Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > "What has dyson invented now?"

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
ArtieV1

"What has dyson invented now?"
Original Message   Oct 11, 2009 11:23 pm
I received this "teaser email today: http://links.mkt2388.com/ctt?kn=1&m=2735925&r=MTgwOTM1MTgzMTcS1&b=0&j=NzgxMTAyODMS1&mt=1&rt=0
Anyone know what's up with this??

-=Art=-
Replies: 173 - 182 of 254Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: "What has dyson invented now?"
Reply #173   Dec 5, 2009 1:19 pm
Hello Trebor:

Where did Tom Gasko get the number?  If that is the foundation of your figures, and it is, I call it junk math.

Carmine D. 

PS: Trebor, here's how my junk math goes with vacuums FWIW.

I would put the number of new full size vacuum sales in the USA from April 2008 to May 2009, latest credible and complete numbers, at 20 MILLION units.  With 17-18 M as new ups and the rest new canns.  

HOOVER TTI easily has 35 plus percent of the market share. 

BISSELL 15 percent, perhaps a tad less. 

Eureka/Lux about 20 percent. 

DIRT DEVIL/Royal easily 15 percent plus. 

ORECK 10 percent or less. 

All other brands, RICCAR/SIMPLICITY, door-to-door like Aerus, KIRBY etc, and imports like dyson, MIELE, Sebo etc. account for the rest.  These are all small players in the new vacuum sales market but niche sellers that are fairly consistent year over year, unlike the above big box store brands and models. 

A reason in part RICAR/SIMPLICITY, whose products I like, are planning to build canns in the USA.  Taking a page from ORECK for USA made.  Canns are on the increase in sales in the USA.  Of the 2.5-3 M canns sold, Kenmore owns easily 25-30 percent of the market.  RICCAR/SIMPLICITY wants a share of that market and thinks the Kenmore cann market is ripe for the taking. 

I wouldn't swear to any of the above on a bible.  But I'd say these are pretty close to actuals for the time period.

As I posted to you, MIELE prints its yearly units on the Web Site: One MILLION made and shipped yearly in 2008.  It is the top seller of high end canns in Europe with 2/3 of the 1 MILLION sold there.  It too, like RICCAR/SIMPLICITY, wants more of the USA cann and even upright market.  It wants to dominate the high end vacuum market in the USA.  As MIELE succeeds and it has, and RICCAR/SIMPLICITY too, they pull sales from high price makers/sellers like quess who!! Yep, dyson.  Reason that dyson market share/net worth going down.  MIELE/RICCAR, SIMPLICITY have gone up.      And perhaps the reason Tom G. is no longer in the dyson camp and instead beds down now with RICCAR/SIMPLICITY.  Sound plausible?????

This message was modified Dec 5, 2009 by CarmineD
procare

Reply #174   Dec 5, 2009 9:22 pm
  Heard thru grapevine that Dyson might void some carpet warranties if used on the carpet. And by usage of their name no less. One company was talked about awhile back. Unigue and their wool carpets. Now there is talk by others that have synthetic fiber carpet having fiber problems after use of Dyson . Not written in stone yet just talk.
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #175   Dec 6, 2009 12:26 am
No disrespect to Tom Gasko, but given that he does not work for Dyson, I don't think he is a credible source for Dyson sales numbers.    Tom certainly knows a lot about Dyson vacuums and the technology, but I have a hard time believing that secretive Dyson is going to release sales numbers to someone working for the competition. 

I'm not saying that Dyson does it, but company's (as well as politicians) have been known to leak favorable information.  From a consumer point of view, we like to know that we're buying a popular product.   Given the rather large discounts I've seen on Dyson products recently, it's possible that Dyson is discounting vacuums to improve sales. 

What amazes me is the price of Sebo upright vacuums.  It seems like a couple years back, an x4/x5 was in the $550 price range.  I was shocked to see them selling for around $800 at some vendors.  I don't think the canisters have gone up in price quite so much. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
CarmineD

Reply #176   Dec 6, 2009 6:54 am
procare wrote:
  Heard thru grapevine that Dyson might void some carpet warranties if used on the carpet. And by usage of their name no less. One company was talked about awhile back. Unigue and their wool carpets. Now there is talk by others that have synthetic fiber carpet having fiber problems after use of Dyson . Not written in stone yet just talk.

Hello Procare:

The above is one of several reasons that many independents don't sell dysons. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #177   Dec 6, 2009 6:59 am
Severus wrote:
No disrespect to Tom Gasko, but given that he does not work for Dyson, I don't think he is a credible source for Dyson sales numbers.    Tom certainly knows a lot about Dyson vacuums and the technology, but I have a hard time believing that secretive Dyson is going to release sales numbers to someone working for the competition. 

I'm not saying that Dyson does it, but company's (as well as politicians) have been known to leak favorable information.  From a consumer point of view, we like to know that we're buying a popular product.   Given the rather large discounts I've seen on Dyson products recently, it's possible that Dyson is discounting vacuums to improve sales. 

What amazes me is the price of Sebo upright vacuums.  It seems like a couple years back, an x4/x5 was in the $550 price range.  I was shocked to see them selling for around $800 at some vendors.  I don't think the canisters have gone up in price quite so much. 

Hello SEVERUS:

Several posters here talked about marketing misques that dyson made.  Here's one and your post brought to my mind.  While all other brands, like HOOVER TTI, sold in the big box store venues, dropped prices to compete in the recession, dyson raised theirs.  Now, trying to play catch up by reducing.  The problem is that now with the devaluation of the dollar against the euro, import prices, like SEBO as you noted, have had to go up to make up for the devaluation of dollar.  Dyson is getting squeezed both ways with its pricing.  Also one of the reasons SEBO does not try harder for the USA market share.  Flunctuations in the dollar and exchanges are a business nuisance.

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #178   Dec 6, 2009 8:08 am
Actually Sebo are relatively new to the U.S market which is why they went for a commercial link merger with Windsor BEFORE they went into the U.S independently under their own name. Compared to Miele, Dyson and Hoover etc, Sebo only produce vacuum cleaners and are a relatively smaller private company.
CarmineD

Reply #179   Dec 6, 2009 8:46 am
vacmanuk wrote:
Actually Sebo are relatively new to the U.S market which is why they went for a commercial link merger with Windsor BEFORE they went into the U.S independently under their own name. Compared to Miele, Dyson and Hoover etc, Sebo only produce vacuum cleaners and are a relatively smaller private company.

From the SEBO USA Web Site:  I believe Windsor is the commercial name brand for the SEBO uprights.

Carmine D.

Company Info

Founded in 1978 by a team of German engineers, SEBO has become the largest manufacturer of high-quality commercial upright vacuum cleaners in the world. Throughout the design and manufacturing stages of its various vacuum cleaners, SEBO has focused on providing its customers the key benefits of ease-of-use, reliability, consistent cleaning effectiveness, and high filtration.

The features and durability of SEBO's vacuums naturally led to demand in the consumer market as well. Since its debut, SEBO has satisfied millions of customers around the world and become one of the most highly renowned brand names available.

SEBO America now provides these exceptional products to the American consumer market.

This message was modified Dec 6, 2009 by CarmineD
DysonInventsBig

Reply #180   Dec 6, 2009 11:56 am
DysonInventsBig wrote:
I covered my bases and you still managed to twist... so what else is new?  Then tell me ‘O most dishonest one’, name a vac-suit that comes close to paying himself anything close to what Sir James makes.  And if you choose to dodge the who's paid more than Mr. Dyson question, then tell me ‘I've got 55 years of mind-numbing vac knowledge’...  who is the smartest and/or mightiest and/or greatest visionary of all the tired vacuum-suits?

Dyson Invents Big
Patent fact and a matter of public record:  Dyson carries the tired vacuum industry.
CarmineD wrote:
dyson DiB:

You forget that Sir James sets his own yearly compensation for himself and his family members who are employees.  This pay compensation would never fly with publicly held corporations where a board of independent business directors with a majority vote of the stockholders have to approve the pay of CEO's.

Dare to compare net worth of dyson company to other company brands?   

Carmine D.

Cameron,

Hey con man, when you called me out and said my position and observation of Mr. Dyson’s wealth, wealth he made off his/his companies discoveries is [you say] “an opinion” and not belly up and back it with proof otherwise?  Well, this is just your way of saying you’re not just a lying con but a dull-witted con too.  You’re an embarrassment behind a keyboard.

Think before you 'call me out'.

Dyson Invents Big
This message was modified Dec 6, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

DysonInventsBig

Reply #181   Dec 6, 2009 12:33 pm
Severus wrote:

Google Pourno Chrome,

You’re a goof.  Tom’s numbers stand (as sighted by Trebor).   Do you know basic math?  Please account for over a $1b (plus) in Dyson sales or for the 100,000 weekly or 400,000 monthly Dyson units manufactured in Malaysia (per the Malaysian news article I posted a few weeks or so ago).

FYI – reps are always proud of their numbers and their company’s numbers.  You know full-well reps talk.  Goof!

DIB

HARDSELL

Reply #182   Dec 6, 2009 1:00 pm
CarmineD wrote:
From the SEBO USA Web Site:  I believe Windsor is the commercial name brand for the SEBO uprights.

Carmine D.

Company Info

Founded in 1978 by a team of German engineers, SEBO has become the largest manufacturer of high-quality commercial upright vacuum cleaners in the world. Throughout the design and manufacturing stages of its various vacuum cleaners, SEBO has focused on providing its customers the key benefits of ease-of-use, reliability, consistent cleaning effectiveness, and high filtration.

The features and durability of SEBO's vacuums naturally led to demand in the consumer market as well. Since its debut, SEBO has satisfied millions of customers around the world and become one of the most highly renowned brand names available.

SEBO America now provides these exceptional products to the American consumer market.

I was almost surprised that Oreck was not used in more commercial applications.  UNTIL I READ 'HIGH QUALITY'.
Replies: 173 - 182 of 254Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42