Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
catlady

Miele Red Star
Original Message   May 21, 2010 10:22 am
It's been a while since I've been on Abby's Guide.  I wanted some opinions.  I found a Miele Red Star on Craigslist for $15.00.  I felt like I couldn't get their fast enough to snag it up.  The cover over the bag was damaged so I dropped it off at my local Vac Shop for a replacement.  The cost will be around $120.00.  The Vac Shop guys said that other than the damaged cover this Red Star is in excellent condition and even the power brush looks brand new.  It came from a pet free home so it will definitely be put to the test in my home. 

Was this a good find and is it worth the $120.00 to fix it?  Even though the Red Star is an older model is it one of their good ones?  Any thoughts on how it will hold up to lots of pet hair?  My S7 still works great, but sadly it has gotten that "pet odor" even with the HEPA filter.  Ugh.

Thanks.

Melanie

Replies: 3 - 12 of 21Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
catlady

Re: Miele Red Star
Reply #3   May 21, 2010 4:05 pm
Just got a call from the Vac Shop.  The Red Star is all fixed up and ready to be picked up.  The total cost with a box of bags is $198.59! Ouch.  Apparently it needed a couple of extra small parts to properly fix it.  But it sounds like it will be worth it to have two excellent vacuums in the home.

Thanks for the feedback on how to control odors in the vacuums. I will replace the HEPA's with the charcoal filters as soon as I have the extra money.  I was only planning on spending $120.00 to fix up the Red Star so hopefully I will be able to replace the filters in a couple of pays.  Never thought to try Borax to help control odors.  I can give that a shot too.

Melanie

Venson

Reply #4   May 21, 2010 4:38 pm
catlady wrote:
Just got a call from the Vac Shop.  The Red Star is all fixed up and ready to be picked up.  The total cost with a box of bags is $198.59! Ouch.  Apparently it needed a couple of extra small parts to properly fix it.  But it sounds like it will be worth it to have two excellent vacuums in the home.

Thanks for the feedback on how to control odors in the vacuums. I will replace the HEPA's with the charcoal filters as soon as I have the extra money.  I was only planning on spending $120.00 to fix up the Red Star so hopefully I will be able to replace the filters in a couple of pays.  Never thought to try Borax to help control odors.  I can give that a shot too.

Melanie

Hi again Melanie,

I'm glad it's worked out.

Venson

retardturtle1

Reply #5   May 21, 2010 5:40 pm
Venson wrote:
Hey Melanie,

How are you?  Well, in all my days of shopping I never landed a Miele-anything for 15 bucks. Pat yourself on the back.  I don't know how you did it but you've done absolutely great.  Regarding pricing on parts. etc., Miele's been on the high side and always will be.  If all that's needed is a new cover go for it.  You have two good machines instead of just one.  You and your husband, each armed with your own, machine can can get the house done in half the time I'd think.

However, as regards the S7 which is working well . . . ask the guys working on the Red Star to give you a break on the cost of a replacement filter for your S7.  The HEPA is mainly for fine dust capture.  You want the Active Air Clean Filter with the carbon for absorbing odors.  It lists at about $37.00 and Miele claims it has a life of 50 hours or 12 months. 

That accomplished, also check out your local supermarket for borax.  Put a fresh bag in the cleaner and suck up about a tablespoon of it and see if that helps to lessen the odor problem.  OR -- if you can find moth crystals, try just a teaspoon or two in a fresh bag. 

Please be advised that no matter whether you use the Red Star or the S7, this problem will continue and will cost something one way or another to keep it under control. 

Best of luck with your animals.  They make it worth the fuss I'm sure.

Best,

Venson

Have tried the borax-bkg soda....never the crystals....of the 3  whats the the better product at keeping those strong pet smells at bay. or do they each have their own strong points over the other.

turtle

vacmanuk

Reply #6   May 21, 2010 6:00 pm
I use soda crystals - they keep the neutral smells out better than Borax which has bleach in it. HOWEVER if Miele vacuum (or even SEBO) stinks of pet hair smells, its time to clean the pipes and hose.
Venson

Reply #7   May 21, 2010 6:20 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:
Have tried the borax-bkg soda....never the crystals....of the 3  whats the the better product at keeping those strong pet smells at bay. or do they each have their own strong points over the other.

turtle

Hiya turtle,

It's not so much what's the better thing.  They each will help and help far better than more fancy stuff.  Vac shops in my area carry a tablet that you can drop in the bag but they have a heavy odor that reminds me of every funeral parlor I've had occasion to visit.  However, some people may not like the smell of moth crystals even though due to the small amount used there should be no strong aroma from the cleaner's exhaust.  Personally,  I like borax best.  It has a pleasant but not overpowering scent.

In any event, moth crystals may not be all that easy to come across these days.  The world has changed.  I remember when most well known vacuums came with demothing attachments and readily available crystals.  Kirby, Filter Queen, Royal and Electrolux long abandoned them.

Also a lot has do with other factors.  Melanie, I'm proud to say, does animal rescue and has many cats and dogs about the house.  That's a different story from just having to deal with a single pet.

Venson

retardturtle1

Reply #8   May 21, 2010 7:00 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
I use soda crystals - they keep the neutral smells out better than Borax which has bleach in it. HOWEVER if Miele vacuum (or even SEBO) stinks of pet hair smells, its time to clean the pipes and hose.

Thanks..ill try to track some down at lowes...worth a shot.

turtle

retardturtle1

Reply #9   May 21, 2010 7:24 pm
Venson wrote:
Hiya turtle,

It's not so much what's the better thing.  They each will help and help far better than more fancy stuff.  Vac shops in my area carry a tablet that you can drop in the bag but they have a heavy odor that reminds me of every funeral parlor I've had occasion to visit.  However, some people may not like the smell of moth crystals even though due to the small amount used there should be no strong aroma from the cleaner's exhaust.  Personally,  I like borax best.  It has a pleasant but not overpowering scent.

In any event, moth crystals may not be all that easy to come across these days.  The world has changed.  I remember when most well known vacuums came with demothing attachments and readily available crystals.  Kirby, Filter Queen, Royal and Electrolux long abandoned them.

Also a lot has do with other factors.  Melanie, I'm proud to say, does animal rescue and has many cats and dogs about the house.  That's a different story from just having to deal with a single pet.

Venson

Hi Venson

Ive seen that drop in tab...dont like it either. Never seen the crystals....but couldnt you just crush up a single moth ball  and vac up?

Will go to lowes and see what i find.....just to see...and yes a vacuum from a shelter/rescue home is a whole different level of use....this ive learned first hand from all the vacs ive serviced from the county shelter....but will say that most of them are bagless and on their last leg in under a year....so it seems as if the s7 she has is quite the high quality vacuum.....high end top quality...if the canister is as good as the s7 then she got a great deal and find.

So how does the miele and sebos compare to the riccars in terms of quality and power/performance on both ups and cans...as i have limited knowledge of the first 2....and does the radiance compare well to the s7? 

turtle

CarmineD

Reply #10   May 21, 2010 7:45 pm
Hello Catlady:

How many 4 legged furry friends are you making your home for these days? 

Carmine D.

catlady

Reply #11   May 21, 2010 8:16 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Catlady:

How many 4 legged furry friends are you making your home for these days? 

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine. I still have my 4 dogs. They are all getting older and one is showing signs of liver failure in her senior profile blood work, but otherwise is still doing well. I was up to 17 cats, but luckily I had some adoptions (even a five year rescued cat!) and am down to 13 right now. I would like 3 more to be adopted, but I'm finding it hard to find homes for the solid black cats. Thanks for asking. Melanie
catlady

Reply #12   May 21, 2010 8:17 pm
vacmanuk wrote:

Is that something I can do myself? Melanie
Replies: 3 - 12 of 21Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42