Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Jimmy Dyson does try hard . . .

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Venson

Jimmy Dyson does try hard . . .
Original Message   Oct 21, 2009 6:59 pm
Lordy, lord ol' Jimmy D's cryin' again. He has instigated the banning of Miele S7 adverts . . .

http://www.which.co.uk/news/2009/10/miele-ads-banned-for-vacuum-cleaner-claims-186889.jsp

Venson
Replies: 86 - 95 of 103Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Venson

Re: Jimmy Dyson does try hard . . .
Reply #86   Nov 9, 2009 4:18 pm
Trebor wrote:
Venson,</p><p>Maybe you are in better shape than I, but I thought the S7 was rather hefty. Of course I am used to a Tech Drive Kirby</p><p>Trebor

Trebor,

I have a G5 tucked away somewhere thus I'm well aware of weight issues. Anyway, I'm used to full-size vacuums since way back and am kind of glad. You can't imagine all the money I've saved on gym memberships.

Best,

Venson
vacmanuk

Reply #87   Nov 9, 2009 9:01 pm
For those into the Vax stuff, I just bought their latest Mach Air model today. I've been hankering after something to replace my Quicklite upright for some time (U.S Dirt Devil Dynammite) and at a reduced cost of £123 I may have got a bargain. However it is not all it is cracked up to be and Dyson will NOT have to worry. New review soon!
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #88   Nov 10, 2009 2:41 pm
Venson wrote:
Trebor,

I have a G5 tucked away somewhere thus I'm well aware of weight issues. Anyway, I'm used to full-size vacuums since way back and am kind of glad. You can't imagine all the money I've saved on gym memberships.

Best,

Venson

The Miele's lowest subscore was for handling.  There were 3 user ratings (2 by same person).  The one who posted twice said that the brush roll stalled out on her carpeting.  Presumably she had the suction on high rather than auto.  She is requesting a refund. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Venson

Reply #89   Nov 10, 2009 7:19 pm
Severus wrote:
The Miele's lowest subscore was for handling.  There were 3 user ratings (2 by same person).  The one who posted twice said that the brush roll stalled out on her carpeting.  Presumably she had the suction on high rather than auto.  She is requesting a refund. 

Hi Severus,

Can't speak for the rest of the world but my S7 does and has been doing what I need without problem. As I've mentioned, I'm a rural clod come from a background where you had what you had. We had an electric pump to deliver well water but also a hand pump that we used if it failed and we also knew how to prime it during cold winters if and when things froze up. Life went on.

Thus when it comes to vacuums, the steering feature is a "nicety" not a necessity as far as I'm concerned. Lots of things influence my reason for purchase but, bottom line, what I care about is whether what I buy cleans well. I have used standard uprights for years, meaning the Kirbys, heavy old Hoovers and Eurekas -- you name it. Changing direction with a standard upright has never been a problem for me and making acute turns only meant a push down on the handle to bring up the front end and pivot the cleaner on its back wheels. If that's all tragedy was I'd be very glad.

Although it's not a canister vac, using the wand and hose, I can work my way up or down steps with it with relative ease. Also, it has yet to present a problem regarding stalling. Any gripes I have are related to price and that the cleaner's internal parts are not easily accessible to or serviceable by the average owner. The nozzle plate does not clip on but requires a special screwdriver to undo it. If I ever experience belt failure it means a trip to the shop as far as I can see.

I am not dismissive of the overall issue of vacuum weight and maneuverability but considering the times and our economic situation I am often given to wondering over what people are going to do if things really get difficult and/or -- less convenient.

Best,

Venson
vacmanuk

Reply #90   Nov 10, 2009 7:43 pm
Venson, I really liked the S7 when I trialled it but in the UK I found it a bit too big. However I do stand by and say it is a better upright than most on the market.
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #91   Nov 10, 2009 9:15 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi Severus,

Can't speak for the rest of the world but my S7 does and has been doing what I need without problem. As I've mentioned, I'm a rural clod come from a background where you had what you had. We had an electric pump to deliver well water but also a hand pump that we used if it failed and we also knew how to prime it during cold winters if and when things froze up. Life went on.

Thus when it comes to vacuums, the steering feature is a "nicety" not a necessity as far as I'm concerned. Lots of things influence my reason for purchase but, bottom line, what I care about is whether what I buy cleans well. I have used standard uprights for years, meaning the Kirbys, heavy old Hoovers and Eurekas -- you name it. Changing direction with a standard upright has never been a problem for me and making acute turns only meant a push down on the handle to bring up the front end and pivot the cleaner on its back wheels. If that's all tragedy was I'd be very glad.

Although it's not a canister vac, using the wand and hose, I can work my way up or down steps with it with relative ease. Also, it has yet to present a problem regarding stalling. Any gripes I have are related to price and that the cleaner's internal parts are not easily accessible to or serviceable by the average owner. The nozzle plate does not clip on but requires a special screwdriver to undo it. If I ever experience belt failure it means a trip to the shop as far as I can see.

I am not dismissive of the overall issue of vacuum weight and maneuverability but considering the times and our economic situation I am often given to wondering over what people are going to do if things really get difficult and/or -- less convenient.

Best,

Venson

As a Royal Powercast user, I too don't mind a hefty vacuum. It's the price to pay for superior performance.

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Venson

Reply #92   Nov 11, 2009 3:53 am
Severus wrote:
As a Royal Powercast user, I too don't mind a hefty vacuum. It's the price to pay for superior performance.

Believe it or not I've got one of those tucked away too.

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #93   Nov 12, 2009 6:54 am
Severus wrote:
Venson wrote:
Believe it or not I've got one of those tucked away too.

Venson

Excellent vacuum.  Died an ignominious death due the weight.  I used one for a week around the house in Virginia.  Built like a tank.  Provide years of service with little TLC.  But heavy.  My dear Wife loathed it.  But jumped for the ORECK instead.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Nov 12, 2009 by CarmineD
DysonInventsBig

Reply #94   Nov 12, 2009 12:40 pm
mole wrote:
Trust me these reliability ratings are B.S. Having serviced every vacuum cleaner known to mankind, New or old American iron Euro plastic, orient express  almost throw aways.

I have a kirby legend 2 small head, a  D80 , that are trailer queens They are in mint condition and work propely, would that figure into cr ratings if i gave them that data on their surveys?

Because the BOZOS at Cr are clueless about what these models are or their ages.

Whats to say that the Dyson propaganda machine has not infiltrated CR with bogus surveys like they baraged the msn, and internet review sites.Like i said its all B.S.

O.K. dib show me what you got to rebuke my statements.

B.T.W its nice to see gasko on the forum again,at least he's got a clue on whats really going on with dyson.

REGARDS

MOLE

Mole,
It’s your position…the prototype Dyson DC07 running hard for 10 years is unimpressive.  But is it not also your position and obligation to bad-mouth the competition at every step and at every corner?  Lets see…when James Dyson launched the DC07 and backed it by a two year warranty – the competition said the Dyson ain’t no good.  When James Dyson answered the price-to-warranty value criticism and padded the warranty by three more years (and other mfgs. followed), bringing the warranty to 5 years – the competition said the Dyson ain’t no good.  Now when it’s learned Tom had a looks-like, works-like DC07 prototype two years prior to the U.S. launch and ran this “No bags to buy-No Loss of Suction” vacuum for 10 years and ran it hard – the competition rhetoric continues to be…the Dyson ain’t no good.  Is that about right?

DIB
This message was modified Nov 12, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #95   Nov 12, 2009 1:10 pm
dyson DiB:

Dyson offered a 2 year warranty, not 3, on full size vacuums up to Aug 15, 2006 when it extended to 5 years.  Which? magazine rated dysons worse in reliability for 8 consecutive years until dyson extended its warranty to 5 years.  Which? did an about face and began recommending dysons, in large part according to its own account, because of the 5 year warranty. 

BTW, dyson handhelds were/are still 2 years on warranty, tho battery packs, I believe, are excluded.

The Royal powercast mentioned above came with a 6 year motor [free parts and labor] warranty.  Actually had the start date for the warranty stamped on the serial number plate. 

Carmine D.

Replies: 86 - 95 of 103Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42