Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Wood floor maintenance - do not vacuum with revolving brush on?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Wood floor maintenance - do not vacuum with revolving brush on?
Original Message   Nov 23, 2009 3:08 pm
the following article caught my eye.  (for a full disclosure, the link is not to my local paper, just one that was easily googled).

http://durantdemocrat.com/pages/full_story/push?article-Debunking+common+floor+care+misconceptions%20&id=4583399-Debunking+common+floor+care+misconceptions&instance=all

Debunking common floor care misconceptions

by ARA
(ARA) - Whether it's the dog tracking in mud or the kids carrying in dirt and leaves, there are many ways floors can become dirty and unattractive. Unfortunately, for many people the process they use to clean their wood flooring might be doing more harm than good.

"There are a lot of misconceptions about floor care that lead to premature deterioration," says Tom Sullivan, founder of Lumber Liquidators, the largest retailer of specialty hardwood flooring.

Some cleaning techniques to avoid, because they can damage hardwood flooring, are:

* Vacuuming. Contrary to the belief that vacuuming is the best way to rid wood flooring of dust and debris, it's actually harmful. The hard bristles on the rotating brush can scratch the wood, and small amounts of damage to the wood over time will make the surface look worn and uneven.

* Damp mopping. Many people think that damp mopping is a quick way to clean wood flooring, but the water in the mop causes deterioration of both the wood and the floor's finish. This increases the likelihood that the wood will warp or squeak in the future.

* Cleaning with vinegar and water. While many people clean wood flooring with a homemade mixture of vinegar and water, the acidic nature of the solution actually eats away at the wood finish. Corrosion of the wood finish detracts from its healthy appearance and increases vulnerability, making the wood more prone to wear and tear.

* Applying oil soaps. Although oil soaps are a typical way to clean wood flooring, these soaps and detergents can leave a harmful film. Eventually, this film causes the wood finish to yellow, "alligator" or crack, requiring refinishing.

Instead of using one of the above methods to clean hardwood floors, it is recommended that homeowners follow a few simple cleaning guidelines.

* Lightly sweep wood flooring with a soft-bristled broom twice a week. This is a quick and easy way to clear away debris particles so that they do not build up.

* Clean wood flooring once a week with a terry-cloth mop and a cleaner specifically made for wood flooring, like Bellawood's soy-based hardwood floor cleaner. This will get rid of the heavier dirt build-up that can cause a dull appearance.

"Soy-based products clean and shine hardwood flooring without being harsh on the finish and without producing harsh fumes that can irritate your family and pets," says Sullivan. "It doesn't take a lot of effort to give your floors the maintenance they deserve, and in doing so you'll not only improve the look of your home, but extend the lifespan of the flooring."

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
Venson

Re: Wood floor maintenance - do not vacuum with revolving brush on?
Reply #1   Nov 23, 2009 4:01 pm
Hi Severus,

This guy has an agenda which I can't figure it out but am pretty sure it's off the wall. <BR><BR>First of all, it's a given, or at least I thought so, that one turns off the brushroll on most vacuums -- unless the bristles are extremely soft and no beater bars are in play -- or uses a tool for bare flooring instead when going over wood or tile. <BR><BR>Next, the reason vacuuming is believed to be better than sweeping with a broom is because decent suction will lift the larger part of loose abrasive grit and dirt off the floor instead of pushing it around as you would with a broom. (Also less dust is set airborne.)<BR><BR>Some bare floor tools are great for this -- like the Kenmore bare floor tool as it only has a single strip that allows suction to more freely draw in loose stuff from all sides. <BR><BR>As for mopping -- since most wood floors are sealed with polyurethane, a plastic, a well-sealed floor may be gone over with a mop wrung out to nearly dry or a vapor steam cleaner without much worry over harm. <BR><BR>This guy is also off the mark by generalizing in regard how often to sweep or vacuum. The same as with carpeting -- my house not being your house -- we each should be vacuuming as necessary which may mean more for me or less for you.

The only exception I would make in all of this is for "wax finished" wood or wood flooring that has been installed using older, more traditional methods like using varnish instead of polyurethane where waxing and buffing is required.<BR><BR>Last, a good way to protect bare flooring is to place mats or rugs at entryways and high traffic ares. <BR><BR>Venson

This message was modified Nov 23, 2009 by Venson
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #2   Nov 23, 2009 4:58 pm
Venson,

The reason I pasted this article was that I thought it might be controversial.  However, this guy, Tom Sullivan, is the founder of Lumber Liquidators, so presumably he knows something about wood floors.  You're points are valid.  

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Venson

Reply #3   Nov 23, 2009 6:00 pm
Hi Severus, I was taught that you often have to your own lawyer in the working world. Thus, when I cleaned to make a living I felt it imperative to know about what I was cleaning, how to go about cleaning it and with what. There always comes a time when someone will ask why you're doing what you're doing the way you're doing it. Cleaning can appear to be a no-brainer but for housecleaners/keepers it's good to have answers ready. (And sometimes even that's no help. I had an aunt that believed her plank-style tile shouldn't be vacuumed because the vacuum would suck it up off the floor. I'd have explained it to her in depth but it was at a time when young'uns correcting their elders was frowned upon.) Mr. Sullivan may know wood but appears not to know much about vacuums -- which he should. Unless he is speaking of keeping wood flooring installed by less than the usual methods/standards currently in play his thoughts ring odd. I was amazed that he displays no awareness of what current vacuums do or don't do. Brushroll turn-off has been an issue like since forever and has been dealt with more or less by most vacuum makers whether canisters with power nozzles or uprights. I think most everybody loves the look of a good wood floor but that most of us neither have the time nor the inclination for periodic waxing, buffing or having to be overly fussy about their care. This is an issue that polyurethane is said to have reduced. You vacuum as needed hit it with a damp mop also as required and go about your business. Now that the cat's out of the bag, he'll have a hard time selling a somewhat old-fashioned idea to the public -- especially working women. That said, I have seen lack of simple things like "catch-all" mats and rugs often leads to far greater and quicker damage than vacuuming ever will. Venson
CarmineD

Reply #4   Nov 23, 2009 8:09 pm
Severus wrote:

Some cleaning techniques to avoid, because they can damage hardwood flooring, are:

* Vacuuming. Contrary to the belief that vacuuming is the best way to rid wood flooring of dust and debris, it's actually harmful. The hard bristles on the rotating brush can scratch the wood, and small amounts of damage to the wood over time will make the surface look worn and uneven.

Instead:

* Lightly sweep wood flooring with a soft-bristled broom twice a week. This is a quick and easy way to clear away debris particles so that they do not build up.

Hello SEVERUS, Venson:

Interesting article.  Given the "do" [sweep twice weekly] and "don't" [no vacuuming], the "either/or" advice is disingenuous and antiquated. 

Yes, avoid vacuuming with a hard bristle revolving brush roll that could damage floor finish.  But broom sweeping?  Better options are vacuuming with a straight suction vacuum and soft bristle floor brush;  OR straight suction stick vacuum [like the DD cruz]; OR using a lightweight upright with a revolving soft brush roller [like ORECK].  These options are quicker, better, healthier and certainly more efficient.  Especially with small family members and/or one/more pets.  Is 2 times a week broom sweeping suffcient for the latter?  Floors have nooks and crannies, joints and seams, room corners and so on.  These need daily suction vacuuming for heavy family use.  Why?  To avoid dirt build up in inconspicious places and ensure ALL dust/debris are picked up and contained for disposal [by vacuuming].   Not just moved out of sight from the open floor areas to out of sight storage places like corners, seams, under furniture and back into the room air that we breath.  Eventually, the latter accumulates back on the floor. 

As was the case when we discussed rug cleaning awhile back, floor and rug makers know their floor coverings well but not the best vacuums to clean them.  As for the case of rugs, consumers are better served deferring to vacuum industry experts when it comes to the best advice on cleaning rug/floors.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Nov 23, 2009 by CarmineD
vacmanuk

Reply #5   Nov 24, 2009 1:33 pm
For my wood floors I always apply a slightly damp cloth with a little baby oil. This ensures the actual wood has a nice sheen to it as well as a protective layer. I've used a Parquet brush on my Miele's before but Im not happy that they have rubber wheels. I've also used Sebo's wall brush and found it a lot more effective since it has a whole perimeter of soft brushes going around the floor head. I've tried the traditional broom idea many years ago but its just too sore on the back!
Lucky1

Reply #6   Nov 25, 2009 3:21 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
For my wood floors I always apply a slightly damp cloth with a little baby oil. This ensures the actual wood has a nice sheen to it as well as a protective layer. I've used a Parquet brush on my Miele's before but Im not happy that they have rubber wheels. I've also used Sebo's wall brush and found it a lot more effective since it has a whole perimeter of soft brushes going around the floor head. I've tried the traditional broom idea many years ago but its just too sore on the back!

Doesn't the Baby Oil act like a magnet for dirt???? The Miele SBB300 Floor brush doesn't have wheels, Try that one.
vacmanuk

Reply #7   Nov 25, 2009 3:56 pm
nope, not if you dillute it with water. only a drop in a 4 ltre bucket will add sheen. Dust.. phrr!
Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42