Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Please help me choose a canister vacuum for my parents

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
tawheed

Please help me choose a canister vacuum for my parents
Original Message   Dec 20, 2009 8:48 pm
Hello all,

Never would I have thought that I would have spent this much time researching vacuums, however here I am.  My mother had been using a $300 or so Bay brand vacuum for the last five or more years and the cord retract broke.  My father decided to buy her a bissell upright bagless to replace it.  She hates it more than anything as it's very, very heavy and tough to lug up and down the stairs. 

I want to buy her a new canister style vacuum and was hoping to spend in the $300-$400 range.  There are no pets in the house and it'll be used on mostly medium pile carpet and some lino.  It would ideally be fairly light with good suction.  I'm in Canada if that matters at all :)

I look forward to your educated recommendations.

Thanks,

Tawheed
This message was modified Dec 20, 2009 by tawheed
Replies: 6 - 15 of 15Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Please help me choose a canister vacuum for my parents
Reply #6   Dec 22, 2009 6:38 am
Vernon wrote:
Tawheed,

Me to in Canada!!

As the ever thoughtful Venson stated, check you local vac shops, it's surprising what turns up for trade ins and comes out as a good rebuilt.  Not to mention, you might find something new that might be slightly more than your budget.

If your family has a Costco membership, Costco Canada is selling the Miele S4 for $429.  Only negative is that it does not come with an electric power head, only an air driven one. 

The other option I ran across last was night was at, hate to admit that once in a blue moon I set foot in the place, was walmart.  The new Panasonic opti flow Mgc 885 (think that's the model), was at $298?? and now is selling for $198.00.  I've always had great faith in Panasonic products in general, they are not junk.  In regards to Panasonic vacs, some are relatively inexpensive, and might just fit the bill.  If I had to choose between buying a Panasonic made Kenmore and an actual Panasonic, I'd opt for the Panasonic and save myself a few dollars. 

Vernon

With the discussions on safety shut offs on another thread, I coped this feature on the above mentioned Panasonic [canister mc cg885] and posted here for readers.  Yes, this Pano cann which generally retails for $450 and now on sale for $249 has an overload protector as indicated.  As MOLE indicated a heat sensor works after heat build up.  By that time, its too late and the damage is done.  A jam fail safe reacts quickly.  Enjoy.

Carmine D.

Panasonic ideas for life

Overload Protector

The overload protector reacts quickly to shut-off and protect the belt and nozzle motor if the agitator is jammed. When the clogging object is removed and the reset button pressed, vacuuming can be resumed.

This message was modified Dec 22, 2009 by CarmineD
tawheed

Reply #7   Dec 23, 2009 3:05 pm
CarmineD wrote:
With the discussions on safety shut offs on another thread, I coped this feature on the above mentioned Panasonic [canister mc cg885] and posted here for readers.  Yes, this Pano cann which generally retails for $450 and now on sale for $249 has an overload protector as indicated.  As MOLE indicated a heat sensor works after heat build up.  By that time, its too late and the damage is done.  A jam fail safe reacts quickly.  Enjoy.

Carmine D.

Panasonic ideas for life

Overload Protector

The overload protector reacts quickly to shut-off and protect the belt and nozzle motor if the agitator is jammed. When the clogging object is removed and the reset button pressed, vacuuming can be resumed.

Hey Carmine,

I'm a bit confused by your post - is this a good or bad thing? :)

Thanks,

Tawheed
CarmineD

Reply #8   Dec 23, 2009 4:53 pm
tawheed wrote:
Hey Carmine,

I'm a bit confused by your post - is this a good or bad thing? :)

Thanks,

Tawheed

Hello Tawheed:

The Pano overload protector on this vacuum is a good feature for the product and its users. 

Carmine D.

tawheed

Reply #9   Dec 23, 2009 5:05 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Tawheed:

The Pano overload protector on this vacuum is a good feature for the product and its users. 

Carmine D.

Thank you!

This price $198 seems pretty good for a vacuum that still retails for $300+ USD in most places.. I plan to pick one up at Walmart today.. I'll let you guys know how she likes it!

Thanks again for your help and hopefully this is what makes her happy.

-Tawheed
CarmineD

Reply #10   Dec 24, 2009 6:50 am
wheed wrote:
Thank you!

This price $198 seems pretty good for a vacuum that still retails for $300+ USD in most places.. I plan to pick one up at Walmart today.. I'll let you guys know how she likes it!

Thanks again for your help and hopefully this is what makes her happy.

-Tawheed

I suspect this Pano cann model is comparable to the SEARS cann sold on sale often for $150.  Just a hunch and certainly worth a more careful look. 

Carmine D. 

spacer
MC-CG885
  Pano cann at Wal*Mart

spacer
 SEARS CANN made by Pano

This message was modified Dec 24, 2009 by CarmineD
vacmanuk

Reply #11   Dec 25, 2009 8:32 pm
Check out Sebo in Canada: the more compact K series could be ideal for your parents:Mind you, I dont know how much they are in Canada. http://www.sebocanada.ca/pdf/kseries.pdf
CarmineD

Reply #12   Dec 26, 2009 7:12 am
Hello Tawheed:

SEARS has the Kenmore, made by pano, orange sunburst color cann model pictured above on sale today, Saturday Dec 26, for $150, if you are inclined to scope it out.  One thing of note is the smallish power head nozzle.  Especially in light of the HOOVER cann and Kenmore cann Intuition both mentioned in your posts.  The latter two have brush rolls and cavities comparable to full size uprights, hence the reason IMH they score well by Consumer Reports in October 2009. 

Carmine D.

hooverman

Reply #13   Jan 21, 2010 7:52 pm
how about a nice rebuilt TriStar (CXL or DXL/EX-20) they have great filtration; nothing gets past a Tristar (when HEPA motor filter is installed)  They're also made of die cast aluminum & built like a military tank, can last forever.

2-speed CXL (best Tristar vacuum ever made) on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/TRI-STAR-CANISTER-VACUUM-CXL-SAVE-BIG_W0QQitemZ130360656744QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Vacuum?hash=item1e5a19c368

Micro-filtration paper bags for Tristar

http://cgi.ebay.com/48-Allergy-Bags-for-TriStar-Tri-Star-Compact-Vacuum_W0QQitemZ270496033672QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3efad1eb88

or a Filter Queen

http://cgi.ebay.com/AWESOME-FILTER-QUEEN-MAJESTIC-VACUUM-CLEANER-W-WARRANTY_W0QQitemZ400098941735QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Vacuum?hash=item5d27c15b27

or Electrolux 2100 on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ELECTROLUX-AERUS-2100-CANISTER-VACUUM-CLEANER-W-TOOLS_W0QQitemZ380199785772QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Vacuum?hash=item5885ac552c

CarmineD

Reply #14   Jan 22, 2010 7:07 am
I must add my agreement that rebuilts like the brands mentioned above by hooverman offer superior bang for he buck to vacuum consumers.  However, I also add the caveat to deal with reputable vacuum stores and dealers who warranty the products and do all the work themselves.  Pride in the product sales and service is priceless.

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #15   Jan 22, 2010 7:15 pm
hooverman wrote:
how about a nice rebuilt TriStar (CXL or DXL/EX-20) they have great filtration; nothing gets past a Tristar (when HEPA motor filter is installed)  They're also made of die cast aluminum & built like a military tank, can last forever.

2-speed CXL (best Tristar vacuum ever made) on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/TRI-STAR-CANISTER-VACUUM-CXL-SAVE-BIG_W0QQitemZ130360656744QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Vacuum?hash=item1e5a19c368

Micro-filtration paper bags for Tristar

http://cgi.ebay.com/48-Allergy-Bags-for-TriStar-Tri-Star-Compact-Vacuum_W0QQitemZ270496033672QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3efad1eb88

or a Filter Queen

http://cgi.ebay.com/AWESOME-FILTER-QUEEN-MAJESTIC-VACUUM-CLEANER-W-WARRANTY_W0QQitemZ400098941735QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Vacuum?hash=item5d27c15b27

or Electrolux 2100 on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ELECTROLUX-AERUS-2100-CANISTER-VACUUM-CLEANER-W-TOOLS_W0QQitemZ380199785772QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Vacuum?hash=item5885ac552c

Hi hooverman,

I think used or rebuilt models of the vacuums mention are great, long-lasting buys if given proper care.  However, my only concern is that the buyer educates his or herself as regards purchasing them through eBay.  Most of the local indie vac shops in my area seldom have these cleaners available for sale.

Online eBay shoppers should always check out seller feedback and shipping prices.

Venson

Replies: 6 - 15 of 15Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42