Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > whatever happened to the Rainbow enthusiasts

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

whatever happened to the Rainbow enthusiasts
Original Message   Dec 18, 2009 5:22 pm
Looking back over the past year, one thing conspicuously absent from this forum is a rabid Rainbow enthusiast.  Perhaps it is difficult to justify the outrageous price of these door to door wonders.   To some extent, a Rainbow owner has to believe in the Rainbow sales pitch and doesn't want to be confronted with any negative information about the Rainbow.    I also noticed that overstock.com is no longer selling the refurbished Rainbow SE's with the Wesselwerks small power nozzles.    Given the economy, it's got to be tough selling $2000+ vacuums - even if they can purify one's home. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Replies: 125 - 134 of 161Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: whatever happened to the Rainbow enthusiasts
Reply #125   Jan 22, 2010 6:46 am
Severus wrote:
CR has in the past used vacuum consultants, which would likely be independents.   A consultant could certainly point out design weaknesses.   The problem with data from independents is that they cannot  estimate the proportion of vacuums needing repairs.  They may be able to estimate the numerator of the ratio of interest, but they have no basis for the denominator.  Moreover, more expensive vacuums like Dysons/Orecks may go to the store for repair, while the cheaper vacuums end up in the trash heap.  Independents also have their biases too.  An independent might be tempted to knock the vacs sold at big box stores in favor of independent brands. 

Hi SEVERUS: 

As always thanks for the insight.  WRT the statement I highlighted, I'd say:  Not all independents [or retired independents who consulted to the industry] . 

Carmine D.

Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #126   Jan 22, 2010 12:06 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hi SEVERUS: 

As always thanks for the insight.  WRT the statement I highlighted, I'd say:  Not all independents [or retired independents who consulted to the industry] . 

Carmine D.

Bias isn't limited to vacuum sellers.  Those who buy an expensive  machine - whether a Kirby/Rainbow/Miele/Dyson/Sebo/Oreck want to believe that the product they bought is the best.  So when CR reports that the performance of their monster vac is similar to a cheaper brand, they get upset.  It's normal human reaction.  

If I were selling the Supervac 5000 and had the opportunity to get it a good rating at CR, I would do what it takes to help my bottom line. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
CarmineD

Reply #127   Jan 22, 2010 1:26 pm
Severus wrote:
Bias isn't limited to vacuum sellers.  Those who buy an expensive  machine - whether a Kirby/Rainbow/Miele/Dyson/Sebo/Oreck want to believe that the product they bought is the best.  So when CR reports that the performance of their monster vac is similar to a cheaper brand, they get upset.  It's normal human reaction.  

If I were selling the Supervac 5000 and had the opportunity to get it a good rating at CR, I would do what it takes to help my bottom line. 

Hello SEVERUS:

Good points.  Never pushed one brand/model in particular in business.  Always carried all different makes and models, new and used.  If it was a good product for the price, we carried/sold it and stood behind them.  Even had some not so good new vacuums: Westinghouse.  We stood behind the good ones and the not so good ones and we made sure our customers were satisfied with the quality of the repalcement parts and service.  

Carmine D. 

Severus

Reply #128   Jan 24, 2010 1:27 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hello SEVERUS:

Good points.  Never pushed one brand/model in particular in business.  Always carried all different makes and models, new and used.  If it was a good product for the price, we carried/sold it and stood behind them.  Even had some not so good new vacuums: Westinghouse.  We stood behind the good ones and the not so good ones and we made sure our customers were satisfied with the quality of the repalcement parts and service.  

Carmine D. 

Carmine,

Perhaps you should send Consumer Reports a resume.  You might be able to straighten them out. 

CarmineD

Reply #129   Jan 24, 2010 6:35 am
Severus wrote:
Carmine,

Perhaps you should send Consumer Reports a resume.  You might be able to straighten them out. 

SEVERUS:

Thank you for the compliment.  I'm assuming you refer solely to vacuums.  Years ago, yes I was more inclined.  But not anymore, too old.  CR has its job to do and they do it with/despite their shortcomings.  I'm content to leave it there at that. 

WRT vehicles, excuse the diversion all, CR missed toyota's faux paux by decreasing design to dealer time from the industry standard of 5 years to 2.  I mentioned this here when toyota first announced the change and later as the recalls for toyota started to mount.  Huge mistake by toyota and CR missed the significance with respect to the future problems. 

Carmine D.

Severus

Reply #130   Jan 25, 2010 10:33 am
CarmineD wrote:
SEVERUS:

Thank you for the compliment.  I'm assuming you refer solely to vacuums.  Years ago, yes I was more inclined.  But not anymore, too old.  CR has its job to do and they do it with/despite their shortcomings.  I'm content to leave it there at that. 

WRT vehicles, excuse the diversion all, CR missed toyota's faux paux by decreasing design to dealer time from the industry standard of 5 years to 2.  I mentioned this here when toyota first announced the change and later as the recalls for toyota started to mount.  Huge mistake by toyota and CR missed the significance with respect to the future problems. 

Carmine D.

CR does provide some good advice for what to do in the event that your car experiences sudden acceleration problems. 

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/consumer&id=7234106
"While Consumer Reports says the risk of sudden acceleration is low, it's important to know what to do. Apply the brakes firmly and put the car in neutral without taking your foot off the brake. The engine will rev, but you'll be able to bring the car to a stop and turn it off."

HARDSELL

Reply #131   Jan 25, 2010 11:43 am
Severus wrote:
CR does provide some good advice for what to do in the event that your car experiences sudden acceleration problems. 

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/consumer&id=7234106
"While Consumer Reports says the risk of sudden acceleration is low, it's important to know what to do. Apply the brakes firmly and put the car in neutral without taking your foot off the brake. The engine will rev, but you'll be able to bring the car to a stop and turn it off."

Just hope that the engine doesn't blow when put in neutral at highway speeds.  No power steering or power brakes.
Severus

Reply #132   Jan 25, 2010 11:59 am
HARDSELL wrote:
Just hope that the engine doesn't blow when put in neutral at highway speeds.  No power steering or power brakes.

As long as the engine is running - at least until it blows up, you should have power steering and power brakes.  CR makes a point of saying not to turn off the engine, since you would lose those things.  CR tests showed that the brakes alone might not be enough to stop a car accelerating out of control. 

So how would your advice differ? 

CarmineD

Reply #133   Jan 25, 2010 2:17 pm
HARDSELL wrote:

Yes, if you turn off the engine.  SEVERUS and CR are correct.  Putting the defective car in neutral gives the driver/vehicle steerability.  In concert with the brakes and turning [even with engine in neutral] drivers can at least make it to a safe haven w/o collision.  CR if I recall correctly recounts one Lexus driver who actually drove his Lexus, after experiencing the acceleration surge, to the toyota dealer using the technique.  The dealer rep tried to blame the floor mat, until the Lexus driver showed the dealer's rep that the mat was in the trunk!

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #134   Jan 25, 2010 3:22 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Yes, if you turn off the engine.  SEVERUS and CR are correct.  Putting the defective car in neutral gives the driver/vehicle steerability.  In concert with the brakes and turning [even with engine in neutral] drivers can at least make it to a safe haven w/o collision.  CR if I recall correctly recounts one Lexus driver who actually drove his Lexus, after experiencing the acceleration surge, to the toyota dealer using the technique.  The dealer rep tried to blame the floor mat, until the Lexus driver showed the dealer's rep that the mat was in the trunk!

Carmine D.

Carmine/Severus,

There have been reports of these cars exceeding 100 miles per hour prior to crashing.  That means the accelerator is not hung at idle speed.  Leave your car in park and hold the accelerator to the floor to see how long it takes the engine to blow. 

Earlier I was simply giving a possibile catastrophe that could happen.  I would certainly hope that the braking power is sufficient to stall a car at 70 plus MPH before the engine blows.

If you were fortunate to be on a straight stretch of highway odds are in your favor.  If you hold steady pressure on the brake it will still function if the engine is dead and power steering is not absolutely necessary if no curves.  Pumping the brakes without the engine running could result in no brakes. 

Replies: 125 - 134 of 161Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42