Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Man's indomitable spirit . . .

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Venson

Man's indomitable spirit . . .
Original Message   Nov 30, 2009 3:38 pm
I had a bit of laugh at this and was just going to pass it on to Carmine and MOLE but thought, "Why not share it with everyone."

The following URL leads to an eBay post. All things considered, were it I, I'd just go buy a new vacuum cleaner. However, this guy gets the "green" award for recycling.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Electrolux-Vacuum-Cleaner-Model-30-xxx-Mint_W0QQitemZ110463475430QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item19b822dee6#ht_500wt_959

Venson
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Man's indomitable spirit . . .
Reply #1   Nov 30, 2009 4:26 pm
Venson wrote:
I had a bit of laugh at this and was just going to pass it on to Carmine and MOLE but thought, "Why not share it with everyone."

The following URL leads to an eBay post. All things considered, were it I, I'd just go buy a new vacuum cleaner. However, this guy gets the "green" award for recycling.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Electrolux-Vacuum-Cleaner-Model-30-xxx-Mint_W0QQitemZ110463475430QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item19b822dee6#ht_500wt_959

Venson

Hello Venson:

I luv it!  Thanks for sharing here.

Tho I give the seller kudos and snaps for ingenuity, I frown on these changes/upgrades.  Why take a perfectly good vintage vacuum and retro fit with anachronistic conveniences/technologies just because you can?  It only diminishes the overall intrinsic value of its vacuum era.  From what I can see, the only thing this lux 30 misses is a see-thru bagless dirt bin in lieu of the cloth bag.  Obviously, the seller believes bagged is beautiful.

Carmine D.

Carmine D. 

procare

Reply #2   Nov 30, 2009 6:41 pm
Carmine,

Back when the power nozzle first came out there were a few owners of the model 30 and model 60 that asked to have their cleaner adapted to use  the P/N 1. This model 30 had a P/N 4 circa 1974. 60 year old vacuum and 35 year old power nozzle. Somebody will buy it.

Procare                             

Venson

Reply #3   Nov 30, 2009 10:02 pm
The seller put a lot of work into it I must admit but my guess is that it will sell more as an object of interest than a device for household use.

What I am curious about, since he claims the replacement motor produces twice the suction of the original, is whether he tested it for heat build-up.

The Model 30's original motor drew 535 watts and usually fared well despite unreplaced filters. Can the stronger replacement motor deal with heat build-up with an after filter in place? Without one, I pretty sure there must be noise issues.

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #4   Dec 1, 2009 7:32 am
procare wrote:
Carmine,

Back when the power nozzle first came out there were a few owners of the model 30 and model 60 that asked to have their cleaner adapted to use  the P/N 1. This model 30 had a P/N 4 circa 1974. 60 year old vacuum and 35 year old power nozzle. Somebody will buy it.

Procare                             

Hello Procare:

Back in the day, Lux 30's were my best selling rebuilt tank.  I always kept them original because everything was available to do so: bumpers, bristles, gaskets, etc.  WRT power nozzle launch in the 50's, you recall the Preco fits all power brush, I sold for $19.95 to $29.95.  With a rebuilt lux 30, that I sold for $34.95 with one year guarantee, I'd push the preco power brush too, if a customer was interested, with it for $49.95.

I recall the 30 bag converter and cordwinder.  Sold/used the later but not the former. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #5   Dec 1, 2009 8:46 am
Venson wrote:
The seller put a lot of work into it I must admit but my guess is that it will sell more as an object of interest than a device for household use.

What I am curious about, since he claims the replacement motor produces twice the suction of the original, is whether he tested it for heat build-up.

The Model 30's original motor drew 535 watts and usually fared well despite unreplaced filters. Can the stronger replacement motor deal with heat build-up with an after filter in place? Without one, I pretty sure there must be noise issues.

Venson

Hello Venson:

I was always reluctant to modify significantly from the original specs and design for the reasons you raise.  W/O the post motor filter, the noise would be more as well as the dirty exhaust.  The original 30 motor had a huge rubber bell gasket/bonnet around the motor.  The bell gasket stabilized the motor's performance during operations and muffled sound as well as diffused heat build up in the motor cavity.  Not sure about the replacement motor, just as you.  It's probably a lamb motor modified to fit with about a horse power or more of power.  During prolonged operations, especially with the P/N, it could be a scorcher in an all metal body cavity. 

Carmine D. 

Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42