Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > "What has dyson invented now?"

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
ArtieV1

"What has dyson invented now?"
Original Message   Oct 11, 2009 11:23 pm
I received this "teaser email today: http://links.mkt2388.com/ctt?kn=1&m=2735925&r=MTgwOTM1MTgzMTcS1&b=0&j=NzgxMTAyODMS1&mt=1&rt=0
Anyone know what's up with this??

-=Art=-
Replies: 214 - 223 of 254Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
DysonInventsBig

Re: "What has dyson invented now?"
Reply #214   Dec 9, 2009 2:31 pm
Trebor wrote:
Carmine and DIB,

Forget about Mole, you two need to be in time out.

As to the lawsuit against Amway, I knew about that, perfectly justified.  I was unaware that it related to IONA.  Against Hoover UK, I would say the same.  When you get into peeing contests over advertising claims, it is always shaky ground, and the wind can blow either way, as James found out in the litigation over the "ballbarrow" name.  Those sorts of things aside, there is the matter of the engineering student, who lost on a 'technicality'.  I'd like to know about that one before passing judgment.
If he really was wronged on a mere technicality, then it was one of Sir James less-than-stellar moments.  But the law has to have lines of demarcation, and sometimes the spirit of the law is trampled by the letter, hopefully not too often.  As to the matter of using patents which have expired, IT IS NOT STEALING!  What theft are you referring to, DIB?  The law is the law, and since patents are unlike copyrights which are renewable, they have time limits, and once the time is up, they are public domain.  Think what you will, but it is what it is.  But please stop accusing manufacturers of theft.  If they were stealing, Sir James has proven he has what it takes to sue and to win. If you meant something else, please explain, DIB. But you really hurt your case for being considered rational when you insist on repeating accusation which are not true.  If you guys are intent on taking moral potshots at each other, you shouldn't cry 'foul' when the other makes a hit.

DIB, I was referring to the original Fantom, the one later called the Thunder. It was the best.  A motor with a little more suck, a larger diameter hose and wand, a little easier to push, and the multi-cyclone, bottom empty dustbin, and viola, an vacuum ahead of its time even today.  DIB, what do you have to say about the wiring harness in the dirt tube on the DC25? And the problematic clutch in the DC07 and 14? 

Let's not forget 8,000 Dyson vacuums find their way into American homes each and every day, and it shows no sign of abating. Dyson has to continue winning an increasing share of the market to sustain that figure, however. The vacuum buying market has yet to decide what the least acceptable life-cycle is for a 300.00 to 500.00 vacuum. That is everything. If is say, 5 years, and people are repeat Dyson buyers, then Dyson's future is secure. If not, something has to change, reliability/longevity must go up, or prices must come down, or both. The market rules.

Trebor

Trebor,

Glad you liked he heavier, clumsier and better picker-upper and better filtering Fantom.  Although the big money (I believe) was in the lighter Fury’s.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...using expired patents is not theft.  If you go back and re-read my words I said "robbed" not theft.  Robbing comes in may forms...  James Dyson and his family and team were robbed when Amway led them on, wasted their time and money and demanded their up-front monies returned.  James Dyson and his family and team were robbed when Iona pounced and used this Amway theft as an opportunity to [demand] a lower royalty payment.  I can go on and on.  Below is a side by side comparison demonstrating how Hoover UK Robbed Dyson LTD and their creativity.  Hoover UK copied the DC24 commercial (robbed) down to the same/near same furniture, color of furniture, woman's dress, color of dress, shoes, camera angle, etc.  Hoover UK is attempting to rob and dupe the public into thinking their pile of junk (cannot really turn) swivel upright is on par with Dyson Ball vacuums.

I do not get going to bat for losers...  I do not get you.   Although you provide good banter.

Dyson Invents Big

< Hoover UK’s masterstroke - which only followed Dyson's The Ball and Slim's success.

< Chinese owned VAX’s masterstroke - which only followed Dyson's DC11's success.
This message was modified Dec 9, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

vacmanuk

Reply #215   Dec 9, 2009 2:49 pm
Well if you're going to go down the road of copying, Sebo's upright in the 1970s was the first on the market with a wand and hose located at the back. I dont see many moaning about that! Anyway for me, here are the points of both Sebo and Miele uprights. Miele S7 Luxurious, very easy to operate and has a long pipe at the back with a lightweight telescopic height adjustable suction pipes. Then there's the handy suction control either with rotary dial movement or the digital panel types. Very easy to locate and to generally clean with. It is Germany's most expensive DOMESTIC upright vacuum cleaner and Sebo are not worried at all about Miele snatching sales. The difference is that Sebo are first and foremost a commerical vacuum cleaner company and Miele have never shown much interest in this area. However I found the S7 too large and bulky around my home particularly in view of the swivel neck. Miele admitted initially that the S7 was designed for the UK but unless you live in a mansion it can be difficult to get around with the S7's size in general UK homes. Sebo X series Smaller and more compact than the S7, the blue print for Sebo's X design is to make everything as accessible and automatic as the last X1 Automatic model which that model was simple to use and simple to clean. Therefore the wand at the back is supposed to be light, just as light as the tubes are on the K series and much lighter than the pipes/tubes that Miele offer on their cylinders. The X series is old though and Sebo are aware of it, their opinion is very much of the "if it isn't broke then don't change it," policy. The auto electronics do have some weaknesses; the sensor wheel is very sensitive to sealed floors. My own recent X1.1 seems to make this known when I go from tiled floors straight to carpet as the computer tells me there is a problem and the head doesn't rise when going onto carpet. Upon calling Sebo UK they admitted that this could happen as the central sensor wheel is so sensitive it can't tell the thickness or thinness when travelling over grout seals. On raised tiled floors, Sebo's X model also suffers but then again it isn't marketed as a tile / hard floor vacuum and thanks to lifestyle changes and fashion as it has been dictated with laminate flooring, more and more consumers are expecting vacuums to go with the times. Another issue that the X has is a weakness to its left hand side where the fly wheel is located where the brush slips on. It doesn't have edge cleaning facility on that side and the only solution is to then go for the bigger foot size X5 which has both edge cleaning sides. Sebo's X is also a great general carpet vacuum that gets on with the job efficiently. Sebo have no interest in glossing up their vacuums, adding bits here and there that could effectively go wrong early on. When asking about a headlight, Sebo have no intention of fitting one. The U.S is the ONLY country that specifies in a headlight as the rest of Europe dont generally bother and for a small company like Sebo where the European market is their biggest financial share and interest, I dont see a commercial based company putting a headlight on as being important.
CarmineD

Reply #216   Dec 9, 2009 5:09 pm
Dib-ster:

I don't see a bowling ball size wheel on the HOOVER UK upright like a DC24/25.  I see a tilting/rotating handle holder.  No copying, robbing, thieving, or imitating of dyson ball.  Just a better functioning design and application than dyson's allowing back and forth and side to side cleaning strokes with less arm, wrist and elbow strain.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #217   Dec 9, 2009 5:20 pm
 < Chinese owned VAX’s masterstroke -

which only followed Dyson's DC11's success

Surely Dib-ster you're joking.  Dyson's DC11 has the shortest running production in the USA of any vacuum in over 100 years of the industry.  Retailers couldn't give them away.  Dyson took them back for credit.

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #218   Dec 10, 2009 12:55 pm
CarmineD wrote:
 < Chinese owned VAX’s masterstroke -

which only followed Dyson's DC11's success

Surely Dib-ster you're joking.  Dyson's DC11 has the shortest running production in the USA of any vacuum in over 100 years of the industry.  Retailers couldn't give them away.  Dyson took them back for credit.

Carmine D.

Cameron,

Are you residing in Europe?  What can you report of the DC11’s European and/or non-European (non-USA) countries success or the lack of?

Last word was you were hunkering and residing in two extremes (typically)…  shiverin – ‘your rear off’ or sweating – ‘your rear off’ in the retirement Shangri-La (aka the Vegas desert).   Can you see Europe from Vegas?

Dyson Invents Big

This message was modified Dec 10, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #219   Dec 10, 2009 1:30 pm
Dib-ster:

According to your dyson facts and figures, the USA represents two thirds of the new dyson vacuum sales market.  Dyson's DC11 gets pulled from two-thirds of its new sales market in less than 9 months, never to be seen ever again.  If that is your definition of "successful" product/sales, dyson needs a better spokesperson here because you are selling fish oil to beefeaters.

Carmine D.

Lucky1

Reply #220   Dec 10, 2009 2:40 pm
advertised a new previously unthought-of dish, developed a huge following for this dish, then had some suits from Pepsi Co. eat at your place, take take-out from your place, study your ingredients and copy your dish/s... that’s all perfectly legal and so is them moving in across the street and so is them beating your pricing by 40% and after you lost your business, your home, your self esteem you’d have old-Trebor patrons eating in the Pepsi Co. store looking at your closed business saying no laws have been broken, Pepsi Co. is just giving me more value for my dollars and I’m sure Trebor and his home and his family and his kids and his kids college tuition's and his planned retirement date and ability to move to be closer to family will be just fine.  It’s just business and no laws have been broken.

Dyson Invents Big

All this rhetoric from a guy that supports putting vacuums into box stores to drive the Indies out of business. But THAT's "just business" when it suits YOUR need.
DysonInventsBig

Reply #221   Dec 10, 2009 2:56 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Dib-ster:

According to your dyson facts and figures, the USA represents two thirds of the new dyson vacuum sales market.  Dyson's DC11 gets pulled from two-thirds of its new sales market in less than 9 months, never to be seen ever again.  If that is your definition of "successful" product/sales, dyson needs a better spokesperson here because you are selling fish oil to beefeaters.

Carmine D.

Cameron,

I’m guessing TTI missed your Dyson-data harvesting (cruising malls and parking lots and talking with dealers who’ve nailed new and used Dyson’s to their floors).

Dyson Invents Big

P.S.  I do not remember stating 2/3rds.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #222   Dec 10, 2009 4:13 pm
Lucky1 wrote:

All this rhetoric from a guy that supports putting vacuums into box stores to drive the Indies out of business. But THAT's "just business" when it suits YOUR need.

No doubt your gargantuan [some] vac margins and money made sellin rubber-bands and sacks is attractive.  But I’d rather jump on the Dyson’s achieves or gets - the most attention, most free publicity, most word of mouth, most patents, most 1st to un-mined segments (ex: Dyson Ball line), most ad dollars spent (probably a U.S. record) gravy train. - But that’s just me.

Dyson Invents Big

Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #223   Dec 10, 2009 4:39 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:

No doubt your gargantuan [some] vac margins and money made sellin rubber-bands and sacks is attractive.  But I’d rather jump on the Dyson’s achieves or gets - the most attention, most free publicity, most word of mouth, most patents, most 1st to un-mined segments (ex: Dyson Ball line), most ad dollars spent (probably a U.S. record) gravy train. - But that’s just me.

Dyson Invents Big

Dustmite,

What makes you think Dyson has the most patents?   Have you got any evidence?   I seriously doubt it. 

I'm sure that Mr. Dyson appreciates your life long commitment to providing him with word of mouth advertisements.

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Replies: 214 - 223 of 254Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42