Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > New Miele S2 Canisters

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Trebor

New Miele S2 Canisters
Original Message   Oct 26, 2009 9:25 pm
I test drove the new Mieles today.

They are very lightweight, but have a 7yr warranty on the plastic housing as well as the Vortex motor. The come with the 217 power nozzle. No upgrade to the 236, you simply buy it in addition if you want it. The telescoping wand is a bit thicker, I presume to accomodate the thicker handle grip. Small tools mount at the machine end of the hose, and it has a pigtail connect. 100% made in Germany, The 514, the Cat and Dog and the 251 are being retired, as I presume the Natural is since it is the same body style as the 251. Quiet, powerful, manueverable, lightweight. With HEPA filter and twister neck floor brush $599.00 and bright red!  Who could ask for anything more?  The Panasonic looking uprights are being retired also. Miele will be streamlined to 5 body styles, S7, S5, S4, S3, and the Universal stick uprights, unless they add something else.

I like it very much. All the basic power and solid engineering with no fancy electronics. It is nimble, as one would expect. The power is so strong it must be dialed back on anything but the thickest carpet, or the nozzle is simply too tiring to push.  A definite winner, and at a very reasonable cost for the quality and durabilty

This message was modified Oct 26, 2009 by Trebor
Replies: 10 - 19 of 19Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Lucky1

Re: New Miele S2 Canisters
Reply #10   Nov 11, 2009 3:13 pm
Trebor wrote:
With HEPA filter and twister neck floor brush $599.00 and bright red! 

My Titans did not come with the Twister Floor Brush...
Venson

Reply #11   Nov 11, 2009 4:02 pm
Trebor wrote:
I heard today that Miele is going to discontinue the S4 series in favor of the S2, which weigh the same, but offer the option of a P/N.  Anyone know anything about this?

Hi Trebor,

The following link is to the Miele product list for canisters sold stateside. It makes note of new models and those that have been retired.

http://miele.com/products/models.asp?nav=30&snav=24&tnav=26&oT=27&cat=1&subcat=1&menu_id=5

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #12   Nov 11, 2009 5:01 pm
RAD1 wrote:
Also, you can get a Miele S2 Delphi model for $499 - comes with a power nozzle (no floor brush or HEPA as standard)... Still a great price point. OR,  you can now even get the basic S2 model with standard floor tool for $299.
Smart move by Miele to release these...

Hello RAD1:

Agree.  MIELE offers a nice venue of compact, midsize and full size canns from standard to deluxe.  MIELE wants to dominate the vacuum market for canns and it's moving swiftly in that direction to do so.  IMMER BESSER.

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #13   Nov 13, 2009 9:20 pm
Well I don't know about the U.S but certainly in the U.K the S2 series replaces the old S380/S381 that is sold at certain department stores and isn't a direct replacement for the S4; both models lack the integral tool storer built into the body. The S4000 range is still relatively new and Miele are keen to keep it in their range as its the compact style/small shape compared to the S2 that uses the bigger bag from the S5. The S2 has a 5.5 metre cable whereas the S5 has 6.5 metres - both now come with HEPA filters although when I trialled the S2 at the time it came with the standard Super Air clean filter. The S2 also comes with the Flexhose/hose extender which is a great idea (an additional small stretch hose that compacts up into a little holder) but adds 500 g to the overall weight. Miele are really trying to upgrade their systems but I still feel that Sebo's K series cylinder hoses and pipes are much lighter as a comparison.

Also the prices of the Miele HEPA and Active Air Clean filters here are minimal, so in theory you can still buy the old S380 and upgrade it to the same standard filter. Only downside is the smaller bag that is also used in the S4. I bought an S380/381 recently simply because of the tool storer door as the tool clip on the tubes of my S4 means tools do fly off sometimes and it can be annoying!
Trebor

Reply #14   Nov 13, 2009 9:52 pm
The S2's did not come with any extension hose in the US.  You say it stores on the unit? How about posting a pic?
vacmanuk

Reply #15   Nov 13, 2009 10:31 pm
How do I post a pic on here? Only seems to bring up a link?
vacmanuk

Reply #16   Nov 13, 2009 10:33 pm
Check it out on You Tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwD_F4Tbh2I
Venson

Reply #17   Nov 14, 2009 12:24 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Check it out on You Tube:<BR><BR>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwD_F4Tbh2I

Thanks vacmanuk. It's a great idea.

Venson
Trebor

Reply #18   Nov 15, 2009 9:19 pm
Cool! Unfortunately it won't work with an electric hose.  A Miele dealer in CA is mfg stretch hoses for Miele cans, recommended for dusting only, not floor cleaning.
I wonder if the hose in the vid is available in the US as an option.
Scott

Reply #19   Nov 16, 2009 3:29 am
The Miele accessory is the SFS10 Flexhose. It is designed for all S4 and non-electric S2 and S5 models.

The hose is available in Canada for approximately $35.00.
This message was modified Nov 16, 2009 by Scott
Replies: 10 - 19 of 19Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42