Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Garry Ultra Light Upright Vacuum

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
CarmineD

Garry Ultra Light Upright Vacuum
Original Message   Jun 4, 2009 1:02 pm
New lightweight with OBT in town for $250 with free bags for life and zero cost maintenance warranty for life.  Anything goes wrong, a new vacuun is shipped to you.  

http://www.garryvac.com/

Taking a page from ORECK on the giveaways:  Free Steam Mop to keep if not satisfied with purchase and returned.

https://www.garryvacuum.com/order_form.html?country=CA

Comments?

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jun 4, 2009 by CarmineD
Replies: 51 - 60 of 96Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
TinkMomZ

Re: Garry Ultra Light Upright Vacuum
Reply #51   Dec 16, 2009 8:47 pm
Also, in their commercial. they show the Oreck Gold vs Dyson vs Garry vac. All of the comparisons are skewed (of course) for Garry. Why did they not have an example of the Oreck when emptying the bag? Why was it stated in parethenses about the weight being for the upright & canister? I know Oreck has it's faults, but after having used many other vacuums, I know it's worth saiting for Oreck to have their "sales". No vacuum is gonna be perfect, but how can you argue with warrantys that last from 1-21 years? There IS an Oreck and a payment plan for ANYONE. I'm disgusted by all the false claims Garry has made about Oreck and Dyson... and I don't even like Dyson. I would never give my CC # for automatic payments for "Free bags for life" that cost more than BUYING bags is from Oreck. Ugh!!! Vacuuming is supposed to be my peaceful time!!

cjnyusa wrote:

Well, the TV infomercial for Garry Ultra Light vacuum cleaner say they have approval from "The Carpet and Rug Institute"

When looking at the website of "The Carpet and Rug Institute" to get a list of their "Seal of Approval Products"

http://www.carpet-rug.org/commercial-customers/cleaning-and-maintenance/seal-of-approval-products/index.cfm

You won't find any mention of this product in any of the categories. That's a little strange huh?

Also, Google "Garry Vaccum Cleaner" and you won't find any web sites that provide any reviews for this product....also a little strange eh? (for a such a supposedly great product....you would expect to see some great reviews somewhere on the web, right?)

The only thing I can find on the web is one very poor review at consumer reports:

http://discussions.consumerreports.org/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=1&nav=messages&webtag=cr-vaccuums&tid=152

I'm left thinking that this product is most likely a piece of garbage being touted as a cheap alternative to Oreck and Dyson, with the consumer being left to realize after the event that "Yes, it was too good to be true after all"

The sales tactics also seem a little dubious to say the least, no pricing, claims of "free bags", replacement unit with no questions if it ever goes wrong or gets damaged, but then when visiting their website, you see their warranty details which seem to contradict their advertising claims:

Limited Lifetime
Zero Maintenance Warranty

Your Garry™ vacuum is warranted to be free from defects in materials and
workmanship for five years from the original purchase date [or for the lifetime
of the original purchaser]. Should the product have a defect in materials or
workmanship, we will repair or replace it with no charge to you (a shipping and
processing fee will apply).
(Note that NO performance guarantee according to the claims in their advertising is included)

We will also provide you with unlimited Garry™
hypo-allergenic bags for life without charge to you (a shipping and processing
fee will apply).
To obtain service under warranty or to obtain Garry™
hypo-allergenic bags, simply call our customer service center toll-free at
888-544-3729. This warranty does not cover damage caused by accident,
misuse or any use other than as intended and described in the product
manual,
(seemingly different than described in their infomercial which states that no matter what, "no questions asked", a replacement vacuum will be supplied free of charge) or damage resulting from failure to maintain and clean this product
as specified in this product manual. This warranty does not apply if the
product is used in a commercial or rental application.
This warranty applies
only to the original purchaser of the Garry™ vacuum. In the event that the
current model of the Garry™ vacuum is discontinued, we reserve the right
to replace it with another vacuum. In order to obtain a replacement vacuum,
you will be required to return your damaged Garry™ vacuum to the
manufacturer. This warranty is valid only if you retain proof of purchase
from a Garry™ authorized dealer for this product
. To be certain that your
warranty claim can be processed as quickly and efficiently as possible,
please mail in the warranty card provided with your new Garry™ vacuum.
You may also register on our website at www.GarryVac.com .

Generally speaking of course you do tend to get what you pay for, and from what I can ascertain from other's comments online, this product would appear to perform substantially less than the sellers claims.

It will be interesting to see if (in time) this product receives any decent reviews from "real consumers" but until then I have serious doubts about this product and it's provenance as a real quality product.

CarmineD

Reply #52   Dec 17, 2009 6:52 am
While I understand the slick TV marketing to sell, I had a problem with the company's use of the CRI when it was not on the CRI site.  This was a biggie for me.  Of course, Garry got around this by stating that its machine was still in the queue for testing for the CRI seal and it expects approval.  Stretching the truth?  Overly optimistic?  Either way Garry got the CRI approval seal: Silver Category.  A huge selling point for buyers/users.  Much to Garry's credit.  So Garry is in good company.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Dec 17, 2009 by CarmineD
Lucky1

Reply #53   Dec 17, 2009 3:31 pm
Anyone considering a Lightweight owes it to themselves to try the Simplicity Freedom series. Outstanding vacuum and even better company.
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #54   Dec 17, 2009 10:26 pm
It's well worth paying a little more and buying from a reputable company like Oreck/Simplicity/Riccar than to buy a Gary.     I wonder if Gary is suffering from a cash flow problem, and is thus unable to make the refunds that it should be making.  It's tough to take on an established product like Oreck.   

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
CarmineD

Reply #55   Dec 18, 2009 7:03 am
Lucky1 wrote:
Anyone considering a Lightweight owes it to themselves to try the Simplicity Freedom series. Outstanding vacuum and even better company.

Severus wrote:

It's well worth paying a little more and buying from a reputable company like Oreck/Simplicity/Riccar than to buy a Gary.     I wonder if Gary is suffering from a cash flow problem, and is thus unable to make the refunds that it should be making.  It's tough to take on an established product like Oreck.   

Both RICCAR/SIMPLICITY lightweights are awarded the CRI seal also, like ORECK and Garry.  While they give ORECK comparable competition, consumers are more familiar with ORECK's thanks to Dave and his vacuum advertising presence. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Dec 18, 2009 by CarmineD
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #56   Dec 18, 2009 10:27 am
Carmine,

The Garry may be a decent concept, but it's tough for an upstart to take to succeed, particularly when it doesn't do well in Consumer Reports testing.    I wonder how it compares to a Dirt Devil Featherlite or Hoover?  Because Oreck has the ability to charge a premium for their products, they have the deep pockets to allow generous return policies.  

If the Garry were sold at El Big Bog Store, you could at least return it without being stuck with paying the shipping and handling charge twice. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Venson

Reply #57   Dec 18, 2009 12:21 pm
Severus wrote:
Carmine,

The Garry may be a decent concept, but it's tough for an upstart to take to succeed, particularly when it doesn't do well in Consumer Reports testing.    I wonder how it compares to a Dirt Devil Featherlite or Hoover?  Because Oreck has the ability to charge a premium for their products, they have the deep pockets to allow generous return policies.  

If the Garry were sold at El Big Bog Store, you could at least return it without being stuck with paying the shipping and handling charge twice. 

Hi Severus,

Due to the shoddiness of the product, I still strongly feel it was the never the intention of the Garry's makers to make good on making good easy.

This is a vac that is cheap to make or acquire and banking on the "one's born every day' factor I think Garry probably anticipated a nice piece of change coming its way. I am not prone to sweat it for long in regard to purchases of $100 or less. I of course have followed through to gain whatever satisfaction may be due and conveniently accessible to me as regards disputes about such purchases. Yet, I have had to learn to grin and bear. A hundred dollars is considered as being no money at all in present times. A hundred dollars probably by equivalent represents the cost of the $39.95 miracles we thought were great back in the 1960s and 70s.

Cheating the public, no matter the price, by no means is good or decent but that is what I believe Garry set out to do and has done. I believe it so much that I'd bet money on it.

How many people are going to raise a fuss for long about something that only cost a hundred dollars or so? How many people are going to bother with even considering paying fifty bucks to ship a cheap vacuum back to its maker for repair? If it can't be fixed locally and cheaply the obvious end to the story takes place at the town dump. The guys in business who know stats and numbers know that and in this case banked on it.

Sadly, Garry's accomplice has been the victim. People thought they'd come across an opportunity to beat the market but were absolutely wrong in their anticipations.

I am not a great fan of Oreck but I think even a refurb of that brand will probably outlast a brand new Garry any day. My best advice to the public is to think longer before investing in cheap product claimed to outdo higher priced gizmos especially from companies that promise, "I'm gonna give you, and give you and give you . . ." What they usually end up giving you is the shaft. Best, Venson
Severus

Reply #58   Dec 18, 2009 12:28 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi Severus,

Due to the shoddiness of the product, I still strongly feel it was the never the intention of the Garry's makers to make good on making good easy.

This is a vac that is cheap to make or acquire and banking on the "one's born every day' factor I think Garry probably anticipated a nice piece of change coming its way. I am not prone to sweat it for long in regard to purchases of $100 or less. I of course have followed through to gain whatever satisfaction may be due and conveniently accessible to me as regards disputes about such purchases. Yet, I have had to learn to grin and bear. A hundred dollars is considered as being no money at all in present times. A hundred dollars probably by equivalent represents the cost of the $39.95 miracles we thought were great back in the 1960s and 70s.

Cheating the public, no matter the price, by no means is good or decent but that is what I believe Garry set out to do and has done. I believe it so much that I'd bet money on it.

How many people are going to raise a fuss for long about something that only cost a hundred dollars or so? How many people are going to bother with even considering paying fifty bucks to ship a cheap vacuum back to its maker for repair? If it can't be fixed locally and cheaply the obvious end to the story takes place at the town dump. The guys in business who know stats and numbers know that and in this case banked on it.

Sadly, Garry's accomplice has been the victim. People thought they'd come across an opportunity to beat the market but were absolutely wrong in their anticipations.

I am not a great fan of Oreck but I think even a refurb of that brand will probably outlast a brand new Garry any day. My best advice to the public is to think longer before investing in cheap product claimed to outdo higher priced gizmos especially from companies that promise, "I'm gonna give you, and give you and give you . . ." What they usually end up giving you is the shaft. Best, Venson

Although Dustmite will accuse you and/or I of talking to ourselves, bravo.    Everyone wants a bargain.  The early pleated filter bagless vacuums were sold with a similar con - no bags to buy ever.  You just buy a filter that costs as much as a year's supply of bags. 

mole

Reply #59   Dec 18, 2009 1:04 pm
Hi Venson

You bring a very  good argument to the table. Why cant companies, people just do the right things today. This will backfire on them it usually does just for some it takes longer.

But as you know there are still companies that are strait shooters out there but unfortunatly ALL dealers, distributors, owners,  get lumped into the same group, It must be the New way of doing business today. The machines dont cause the problems  Its the people behind it.

stay well

MOLE

CarmineD

Reply #60   Dec 19, 2009 6:46 am
Garry has options if the sales wane.  Dropping price.  Big box venue.  Buyout [recall halo].  Finally, better product making.  See what happens.  Certainly, with its price and presentation it should withstand the current market and economy.  BTW, the testimonials are adding up on its Web Site.  Of course only the best are provided.  Still interesting to read if one has the time.

Carmine D.

Replies: 51 - 60 of 96Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42