Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
hooverman

Filter Queen
Original Message   Mar 15, 2010 11:39 pm
I love my Filter Queen vacs so far; but want to know if the 360 style tools are good/bad or the old style tools are better?  Mine are the brown & salmon mdls (salmon one is suction-only; brown one has Mdl 88 Power Nozzle)

this is my mdl 31 Filterqueen

This message was modified Mar 21, 2010 by hooverman
Replies: 2 - 11 of 47Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Filter Queen
Reply #2   Mar 23, 2010 7:24 am
hooverman wrote:
how do I get that perfume/puke scent out of this vac?  I don't want to trash this vac b/c its a vintage.

Ah yes the bagless vacuum question for the centuries.  And still today too.  Got a call last week from a youngin with one of those high price import box store bagless uprights for $600.  It's about 4 years old.  She says the "darn" vacuum smells like her big old dog and whenever she uses it in any room, even the baby's nursery, the air in the room smells like the dog.  Isn't bagless beautiful?

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #3   Mar 23, 2010 7:58 am
CarmineD wrote:
Ah yes the bagless vacuum question for the centuries.  And still today too.  Got a call last week from a youngin with one of those high price import box store bagless uprights for $600.  It's about 4 years old.  She says the "darn" vacuum smells like her big old dog and whenever she uses it in any room, even the baby's nursery, the air in the room smells like the dog.  Isn't bagless beautiful?

Carmine D.

Most likely the vacuum is just blowing the existing scent that is imbedded in the carpet, drapes, etc.  The pooch must stink.  Either wash him or put him outside.  Problem solved.

CarmineD

Reply #4   Mar 23, 2010 8:50 am
HARDSELL wrote:
Most likely the vacuum is just blowing the existing scent that is imbedded in the carpet, drapes, etc.  The pooch must stink.  Either wash him or put him outside.  Problem solved.

HS, nice try.  But glib answers don't solve the question for the century.  It's the bagless vacuum that stinks ALL THE TIME.  Why? There is no easy way for users to clean and sanitize the bagless to prevent it from holding and giving off pet odors during use.  Once imbedded in the vacuum, you can't get rid of it.  It's not the dog that stinks all the time.  She gets groomed on a regular basis by a door- to-door pet groomer.  The dog never goes into the baby's nursery on the 2nd floor.  But the vacuum does. The dog stays on the first floor always.  If the dog makes it up the steps, there's a locked children's proof gate to prevent the dog from accessing all the rooms on the second floor.  Including the baby's room

Carmine D.

This message was modified Mar 23, 2010 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #5   Mar 23, 2010 8:55 am
CarmineD wrote:
HS, nice try.  But glib answers don't solve the question for the century.  It's the bagless vacuum that stinks ALL THE TIME.  Why? There is no easy way for users to clean and sanitize the bagless to prevent it from holding and giving off pet odors during use.  Once imbedded in the vacuum, you can't get rid of it.  It's not the dog that stinks all the time.  She gets groomed on a regular basis by a door- to-door pet groomer.  The dog never goes into the baby's nursery on the 2nd floor.  But the vacuum does. The dog stays on the first floor always.  If the dog makes it up the steps, there's a locked children's proof gate to prevent the dog from accessing all the rooms on the second floor.  Including the baby's room

Carmine D.

Are you saying to use a bagged vac and change the bag after each use?  Otherwise the semll remains in the old bag and odors will be omitted as with a bagless.
CarmineD

Reply #6   Mar 23, 2010 9:18 am
HARDSELL wrote:
Are you saying to use a bagged vac and change the bag after each use?  Otherwise the semll remains in the old bag and odors will be omitted as with a bagless.

HS:

Bagged vacuums are easier for their users [especially with household pets] to keep clean and odor free.  Bagless vacuums over time get infiltrated with and maintain pet dander and its smells.  Even with just 4 years of usage.  The high-priced big box store bagless is still under warranty as I'm told and smells like a "darn" dog.  The dog gets groomed frequently.  A bagged vacuum gets a new bag monthly.  A bagless gets and stores the odors forever.  The more users try to disguise/veil the smells, the worse the odors get.  Like manure.  Stack it in one place and it smells.  Bagged vacuum: Change the bag and good as new.  Bagless?  Stuck with smell even under warranty.

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #7   Mar 23, 2010 4:10 pm
Carmine - I've found with second hand / reconditioned bagged AND bagless vacs that have been owned by Pet owners also fail to clean out the hoses and those are the worst for stinking of old dogs
CarmineD

Reply #8   Mar 23, 2010 4:44 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Carmine - I've found with second hand / reconditioned bagged AND bagless vacs that have been owned by Pet owners also fail to clean out the hoses and those are the worst for stinking of old dogs

I suspect those reconditioned bagged models were not under warranty like this high priced bagless.  Back in the day, cloth bags retained odors in vacuums much like the bagless of today.  A reason in part for the paper bags replacing the cloth.  Sadly, Sir James Dyson missed this cloth bag era of the vacuum industry or overlooked it in designing and selling his own bagless brand.

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #9   Mar 23, 2010 9:40 pm
Not entirely. In the UK where reconditioned means a new motor and some new fixings, a 6 month guarantee against defects is honoured with each product sold. However I've had many a debate with EBay sellers who don't like to refund if the actual vacuum has been used to clean out pet hair and won't change the hose as it may be more expensive than the cost price of the whole vacuum they are selling.

The only exception to this is where private buyers and sellers are selling their own vacuum cleaner.
HARDSELL

Reply #10   Mar 23, 2010 9:49 pm
CarmineD wrote:
I suspect those reconditioned bagged models were not under warranty like this high priced bagless.  Back in the day, cloth bags retained odors in vacuums much like the bagless of today.  A reason in part for the paper bags replacing the cloth.  Sadly, Sir James Dyson missed this cloth bag era of the vacuum industry or overlooked it in designing and selling his own bagless brand.

Carmine D.

I can't think of a vac warranty that covers odors.  Me thinks that you BS is smelling as much as any vac.
CarmineD

Reply #11   Mar 24, 2010 7:28 am
vacmanuk wrote:
Not entirely. In the UK where reconditioned means a new motor and some new fixings, a 6 month guarantee against defects is honoured with each product sold. However I've had many a debate with EBay sellers who don't like to refund if the actual vacuum has been used to clean out pet hair and won't change the hose as it may be more expensive than the cost price of the whole vacuum they are selling.

The only exception to this is where private buyers and sellers are selling their own vacuum cleaner.

I'm referring to new vacuum warranty periods by the original manufacturer and odors even with following manufacturer's instructions.  Pet owners should be irate to pay $600 for a high priced bagless and after 4 years haver a pet odor that permeates the vacuum and the house when in use.  The house is the same age as the vacuum.  I doubt replacing the hose with a new one on this bagless will eliminate the pet odor. [Tho it probably would in most bagged models].   I also doubt the retailer/manufcaturer will make this offer to the customer.  Sadly, the filter maintenance on this bagless is the original lifetime filter warranty with 6-9 month cleaning [2002-2007] schedule initially promulgated by the high priced bagless.  Not the 2-3 month schedule that was later prescribed by the bagless manufacturer [2007-now].  While the later short schedule may eliminate/reduce the pet odors during the manufacturers' 5 year warranty period, and may be a reason for the filetr cleaning change, I'd bet he odor is problematic after the warranty period.  The difference is that the retailer/manufacturer can put the onous solely on the owner after the warranty period and recuse themselves from any warranty coverage.

Carmine D.  

Replies: 2 - 11 of 47Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42