Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
hooverman

Filter Queen
Original Message   Mar 15, 2010 11:39 pm
I love my Filter Queen vacs so far; but want to know if the 360 style tools are good/bad or the old style tools are better?  Mine are the brown & salmon mdls (salmon one is suction-only; brown one has Mdl 88 Power Nozzle)

this is my mdl 31 Filterqueen

This message was modified Mar 21, 2010 by hooverman
Replies: 38 - 47 of 47Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Re: Filter Queen
Reply #38   Mar 25, 2010 9:59 pm
One possible option for getting rid of the smell is to use the clean up a big box of baking soda or possibly some capture dry carpet cleaner.   Perhaps these things would absorb some/most of the odor?   

Or would it be better to "sand blast" the insides of the Dyson by picking up some sand? 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
CarmineD

Reply #39   Mar 26, 2010 6:21 am
Venson wrote:
I well understand.  I've got two Rexair Bs that I'm going to have made into table lamps one of these years.

Venson

Hi Venson:

Back in the day we vacuum pros called these Rexairs "water hydrants" for obvious reasons.  The only thing I did with them was use them as filler in my store display windows.  I still have the black and white photos somewhere around with them in the windows.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #40   Mar 26, 2010 6:25 am
Severus wrote:
One possible option for getting rid of the smell is to use the clean up a big box of baking soda or possibly some capture dry carpet cleaner.   Perhaps these things would absorb some/most of the odor?   

Or would it be better to "sand blast" the insides of the Dyson by picking up some sand? 

Someone beat you to it.  The product is made and marketed already.  I think it's called "zorb."  With a name like that it must be Greek....especially since the cost is $109.  I think the money from the sales are going to sure up the bankrupt government.  Tho CR says for the $109 a pack users are better off with using BS or sand!   Maybe HS has some thoughts on the subject.  He's a AH BS cure alls expert.

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #41   Mar 26, 2010 11:56 am
Zorb is only for carpet dirt stain removal, its a dry cleaning foam similar to the powdered form that Sebo make (Sebo DuoP.) Apart from wasting the product it wouldn't do anything to the condition of "freshening up," hoses and such like. Certainly it wouldn't stay in the "system" long enough due to the actual vacuum.
CarmineD

Reply #42   Mar 26, 2010 12:59 pm
I was bing facetious on the dyson zorb.  Tho, at $109 a pack the joke is on the buyers.  CR got this zorb one right tho much to the chagrin of dyson.  BTW, add another reason for discontinuing dyson's DC07 and 14 models.  NEVER made the CR top 10.  Not even close.  Why?  Product flaw with the wimpy brush bar.  Sub par.  I know dyson warranty doesn't say it warranties that the components will be industry standard.  In fact more like industry sub-standard.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #43   Mar 26, 2010 1:05 pm
Venson:  I'm seeing a pattern here on bagless boondoggles.  60 years ago the Rexair water hydrants.  40 years ago the FQ monster mash machines.  20 years ago dyson's forerunners to the wildly successful and world acclaimed DC 07-11-14's.  Well, on a good note the vacuum industry is spared a little while longer before another bagless vacuum hits the poor unsuspecting vacuum market.  Bagless is beautiful, yeah   yeah   yeah....

Carmine D.

This message was modified Mar 26, 2010 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #44   Mar 26, 2010 3:11 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Venson:  I'm seeing a pattern here on bagless boondoggles.  60 years ago the Rexair water hydrants.  40 years ago the FQ monster mash machines.  20 years ago dyson's forerunners to the wildly successful and world acclaimed DC 07-11-14's.  Well, on a good note the vacuum industry is spared a little while longer before another bagless vacuum hits the poor unsuspecting vacuum market.  Bagless is beautiful, yeah   yeah   yeah....

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,

Rexair and Rainbow's biggest problem is that they didn't/don't allow for spontanaity -- thing that helps user develop a liking for a specific machine.  If you're rug or floor's looking a little ratty, you can't just walk over to the closet and whip out your Rainbow and put it away again.  Not endearing, and certainly not endeariing enough to make either Rexair or Rainbow of nuch interest to the mass market.

Filter Queen is referred to as bagless and it is in the sense that dirt is not collected in a bag of any sort but replacement of a fresh filter cone was required with each emptying. You don't just dump it and walk away.  Because of the need for a fresh cellulose cone after each emptying that rates about the same to me, maintence and expense-wise as having a bagged vacuum.  The cones worked very, very well but dumping the collection bin was probably not too delightful a duty to many stay at home moms or working women, the predominant users of vacuums since back in the day.  The positive side was that FQ has great dirt capacity and you can clean for a good month in the average home befor emptying.  Yet again, due to the convenience aspect, here we have a vacuum that has never bowled over the industry in total but has retained a "following".

Long gone Lewyt was "bagless" too but jumped off the bag wangon relatively quickly and made the switch to the "speed-sak."

Over the years, it seems that people minded shaking out Electrolux and/or Hoover bags far less until the disposable dust bag caught on.

The big issue with bagless vacuums today -- like any others --  is convenience, quality and performance.  If I have to do extra work to get other work done, I look everywhere for the best ways to get around it.  If they can produce a bagless that doesn't require frequent emptying, has collection bin that's easily flushed out and that requires no more than six month filter maintainance under standard cleaning conditions, I could be talked.  Unfortunately, I have seen no such machines.

Best,

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #45   Mar 27, 2010 7:12 am
Venson wrote:
Hi Carmine,

Rexair and Rainbow's biggest problem is that they didn't/don't allow for spontanaity -- thing that helps user develop a liking for a specific machine.  If you're rug or floor's looking a little ratty, you can't just walk over to the closet and whip out your Rainbow and put it away again.  Not endearing, and certainly not endeariing enough to make either Rexair or Rainbow of nuch interest to the mass market.

Filter Queen is referred to as bagless and it is in the sense that dirt is not collected in a bag of any sort but replacement of a fresh filter cone was required with each emptying. You don't just dump it and walk away.  Because of the need for a fresh cellulose cone after each emptying that rates about the same to me, maintence and expense-wise as having a bagged vacuum.  The cones worked very, very well but dumping the collection bin was probably not too delightful a duty to many stay at home moms or working women, the predominant users of vacuums since back in the day.  The positive side was that FQ has great dirt capacity and you can clean for a good month in the average home befor emptying.  Yet again, due to the convenience aspect, here we have a vacuum that has never bowled over the industry in total but has retained a "following".

Long gone Lewyt was "bagless" too but jumped off the bag wangon relatively quickly and made the switch to the "speed-sak."

Over the years, it seems that people minded shaking out Electrolux and/or Hoover bags far less until the disposable dust bag caught on.

The big issue with bagless vacuums today -- like any others --  is convenience, quality and performance.  If I have to do extra work to get other work done, I look everywhere for the best ways to get around it.  If they can produce a bagless that doesn't require frequent emptying, has collection bin that's easily flushed out and that requires no more than six month filter maintainance under standard cleaning conditions, I could be talked.  Unfortunately, I have seen no such machines.

Best,

Venson

Well said Venson.  I add one more:  All niche sellers.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #46   Apr 11, 2010 7:11 am
An update.  I saved the old smelly dyson DC07 from the dump.  Took more time and effort than most in the business are willing to take/charge for.  I used many of the techniques provided by vacmanuk, thank you very much.  And a few of my own from the old days.  Sorry SEVERUS no sand blasting.  While rice may be good to loosen dust on the inside of a hoses, caked on dirt with pet smell on hard plastic doesn't lend itself to sand blasting.  Deteriorates the plastic.  I didn't replace any of the DC07 parts.  Both filters were still new from recent replacement.  Brush roll was still good too.  As was the dirt by pass hose which however was a pet smell trap, like the u tube air way and dirt inlet tube.  Should be fine now however, at least for awhile longer.  I return it tomorrow.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #47   Apr 13, 2010 7:59 pm
An update on the dog smelly DC07.  The owner used it today to vacuum her upstairs and down [where the dog resides] and reports no smell of dog odor at all.   None. 

Carmine D.

Replies: 38 - 47 of 47Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42