Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Oreck vs: Other Lightweight Uprights (At last a NO DYSON thread!)

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Trebor

Oreck vs: Other Lightweight Uprights (At last a NO DYSON thread!)
Original Message   Nov 12, 2009 3:34 pm
I would like to hear the experiences of owners/users of the following lightweight bagged uprights in comparison to the Orecks and each other

HOOVER PLATINUM

BISSELL, now available as Karcher, Tornado, Powerflite and MaidLight

RICCAR and SIMPLICITY

HOOVER and ROYAL clean n' light

any others I have missed/neglected to mention

with regard to deep cleaning an various carpet/floor surfaces, surface litter/pet hair pickup, bare floor cleaning, edge cleaning, cleaning under furniture (nozzle raising up or not) noise, ease of use, and cost of maintenance
Replies: 7 - 16 of 26Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
dusty

Re: Oreck vs: Other Lightweight Uprights (At last a NO DYSON thread!)
Reply #7   Nov 16, 2009 6:21 pm
I would say Oreck wins the under $300 title while the high end goes to the Riccar SL5 with it's metal agitator and lifetime belt.  One thing I have noticed with our customers is that the majority of female shoppers prefer the feel of the Riccar unit and especially the handle (SL3's and up) over the Oreck D grip.

Dusty
Trebor

Re: Oreck vs: Other Lightweight Uprights (At last a NO DYSON thread!) Oreck trumps!
Reply #8   Nov 17, 2009 12:04 am
Oreck has just introduced a new TOL  XL called ' The Pilot'  It has a swivel neck and a new double helix brush roll..
Offering upright, hand held canister, battery electrikbroom, and 12 V car vac as a package. No wonder Hoover cut their price!
retardturtle1

Re: Oreck vs: Other Lightweight Uprights (At last a NO DYSON thread!) Oreck trumps!
Reply #9   Nov 18, 2009 1:07 am
Trebor wrote:
Oreck has just introduced a new TOL  XL called ' The Pilot'  It has a swivel neck and a new double helix brush roll..
Offering upright, hand held canister, battery electrikbroom, and 12 V car vac as a package. No wonder Hoover cut their price!

I like the platinum pilot...nice...but even with the extras its overpriced...even if it is an oreck. I like the $300 oreck set up...great bang for the buck with many years of service life.....some really great  upright vacs with a long life are availiable at or under $300.....seems like a good place to start looking...in my view.

turtle1

retardturtle1

Reply #10   Nov 18, 2009 1:18 am
dusty wrote:
I would say Oreck wins the under $300 title while the high end goes to the Riccar SL5 with it's metal agitator and lifetime belt.  One thing I have noticed with our customers is that the majority of female shoppers prefer the feel of the Riccar unit and especially the handle (SL3's and up) over the Oreck D grip.

Dusty

I totally agree on your sl-5 views.....i only wish it [ sl-3 -sl-5 ] had a metal handle shaft like the orecks.....that to me would make it the champ overall...or at least pretty darn hard to beat.

turtle1

Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #11   Nov 18, 2009 10:29 am
There are other lightweights worth considering:
Sanitaire SC9050 DuraLite Lightweight Commercial Vacuum Cleaner at 10 pounds.

For what it's worth, Dyson does offer a lightweight vacuum as well. The performance was middling in Consumer Reports, but I mention it because they tend to have fairly positive user reviews.

Although canister vacuums tend to weigh more overall, I'm not sure that they wouldn't be a better option for someone wanting a lightweight vacuum. Certainly with some you feel like you're dragging along a dead pig. However, most of the time, you're just pushing the power nozzle with the canister parked. My mother in law who's in her 70's uses a 20+ year old Rainbow. While it would be heavy to carry everything at once full of water, in practice you don't. The canister rolls, and you only push the powerhead and the hose. Dragging along the canister might be a drag, but in general it sits while you move the power nozzle.

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Venson

Reply #12   Nov 19, 2009 11:46 am
Severus wrote:
. . . . Although canister vacuums tend to weigh more overall, I'm not sure that they wouldn't be a better option for someone wanting a lightweight vacuum. . . .

Hi Severus,

A lot has to do with whomever's preferred manner of cleaning. I think a well-designed canister vacuum not only handles floors well but makes tasks like stair cleaning a lot simpler and also eliminates the need and expense of two devices if you want to do more than just floors. (Hoover and Oreck lightweights provide enough oomph for carpet and bare floor cleaning but offer small portables to take up the slack above the floor.) However, a vacuum really has to fit the user's personal likes if it is to be regularly employed. For housekeepers accustomed to handling above the floor work like dusting, etc., by hand, a lightweight upright is probably a good deal.

Venson
retardturtle1

Reply #13   Nov 20, 2009 1:53 pm
Severus wrote:
There are other lightweights worth considering:
Sanitaire SC9050 DuraLite Lightweight Commercial Vacuum Cleaner at 10 pounds.

For what it's worth, Dyson does offer a lightweight vacuum as well. The performance was middling in Consumer Reports, but I mention it because they tend to have fairly positive user reviews.

Although canister vacuums tend to weigh more overall, I'm not sure that they wouldn't be a better option for someone wanting a lightweight vacuum. Certainly with some you feel like you're dragging along a dead pig. However, most of the time, you're just pushing the power nozzle with the canister parked. My mother in law who's in her 70's uses a 20+ year old Rainbow. While it would be heavy to carry everything at once full of water, in practice you don't. The canister rolls, and you only push the powerhead and the hose. Dragging along the canister might be a drag, but in general it sits while you move the power nozzle.

Totally forgot about the 9050.....ive yet to run across one....and havent heard anything on how it performs. wonder if its durability is on par with its comm. red line  big brothers tho? Anybody have a chance to test or use one yet?

turtle1

tomtlb66

Reply #14   Apr 23, 2010 11:19 am
Well, I have been in the vacuum business for awhile now. I have sold my share of lightweights. As far as power and cleaning capability, Riccar outperforms any Oreck. Oreck only cleans the surface, it does not do a deep cleaning as the Riccar. We sell alot more Riccars than Oreck
CarmineD

Reply #15   Apr 23, 2010 12:32 pm
tomtlb66 wrote:
Well, I have been in the vacuum business for awhile now. I have sold my share of lightweights. As far as power and cleaning capability, Riccar outperforms any Oreck. Oreck only cleans the surface, it does not do a deep cleaning as the Riccar. We sell alot more Riccars than Oreck

I hear this often as a selling point for RICCAR/SIMPLICITY lightweight uprights.  Consumer Reports rates RICCAR/SIMPLICITY lightweight models over ORECK, but not by much of a difference, in fact very close in comparative tests.  Explain please, if you will, the reasons that the RICCAR Supralite deep cleans carpets better than ORECK which you say is a surface cleaner.  What gives the RICCAR the edge as a deep cleaner vice ORECK as just a surface cleaner.  In features and performance?

Carmine D.

Lucky1

Reply #16   Apr 23, 2010 4:49 pm
CarmineD wrote:
I hear this often as a selling point for RICCAR/SIMPLICITY lightweight uprights.  Consumer Reports rates RICCAR/SIMPLICITY lightweight models over ORECK, but not by much of a difference, in fact very close in comparative tests.  Explain please, if you will, the reasons that the RICCAR Supralite deep cleans carpets better than ORECK which you say is a surface cleaner.  What gives the RICCAR the edge as a deep cleaner vice ORECK as just a surface cleaner.  In features and performance?

Carmine D.

1. Bigger motor Fan 2. Stiffer Brush Roll. Not only a deeper clean but actually vibrates the dirt up from the carpet and MUCH easier to push than an Oreck 3. Long lasting Belts (One version even has a Hall Sensor that shuts off the brushroll, virtually giving the machine a lifetime belt). Oreck belts should be replaced 6-8 months to ensure optimum efficency. 4. The Aluminum Handle Orecks almost always loosen at the screws making the handle sloppy and harder to control.
Replies: 7 - 16 of 26Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42