Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > whatever happened to the Rainbow enthusiasts

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

whatever happened to the Rainbow enthusiasts
Original Message   Dec 18, 2009 5:22 pm
Looking back over the past year, one thing conspicuously absent from this forum is a rabid Rainbow enthusiast.  Perhaps it is difficult to justify the outrageous price of these door to door wonders.   To some extent, a Rainbow owner has to believe in the Rainbow sales pitch and doesn't want to be confronted with any negative information about the Rainbow.    I also noticed that overstock.com is no longer selling the refurbished Rainbow SE's with the Wesselwerks small power nozzles.    Given the economy, it's got to be tough selling $2000+ vacuums - even if they can purify one's home. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Replies: 74 - 83 of 161Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Re: whatever happened to the Rainbow enthusiasts
Reply #74   Jan 9, 2010 12:31 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hello SEVERUS:

You'll appreciate my answer because you gave me the inspiration.  A DC07 All Carpets with a better brush roll than the original version.  Recall that Wal*Mart sold this DC07 model in 2004/5, w/o a clutch, for $319 as an exclusive.  Sir James and dyson, if this model were still around today [rather than discontinued after the advertising/contract falling out with W*M], easily would sell for $150-$199.  Dyson would be competitive in that price range, easily make a profit for itself and its retailers.  In other words, Sir James would clean up at the big box store venues in the current economy. 

Sir James missed the market on robots.  Shame on him.  Especially with 500 engineers on staff.  Didn't even try.  For all intents and purposes, dyson is too late.  Household robotics are dominated by iRobot's Roomba which has a lock on the market since entering in the fall of 2002.  It's pushed out all the existing competitors easily. 

Dyson is non-existent and/or way behind in commercial uprights/canns.  By now he should have been in the market.  Same is true with CVS.  Same with sticks.  His handhelds are priced way too high for the performance and run times. 

Finally, the long awaited and talked about dealer only models.  What ever happened to them?  All show and no go.

Carmine D.

Carmine,

I wouldn't be too quick to count Dyson out on the robotic vacuums.   Certainly they won't compete at the low price point.  However, with followers like Dustmite, they could possibly compete at a higher price level.  I'm no expert,  but Dyson seems to be making progress in making tiny but very powerful motors that don't consume a lot of energy.   With the right motors, they could make a robotic vacuum that could actually clean like a full size vacuum.   It might also allow them to make an upright with a low front profile to get under furniture. 

I consider the long flimsy cleaning hose to be a negative for those of us who have one level homes.    I'd prefer a sturdier hose that stores off the machine with a short Sebo like hose on the machine. 

I agree that a commercial type upright would be a plus - provided it's upgraded to be sturdier and have overload protection, lower profile for cleaning under furniture. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Venson

Reply #75   Jan 9, 2010 5:46 am
Severus wrote:
Carmine,

I wouldn't be too quick to count Dyson out on the robotic vacuums.   Certainly they won't compete at the low price point.  However, with followers like Dustmite, they could possibly compete at a higher price level.  I'm no expert,  but Dyson seems to be making progress in making tiny but very powerful motors that don't consume a lot of energy.   With the right motors, they could make a robotic vacuum that could actually clean like a full size vacuum. 

Hi Severus,

Roomba has had a corner on the robotic vacuum here or some time.  It would definitely take a highly efficient deep cleaning robotic vac to beat Roomba out.  Remarkably, Roomba customers have not fussed much about thorougness as long as surface dirt is removed.

Dyson has been doing PR for its DC06 for quite a long time but I have yet to see it on the American market.  It is designed with cyclonics but I don't think that as part of the sales spiel necessarily is impressive to anyone buying a vacuum cleaner that requires a minimum of hands-on involvement. Roomba has gained no kudos for thoroughness or high filtration so far  but I don't think most buyers care as long as it does a decent job of removing surface soil.

Popular Roomba's more similar in style competitors like LG's Roboking and European Electrolux's Trilobite also seem skittish about approaching the American market.

http://www.gizmag.com/go/1282/

Venson

Reply #76   Jan 9, 2010 5:46 am
Severus wrote:
Carmine,

I wouldn't be too quick to count Dyson out on the robotic vacuums.   Certainly they won't compete at the low price point.  However, with followers like Dustmite, they could possibly compete at a higher price level.  I'm no expert,  but Dyson seems to be making progress in making tiny but very powerful motors that don't consume a lot of energy.   With the right motors, they could make a robotic vacuum that could actually clean like a full size vacuum. 

Hi Severus,

Roomba has had a corner on the robotic vacuum here or some time.  It would definitely take a highly efficient deep cleaning robotic vac to beat Roomba out.  Remarkably, Roomba customers have not fussed much about thorougness as long as surface dirt is removed.

Dyson has been doing PR for its DC06 for quite a long time but I have yet to see it on the American market.  It is designed with cyclonics but I don't think that as part of the sales spiel necessarily is impressive to anyone buying a vacuum cleaner that requires a minimum of hands-on involvement. Roomba has gained no kudos for thoroughness or high filtration so far  but I don't think most buyers care as long as it does a decent job of removing surface soil.

Popular Roomba's more similar in style competitors like LG's Roboking and European Electrolux's Trilobite also seem skittish about approaching the American market.

CarmineD

Reply #77   Jan 9, 2010 6:53 am
Venson wrote and Severus wrote:
Hi Severus,

Carmine,

I wouldn't be too quick to count Dyson out on the robotic vacuums.   Certainly they won't compete at the low price point.  However, with followers like Dustmite, they could possibly compete at a higher price level.  I'm no expert,  but Dyson seems to be making progress in making tiny but very powerful motors that don't consume a lot of energy.   With the right motors, they could make a robotic vacuum that could actually clean like a full size vacuum.   It might also allow them to make an upright with a low front profile to get under furniture. 

I consider the long flimsy cleaning hose to be a negative for those of us who have one level homes.    I'd prefer a sturdier hose that stores off the machine with a short Sebo like hose on the machine. 

I agree that a commercial type upright would be a plus - provided it's upgraded to be sturdier and have overload protection, lower profile for cleaning under furniture. 

Hello SEVERUS, VENSON:

The article in the link which is about dyson's robot DC06 is dated May 2, 2004.  Almost 6 years ago.  This is the final statement at the end of the article.

"The DC06 should be available in Australia at the end of the year, and is expected to cost around $6000." 

Dyson is still in the Australian market.  It's still possible it will be available but I suspect the price will go up.  As in all things that are dyson, the product pitch is always superior to the actual performance. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 9, 2010 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #78   Jan 9, 2010 7:01 am
retardturtle1 wrote:
HI CARMINE

I had a dc7...was a gift......i then gifted away. So of all the b-rolls on the market...who would you say had the best one/two  to work on your all carpets dyson.

turtle1

Hello turtle1:

HAPPY NEW YEAR! 

HOOVER WT/TEMPO and EUREKA uprights are the best on the market today for brush rolls.  But would require major mods to a dyson DC07 head nozzle.  A very distant second in brush rolls is ORECK.  For a DC07, w/o the clutch and minimal modifications to the nozzle head, the ORECK wooden brush roll and bristle tufts would be an ideal size, shape and weight. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 9, 2010 by CarmineD
DysonInventsBig

Reply #79   Jan 9, 2010 11:48 am
procare wrote:
DIB,

Centrifugal force and Cylonic actions work together to seperate dust and dirt. All vacuums use cyclonic action and centrifugal force. The Newcombe and Rexair it's predecessor use that seperator to to get cleaner air  thru it's motor. The main thing that hurt  Rexair before it started using water in the cleaner was the real fine dust like soot would go right back into the air ala Three Stooges and other comedians used in the mid 30's on. I am no Idiot like you that like to call people names. I have been nice to you and you think you are the only one here that knows anything.

When I brought out Newcombe it was part of Rainbow (Rexair) history. Your thoughts about it being a salad  spinner is proving you to be the Idiot not Carmine or anyone else on this thread. No one cut down Dyson as an Innovator but showed that there was someone there before him. Root was the inventor on the cyclonic end and Dyson put it to use in vacuum cleaners. An innovation not invention.

Procare,

You seem fond of inventions that don’t quite ‘cut it’ with the public.  The real world rejects inventions regardless of how much sincerity goes into developing it.  The salad spinner comment was a joke and ‘in your face insult’ to Carmine’s forgoing reading the Newcombe patent I spoon fed him.  He has a long history of shooting off his mouth against anything-Dyson and delivering nothing in terms of research. - The insult was fitting and deserving and long overdue!  I did honor the inventor with a nice compliment too...of course you intentionally left this out.  I honored this forgotten invention by publicly posting it here and by contrast the Three Stooges using it on film as a dust blower gag (for million/s to see) probably sealed its fate (fairly or unfairly).  If it had a downstream filter on it, I do wonder how quickly it would clog and how a clogged filter is better (and a money maker) than the cheaper and lighter weight cloth bagged vacuum.  Based on what you and your buddies say here against Dyson inventions and innovations...  No-doubt if you lived in Newcombe’s day you’d attack his attempts and bag alternative vacuum cleaner invention.

Dyson Invents Big

DysonInventsBig

Reply #80   Jan 9, 2010 12:04 pm
procare wrote:
DIB,

Centrifugal force and Cylonic actions work together to seperate dust and dirt. All vacuums use cyclonic action and centrifugal force. The Newcombe and Rexair it's predecessor use that seperator to to get cleaner air  thru it's motor. The main thing that hurt  Rexair before it started using water in the cleaner was the real fine dust like soot would go right back into the air ala Three Stooges and other comedians used in the mid 30's on. I am no Idiot like you that like to call people names. I have been nice to you and you think you are the only one here that knows anything.

When I brought out Newcombe it was part of Rainbow (Rexair) history. Your thoughts about it being a salad  spinner is proving you to be the Idiot not Carmine or anyone else on this thread. No one cut down Dyson as an Innovator but showed that there was someone there before him. Root was the inventor on the cyclonic end and Dyson put it to use in vacuum cleaners. An innovation not invention.

Procare,

You enjoy playing the minimizing game...not unlike the umpteen vacuum competing independents and/or the Dyson-envious.  I say your Roots blower claim is interesting, but it’s bogus.  Dyson reps say [square] ‘Root’ comes from math, I agree.

You’ve yet to link or post anything that supports your Root claim.  Typical.

Dyson Invents Big

DysonInventsBig

Reply #81   Jan 9, 2010 12:15 pm
procare wrote:
DIB,

Root was the inventor on the cyclonic end and Dyson put it to use in vacuum cleaners. An innovation not invention.

Procare,

I can play the minimizing game too...  if someone places a second suction motor on a vacuum cleaner... is this an invention, is this an innovation, or is this an obvious and sequential step?

Dyson Invents Big

DysonInventsBig

Reply #82   Jan 9, 2010 12:43 pm
procare wrote:
DIB,

What is a VACUUM SEXIFIER? I saw JAMES DYSON  was one. I never heard of such a thing.

Here's the good news!!!!!  I do not know, nor want to know what the hell you're talking about (I've never heard this term).
This message was modified Jan 9, 2010 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #83   Jan 9, 2010 1:54 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Procare,

You seem fond of inventions that don’t quite ‘cut it’ with the public.  The real world rejects inventions regardless of how much sincerity goes into developing it.  The salad spinner comment was a joke and ‘in your face insult’ to Carmine’s forgoing reading the Newcombe patent I spoon fed him.  He has a long history of shooting off his mouth against anything-Dyson and delivering nothing in terms of research. - The insult was fitting and deserving and long overdue!  I did honor the inventor with a nice compliment too...of course you intentionally left this out.  I honored this forgotten invention by publicly posting it here and by contrast the Three Stooges using it on film as a dust blower gag (for million/s to see) probably sealed its fate (fairly or unfairly).  If it had a downstream filter on it, I do wonder how quickly it would clog and how a clogged filter is better (and a money maker) than the cheaper and lighter weight cloth bagged vacuum.  Based on what you and your buddies say here against Dyson inventions and innovations...  No-doubt if you lived in Newcombe’s day you’d attack his attempts and bag alternative vacuum cleaner invention.

Dyson Invents Big

Dib-ster:

Your worship of everything dyson and refusal to recognize the obvious facts otherwise regarding the man and his products is indicative of a shill.   Ultimately, self-esteem is measured by integrity not name calling.  Integrity is saying the truth when it is unpopular to do so and the consequences are negative.  Since I've been posting here, I have systematically and constructively criticized most of dyson products with cause.   You and someone here before [now gone] heaped slander and names on me.  Despite such, I continue to be an honest broker here.  Giving constructive advice and criticism on all brands including your fave. 

As I said and will continue to say until you provide evidence to the contrary, when it comes to all things dyson, the pitch is always superior to the products.

Carmine D.

Replies: 74 - 83 of 161Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42