Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
hooverman

Kirby Sentria
Original Message   Feb 2, 2010 1:34 pm
Is NOT worth the $ cuz it is a terrible cleaner; nowhere near the power of older Kirbys.  I saw a demo of the Sentria & it didn't touch any dirt from the carpets; couldn't even pick up anything.  Then I went over the same area with my Classic Omega & the 30+ yr old Kirby pulled out MILLENIUMS of dirt even thru the floorboard.  Why is the Sentria only 1/1000 as powerful as the pre-G Series Kirbys?  I don't think trading an old Kirby is worth anything; I think customers are fooled when they trade their older, more powerful Kirby for the worthless Sentria.  I've owned that Omega & no dirt can hide from a 30+ yr old Kirby!
This message was modified Feb 2, 2010 by hooverman
Replies: 38 - 47 of 47Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Venson

Re: Kirby Sentria
Reply #38   Apr 26, 2010 7:19 am
mole wrote:

Venson you still got the G5............

regards

MOLE

Heck yeah MOLE.  It's not going anywhere.

Venson

Hertz

Reply #39   Apr 26, 2010 4:34 pm
mole wrote:
FYI.

The Kirby generation series machines  use different brush rollors, You CAN NOT interchange rollors from a g6 up into a G5 or G4. Nor can you interchange a G5 into a G3 or G4.

\Yes you can turn the bearing caps around and it will fit, Just watch the rotation of the brush rollor, [HINT] it turns backwards.

Many suppose  Kirby repair experts do this and are sabotaging the machines by accident.

I should be charging for this information.............

Venson you still got the G5............

regards

MOLE

No, you should be doing your research and realize that a Sentria brushroll CAN fit into a G5 and/pr G4!!!  My friend DID IT BUD!  0_o.   All he did was simply switch it around and remove one or two bristle sets and BAM, just like as if it were in a Sentria.

I should be charging for this information.
mole

Reply #40   Apr 26, 2010 4:57 pm
Never said it does not fit , I said it does run in the right direction. Pay attention............

MOLE
Hertz

Reply #41   Apr 26, 2010 5:04 pm
mole wrote:
Never said it does not fit , I said it does run in the right direction. Pay attention............

MOLE

Ahhh, haha, my bad.  How does this affect the cleaning performance?

Also, is it possible to retro-fit a Sentria head and nozzle onto a G4?
Just

Reply #42   Apr 28, 2010 11:17 am
I can't speak in any expert fashion, as I don't know about the Sentrina.  I do, however have an Omega and a UG.    In comparison side by side I would say that the UG will groom the carpet quicker, but the Omega appears to fluff the carpet more, but it does take a slower pass.    I think this is because the nozzle design on the Omega pulls the carpeting up more in the "Tripple Cushion Vibration" action than the UG. 

Another experience is the Omega's brushroll tends to be more gentler on the carpeting.  There is an appearance of less fuzzing than with the UG.  I have a thick plush as well as Berber in the bedrooms.  The Berber especially shows more abuse with the UG. 

These are just my personal observations and as I stated I have no scientific backing. 

Off topic of Kirby, but another observation.  My little Riccar Supralite appears to do much better on surface litter than either Kirby.  My daughter likes to empty the school playground on my carpet.  The Kirbys will kind of plow and push the sand, whereas the Riccar gets right to sucking it up.

Hertz

Reply #43   Apr 28, 2010 8:42 pm
Just wrote:
I can't speak in any expert fashion, as I don't know about the Sentrina.  I do, however have an Omega and a UG.    In comparison side by side I would say that the UG will groom the carpet quicker, but the Omega appears to fluff the carpet more, but it does take a slower pass.    I think this is because the nozzle design on the Omega pulls the carpeting up more in the "Tripple Cushion Vibration" action than the UG. 

Another experience is the Omega's brushroll tends to be more gentler on the carpeting.  There is an appearance of less fuzzing than with the UG.  I have a thick plush as well as Berber in the bedrooms.  The Berber especially shows more abuse with the UG. 

These are just my personal observations and as I stated I have no scientific backing. 

Off topic of Kirby, but another observation.  My little Riccar Supralite appears to do much better on surface litter than either Kirby.  My daughter likes to empty the school playground on my carpet.  The Kirbys will kind of plow and push the sand, whereas the Riccar gets right to sucking it up.

First of all, what's a "UG"?? :P Second of all, not only is the Omega probably less powerful than the Supralite, but the Kirby's have such a strong nozzle suction - INCREDIBLE strong - that they SEAL themselves to the carpet, thus any larger particles like sand or litter will be "snow plowed" by the metal head, but not because of lack of suction, but instead that is the reason. That's a theory for your case, however I'm sure it does apply in other situations.
Just

Reply #44   Apr 29, 2010 8:19 am
Hertz wrote:
First of all, what's a "UG"?? :P Second of all, not only is the Omega probably less powerful than the Supralite,

Well First:  UG  UltimateG

Second:  NO.  The Kirby has a larger fan, and a larger motor.

BUT, you are correct and was my point the nozzle design of the Kirby which seals to the carpet is plowing surface litter, whereas the Riccar floats the carpet and does not plow.    And if one will remember I stated it was an observation, not a theory.

Venson

Reply #45   Apr 29, 2010 10:15 am
A Kirby is not meant or made to ride on top of pile.  It should be adjusted just enough for suction to lift the carpet up to nozzle while maintaining a constant sound when moved back and forth.  This is after all an old style machine.  Properly set you should expect to see a little bit of motion regarding stuff on the rug that lies directly in front of the machine.  My G5 has never "snow plowed" anything.

Venson

Just

Reply #46   Apr 29, 2010 12:39 pm
Venson wrote:
   My G5 has never "snow plowed" anything.

Venson

Neither had mine until my daughter introduced it to a shoe(s)  full of playground sand. 

I have been pushing a Kirby for neigh on 50 years and have always adjusted it one click beyond when the motor changes tone.  This has always been adequate.  IT was just an observation that it does not handle surface litter i.e. piles of sand like a machine that skims the surface.  HOWEVER, the Riccar is far outclassed in deep cleaning.  The Supralite is more of an Oreck size and design.  I feel it is more of a sweeper than a vacuum.

ETA--The Riccar makes a lot more noise, sounds like it will come apart, when it picks up sand.  The Kirby handles it in stride, just some tinks and pings.

This message was modified Apr 29, 2010 by Just
Lucky1

Reply #47   May 3, 2010 11:30 am
Just wrote:
Neither had mine until my daughter introduced it to a shoe(s)  full of playground sand. 

I have been pushing a Kirby for neigh on 50 years and have always adjusted it one click beyond when the motor changes tone.  This has always been adequate.  IT was just an observation that it does not handle surface litter i.e. piles of sand like a machine that skims the surface.  HOWEVER, the Riccar is far outclassed in deep cleaning.  The Supralite is more of an Oreck size and design.  I feel it is more of a sweeper than a vacuum.

ETA--The Riccar makes a lot more noise, sounds like it will come apart, when it picks up sand.  The Kirby handles it in stride, just some tinks and pings.

I seriously think you under judge the Simplicity/Riccar Lightweights. The top of the line has a steel brushroll that is suburb AND has removable brushstrips. The noise is to be expected in that the Kirby has $500 more heavy metal to deaden the sound. These are really 2 different animals and to compare them really depends on the initial perimeters defined by the buyer. I really can't think of many vacuums so diametrically opposed in purpose than a Kirby and a Freedom. LOL
Replies: 38 - 47 of 47Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42