Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > whatever happened to the Rainbow enthusiasts

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

whatever happened to the Rainbow enthusiasts
Original Message   Dec 18, 2009 5:22 pm
Looking back over the past year, one thing conspicuously absent from this forum is a rabid Rainbow enthusiast.  Perhaps it is difficult to justify the outrageous price of these door to door wonders.   To some extent, a Rainbow owner has to believe in the Rainbow sales pitch and doesn't want to be confronted with any negative information about the Rainbow.    I also noticed that overstock.com is no longer selling the refurbished Rainbow SE's with the Wesselwerks small power nozzles.    Given the economy, it's got to be tough selling $2000+ vacuums - even if they can purify one's home. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Replies: 135 - 144 of 161Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: whatever happened to the Rainbow enthusiasts
Reply #135   Jan 25, 2010 7:27 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
Carmine/Severus,

There have been reports of these cars exceeding 100 miles per hour prior to crashing.  That means the accelerator is not hung at idle speed.  Leave your car in park and hold the accelerator to the floor to see how long it takes the engine to blow. 

Earlier I was simply giving a possibile catastrophe that could happen.  I would certainly hope that the braking power is sufficient to stall a car at 70 plus MPH before the engine blows.

If you were fortunate to be on a straight stretch of highway odds are in your favor.  If you hold steady pressure on the brake it will still function if the engine is dead and power steering is not absolutely necessary if no curves.  Pumping the brakes without the engine running could result in no brakes. 

I have a thought: run don't walk away from a toyota dealership until the company gets its act together.  So far, it appears that spin and shuffle is more important than the sanctity of human life.  By last count, a dozen dead/seriously injured from the vehicles.  Fines levied to date=$zero dollars.  HOOVER WT, one person suffered minored burns not requiring hospital stay.  Fines levied: 3/4 Million $.  What's wrong with that picture?

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #136   Jan 27, 2010 7:05 am
Latest on this matter. 

News Alert
from The Wall Street Journal
----------------------------
Sponsored by NASDAQ OMX

Toyota suspended sales of eight models recalled to fix potential problems with sticky accelerator pedals.

The company issued the 2.3-million-vehicle recall last week, adding to another recall of 4.2 million Toyota- and Lexus-branded vehicles, to reduce the risk of the pedals' getting trapped by floor mats. About 1.7 million vehicles are subject to both recalls.

Due to the sales suspension, Toyota is expected to stop producing the vehicles next week.

http://online.wsj.com/home-page?mod=djemalertNEWS

If toyota management is honest with themselves and others they'll admit the change from design to dealer showroom from the industry standard of 5 years to 2 is the culprit, in whole or part.  To my knowledge suspended sales is an unprecedented move by a major car maker.  No doubt a desperation act to save the rep and life of the company.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 27, 2010 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #137   Jan 27, 2010 9:44 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Latest on this matter. 

News Alert
from The Wall Street Journal
Sponsored by NASDAQ OMX

Toyota suspended sales of eight models recalled to fix potential problems with sticky accelerator pedals.

The company issued the 2.3-million-vehicle recall last week, adding to another recall of 4.2 million Toyota- and Lexus-branded vehicles, to reduce the risk of the pedals' getting trapped by floor mats. About 1.7 million vehicles are subject to both recalls.

Due to the sales suspension, Toyota is expected to stop producing the vehicles next week.

http://online.wsj.com/home-page?mod=djemalertNEWS

If toyota management is honest with themselves and others they'll admit the change from design to dealer showroom from the industry standard of 5 years to 2 is the culprit, in whole or part.  To my knowledge suspended sales is an unprecedented move by a major car maker.  No doubt a desperation act to save the rep and life of the company.

Carmine D.

Stopped at a Toyota dealer today to look at a used car for my daughter.  All 2007 and newer Toyotas were being moved to the back lot and the salesmen sent home.   I was told that the fix is a mod to the accelerator pedal.  Toyota is giving priority to customer vehicles before dealer vehicles.  Manager said the shop will be very busy for a while.

Toyota took action unlike Hoover who kept quiet until government interventiion.  Could be the reason for no fine.

Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #138   Jan 27, 2010 11:04 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
Stopped at a Toyota dealer today to look at a used car for my daughter.  All 2007 and newer Toyotas were being moved to the back lot and the salesmen sent home.   I was told that the fix is a mod to the accelerator pedal.  Toyota is giving priority to customer vehicles before dealer vehicles.  Manager said the shop will be very busy for a while.

Toyota took action unlike Hoover who kept quiet until government interventiion.  Could be the reason for no fine.

You may be right.  But it may be that the US government is so heavily in debt to the Japanese that they do not want to risk offending them. 

Of course it won't stop the lawyers from having a field day...

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
CarmineD

Reply #139   Jan 28, 2010 6:55 am
HARDSELL wrote:

HS:

We have some friends [professionals in the med field in Tulsa OK] in their late 40's with two kids early teen age years.  They bought a new 2010 toyota corolla shortly after the Christmas holidays.  They knew nothing of the recalls until my Wife shared the news with them.  Yesterday, after the WSJ announcement, she returned to the dealership with the new corolla.  Less than a month old.  She was the first customer and the dealership was deserted.  [Good time to go].  She was distraught as you can imagine.  The toyota dealership took the new corolla back and gave her a new Prius hybrid, temporarily until they can determine the problem and correct and return.  Can't do this for all customers.  She lucked out.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #140   Jan 28, 2010 6:59 am
Severus wrote:
You may be right.  But it may be that the US government is so heavily in debt to the Japanese that they do not want to risk offending them. 

SEVERUS:

Agree.  Toyota is shuttering plants.  Laying off dealer personnel.  Not good for the toyota workers and car buyers.  Especially now and the current economic conditions.  Is there another gov't bail out [taxpayer] on the horizon.

Carmine D. 

CarmineD

Reply #141   Jan 29, 2010 7:27 am
Severus wrote:

SEVERUS:

News reports coming out after the production suspensions have first hand admissions by Ray LaHood the Secretary of Transportation that he/White House staff put pressure on toyota management to take decisive actions.  Hence, the announcement of the production suspensions 5 days after the latest round of more recalls.  Time for toyota officials to mull over their plan of actions.  This is a nightmare for the car company with repercussions throughout Europe too.   To their credit toyota officials are saying now that they stretched the company too thin and sacrificed quality control in the process.  Maybe this admission will help IF the company and dealers can get their act together with customers.  The toyota help line is out of date and the dealer personnel are telling customers all number of made up excuses.  Competitors like GM in particular are sensing that the timing is right to profit themselves from the toyota debacle.  If toyota recovers from this major fiasco, and it may not, it will be one for the history lesson business books. 

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #142   Jan 29, 2010 7:37 pm
I dont know if this is applicable but I just found this on the net tonight regarding a household appliance news search on Google and affects all who own Filterqueen machines.

www.appliance.net

http://www.appliance.net/2009/recall-hmi-industries-floor-cleaners-due-to-burn-hazard-1188
Venson

Reply #143   Jan 30, 2010 11:17 am
vacmanuk wrote:
I dont know if this is applicable but I just found this on the net tonight regarding a household appliance news search on Google and affects all who own Filterqueen machines.

www.appliance.net

http://www.appliance.net/2009/recall-hmi-industries-floor-cleaners-due-to-burn-hazard-1188

Hi vacmanuk,

This is the first I'm hearing of this.  I wish the article had been more specific as it is a little difficult to determine if the problem is in the hose wiring or within the cleaner itself.  Filter Queens have always run hot due to the material used for dampening sound (at one time cotton batting) at the top of the machine being mainly responsible for FQ's famed quiet.  If I am correct, I would also think that higher power motors used to keep the machine competitive would also up the factor.  That I assume was the reason for the introduction of the plastic grillwork on top of this all metal machine a good number of years ago.

Nonetheless, the older models lasted and served quite well.  My best guess is that the kids in charge now are looking to save money and are cutting their own throats by cutting corners.

As for the hose, etc., the new attachment set-up is totally different from anything FQ has done before.  The PN as I understand it is an improvement over past ideas which made FQ no wonder on carpeting.

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #144   Jan 30, 2010 11:22 am
Venson wrote:
Hi vacmanuk,

This is the first I'm hearing of this.  I wish the article had been more specific as it is a little difficult to determine if the problem is in the hose wiring or within the cleaner itself.  Filter Queens have always run hot due to the material used for dampening sound (at one time cotton batting) at the top of the machine being mainly responsible for FQ's famed quiet.  If I am correct, I would also think that higher power motors used to keep the machine competitive would also up the factor.  That I assume was the reason for the introduction of the plastic grillwork on top of this all metal machine a good number of years ago.

Nonetheless, the older models lasted and served quite well.  My best guess is that the kids in charge now are looking to save money and are cutting their own throats by cutting corners.

As for the hose, etc., the new attachment set-up is totally different from anything FQ has done before.  The PN as I understand it is an improvement over past ideas which made FQ no wonder on carpeting.

Venson

Hi Venson:

I believe prior to your tenue here this FQ issue was posted.  Frankly I completely forgot about it when the HOOVER WT switch and Electrolus Pronto issues surfaced but Vacmanuk's posting jogged my memory.  Interesting too that HOOVER had about 100 plus of these defects reported prior to recall while FQ reports 44 thru May 2009.  Considering the mass sales of the HOOVER WT's one would expect many more vice the FQ.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 30, 2010 by CarmineD
Replies: 135 - 144 of 161Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42