Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > want to buy an "older" Electrolux canister, which one??

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
motherchic

want to buy an "older" Electrolux canister, which one??
Original Message   Apr 19, 2010 11:42 pm
I want to purchase an Electrolux canister vacuum.
I would like to buy a reconditioned one , as I keep hearing that the older versions are made better.
Which one??? ( very confused. ) or is there a new version that is good?
Ambassador? Silvarado? Olympia?or ??????
If I buy either in town or thru an on-line source. Which would you suggest? As best?
I would appreciate any advice
Many thanks
Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
hooverman

Re: want to buy an "older" Electrolux canister, which one??
Reply #1   Apr 20, 2010 12:54 am
Any Electrolux from the 1205 thru the Lux Classic (Aerus) they're all good; but the Guardian/Rennaisance/Epic 8000/9000 is problem-prone because of the electronic controls on the hose handle.
motherchic

Reply #2   Apr 20, 2010 10:12 am
Is there anywhere, or a list to find that tells the name and order that they were made? Also is there a mark on the vacuums that can allow me to know which one I am looking at?
I see some on e-bay. But I dont know good price from bad price.
Did I also not read that when Electrolux was sold that the machines were for a long time considered junky> But that one has been made like the original? If so which one?
Would I be better off ( meaning a better all around vac) buying that one? ( whichever one it is ) or a vintage one and finding and paying for added parts?
I am sorry for asking so many questions. I looked for hours on google and though I am sure it is there I just couldnt find the info I was looking for.
I was on Craigslist, I was interested in this one. But the seller does not know anything about it. He said it works and has the power head. No other attachments.  http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/hsh/1666131050.html
Any help and advise is appreciated. I have laughed that I have spent more time researching a vac then my car. And still having a difficult time.
I see Dysons mentioned here allot as well as Miehlis ( pardon the spelling ) Now both of those I read are allot of plastic and arent worth the money. I have owned several vacs. I feel they dont hold up well. Parts break, especially where they attach to the hose. The hoses dont turn well, so they kink, etc... I am willing to spend up to $800 if I have to, but I would like a vac that does its best to outlive me. And I hope I have several decades left :)
Thank you for your time and expertise
Venson

Reply #3   Apr 20, 2010 12:43 pm
motherchic wrote:
Is there anywhere, or a list to find that tells the name and order that they were made? Also is there a mark on the vacuums that can allow me to know which one I am looking at?
I see some on e-bay. But I dont know good price from bad price.
Did I also not read that when Electrolux was sold that the machines were for a long time considered junky> But that one has been made like the original? If so which one?
Would I be better off ( meaning a better all around vac) buying that one? ( whichever one it is ) or a vintage one and finding and paying for added parts?
I am sorry for asking so many questions. I looked for hours on google and though I am sure it is there I just couldnt find the info I was looking for.
I was on Craigslist, I was interested in this one. But the seller does not know anything about it. He said it works and has the power head. No other attachments.  http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/hsh/1666131050.html
Any help and advise is appreciated. I have laughed that I have spent more time researching a vac then my car. And still having a difficult time.
I see Dysons mentioned here allot as well as Miehlis ( pardon the spelling ) Now both of those I read are allot of plastic and arent worth the money. I have owned several vacs. I feel they dont hold up well. Parts break, especially where they attach to the hose. The hoses dont turn well, so they kink, etc... I am willing to spend up to $800 if I have to, but I would like a vac that does its best to outlive me. And I hope I have several decades left :)
Thank you for your time and expertise

Hi motherchic,

I'll cut to the chase.  First of all, there is no such thing as best.  "Best" is the vacuum you personally find you like to work with.  What I'd suggest as you're apparently unsure of how to go about making a choice is that you ask a freind, relative or neighbor for the name and address of a reliable vac shop. I'd asumed that you mentioned used Electroluxes begause you possibly had budget concerns.  However, if you are willing to go as far as 800 bucks, go to an independent vac shop.  Ask to be shown both new and used vacuums. 

Jump right in and try the ones you think you'll like and be sure to write down brand names and model numbers.  Check for noise levels, how user friendly you find each as well as for performance.  When you've narrowed things down -- if you like the vendor you encounter ask for "best" prices. Also ask about maintenance costs which involve the yearly cost for replacement of filters, bags (if needed).   Check out length of warranty and the store's return policy should yoou find yourself dissatisfied. If you do not find the vendor you met to your particular liking since you will have noted brands and models check out another store.

As for eBay, bottom line, always check vendor feedback.  Best to deal with are those that have a high number of sales and very low or no negative feedback.  They should ready to answer your questions as well.

My last thought on this is to remind you that -- whatever you buy from wherever -- even the "best" of vacuum don't survive neglect or abuse well.  The better care they're given, the longer they last and perform optimally.  If your lifestyle doesn't allow for that, I wouldn't suggest spending a lot on a new machine but maybe looking at a good relatively durable used machine at a decent price. 

Hope that helps,

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #4   Apr 20, 2010 1:08 pm
Hello motherchic:

If you visit an authorized Electolux, now called Aerus, dealer you will likely see displayed on the wall a picture chart of all the Electrolux, now Aerus models, from the first Model V in 1924 to the most current new models with model names and years of market sales.  It is not uncommon to see a 20 year old (or older) Electrolux vacuum picking up dirt like new.  On a similar note, MIELE vacuums typically sell with the claim that the vacuums will last 20 years [and then some].  It's a valid claim IF you take care of your household appliances.

If you are a vacuum novice, buying on-line is risky.  A vacuum store with a good rep and quality brand vacuums is the best place to buy.  With your budget of $800, you can find vacuums that are the best of the best on today's market at most independent vacuum stores nationwide.

The current brand Electrolux is actually the same company as EUREKA and sold primarily through big box retailers and some independent vacuum stores too.  If you are interested in one of the EUREKA-luxes, not the same as Aerus and Electrolux of old, you have to shop the models very carefully.  There are good ones and then there are better ones on the market.  The latter will be found at your local vacuum cleaner stores.  You're not making a one time vacuum purchase, you are entering into a business relationship.  Spend the time before you spend the money.  You'll be glad and satisfied that you did.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Apr 20, 2010 by CarmineD
motherchic

Reply #5   Apr 20, 2010 5:58 pm
Thank you for your honest answer. I was just hoping for an easier route. I have been to 3 independent dealers and have had NO luck. No used models of Electrolux at all. All 3 dealers told me , quote "since Eureka has bought them they are $#%*".
I take very good care of everything I own yet my vacuums have not been good. So that is why I was considering e-bay etc... since the private dealers have had none. I was hoping someone could tell me purchase "type A or type Z"
Spent hours trying to read google reports on "reviews of Electrolux" Could not find any. This blog was the closest I came.......
Again thank you for your time
CarmineD

Reply #6   Apr 20, 2010 8:02 pm
EUREKA didn't buy Electrolux.  EUREKA bought the name Electrolux ONLY.  What was the "old" Electrolux [in form and content] is now called Aerus.  What is the "new" Electrolux in name is really EUREKA [in form and content].  Hence my own coined name of EUREKA-lux.  Lux use to be the shortened form for Electrolux back in the day when I was in the business.

Hope that clarifies for you.  If you are insistent on an old Electrolux, try a local Aerus dealer.  You may be more succcessful than the independent vacuum stores.

Carmine D.

procare

Reply #7   Apr 21, 2010 12:02 am
Carmine,

To set the record straight about Electrolux. Electrolux AB the owner of Eureka wanted to get it's Trademark name back so it could use it on it's appliances in the U.S. and Canada. In 1968 Electrolux AB who owned a share of the U.S. Electrolux sold the Trademark and all patents and everything else in the U.S. and Canada to Consolidated Foods Corp. later changed their name to Sara Lee.  They (Electrolux AB ) wanted to buy the Electrolux cleaner line back in 1970 and was turned down. They then bought Eureka.

When the people that bought the Electrolux  Company from Sara Lee  ,things changed in the way things were done at Electrolux. Products were priority and improvement for sales staff. Electrolux AB approached Electrolux USA (Aerus) to buy the Trademark back. Some deals that are confidential were made. None involving being bought out buy Electrolux AB of Sweden. Electrolux Name remained on the cleaners until 2003. All products carry the LUX Trademark and sold in North America are Aerus.  

The Aerus brand is not as restricted now as to where they can be sold. In the past Electrolux was restricted to where it was sold . USA and Canada.

I had heard from different people that the  Electrolux USA was bought by   Eureka .As I have said Electrolux AB of Sweden owns Eureka, Fridgidaire, Husqvarna, Weedeater, and several other companies in the U.S.

Aerus products are good products. Anyone that calls the past product junky have not been there when the few problems occurred and saw what was done to correct the problems. In reply to Hooverman the Renny was the only new machine that I saw a problem in the handle controls. They have been fixed since. I have a Guardian or should I say my wife does that is  9 years old and hasn't had a problem.  The Epic 8000 was the first cleaner under new management to address the handle problem and my customers are happy with their cleaners.

Procare

CarmineD

Reply #8   Apr 21, 2010 7:02 am
Hello Procare:

Thank you for the explanation with clarifications.

Carmine D.

Hertz

Reply #9   Apr 24, 2010 1:58 pm
This dude is seems AMAZING for buying used Lux's.  I have talked to him on the phone before and he's professional and knows what he's talking about.

Makes them like-new and you can  buy damn near any model since the beginning.

Check it:  http://www.vacuumman.com/canister.html
Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42