Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > New vacuum test coming . . .

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Venson

New vacuum test coming . . .
Original Message   Apr 15, 2010 2:30 pm
Last week "Which" magazine announced upcoming tests of the new AEG-Electrolux Ultra vacuum series.  The "Ultra-Silencer" model in the series is being advertised as the quietest vacuum in the world due to the 68db it emits while in operation.  Wonder if it will appear in the U.S.

http://www.which.co.uk/news/2010/04/worlds-quietest-vacuum-cleaner-launched-210688

Venson

Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Re: New vacuum test coming . . .
Reply #1   Apr 15, 2010 3:14 pm
How does that noise level compare to that of a central vacuum? 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Venson

Reply #2   Apr 15, 2010 3:46 pm
Severus wrote:
How does that noise level compare to that of a central vacuum? 

Hi Severus,

Back in the day people weren't concerned as much over central vac noise levels since they were intended to be installed out of the general vicinity of a home's residents.  Maybe the basement, an attic or, ideally an attached garage -- at least for those living the American dream.  They are now making bagged and bagless low-noise central vacs meant for use in situations where a home or apartment's residents must be near the point of installation.

Because you asked, I did a quick check and came across central vac decibel specs claimed to be as low as 62db during operation.  Many suppliers also sell mufflers as add-ons but I cannot say to what degree they reduce noise output or if they inhibit air flow.  CR strongly suggests that central vac systems be bought on facts, not hype, leaving convenience to justify cost regarding purchase decisions.

On the other hand, the level of noise a canister or upright vacuum puts out is probably of more importance because you work with them close at your side.

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #3   Apr 16, 2010 6:49 am
Looks like more noise friendly vacuums are making progress on both sides of the pond with Consumer Reports and Which?  EUREKA-LUX has the market so far, tho I think ORECK's dutch tech canister paved the way years ago.

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #4   Apr 16, 2010 7:57 am
CarmineD wrote:
Looks like more noise friendly vacuums are making progress on both sides of the pond with Consumer Reports and Which?  EUREKA-LUX has the market so far, tho I think ORECK's dutch tech canister paved the way years ago.

Carmine D.

They're all trying to copy the Germans and the Dutch - the Oreck Dutch Tech was originally a Philips model made in Holland. Sebo's K series has decibel levels of 63 dbl to 65 dbl depending on the models (1800 watt to the newer 2100 watt models) and they're easily 7 years old.
This message was modified Apr 16, 2010 by vacmanuk
Venson

Reply #5   Apr 16, 2010 11:10 am
vacmanuk wrote:
They're all trying to copy the Germans and the Dutch - the Oreck Dutch Tech was originally a Philips model made in Holland. Sebo's K series has decibel levels of 63 dbl to 65 dbl depending on the models (1800 watt to the newer 2100 watt models) and they're easily 7 years old.

Hi vacmanuk,

Do you feel the AEG-Lux claim is valid or significant in nature?

Venson

This message was modified Apr 16, 2010 by Venson
vacmanuk

Reply #6   Apr 16, 2010 11:21 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi vacmanuk,

Do you feel the AEG-Lux claim is valid or significant in nature?

Venson

Venson - on both accounts I can't answer that question without actually using/testing the vacuum cleaner and whilst it is great that a claim of being the quietest may be heavily pressed by Electrolux, is it the same when a smaller cleaning tool is attached?  Granted it is a new vacuum cleaner and so many brands are fighting to try and gain top spot for something these days. It was only a couple of months ago that SAMSUNG had a similar cyclonic bagless cylinder claiming to be the quietest.

Generally I wouldn't find myself detracting my money on Electrolux products because most of their cylinders/canisters aren't as durable as SEBO or MIELE. I do like Electrolux products having grown up with both this brand and Hoover but its early days and Electrolux are badly trying to muscle in on the Miele/Sebo market. Whether it is significant, I don't know- Electrolux Europe are badly trying to compete with the Germans in so many ways. They're trying to cover the wool over buyers eyes with their AEG brand suggesting that just because it is German by default name and origin, then the expectations set by Miele and Sebo can be assumed to be the same. I've had AEG products before and most of them are made in China despite the German cache. Our last major appliance was an AEG oven and it only lasted a year to replace our 15 year old Bosch oven. No comparison - the AEG promised to heat to high degrees of temperatures but kept cutting out and the control panel was one of the worst designed so far with some of the controls coming off!

I do feel however that Electrolux's claim is significant in terms of promoting Electrolux - the brand in Europe are trying to shake off their cheaply built image by dressing everything in white and giving buyers low motor power for eco saving. However most if not all of their floorcare is exclusively built in China and even the high end products in the UK still aren't as durable or as well thought out against Miele/Sebo. Some of their models have locking pipes, some don't and this is an error in my book if you want universality or commonality for vacuums. In the UK specifically Hoover and Electrolux have been known to fit high end priced vacuums with locking pipes. This is a problem that Bosch are also trying to address with their new series of vacuums, but in Bosch's case (and Siemens) the fact that paper bags and filters aren't available everywhere is a major problem for this brand and secondly, their hoses, pipes and floor heads are all friction fit, which in my mind isn't terribly reliable against pip lock fittings on both Miele and Sebo. The cyclonic versions of Bosch aren't as well thought out and like most clog badly.
This message was modified Apr 16, 2010 by vacmanuk
Venson

Reply #7   Apr 17, 2010 12:57 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Venson - on both accounts I can't answer that question without actually using/testing the vacuum cleaner and whilst it is great that a claim of being the quietest may be heavily pressed by Electrolux, is it the same when a smaller cleaning tool is attached?  Granted it is a new vacuum cleaner and so many brands are fighting to try and gain top spot for something these days. It was only a couple of months ago that SAMSUNG had a similar cyclonic bagless cylinder claiming to be the quietest.

Generally I wouldn't find myself detracting my money on Electrolux products because most of their cylinders/canisters aren't as durable as SEBO or MIELE. I do like Electrolux products having grown up with both this brand and Hoover but its early days and Electrolux are badly trying to muscle in on the Miele/Sebo market. Whether it is significant, I don't know- Electrolux Europe are badly trying to compete with the Germans in so many ways. They're trying to cover the wool over buyers eyes with their AEG brand suggesting that just because it is German by default name and origin, then the expectations set by Miele and Sebo can be assumed to be the same. I've had AEG products before and most of them are made in China despite the German cache. Our last major appliance was an AEG oven and it only lasted a year to replace our 15 year old Bosch oven. No comparison - the AEG promised to heat to high degrees of temperatures but kept cutting out and the control panel was one of the worst designed so far with some of the controls coming off!

I do feel however that Electrolux's claim is significant in terms of promoting Electrolux - the brand in Europe are trying to shake off their cheaply built image by dressing everything in white and giving buyers low motor power for eco saving. However most if not all of their floorcare is exclusively built in China and even the high end products in the UK still aren't as durable or as well thought out against Miele/Sebo. Some of their models have locking pipes, some don't and this is an error in my book if you want universality or commonality for vacuums. In the UK specifically Hoover and Electrolux have been known to fit high end priced vacuums with locking pipes. This is a problem that Bosch are also trying to address with their new series of vacuums, but in Bosch's case (and Siemens) the fact that paper bags and filters aren't available everywhere is a major problem for this brand and secondly, their hoses, pipes and floor heads are all friction fit, which in my mind isn't terribly reliable against pip lock fittings on both Miele and Sebo. The cyclonic versions of Bosch aren't as well thought out and like most clog badly.

Hi vacmanuk,

Since their arrival in the U.S., Electrolux goods, especially their large appliances, have been put forth at premium prices.  The same as Miele and Bosch.  The dumbed-down public, including myself, get the first impression that, "Gee, this really must be something!  Look how much it costs."  We don't learn the lesson of how sometimes special isn't always all that special until we see the same items fallen to two-thirds their original price within  five or six months.

I would say that vacuum brands that offer more than one model have always held back on features in regard to price range.  The "economy model" always comes with less than the "deluxe."  To date Kirby a heavy hitter pricewise ($1,600 or more) has yet to see fit to offer standard attachment locking mechanisms other than for hose connection.  Rainbow was also a friction-fit hold out for a good while as well. On the other hand, Hoover, a provider of easily affordable vacuums has abandoned the locks for wands and attachments it provided for many years on most of its models.

As for quiet, what I'm finding now is that my power nozzle probably makes more noise than the actual vacuum does.  I don't think that can be changed as the noise produced by the brushroll in action is a necessary consequence. As well, the PN motor is relative quiet and overall noise does not elevate to the degree of irritating.

Venson

vacmanuk

Reply #8   Apr 17, 2010 3:04 pm
The only PN floorheads I've used are Sebo - their older ET H is heavier than the newer ET 1 but is also quieter. As for turbo brushes - Miele's larger STB 205 turbo brush on the cat and dog models are very loud compared to Sebo's similarly designed one. Vacuum cleaner brands can make their machines quieter but whether they can be bothered to do it and then NOT charge the earth for it, is another matter entirely.
This message was modified Apr 17, 2010 by vacmanuk
Venson

Reply #9   Apr 17, 2010 4:23 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
. . .  Vacuum cleaner brands can make their machines quieter but whether they can be bothered to do it and then NOT charge the earth for it, is another matter entirely.

"But it takes a lot to bring you quality . . ."  That still appears to be the story they're sticking to vacmanuk. 

Everybody keep it mind the next time you're being sold a vacuum that runs for the price of a used car.

Venson

Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42