Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > whatever happened to the Rainbow enthusiasts

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

whatever happened to the Rainbow enthusiasts
Original Message   Dec 18, 2009 5:22 pm
Looking back over the past year, one thing conspicuously absent from this forum is a rabid Rainbow enthusiast.  Perhaps it is difficult to justify the outrageous price of these door to door wonders.   To some extent, a Rainbow owner has to believe in the Rainbow sales pitch and doesn't want to be confronted with any negative information about the Rainbow.    I also noticed that overstock.com is no longer selling the refurbished Rainbow SE's with the Wesselwerks small power nozzles.    Given the economy, it's got to be tough selling $2000+ vacuums - even if they can purify one's home. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Replies: 152 - 161 of 161Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
mark40511

Re: whatever happened to the Rainbow enthusiasts
Reply #152   Mar 17, 2011 2:07 pm
Yes.

That Rainmate thingy is nothing but an air freshener. It doesn't clean the air. I mean, it's a cool little unit but only worth ten dollars or so.

Dumb question.

Can the E series Rainbow's be ran without the hepa filter? When I had the hepa off the other day it warned not to run without it. Wouldn't running an E series without the hepa basically be like using a pre-e series Rainbow? I was thinking about just leaving the hepa off because it's not really doing anything. Perhaps it would create more suction? I don't know.

I'm also thinking about getting the Eureka Express PN for the Rainbow. But I also wondered what anyone thought of these PN's and would they fit the Rainbow e series?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Central-Vacuum-Electric-Power-head-Nozzle-Vac-NEW-/160535449028?pt=US_Vacuum&hash=item2560a88dc4
CarmineD

Reply #153   Mar 18, 2011 1:08 pm
mark40511 wrote:
.....That Rainmate thingy is nothing but an air freshener. It doesn't clean the air. I mean, it's a cool little unit but only worth ten dollars or so.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Central-Vacuum-Electric-Power-head-Nozzle-Vac-NEW-/160535449028?pt=US_Vacuum&hash=item2560a88dc4

Same same with the P/N.  Rainbow E series price for P/N is $279.  Eureka P/N $70.  And .....the fact that the Eureka P/N has an all metal agitator with beater bars and replaceable brush strips; the Rainbow brush roll is wood.  Extrapolate the same mark-up and product worthiness to the rest of the Rainbow vacuum and attachments too  IMHO.  As I said, after Rainbow was forced to come clean on its product overstatements and claims, it never kept pace with the rest of vacuum industry for product performance and price. 

Most of the Rainbow owners I know store the vacuum away in the closet and use another one as a daily vacuum.  Pulling out the Rainbow for sentimental reasons whenever they have pangs of guilt for spending so much $ to get so little bang.  Most Rainbows are kept in storage like this for years and years without any regular and/or even infrequent use.  They'll last a lifetime with that little use which is a product plus if there were some/any collectible value for them.  I haven't seen it yet in my liftime.  But there always hope.

Carmine D.

Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #154   Mar 19, 2011 12:41 am
CarmineD wrote:
Same same with the P/N.  Rainbow E series price for P/N is $279.  Eureka P/N $70.  And .....the fact that the Eureka P/N has an all metal agitator with beater bars and replaceable brush strips; the Rainbow brush roll is wood.  Extrapolate the same mark-up and product worthiness to the rest of the Rainbow vacuum and attachments too  IMHO.  As I said, after Rainbow was forced to come clean on its product overstatements and claims, it never kept pace with the rest of vacuum industry for product performance and price. 

Most of the Rainbow owners I know store the vacuum away in the closet and use another one as a daily vacuum.  Pulling out the Rainbow for sentimental reasons whenever they have pangs of guilt for spending so much $ to get so little bang.  Most Rainbows are kept in storage like this for years and years without any regular and/or even infrequent use.  They'll last a lifetime with that little use which is a product plus if there were some/any collectible value for them.  I haven't seen it yet in my liftime.  But there always hope.

Carmine D.

Carmine,

the unscrupulous Rainbow salesperson would say that we enjoy living in a sea of filth without a Rainbow to clean our homes.   They actually put the Rainbow back in the plastic bags and box so that the next customer thinks it's brand new.   When I mentioned that I had read that the Miele was the only vacuum that was certified as an entire unit, he implied that I must be mistaken.  I pity the poor Rainbow salespersons because they seem to really believe the BS in their sales pitches.   They truly believe that if you vacuum with a Rainbow after any other vacuum and it picks up even a single spec of dirt that it proves the Rainbow is better.  they also believe that the Rainbow will get all of the dirt out of the rug - which is truly fantasy.   If he hadn't already overstayed his welcome, I would have considered showing him that my vacuum could get dirt that his missed. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
CarmineD

Reply #155   Mar 19, 2011 7:11 am
Severus wrote:
Carmine,

the unscrupulous Rainbow salesperson would say that we enjoy living in a sea of filth without a Rainbow to clean our homes.   They actually put the Rainbow back in the plastic bags and box so that the next customer thinks it's brand new.   When I mentioned that I had read that the Miele was the only vacuum that was certified as an entire unit, he implied that I must be mistaken.  I pity the poor Rainbow salespersons because they seem to really believe the BS in their sales pitches.   They truly believe that if you vacuum with a Rainbow after any other vacuum and it picks up even a single spec of dirt that it proves the Rainbow is better.  they also believe that the Rainbow will get all of the dirt out of the rug - which is truly fantasy.   If he hadn't already overstayed his welcome, I would have considered showing him that my vacuum could get dirt that his missed. 

Hello Severus:

You and I have a friend who was and proudly claims having been a Rainbow salesman.  The Rexair/Rainbow 'sales schtick' has not changed in over 50 years.  Nor the personality of the sales crew.  They have the temperament of a thief and the skin of a rhino.  Nothing penetrates them.

We have a poster here whose niece tried her hand at selling Rainbows.  Wonder how she fared? 

Carmine D.

procare

Reply #156   Mar 20, 2011 12:04 am
I was offered the Stae sales manager  position for  a distributor and was sent home with 39 page Demo Paper I was to learn . The Demo was not to be deveiated from. So if you had a questionm , I would we would answer it shortly. Everything I saw in the spiel was Half truths so they could call you an out and out liar. I don't think the Demo is that way now , aaat least I hope not but the half truths are still there.

I didn't take the job because the product didn't prove it's worthiness and I am glad I didn't.

Procare

CarmineD

Reply #157   Mar 20, 2011 7:11 am
procare wrote:
I was offered the Stae sales manager  position for  a distributor and was sent home with 39 page Demo Paper I was to learn . The Demo was not to be deveiated from. So if you had a questionm , I would we would answer it shortly. Everything I saw in the spiel was Half truths so they could call you an out and out liar. I don't think the Demo is that way now , aaat least I hope not but the half truths are still there.

I didn't take the job because the product didn't prove it's worthiness and I am glad I didn't.

Procare

Hello Procare:

I have to opine that Rainbow will go the same way as Air Way.  Just a metter of time.

Carmine D.

mark40511

Reply #158   Mar 20, 2011 3:17 pm
I have never even heard of this:

Rexair CSD?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5PLO8R4ziI
Trebor

Reply #159   Mar 20, 2011 10:50 pm
I have two Rainbow D4 SE s. I have always felt the E series was a step backward. The D4 motors have three ball bearings.  I have cleaned a lot of houses with those Rainbows Not a lazy person's machine for sure. The new Hyla is a MUCH better unit. The "geyser " separator swirls the air through the water multiple times. It uses a 4 quart bucket (an open , easy to empty bucket with a handle that serves as to lock the motor down.) No filter except the water. MUCH better P/N (wessel work) much better mini p/,. turbo floor and upholstery tools available, electric floor polisher attachment, extra long stair hoses available. More powerful suction, too. If you want water filtration, Hyla is the way to go.
mark40511

Reply #160   Mar 22, 2011 5:32 pm
Yeah. I think Hyla looks like a great machine.

Can you explain the Geyser separator? How is it different from the Rainbow Separator.

Also, can the E series be rain without the hepa? Would that essentially be like using a pre E series Rainbow? Or are they designed only to work with the hepa?

Does Hyla's internals get dirty like some Rainbow's?

Do most vacuum shops service them? I know they are very popular in Europe
Trebor

Reply #161   Mar 31, 2011 4:43 pm
Mark,
The first Hyla had a removable separator that needed cleaning after each use. The newer design is more cylindrical called NST, New Separation Technology. I do not know how the GST (Geyser Separation Technology) differs but it is supposed to create a geyser that washes the air more thoroughly, eliminating any need for addiitonal filtration. The neck for air intake is contained inside the water bucket. It is a bucket, completely open. The air intake is actually submerged under the surface of the water. There is a separate air path for air washing and cleaning. The website has an animation showing this. The Aqua Air is remarkably like the Hyla, with the addition of a variable speed control. The newest Hyla has no bucket clamps, just  a bucket handle that serves the same function. The accessories for the Hyla are more numerous, but the Wessel Werk power nozzle is the same.  Despite the larger water container, both machines are nearly  the same height and width as the Rainbow. There is also the Robot, the Ocean Blue, and the Delphin competing in the separator based water filtration vacuum cleaner market.  No idea how they are faring. The Turmix I think became the Ocean Blue. It looks a lot like the former Vac Man, which I think was a reincarnation of the Turmix from Mexico. I had a Hyla, one of the first in the US. I did not keep it because it used the old 10in wessel werk PN with widely spaced soft bristles.

I have always liked cleaning with a water filtration vac, deep cleaning, that is. Quick pickups lasting less the 5 minutes, not so much.

Trebor

Replies: 152 - 161 of 161Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42