,,,,,, im not sure but i do believe i passed this one at sears..didnt stop to look but noticed it,,,so whats the scoop on this one?

CarmineD

Re: LG Electronics Kompressor Plus 300B
Reply #2   May 28, 2010 7:12 am
retardturtle1 wrote:
Hi carmine

And the specs on this one are,,,,,, im not sure but i do believe i passed this one at sears..didnt stop to look but noticed it,,,so whats the scoop on this one?

The rap against all bagless is the loose dirt and daily dumping.  Supposedly LG has the solution with its "compression" technology which compacts the dirt and allows more pick up and less bin dumping.  I note the price is already lower at HOME DEPOT from $399 to $359, a 10 percent discount.  I suspect price will come down more too in the current bad economy.  I plan a trip to HD to scope the LG out and if so will post my impressions.  The theory sounds interesting.  But, too often with consumer goods like vacuums the real world usage doesn't match up with the words.

Carmine D.

Technical Specs

• Cord Length: 9m
  • Self Retracting Cord
  • Aluminium Telescopic Wand
  • Stretch Hose
  • BAF Certification
  • Dust Full Indicator
  • Max Power: 2000W
  • Dust Compression System
  • Double Chamber Turbo Cyclone
  • Colour: Blue White Body
  • Power Control: Handle Slide
  • Variable Speed Control
  • HEPA Filter (Carbon H13)
  • Cleaning Reach (Up to 24m)
  • Dust Container: Dust Compression with Rotor Blade
  • Dust Capacity: 2.2L (when compressed up to 9 L)
  • Dust Level Indicator
  • On Board Tool Storage
  • Nozzles (Included): Carpet & Floor Nozzle (NZ66)
  • Dimensions (WxDxH): 290 x 492 x 338mm
  • Weight: 6.5kg
  • Warranty: 2 Years

Also:

Specifications

• Assembled Depth (In Inches) 15.15 In.
  • Assembled Height (In Inches) 36.8
  • Assembled Weight (In LBS) 27.5 Lbs.
  • Assembled Width (In Inches) 12.5
  • Country of Origin South Korea
  • CSA Certified Yes
  • Item Depth 43.3 In. 
  • Item Height 16.3 In. 
  • Item Weight 22 Lbs.
  • Item Width 14.6 In. 

Warranty

5 Year Parts and Labour. For more details please

There appears to be a contradiction on the warranty: 2 years and 5 years.  Also SEARS on-line does not list the LG kompressor 300 yet. 

This message was modified May 28, 2010 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #3   May 28, 2010 12:16 pm
CarmineD wrote:
The rap against all bagless is the loose dirt and daily dumping.  Supposedly LG has the solution with its "compression" technology which compacts the dirt and allows more pick up and less bin dumping.  I note the price is already lower at HOME DEPOT from $399 to $359, a 10 percent discount.  I suspect price will come down more too in the current bad economy.  I plan a trip to HD to scope the LG out and if so will post my impressions.  The theory sounds interesting.  But, too often with consumer goods like vacuums the real world usage doesn't match up with the words.

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,

I'm wondering if they've gotten their act together at LG with this new model.  The first Kompressors, canisters caught flack from Which magazine I believe.  Following is a link to a 2007 article from Gizmodo.com.  Two links to YouTube videos also follow.

http://gizmodo.com/253971/lg-compressor-vacuum-really-really-really-sucks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lH15LCtzbY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAEPUvoSFp8&NR=1

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #4   May 28, 2010 6:29 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi Carmine,

I'm wondering if they've gotten their act together at LG with this new model.  The first Kompressors, canisters caught flack from Which magazine I believe.  Following is a link to a 2007 article from Gizmodo.com.  Two links to YouTube videos also follow.

http://gizmodo.com/253971/lg-compressor-vacuum-really-really-really-sucks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lH15LCtzbY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAEPUvoSFp8&NR=1

Venson

Hi Venson:

Thanks for links and videos.  I hjave several reservations about compressing dirt and allowing to remain in the bin for long periods.  1.  Odors.  2.  Added weight of the motor needed to activate the bin lever to compress the dirt. 3.  Added burden on motor to filter air through the compressed dirt packs.  4.  The effect of number 3 on motor heat/degradation over time.  5.  The effect of 3. and 4. on suction power, notwithstanding the 2000 watt motor.

Having said this I opine that the compression feature MIGHT serve well in a commercial cleaning environment and usage, if the above technical difficulties could be minimized.

Carmine D.

retardturtle1

Reply #5   May 28, 2010 7:30 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hi Venson:

Thanks for links and videos.  I hjave several reservations about compressing dirt and allowing to remain in the bin for long periods.  1.  Odors.  2.  Added weight of the motor needed to activate the bin lever to compress the dirt. 3.  Added burden on motor to filter air through the compressed dirt packs.  4.  The effect of number 3 on motor heat/degradation over time.  5.  The effect of 3. and 4. on suction power, notwithstanding the 2000 watt motor.

Having said this I opine that the compression feature MIGHT serve well in a commercial cleaning environment and usage, if the above technical difficulties could be minimized.

Carmine D.

2000 watts of power is quite impressive to say the least.....one would think . but i am curious as to the lift and cfm that this unit can produce with its wattage/power....
odors are and will always be a problem in the cyclones of the bagless vacs......i would think that with proper airflow/ventilation that the 2000 watts would be cooled dwn....

turtle

procare

Reply #6   May 28, 2010 11:09 pm
Looking at the wattage is telling me that something is amiss. In the U.S. the maximum amperage a cleaner can have with the exception of central vacuums that have their own seperate outlet  for electricity is 12 amps. The max 2000 wattage is equal to 16.6 amps. The regular outlet is 15 amps.
Venson

Reply #7   May 29, 2010 1:59 am
I think the 2000 watts has to do with LG's European Kompressor 220-volt mocels.

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #8   May 29, 2010 6:52 am
Venson wrote:
I think the 2000 watts has to do with LG's European Kompressor 220-volt mocels.

Venson

Venson, Procare:

I think you're right.

Carmine D.

Product specification :

General

Vacuum TypeUpright

Warranty

Warranty Information5 Year Limited Warranty

More Info

URLLG Electronics LuV300B Kompressor Blue Upright Vacuum

Detailed Info

Amperage (amps)12 A
Cleaning Path14.5 in
Power Cord Length40 ft
Weight22 lbs

Features

HEPA FilterYes
Attachment FeaturesBrush|Crevice Tool|Upholstery Nozzle

Here is a link from the above URL that features a slide show of the LG Kompressor models.  BTW note the 3 suction adjustments on the handle grip with finger tip controls. 

http://www.lg.com/us/vacuum/index.jsp#/300

Carmine D.

This message was modified May 29, 2010 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Re: LG Electronics Kompressor Plus 330B
Reply #9   May 30, 2010 3:03 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:
Hi carmine

B-I-N-G-O.  You were right turtle.  In the SEARS MEMORIAL DAY NEWS PAPER supplements.  $399.  Home Depot is offering for the same price PLUS a 10 percent MEMORIAL DAY SALE discount.  $359

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #10   May 31, 2010 8:10 am
Turtle:

SEARS has the LG Kompressor 300B on line now for a discount of $120 at $329.  Beats the Home Depot sale price for Memorial Day.

Carmine D.

This message was modified May 31, 2010 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #11   Jun 2, 2010 1:05 pm
Point of mention, CR has already rated the LG LuV200 and LuV300 and given both high performance scores.  However, from what I scanned, there appears to be no mention as to the worthiness of the dirt compression feature.

Venson

This message was modified Jun 2, 2010 by Venson
Venson

Reply #12   Jun 24, 2010 10:26 am
Had a chance to briefly eye-ball both the LG LuV200 and LuV300 uprights the other day.  LuV200 was nicely quiet in operation even surprising the salesman I made mention of in another post.

Both machines looked a little on the bulky side but actually felt a little lighter than expected.  The two machines are basically similar but not the same.  The lesser priced LuV200 provides a cord reel and the more expensive LuV300 has a cord wrap set-up.  The LuV300 employs its cleaning wand as part of its actual handle and the cleaner's multiple speeds can be accessed through tne handle grip whether attached and employed for standard upright use or detached for above the floor mode.  Remote operation and adjustment from the hose end is not uncommon in canister vacs but a first I think for upright vacuums.  Please note that points off are due here in that the LuV399's remote control is not powered by the cleaners main power source your wall outlet but by two AAA batteries instead.

LuV300 manual in PDF form can be accessed here:

http://www.lg.com/us/appliances/vacuum-cleaners/LG-upright-vacuum-cleaner-LuV300B.jsp

LuV200 manual in PDF form can be accessed here:

http://www.lg.com/us/appliances/vacuum-cleaners/LG-upright-vacuum-cleaner-LuV200.jsp

Venson

This message was modified Jun 24, 2010 by Venson
CarmineD

Reply #13   Jun 24, 2010 1:05 pm
Thanks Venson.  What one do you prefer?  LV200 for $319 or LV300 for $419?

Is the dust separators accessible for user cleaning?  How big would you estimate the dirt capacity of the bin?  Is there a full line indicator on the bin?

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #14   Jun 24, 2010 2:45 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Thanks Venson.  What one do you prefer?  LV200 for $319 or LV300 for $419?

Is the dust separators accessible for user cleaning?  How big would you estimate the dirt capacity of the bin?  Is there a full line indicator on the bin?

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,

The higher-priced model comes with a 40-foot cord, just 10 feet less than the lesser model.  As well, I never been het up about vacuum accesories that require battery replacement.  The LuV300 does have a manual switch on the body of the cleaner but I found no clear indication whether it allows use of all speeds or one in teh absence of a working remote control.  If I had to buy either I'd probably go for the less expensive LuV200.  The five-year warranty may prove an enticement even before an inevitable price drop.  LG, though a maker of decent appliances and electronics is still attempting to grow its name here in many ways.

I bought an LG room air conditioner only because I'd had an LG refrigerator that does well.  The purchase of the refrigerator -- due to size and design -- was purely a roll of the dice that turned out perfect for my needs.  That encouraged me to be a little venturesome when it came to other products.  I have the canister vac clone LG did for Sears.

Per the user manuals (see links in last post) the new uprights' dust separator is accessible for cleaning by way of a small door on either side of the upper part of the collection bin.  I'd guess the machine can hold a good quart or more but couldn't judge as the floor model's bin was dirty from prolonged use.  There's a "Max" line but with your view abscured by fluff and dust it should be very hard to tell the amount you've collected or how well the "kompressor" works without actually dumping it.  The manual suggests periodically wiping out the collection with a soft cloth or paper towel. 

Venson

This message was modified Jun 24, 2010 by Venson
CarmineD

Reply #15   Jun 24, 2010 7:42 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi Carmine,

The higher-priced model comes with a 40-foot cord, just 10 feet less than the lesser model.  As well, I never been het up about vacuum accesories that require battery replacement.  The LuV300 does have a manual switch on the body of the cleaner but I found no clear indication whether it allows use of all speeds or one in teh absence of a working remote control.  If I had to buy either I'd probably go for the less expensive LuV200.  The five-year warranty may prove an enticement even before an inevitable price drop.  LG, though a maker of decent appliances and electronics is still attempting to grow its name here in many ways.

I bought an LG room air conditioner only because I'd had an LG refrigerator that does well.  The purchase of the refrigerator -- due to size and design -- was purely a roll of the dice that turned out perfect for my needs.  That encouraged me to be a little venturesome when it came to other products.  I have the canister vac clone LG did for Sears.

Per the user manuals (see links in last post) the new uprights' dust separator is accessible for cleaning by way of a small door on either side of the upper part of the collection bin.  I'd guess the machine can hold a good quart or more but couldn't judge as the floor model's bin was dirty from prolonged use.  There's a "Max" line but with your view abscured by fluff and dust it should be very hard to tell the amount you've collected or how well the "kompressor" works without actually dumping it.  The manual suggests periodically wiping out the collection with a soft cloth or paper towel. 

Venson

Thanks Venson.  The links with the User Guides are very helpful.  Without having seen them yet, but reading your posts and gleaning the User Guides, I'd probably decide on the less expensive LG 200.  The smaller cord is 30 feet but the winder is a plus.  22 pounds is not too bad for a full size upright and tools on board.  Been too busy with all the usual summer stuff here in LV and haven't made it in to see these new models.  I appreciate your reviews and responses to my questions.

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #16   Jun 25, 2010 11:13 am
22lbs equates to 10kg. That's heavier than Sebo's X or Miele's S7!
Venson

Reply #17   Jun 25, 2010 12:37 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
22lbs equates to 10kg. That's heavier than Sebo's X or Miele's S7!

Hi vacmanuk,

That's merely a pound above my S7 if my recall is correct.   Weight issues are in the eye . . .  um . . . I mean the hand of the user.  A 22-pound upright that won't be being carried around a lot is not necessarily a big deal for one in decent health.  There have been and are heavier cleaners.  In the case of persons of dimunitive size or of age or possessing ailments that would cause use of more weighty machines to be a burden, the 22 pounds is an issue.  They definitely should choose lightweight machines.

As for me, right now I'm thinking tea and cookes.  The steps could stand another sleaning and a trip up and down with the Miele should burn the extra calories right off.

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #18   Jun 25, 2010 12:57 pm
Cordwinder probably adds extra weight [on the LV200] as does the 40 feet of cord [LV300].  Full size uprights generally are greater than 16 pounds in the USA. 

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #19   Jun 25, 2010 6:58 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Thanks Venson.  The links with the User Guides are very helpful. . . Carmine D.

Hi,

I like to include those because they speak tomes sometimes -- especially where use and maintenance are concerned.

Venson

Venson

Reply #20   Jul 4, 2010 8:11 am
Hi,

Just a heads-up -- P.C. Ricjhard, an eastern chain of appliance and electronics stores, has dropped the price on both the LuV200 and LuV200 by $30.00 for July 4th.  I'm wondering if the new price will hold after the holiday.

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #21   Jul 4, 2010 1:50 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi,

Just a heads-up -- P.C. Ricjhard, an eastern chain of appliance and electronics stores, has dropped the price on both the LuV200 and LuV200 by $30.00 for July 4th.  I'm wondering if the new price will hold after the holiday.

Venson

Hi Venson:

Unless sales are going great guns, and I tend to think they are not, these LG vacuum prices will have to come down/keep going down.  Only way retailers will move these LG bagless vacuums [all high price bagless] is to continually discount the prices over time.  If not, they will gather dust on the shelves.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #22   Jul 9, 2010 7:37 am
Venson wrote:
Hi,

Venson

Hi Venson:

I see Home Depot is selling the LG200 now thru July 28 for $299 plus 10 percentb off.  Other retailers are holding the $299 price too before discounts.

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #23   Jul 9, 2010 7:39 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hi Venson:

I see Home Depot is selling the LG200 now thru July 28 for $299 plus 10 percentb off.  Other retailers are holding the $299 price too before discounts.

Carmine D.

thanks for the heads-up Carmine.

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #24   Jul 9, 2010 7:41 am
Venson wrote:

thanks for the heads-up Carmine.

Venson

Your welcome.  I think it may be worth $270.  Time and more review will tell.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #25   Aug 21, 2010 8:41 am
Several appliance retailers who carry LG products have reverted/resorted to gifting the Kompressor with the purchase of LG washer and dryer.  And offering financing on the W/D purchases.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #26   Sep 20, 2010 3:14 pm
FWIW, the LG Kompressor models are receiving alot of retailers' advertising space these days not just as stand alone purchases but bundled with other LG appliances.  I haven't had an opportunity to scope out yet but it's on my agenda.  Just wondering out loud if others have/will and what their opinions of the LG vacuum products are, Kompressor models in particular.  Venson, Vacmanuk, I know you both are always up to date on the latest and greatest in the vacuum world, have you followed up with these LG Kompressors?

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #27   Sep 20, 2010 3:48 pm
Nope. Put simply the UK hasn't got the latest Kompressor uprights. Here's what we do have and it has since been discontinued according to LGE UK. This is the LG VF5718CNB Vacuum Cleaner.

CarmineD

Reply #28   Sep 20, 2010 8:37 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Nope. Put simply the UK hasn't got the latest Kompressor uprights. Here's what we do have and it has since been discontinued according to LGE UK. This is the LG VF5718CNB Vacuum Cleaner.

Thanks for the info.  I suspect the latest from LG will eventually land in the UK.  Probably before the Christmas Holidays.

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #29   Sep 22, 2010 2:33 am
CarmineD wrote:
FWIW, the LG Kompressor models are receiving alot of retailers' advertising space these days not just as stand alone purchases but bundled with other LG appliances.  I haven't had an opportunity to scope out yet but it's on my agenda.  Just wondering out loud if others have/will and what their opinions of the LG vacuum products are, Kompressor models in particular.  Venson, Vacmanuk, I know you both are always up to date on the latest and greatest in the vacuum world, have you followed up with these LG Kompressors?

Carmine D.don't empty

Hi Cramine,

LG is promoting the new uprghts on its claim that they are capable of managing three times more dust containment than most bagless vacuums due to the Kompressor set-up which compresses collected dirt and debris into "dust cakes".  This is said to mean that you can clean up to three rooms before having to dump the machine's collection bin.  This may bring debate by way of persons who aren't big on bothering about emptying bagless vacs as prescribed but for us "book followers" it's a comfort to know.

As I mentioned prior, the Kompressor flap swings side to side to compact dust, dirt and debris the machine has sucked up and most interesting, just above the compression area in the collection bin LG has put a different spin on cyclonics.  Instead of the usual horizintal air cycling, LG has employed a vertical spin for dust separation to take better advantage of gravity in the process.  The really great features are easy access to the cyclone area from either side plus the user maintainable pre- and HEPA filters.  Put both under a good flow of just plain old cool tap water, let them dry (out of direct sunlight of course) and you're good to go.  One HEPA and two pre-filters come with either machine and LG estimates you'll have about a good two-and-one-half years before needing to get new ones.

Differences are marked between the two but both models have the same vertical cyclonic systems, edge cleaning, filtering and dust capture capacity.  The high-end Model 300 has a forty-foot cord and for that reason no cord reel. Also, its hose bears battery-operated RF (radio frequency) switches to control its three speed motor  plus turn the machine and or its revolving brush on or off.  A main switch on the base of the machine can be used if batteries in the hose handle need replacement.

Best,

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #30   Sep 22, 2010 7:33 am
Venson wrote:
Hi Cramine,

LG is promoting the new uprghts on its claim that they are capable of managing three times more dust containment than most bagless vacuums due to the Kompressor set-up which compresses collected dirt and debris into "dust cakes".  This is said to mean that you can clean up to three rooms before having to dump the machine's collection bin.  This may bring debate by way of persons who aren't big on bothering about emptying bagless vacs as prescribed but for us "book followers" it's a comfort to know.

As I mentioned prior, the Kompressor flap swings side to side to compact dust, dirt and debris the machine has sucked up and most interesting, just above the compression area in the collection bin LG has put a different spin on cyclonics.  Instead of the usual horizintal air cycling, LG has employed a vertical spin for dust separation to take better advantage of gravity in the process.  The really great features are easy access to the cyclone area from either side plus the user maintainable pre- and HEPA filters.  Put both under a good flow of just plain old cool tap water, let them dry (out of direct sunlight of course) and you're good to go.  One HEPA and two pre-filters come with either machine and LG estimates you'll have about a good two-and-one-half years before needing to get new ones.

Differences are marked between the two but both models have the same vertical cyclonic systems, edge cleaning, filtering and dust capture capacity.  The high-end Model 300 has a forty-foot cord and for that reason no cord reel. Also, its hose bears battery-operated RF (radio frequency) switches to control its three speed motor  plus turn the machine and or its revolving brush on or off.  A main switch on the base of the machine can be used if batteries in the hose handle need replacement.

Best,

Venson

Thanks for the info Venson.  Let me recap: Vertical cyclones, cord winder/40 foot cord with no winder, easy access to cyclones for washing, 3X more dirt capture than usual for bagless vacuums before bin dumping, honesty about filters' life with no nonsensical claims about lifetime guarantees, suction controls/regulators.  Did I miss anything?

What are your thoughts the belt and brush features? 

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #31   Sep 22, 2010 9:00 am
CarmineD wrote:
Thanks for the info Venson.  Let me recap: Vertical cyclones, cord winder/40 foot cord with no winder, easy access to cyclones for washing, 3X more dirt capture than usual for bagless vacuums before bin dumping, honesty about filters' life with no nonsensical claims about lifetime guarantees, suction controls/regulators.  Did I miss anything?

What are your thoughts the belt and brush features? 

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,

That about covers it.  I haven't elaborated much on the "Dual Force" airways in the brush chamber as I have not seen them in action.  The claim is that they enhance edge cleaning. 

Maintenance for the belt and brushroll is quite easy.  You simply flip the cleaner and undo the six screws that hold the base plate in place.

Venson

vacmanuk

Reply #32   Sep 22, 2010 12:45 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi Carmine,

That about covers it.  I haven't elaborated much on the "Dual Force" airways in the brush chamber as I have not seen them in action.  The claim is that they enhance edge cleaning. 

Maintenance for the belt and brushroll is quite easy.  You simply flip the cleaner and undo the six screws that hold the base plate in place.

Venson

A brush plate that requires 6 screws to be undone to get into it isn't easy in my book!
Venson

Reply #33   Sep 23, 2010 12:46 am
vacmanuk wrote:
A brush plate that requires 6 screws to be undone to get into it isn't easy in my book!

Hi vacmanuk,

It's a new world unfortunately.  Many vacuum manufacturers to all appearance don't want us doing anything that they coupd perfectly well charge us for. 

Personally, I'd love to see the clips and levers used in many older American upright vacs like the Hoover Convertibles and Dial-A-Matics come back.  Belt and brush roll maintenance was a breeze as no tools were required.  Yet, I suspect that such convenience is considered too costly to provide by current makers.  (Also, i have a sneaking suspicion they don't want end-users being too self-sufficient.)

I had often bragged that I could knock down and reassemble any vacuum made since 1952 but the thought in regard to my S7 sets me shaking in my shoes.  You can't just go to your kitchen drawer and pull out a screwdriver for slotted or Phillips head screws.  A "special" screwdriver is needed that most of us don't know where to locate or buy.  That's why I see LG's six screws with ordinary heads easy to deal with. 

Best,

Venson

Venson

Reply #34   Sep 23, 2010 12:46 am
vacmanuk wrote:

Hi vacmanuk,

It's a new world unfortunately.  Many vacuum manufacturers to all appearance don't want us doing anything that they coupd perfectly well charge us for. 

Personally, I'd love to see the clips and levers used in many older American upright vacs like the Hoover Convertibles and Dial-A-Matics come back.  Belt and brush roll maintenance was a breeze as no tools were required.  Yet, I suspect that such convenience is considered too costly to provide by current makers.  (Also, i have a sneaking suspicion they don't want end-users being too self-sufficient.)

I had often bragged that I could knock down and reassemble any vacuum made since 1952 but the thought in regard to my S7 sets me shaking in my shoes.  You can't just go to your kitchen drawer and pull out a screwdriver for slotted or Phillips head screws.  A "special" screwdriver is needed that most of us don't know where to locate or buy.  That's why I see LG's six screws with ordinary heads easy to deal with. 

Best,

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #35   Sep 23, 2010 7:17 am
Venson wrote:
Hi Carmine,

Venson

Thanks for the info Venson.  Recapping: Bagless with 1/3 less bin dumps, washable cyclones and filters [both pre-post motor], user friendly belt and brush roll service [if you don't mind time/trouble of using a standard household screwdriver].  3 level motor sucton controls.  $250-$350 price range for least to best.

One more question:  Comparing LG Kompressor to dyson DC28 [$599] and what do you think?  A run for the money?

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #36   Sep 23, 2010 9:36 am
CarmineD wrote:
Thanks for the info Venson.  Recapping: Bagless with 1/3 less bin dumps, washable cyclones and filters [both pre-post motor], user friendly belt and brush roll service [if you don't mind time/trouble of using a standard household screwdriver].  3 level motor sucton controls.  $250-$350 price range for least to best.

One more question:  Comparing LG Kompressor to dyson DC28 [$599] and what do you think?  A run for the money?

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,

That's really a hard one.  LG is a new kid on the block when it comes to vacuums in the U.S.  Though I am not a fan of Dyson, it has the obvious advantage of longer, larger press and market exposure and certainly way more word of mouth.  Bagless vacs are now of growing interest to shoppers.  LG's advantage is the offering of two somewhat less expensive bagless uprights with potentially useful features and longer than usual warranties for non-niche vac brands.  I've been speaking to folks here and there and lot of them have a hard time wrapping their heads around the idea of three-, four- or five-hundred dollars for a vacuum cleaner.

Maybe it's due to locale.  I'm not up on what costs are like beyond my immediate area.  In New York City, everything is expensive.  If you're keeping a car, premium gas is about $3.10 a gallon while across the river in New Jersey it runs as low as $2.69.  If you're walking, the subway's $2.25 a trip and  I won't even get into rent, food and clothing prices. Oh yeah -- sales tax is 8.875 percent.  With all that in mind, launching two new vacuums in the $300 to $400 range could prove a daunting task. 

What I'd like to see is LG get on the bandwagon and take a chance on HSN.  They'd get to sell and advertise nationwide in one fell swoop.  However, since HSN demos, sells and spotlights product, what are the gains and losses of the manufacturers making use of it?

Venson

Venson

Reply #37   Sep 24, 2010 3:22 am
Venson wrote:
Hi Carmine,

. . .  What I'd like to see is LG get on the bandwagon and take a chance on HSN.  . . .

Venson

My error -- the LuV300 is on HSN at standard $399 price.

Venson

vacmanuk

Reply #38   Sep 24, 2010 5:56 am
Venson wrote:
Hi vacmanuk,

Best,

Venson

Well I dont think every manufacturer is doing that though Venson. I think some brands are looking at similar ways to SEBO or Dyson to remove stuff from floor heads. Certainly Vax have the right idea on their Mach Air lightweight vacuum, one of the better functions on it for example is that the floor head cover just comes off via two plastic clips when the roller brush requires cleaning.

This message was modified Sep 24, 2010 by vacmanuk
CarmineD

Reply #39   Sep 24, 2010 7:47 am
Venson wrote:
Hi Carmine,

That's really a hard one.  LG is a new kid on the block when it comes to vacuums in the U.S.  Though I am not a fan of Dyson, it has the obvious advantage of longer, larger press and market exposure and certainly way more word of mouth.  Bagless vacs are now of growing interest to shoppers.  LG's advantage is the offering of two somewhat less expensive bagless uprights with potentially useful features and longer than usual warranties for non-niche vac brands.  I've been speaking to folks here and there and lot of them have a hard time wrapping their heads around the idea of three-, four- or five-hundred dollars for a vacuum cleaner.

Maybe it's due to locale.  I'm not up on what costs are like beyond my immediate area.  In New York City, everything is expensive.  If you're keeping a car, premium gas is about $3.10 a gallon while across the river in New Jersey it runs as low as $2.69.  If you're walking, the subway's $2.25 a trip and  I won't even get into rent, food and clothing prices. Oh yeah -- sales tax is 8.875 percent.  With all that in mind, launching two new vacuums in the $300 to $400 range could prove a daunting task. 

What I'd like to see is LG get on the bandwagon and take a chance on HSN.  They'd get to sell and advertise nationwide in one fell swoop.  However, since HSN demos, sells and spotlights product, what are the gains and losses of the manufacturers making use of it?

Venson

Venson wrote:
My error -- the LuV300 is on HSN at standard $399 price.

Venson

Hi Venson:

I'm not surprised to learn HSN is selling the latest LG upright.  Tho I've not seen it debut on the air/demoed by HSN.  I suspect it will once the LG vacuums are more pervasive in the big box retailers in the USA. 

You've touched on a number of cogent points with regard to LG and dyson.  LG is in my view looking not just for the new bagless customers but those disenchanted with existing bagged and bagless vacuums including dyson.  Hence, the additional LG selling features, like cord winder, motor suction controls, and dirt bin compression to reduce trips to the trash can.  With a price, tho high by BBR standards, competitive with the competition.

WRT LG name recognition for vacuums.  A smart seller will say LG makes and brands bagless vacuums for SEARS and has for quite sometime.  LG is a huge presence in large  household appliances and electronics worldwide while most vacuum makers are just limited to vacuums.  This has sales appeal to most buyers especially those with LG appliances already who are happy with them. 

Have to wait and see if indies become interested in the LG bagless. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Sep 24, 2010 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #40   Sep 24, 2010 8:33 am
vacmanuk wrote:
Well I dont think every manufacturer is doing that though Venson. I think some brands are looking at similar ways to SEBO or Dyson to remove stuff from floor heads. Certainly Vax have the right idea on their Mach Air lightweight vacuum, one of the better functions on it for example is that the floor head cover just comes off via two plastic clips when the roller brush requires cleaning.

Hi vacmanuk,

Nice idea but not much of an answer to my desires.  My S7 can easily be flipped over and the scissor guides (thank you Lucky1) on the body of the brushroll to make cutting away thread and hair easy enough without removal of the base plate.  Nonetheless, the brushrolls and belts are not removable for maintenance or replacement by users regarding the Miele S7 or Vax's Mach Air series.  (See the link to the Mach Air manual.) If problems arise, I have to call Miele and Vax owners have to get in touch with Vax.  That's not my idea of convenient.

http://www.vax.co.uk/downloads/pdf/u90-u91-ma_series_user_guide.pdf

Please see page 7.  Vax goes so far as to say "IMPORTANT: for your safety, never try to access / replace brushbar drive belt."  This to me is just another way of making procedures that should literally be no-brainers for users overly complicated, inconvenient and of unnecessary cost even if we're merely speaking of the a drive to an authorized place of repair. 

Venson

This message was modified Sep 24, 2010 by Venson
vacmanuk

Reply #41   Sep 24, 2010 1:35 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi vacmanuk,

Nice idea but not much of an answer to my desires.  My S7 can easily be flipped over and the scissor guides (thank you Lucky1) on the body of the brushroll to make cutting away thread and hair easy enough without removal of the base plate.  Nonetheless, the brushrolls and belts are not removable for maintenance or replacement by users regarding the Miele S7 or Vax's Mach Air series.  (See the link to the Mach Air manual.) If problems arise, I have to call Miele and Vax owners have to get in touch with Vax.  That's not my idea of convenient.

http://www.vax.co.uk/downloads/pdf/u90-u91-ma_series_user_guide.pdf

Please see page 7.  Vax goes so far as to say "IMPORTANT: for your safety, never try to access / replace brushbar drive belt."  This to me is just another way of making procedures that should literally be no-brainers for users overly complicated, inconvenient and of unnecessary cost even if we're merely speaking of the a drive to an authorized place of repair. 

Venson

I do hope your desires aren't going over loose threads to test the destructibility of your machine! It is also fairly easy to speculate the problems you would incur, but what have you incurred so far?
There was a time when I would agree with you - after all, as a SEBO owner the roller brushes on both the K/D/ cylinders with electric heads, Felix/Dart and X models are far simpler to remove to clean etc. BUT, the SEBO company have always been a commercial vacuum company first and foremost - as you are aware - so their machines have easy enough to remove components by the owner to maintain their vacuums.

Miele and other brands are different though since they are domestic brands that have little commercial range outside their niche markets. I believe that makes all the difference in this respect - although it is clear where Miele have cut corners since their cylinder floor heads have easy to remove screws on their base plates should anything get tangled/needs maintained. The Vax Mach Air has a reset button on the floor head - so if it does seize up, the floor head can re-brake itself. I've only had one problem with my Mach Air in this respect and once the button was pushed, the roller bar came back to life.
Venson

Reply #42   Sep 24, 2010 3:02 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
I do hope your desires aren't going over loose threads to test the destructibility of your machine! It is also fairly easy to speculate the problems you would incur, but what have you incurred so far?

Hi,

Not at all!  I have no problems with loose thread, long tresses or pet fur mucking up the works with my vacuums but many do.  Thus maintenance should be simple.  And . . . if an owner hopefully has his or her machine for a good amount of time and feels a brushroll change is in order that should be simple too.  Other than to buy the replacement piece, there should be no need for a run to a vac shop over the matter.

As for the auto-shutoff for brushrolls -- it should be a given in any clean-air upright vacuum.  Long hair, thread, etc., will usually not stop a brushroll.  The unseen sock, kid's toy, fringe on rugs or the edge of a scatter rug will.

Venson

vacmanuk

Reply #43   Sep 24, 2010 8:24 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi,

Not at all!  I have no problems with loose thread, long tresses or pet fur mucking up the works with my vacuums but many do.  Thus maintenance should be simple.  And . . . if an owner hopefully has his or her machine for a good amount of time and feels a brushroll change is in order that should be simple too.  Other than to buy the replacement piece, there should be no need for a run to a vac shop over the matter.

As for the auto-shutoff for brushrolls -- it should be a given in any clean-air upright vacuum.  Long hair, thread, etc., will usually not stop a brushroll.  The unseen sock, kid's toy, fringe on rugs or the edge of a scatter rug will.

Venson

Well, that's why there's a reset button on the Vax floor head - any fringes etc, kid's toys. I think sometimes though as an owner logic has to take over. Owners after all dont put rocks in their washing machine, or towels in their dishwasher!
Venson

Reply #44   Sep 25, 2010 7:48 am
vacmanuk wrote:
Well, that's why there's a reset button on the Vax floor head - any fringes etc, kid's toys. I think sometimes though as an owner logic has to take over. Owners after all dont put rocks in their washing machine, or towels in their dishwasher!

Never underestimate user "ingenuity".  There was once a cookbook composed of recipes that could be cooked (wrapped in foil of course) in your dishwasher as you ran a load of dishes.  I've made tea and grilled cheese sandwiches with a travel iron.  But that's not the issue.  My point is that this sudden trend for having to bring a vacuum back to a shop over what should be small issues is needless.  Burned out carbon motor brushes, short circuits, breakage all are more in order for shop visits but belt and brushrool replace or management should never be.

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #45   Sep 26, 2010 7:59 am
User vacuum maintenance wrt brush roll and belt is a double sided coin.  It doesn't aid IMHO in the initial sale of the vacuum but allows for longevity of product use.  To be user friendly, the product must first allow for easy access to the parts and easy replacement.   More importantly the parts, brush roll and belts, must be affordable and readily available to users.  Both [easily accomplished and readily available at affordable prices] are needed if the brand/model is to be owned/used by homeowners for the long haul. 

Some brands/models warn users up front not to tackle replacement although they may make access easy.  They advise seeing an authorized dealer.  Other brands/models clearly show users "how to" but may use 4-6 standard screws for the job to get done.  In the final analysis, if the parts are inexpensive and available, and users are so inclined they will go with doing the replacement themselves regardless of the screws, clips, and/or both.  I lean toward the latter for product longevity and usage for the long haul.

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #46   Sep 26, 2010 8:48 am
CarmineD wrote:
User vacuum maintenance wrt brush roll and belt is a double sided coin.  It doesn't aid IMHO in the initial sale of the vacuum but allows for longevity of product use.  To be user friendly, the product must first allow for easy access to the parts and easy replacement.   More importantly the parts, brush roll and belts, must be affordable and readily available to users.  Both [easily accomplished and readily available at affordable prices] are needed if the brand/model is to be owned/used by homeowners for the long haul. 

Some brands/models warn users up front not to tackle replacement although they may make access easy.  They advise seeing an authorized dealer.  Other brands/models clearly show users "how to" but may use 4-6 standard screws for the job to get done.  In the final analysis, if the parts are inexpensive and available, and users are so inclined they will go with doing the replacement themselves regardless of the screws, clips, and/or both.  I lean toward the latter for product longevity and usage for the long haul.

Carmine D.

I agree with you on some points Carmine, but I don't feel paying top dollar for the parts has to be an issue or indeed making things affordable. If companies are out to make a quick buck then most of their products will reflect that not just in inaccessible areas that other brands have always put to the top of their list (SEBO being one I can strongly identify with) but with the general build quality and sometimes even the design of the product in question. As you say it is a "double sided coin," where maintenance is concerned, but as buyers we can't specify down to the iota what "affordable" is. I've been down this route with you before, remember the cost of Oreck bags in the U.K? Yes, it is a poor exchange rate from U.S to U.K currency / vice versa but when you look at prices in the U.S for SEBO products or even Miele, I'd say you guys get the raw deal compared to cheaper UK prices. The upside is that the U.S seems to get a better array of vacuum cleaners generally - and yes I've often thought about moving to the U.S!!
CarmineD

Reply #47   Sep 26, 2010 5:05 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
I agree with you on some points Carmine, but I don't feel paying top dollar for the parts has to be an issue or indeed making things affordable. If companies are out to make a quick buck then most of their products will reflect that not just in inaccessible areas that other brands have always put to the top of their list (SEBO being one I can strongly identify with) but with the general build quality and sometimes even the design of the product in question. As you say it is a "double sided coin," where maintenance is concerned, but as buyers we can't specify down to the iota what "affordable" is. I've been down this route with you before, remember the cost of Oreck bags in the U.K? Yes, it is a poor exchange rate from U.S to U.K currency / vice versa but when you look at prices in the U.S for SEBO products or even Miele, I'd say you guys get the raw deal compared to cheaper UK prices. The upside is that the U.S seems to get a better array of vacuum cleaners generally - and yes I've often thought about moving to the U.S!!

Hi vacmanuk:

Plus the transportation costs to ship the ORECK bags over the pond to the UK.  The second most expensive cost for appliances, after the actual raw materials to make them, is the transportations and shipping costs to get them to market.

Now is a very good time to move to the US.  Housing is the most affordable it's been in almost 50 years and the rates on mortgages are the lowest in over 30 years. 

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #48   Oct 6, 2010 3:20 pm
The Kompressor series has a new model that I've just seen at a nearby Sears.  It's the LuV400T.  It's basically the same as the blue LuV330B but is now color-schemed an authoritarianly efficient looking basic  black with chrome acents.  A bare floor tool, mattress tool which I think vibrates and an extra-flexible crevice tool with carrying case.

Say goodnight gracie . . .

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #49   Oct 6, 2010 4:55 pm
Venson wrote:
The Kompressor series has a new model that I've just seen at a nearby Sears.  It's the LuV400T.  It's basically the same as the blue LuV330B but is now color-schemed an authoritarianly efficient looking basic  black with chrome acents.  A bare floor tool, mattress tool which I think vibrates and an extra-flexible crevice tool with carrying case.

Say goodnight gracie . . .

Venson

Good night Gracie.  Looks like LG is here to stay awhile.  With some neat ideas.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #50   Oct 8, 2010 7:29 am
Venson:

Has LG and its retailers lowered the price on the TOL model from $399 to $318 before discounts?  I see the lower prices advertised now and figure its to make way for the latest and greatest from LG.

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #51   Oct 8, 2010 11:36 am
CarmineD wrote:
Venson:

Has LG and its retailers lowered the price on the TOL model from $399 to $318 before discounts?  I see the lower prices advertised now and figure its to make way for the latest and greatest from LG.

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,

It appears that retailers are leaning on their individual discretion in regard to pricing despite whatever LG or any manufacturer may suggest.  I won't do the name game but one well-known retailer has the no longer top of the line LuV330R at $427.  New king of the LuV400T hill is priced at $523 and the LuV200 is $327.  Yet another retailer is prepared to whack a hunk off price if it feels it's got a truly interested buyer hesitating due to LG's suggested $399.00 price. Another popular retailer does not negotiate price and does not make much effort to display any of the vacuums it sells.

Repeating myself, I have noticed that lots of big-box stores and even "department store" style sales venues do not appear to worry much over providing customers with facilities for trying out machines.  Some have nice displays but either no or very inconveniently placed electrical outlets  People walk in, make a pick and dump it in their shopping cart.  Though it's the customer's option to bring it back within a given time period I can't see how much of desire is developed to bother with $300 and above vacuum -- especially by those who see that kind of money as big bucks.  By the way today's NY Times is claiming that 95,000 jobs were lost in the U.S. during the month of September.  Everybody's ready to go out and buy high . . . right?

Best,

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #52   Oct 8, 2010 1:33 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi Carmine,

It appears that retailers are leaning on their individual discretion in regard to pricing despite whatever LG or any manufacturer may suggest.  I won't do the name game but one well-known retailer has the no longer top of the line LuV330R at $427.  New king of the LuV400T hill is priced at $523 and the LuV200 is $327.  Yet another retailer is prepared to whack a hunk off price if it feels it's got a truly interested buyer hesitating due to LG's suggested $399.00 price. Another popular retailer does not negotiate price and does not make much effort to display any of the vacuums it sells.

Repeating myself, I have noticed that lots of big-box stores and even "department store" style sales venues do not appear to worry much over providing customers with facilities for trying out machines.  Some have nice displays but either no or very inconveniently placed electrical outlets  People walk in, make a pick and dump it in their shopping cart.  Though it's the customer's option to bring it back within a given time period I can't see how much of desire is developed to bother with $300 and above vacuum -- especially by those who see that kind of money as big bucks.  By the way today's NY Times is claiming that 95,000 jobs were lost in the U.S. during the month of September.  Everybody's ready to go out and buy high . . . right?

Best,

Venson

Hi Venson:

I hear you.  Ironically, all big box retailers are gingerly raising their prices and passing along increases in their operating and administrative costs and expenses to their customers.  Have to wait and see how that works for them.  I'm predicting customers will respond as they usually do when this happens.  Stay home and don't shop and if they do, don't buy.

Carmine D.

PS Venson:  1 in 5 US homes are facing foreclosure and 1 in 8 Americans are living below the annual poverty amount.   

This message was modified Oct 8, 2010 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #53   Oct 8, 2010 3:48 pm
November 2010 Consumer Reports rates and ranks the latest from LG in uprights and surprise they score fairly well with overall totals of 65 for the LuV200 and 67 for the LuV300.  Carpet and pet hair cleaning scores are Very Good but tool suction for the LuV300 only scores Average.

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #54   Oct 9, 2010 9:56 pm
CarmineD wrote:
November 2010 Consumer Reports rates and ranks the latest from LG in uprights and surprise they score fairly well with overall totals of 65 for the LuV200 and 67 for the LuV300.  Carpet and pet hair cleaning scores are Very Good but tool suction for the LuV300 only scores Average.

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,

I know, I browsed CR online and was pleased to learn they'd done well. They are quite good vacuums as far as suction power and cleaning ability go. 

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #55   Oct 10, 2010 8:02 am
Venson wrote:
Hi Carmine,

I know, I browsed CR online and was pleased to learn they'd done well. They are quite good vacuums as far as suction power and cleaning ability go. 

Venson

Hello Venson:

Do you think in time and after pending patents expire that other bagless brands will copy the LG "compression" feature?  Consumer Reports was rather neutral on the benefits of the feature but at least highligted this LG feature as a major difference over other bagless brands. 

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #56   Oct 11, 2010 5:35 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Venson:

Do you think in time and after pending patents expire that other bagless brands will copy the LG "compression" feature?  Consumer Reports was rather neutral on the benefits of the feature but at least highligted this LG feature as a major difference over other bagless brands. 

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,

It's hard to say.  How well the system -- vertical cyclone and the "wiper blade for compacting dirt -- actually works.could prove to be debatable.  A while back I posted links to a video or two re earlier Kompressor models that sort of made the grade but not as perfectly as ads and claims may have stated.  From what I've seen this system does help keep collected demo material-- confetti, kapok and coffee grounds -- toward the back of the collection bin but that kind of material makes for a loose pack, possibly not allowing a chance to view the full effect.  "Real dirt" is different.

From what I've seen people are thinking on how well the cleaners pick up, their  weight and pricing.  The possible larger collection capacity and longer cleaning time between emptyings is what they find equally interesting.  The crucial point is how they will perform -- and survive -- for over-zealous or neglectful users that take the claims to heart.  In other words, compared to others, how long will LG's machine last when compromised by user preference day to day?

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #57   Oct 11, 2010 8:09 am
Venson wrote:
Hi Carmine,

It's hard to say.  How well the system -- vertical cyclone and the "wiper blade for compacting dirt -- actually works.could prove to be debatable.  A while back I posted links to a video or two re earlier Kompressor models that sort of made the grade but not as perfectly as ads and claims may have stated.  From what I've seen this system does help keep collected demo material-- confetti, kapok and coffee grounds -- toward the back of the collection bin but that kind of material makes for a loose pack, possibly not allowing a chance to view the full effect.  "Real dirt" is different.

From what I've seen people are thinking on how well the cleaners pick up, their  weight and pricing.  The possible larger collection capacity and longer cleaning time between emptyings is what they find equally interesting.  The crucial point is how they will perform -- and survive -- for over-zealous or neglectful users that take the claims to heart.  In other words, compared to others, how long will LG's machine last when compromised by user preference day to day?

Venson

Hi Venson:

Well said and true.  The test of time.  Those that survive and flourish, pass and continue to be part of the CR reviews and ratings.  Like MIELE.  Like KIRBY.  Like Aerus.  Those that don't, die off and are forgotten.  Like Fantom. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #58   Oct 19, 2010 9:02 am
Hi Venson:

SEARS launched the latest LG Kompressor 400 this past week with and an advertised price of $399.  However, the newspaper ad has the caveats that the listed price is before in store savings and before a 5 percent discount if purchased by SEARS cfredit card.  Looks like SEARS and LG are together once again.

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #59   Oct 20, 2010 7:10 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hi Venson:

SEARS launched the latest LG Kompressor 400 this past week with and an advertised price of $399.  However, the newspaper ad has the caveats that the listed price is before in store savings and before a 5 percent discount if purchased by SEARS cfredit card.  Looks like SEARS and LG are together once again.

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,

Maybe, maybe not.  Pricing seems to be going every which-way.  I went online to check it out.  I don't know if online Sears sites are several in number and set up for region or if one site serves for all.  From what I saw, the LG 200 and 300 have finally  been dropped to what I thought were the manufacturer's suggested prices -- $299 and $399 respectively.  However, the 400 model has been upped from $522 I've seen in Sears stores to $549.  See link to LG below.

http://www.lg.com/us/appliances/vacuum-cleaners/index.jsp

Venson
This message was modified Oct 20, 2010 by Venson
CarmineD

Reply #60   Oct 20, 2010 8:54 am
Venson wrote:
Hi Carmine,

Maybe, maybe not.  Pricing seems to be going every which-way.  I went online to check it out.  I don't know if online Sears sites are several in number and set up for region or if one site serves for all.  From what I saw, the LG 200 and 300 have finally  been dropped to what I thought were the manufacturer's suggested prices -- $299 and $399 respectively.  However, the 400 model has been upped from $522 I've seen in Sears stores to $549.  See link to LG below.

http://www.lg.com/us/appliances/vacuum-cleaners/index.jsp

Venson

Hi Venson:

You know better than me.  Is it likely that big box retail stores are pricing vacuums better in the store than on line to get more foot traffic, especially with the upcoming holiday sales season?

Carmine D. 

Venson

Reply #61   Oct 20, 2010 9:48 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hi Venson:

You know better than me.  Is it likely that big box retail stores are pricing vacuums better in the store than on line to get more foot traffic, especially with the upcoming holiday sales season?

Carmine D. 

Hi Carmine,

Well-known "black Friday" is soon to come and will probably tell the story re holiday shopping this year.  I've seen a lot of optimism but I've also seen of people still looking for work.  And even with those who are woking and maybe even with the so-called middle-class and its gung-ho shopping traits due to easy credit access slipping away here, it seems that asking for $250 to $350 is like asking folks to invest $1,,500 on a Kirby or Aerus. 

What retailers need to learn is how to take a new tack.  You really have to explain to someone the value of sacrificing the price of a couple weeks worth of groceries or what you could have paid out to your utilities provider for just a vacuum cleaner.  We're not dirt-poor but becoming extremely judicious as to what we spend on.  Andf, these days its totally necessary. 

Personally, I don't like but accept the way things stand these days.  What you paid $49.95 for in yester-year you pay 500 bucks for now.  Junk factor in mind, even I am prone to go the extra mile in price and sacrifice something else if I feel the product will be worth it.  Yet what I'm seeing is no matter whether warranties are 5 years, 10 or 20, "buying ahead" is not a great point of interest to a lot of current shoppers. I went to the Bissell website for pricing examples and discovered that out of many models only two priced above the $200 mark. and that appears to be what people seem to make themselves content with in light of limited or no demo facilities. Imagine, can't turn a vacuum on just to see if you like the noise level yet its the Bissells and inexpensive Hoovers that you see being walked out of stores more than anything else.   .

As you know, the stores are making money off their so-called "extended service plans".  (And to think I thought people were actually becoming resistant to the idea.) You pay extra money and when the product dies in a year or so you go back to the store and get another one or its equivalent. What spells cheap product better? Nonetheless, the more youu extoll teh value of a long warranty, the more you learn uit falls on deaf ears.  If it really is an ill wind that bears no good, maybe this will benefit the indies.  You can at least walk in and kick the tires on what you want before buying.

CarmineD

Reply #62   Oct 21, 2010 8:43 am
Hi Venson:

You're right about the indicator for sales after Thanksgiving: Black Friday so known due to the fact that retailers break even for the year/go ahead.  And cyber Monday too [Monday after Thnaksgiving] for internet sales.  While there havee been glimmers of hope for sales and consumer spending, I think its too soon to tell, as you say.  Some of the market gurus are actually attributing the recent market gains to the fact that investors are optimistic about a Republican landslide in the mid terms giving more credence to certainty in the markets.  I don't completely buy into this idea, but I think there is a seed of truth to it.  The DOW is a complilation of 30 stocks only not a good indicator for the overall business and economy.  Just Wall Street as I like to say, not Main Street.  Time will tell.  Realistically unemployment and housing are the two hurdles weighing the recovery down.  I don't see these getting better until they both first get worse.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #63   Nov 13, 2010 7:51 am
Fry's Electronics is selling the LGV200, model with 30 ft cord rewind for $199.

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #64   Nov 13, 2010 9:39 am
CarmineD wrote:

Carmine D.

Hi,

A really sensible price for this specific model as it has a more modest attachment set than the LuV300 and LuV400.

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #65   Nov 15, 2010 8:46 am
Venson wrote:
Hi,

A really sensible price for this specific model as it has a more modest attachment set than the LuV300 and LuV400.

Venson

Agree Venson.  With an MSRP of $299, the Fry's sale's price on this LG upright is a discount of 33 percent.  And so soon before Thanksgiving and Christmas sales season.  A sign of things to come for the Holiday sales season.  Factoring into the purchase price that retailers like SEARS and TARGET offer 5 to 10 percent more off the purchase amounts if the their credit car is used, MSRP will be discounted by close to half.  Just what is needed to spark consumer purchasing and retailers' sales this Holiday season.  At these discounts, the upper end priced items, like this LG model, are more competitive with the less expensive advertised sales specials for HOOVER, Dirt Devil, EUREKA and BISSELL vacuums.  With the LG name recognition, price discounts, and retailers' sales advertisments, a winning combo for all. 

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #66   Nov 15, 2010 9:30 am
CarmineD wrote:
Agree Venson.  With an MSRP of $299, the Fry's sale's price on this LG upright is a discount of 33 percent.  And so soon before Thanksgiving and Christmas sales season.  A sign of things to come for the Holiday sales season.  Factoring into the purchase price that retailers like SEARS and TARGET offer 5 to 10 percent more off the purchase amounts if the their credit car is used, MSRP will be discounted by close to half.  Just what is needed to spark consumer purchasing and retailers' sales this Holiday season.  At these discounts, the upper end priced items, like this LG model, are more competitive with the less expensive advertised sales specials for HOOVER, Dirt Devil, EUREKA and BISSELL vacuums.  With the LG name recognition, price discounts, and retailers' sales advertisments, a winning combo for all. 

Carmine D.

Mornin" Carmine,

I sincerely hope so though I'm beginning to wonder if the vacs would fare better in venues that mainly feature LG large appliances too or indie vac dealers where more focus could be placed on them. I was in a rather pleasant part of the world yesterday where LG was big on the bill and got to witness several couples being easily convinced, in one fell swoop no less, to drop several grand on LG ranges, fridges, washing machines and dishwashers.

However, despite the community's seeming moneyed air, when it got down to vacuums those with real intent to buy were looking at the Shark Ultralite stick vac (started out with a high price last year but can barely be given away for forty bucks now) and $50 Dirt Devils. However, no price was too small for LED TVs.

By the way, someone stated that Black Friday sales are actually a minus in regard to business. He claimed that a lot is sold below cost and, in consideration of what it costs to run the store for the day, there is no profit. I'm not a salesman but he is so I'm curious to know if his feeling is well-founded.

Best,

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #67   Nov 15, 2010 3:28 pm
Venson wrote:
Mornin" Carmine,

I sincerely hope so though I'm beginning to wonder if the vacs would fare better in venues that mainly feature LG large appliances too or indie vac dealers where more focus could be placed on them. I was in a rather pleasant part of the world yesterday where LG was big on the bill and got to witness several couples being easily convinced, in one fell swoop no less, to drop several grand on LG ranges, fridges, washing machines and dishwashers.

However, despite the community's seeming moneyed air, when it got down to vacuums those with real intent to buy were looking at the Shark Ultralite stick vac (started out with a high price last year but can barely be given away for forty bucks now) and $50 Dirt Devils. However, no price was too small for LED TVs.

By the way, someone stated that Black Friday sales are actually a minus in regard to business. He claimed that a lot is sold below cost and, in consideration of what it costs to run the store for the day, there is no profit. I'm not a salesman but he is so I'm curious to know if his feeling is well-founded.

Best,

Venson

Hi Venson:

Major applainces are still status symbols for buyers.  Vacuums, not so much.

On Black Friday: Profit/Loss?  Semantics and perspective.  It's commonly believed that all workers' earnings from January to May go to Uncle for taxes: Federal, state, and local.  Might be true but not from every paycheck, just in total at the end of the pay year after all is said and done.  So it is with retailers.  Typically all the profits earned through the 11 month of the year go to pay for inventory, overhead, employee salaries, benefits and administartive expenses.  After that time, everything made is clear profit [gravy] to the retailers and/or loss IF retailers don't have a handle on their yearly costs and expenses.  Any events/unforeseen incidents that interrupt this flow of business are usually dire.  Hence, a prolonged and unexpected labor strikes, store closures due to natural disasters and/or fires can kill the retailers' bottom line for the year.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #68   Nov 17, 2010 5:59 pm
Hi Venson:

You may know this already but it was news for me today.  LG plans to offer 10% cash rebates on appliances purchased now thru Christmas eve.  LG funds the cash rebate directly to the retailers so there is no profit margin loss for the stores.  LG, and I suspect other makers, will offer to a numder of the retailers who carry and sell their products.  This is a repeat of last year's where the same was offered in the 4th quarter by makers to increase appliance sales for the Holidays.  Which typically aren't Christmas gifts.  Worked last year at Lowe's and Home Depot.  Think it will work again this year.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #69   Nov 25, 2010 7:51 am
CarmineD wrote:

Carmine D.

SEARS is advertising and selling this LG for $199 on Thanksgiving Day and Friday after.

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #70   Nov 25, 2010 2:04 pm
CarmineD wrote:
SEARS is advertising and selling this LG for $199 on Thanksgiving Day and Friday after.

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,

Yes, I saw it the other day. You could have knocked me over with a feather. Sears usually asks more than $320.00.

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #71   Nov 26, 2010 7:40 am
Venson wrote:
Hi Carmine,

Yes, I saw it the other day. You could have knocked me over with a feather. Sears usually asks more than $320.00.

Venson

Hi Venson:

Then SEARS sellng new DC14 for $219, a 50 percent discount, must have knocked you out!

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #72   Nov 26, 2010 8:41 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hi Venson:

Then SEARS sellng new DC14 for $219, a 50 percent discount, must have knocked you out!

Carmine D.

Hiya,

Hiya,

You bet it astounds me. I still can't get my head around why Sears just doesn't adjust its everyday prices to more attractive levels. However in regard to the DC14, maybe they are merely trying to deplete their stock for that model? They're carrying the DC28 and other more current standard and ball models.

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #73   Nov 26, 2010 8:56 am
Venson wrote:
Hiya,

Hiya,

You bet it astounds me. I still can't get my head around why Sears just doesn't adjust its everyday prices to more attractive levels. However in regard to the DC14, maybe they are merely trying to deplete their stock for that model? They're carrying the DC28 and other more current standard and ball models.

Venson

Hi Venson:

Yes indeed.  Lowes selling dysons at 30 percent off of MSRP.  Bed Bath and Beyond at 25 percent off.  DC24 at $ $299.  DC25 Animal $399.  DC28 $449.  If I recall correctly so is Target at 35 percent off.  How low can they go!

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #74   Dec 3, 2010 8:40 am
Carmine, et al, You're gonna love this. Madison Avenue big gun Young & Rubicam has picked up the gauntlet on behalf of the LG Kompressor vacs. http://www.adweek.com/aw/creative/ad-of-the-day/article_display.jsp?creativeId=274770 Venson
CarmineD

Reply #75   Dec 3, 2010 8:49 am
Venson wrote:
Carmine, et al, You're gonna love this. Madison Avenue big gun Young & Rubicam has picked up the gauntlet on behalf of the LG Kompressor vacs. http://www.adweek.com/aw/creative/ad-of-the-day/article_display.jsp?creativeId=274770 Venson

I luv it!  Beats the king size bed bugs one bagless maker use to use years ago.  My 4 grand daughters will enjoy this video too.

BTW, I note that most big box retailers are selling the LG 300-B for $350 before discounts.  A decent price.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #76   Dec 20, 2010 9:21 pm
LG Web Site is updated with all 3 uprights: 200, 300 and 400. 

http://www.lg.com/us/vacuum/index.jsp?s_kwcid=TC|14107|vacuum%20ratings|www.abbysguide.com|C|b|7115294384

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #77   Jan 24, 2011 8:33 am
BEST BUY stores is advertising and selling the LG 200 upright [with auto cord rewind] on sale this week for $250.  A $50 savings from MSRP.

Carmine D.

Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #78   Jan 24, 2011 11:17 am
To anyone who has used the LG vacuum, how does it compare to Dyson products?  Is it a good copy or is it a clunker?  

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Venson

Reply #79   Jan 24, 2011 12:17 pm
Severus wrote:
To anyone who has used the LG vacuum, how does it compare to Dyson products?  Is it a good copy or is it a clunker?  

Hi Severus,

There's no copying going on. I actually have both the LuV200 and LuV300 in my possession. The high-end LuV400 is basically the same cleaner but has a couple more bells and whistles plus more attachments.

I feel the best in show is the LuV300 which has a decent attachment set-up though it sacrifices a cordwinder that offers 30 feet of cord for a 40-foot cord that you must rewind by hand. As I'm pleased at not having to worry over spots where I can plug in every 20 feet or so of travel, to me that's no big deal though it may be a tragedy to some.

The LG vertical cyclonic system is blessedly simpler and easy to maintain. A foam pre-filter is at the frontlines and, as long as the cylonics are not compromised does a good job. LG suggests that it be checked every three months and rinsed out under plain, cool tap water if need be. LG also supplies two with each machine so should one need cleaning a fresh one can be used in its place. The HEPA is the same -- just pop it out rinse it out under the tap and put it back when dry.

The cleaners weigh 22 pounds but feel less flimsy that most of the Dysons I've tried and best of all they clean well. The "300" model incorporates its hose handle, wand and turbo tool for guiding and steering the machine for upright use. The parts come off the machine with just the press of a button and you're good to go above the floor.

Suction is quite impressive and as always I'm in the process of discovering how mean you can be to this cleaner. Thus far I've been pleasantly surprised. I'd go just about anywhere with this machine and anticipate a job well done.

As for value, the only Dyson comparable to it would be the DC28 that lists at 600 bucks. However, regarding price points laid against features offered (two speeds, height adjustment, remote switch, more convenient attachment use), as far as I'm concerned the LG LuV300 leave's Uncle Jimmy's DC28 -- pardon the pun -- in the dust.

Best,

Venson
This message was modified Jan 24, 2011 by Venson
Replies: 1 - 79 of 79View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42