Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Hoover Floor-A-Matic

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
hooverman

Hoover Floor-A-Matic
Original Message   Mar 18, 2010 6:32 pm
The solution tank leaks when I put it on; is the seal worn?

What is this orange thing for?  Is it a suds shield or tray of some sort?

[Dec04_0005.jpg]

Where can I find a manual for a Floor-A-Matic?  Hoover don't seem to care about these machines & they give poor service regarding older products.

This message was modified Mar 18, 2010 by hooverman
Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Hoover Floor-A-Matic
Reply #1   Mar 19, 2010 4:19 am
hooverman wrote:
CarmineD wrote:
If I recall correctly, the HOOVER  FM User Guide says not to use substitutes and may even mention Pine-sol by name. 

Carmine D.

hooverman wrote:
yes Hoover says not to use Pine-Sol but I think its safe just as long as its been diluted before putting into the clean water tank of a Floormate.  Pine-sol is what I use on my Floor-a-matic when I wash the floors.

Perhaps maybe there is a relationship between the use of Pine-sol and the leaky seals.  And perhaps maybe the reason HOOVER says don't use it.  What do you think???  Especially if at some future time your HOOVER FM develops leaky seals from use of Pine-sol.

Back in the late 50's and early 60's when HOOVER intro'ed the Rug Shampooer, the Users Manual specifically said use of then common household cleaners Vel and Dreft were allowable and recommended in its machine for rug cleaning.  They worked well too in lieu of the HOOVER rug cleaning solution.  But HOOVER's was better IMHO.

Carmine D. 

This message was modified Mar 19, 2010 by CarmineD
hooverman

Reply #2   Mar 21, 2010 10:55 pm
hooverman wrote:

What is this orange thing for?  Is it a suds shield or tray of some sort?

[Dec04_0005.jpg]

Where can I find a manual for a Floor-A-Matic?  Hoover don't seem to care about these machines & they give poor service regarding older products.

Do I have to put that tray on the FAM's bottom when I shampoo rugs/carpet & why?  Or do I put that "tray" on the machine when I've got the FAM on the rug when its off?
hooverman

Reply #3   Mar 24, 2010 7:18 pm
Will Kirby or Lux shampoo work great with the FAM?  If I use Resolve foam spray (I do that on my rugs) do I have to wet the bristles?
hooverman

Reply #4   Apr 12, 2010 2:12 pm
CarmineD wrote:

Perhaps maybe there is a relationship between the use of Pine-sol and the leaky seals.  And perhaps maybe the reason HOOVER says don't use it.  What do you think???  Especially if at some future time your HOOVER FM develops leaky seals from use of Pine-sol.

Back in the late 50's and early 60's when HOOVER intro'ed the Rug Shampooer, the Users Manual specifically said use of then common household cleaners Vel and Dreft were allowable and recommended in its machine for rug cleaning.  They worked well too in lieu of the HOOVER rug cleaning solution.  But HOOVER's was better IMHO.

Carmine D. 

Just checked the FAM & found out that the tank is cracked where the valve is on top; it had tape there until I cleaned it out.  Will hot glue work to keep it from leaking?
CarmineD

Reply #5   Apr 12, 2010 4:56 pm
hooverman wrote:

Carmine D. 

Just checked the FAM & found out that the tank is cracked where the valve is on top; it had tape there until I cleaned it out.  Will hot glue work to keep it from leaking?

Wonder why it cracked?

Carmine D.

hooverman

Reply #6   Apr 12, 2010 5:08 pm
idk, it came that way when I got it from eBay.  Maybe the previous owner didn't take good care of the scrubber or tried to ruin it?
CarmineD

Reply #7   Apr 12, 2010 7:35 pm
hooverman wrote:
idk, it came that way when I got it from eBay.  Maybe the previous owner didn't take good care of the scrubber or tried to ruin it?

This is a common break point on these models.  It's a pressure point from the trigger line that is pulled to release cleaning solution.  You can try a fix and any other that comes to mind.  But HOOVER to my knowledge always recommended a new tank as the only definitive cure.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Apr 12, 2010 by CarmineD
Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42