Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Electrolux Shampooer Gears

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Vernon

Electrolux Shampooer Gears
Original Message   Oct 26, 2009 11:50 am
For the older 2101 style shampooer (mainly sold in Canada), they were an all gear driven system, as opposed to the current, which is belt driven.  There is a company in the US that is making these replacement gears, as Lux no longer supplies the parts.   Does anyone know the name of this company???

Vernon
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Venson

Re: Electrolux Shampooer Gears
Reply #1   Oct 26, 2009 1:01 pm
Hi Vernon,

I don't know if this will be helpful to you or not as I am not in the industry and my access to some information is limited. However, as I had a little free time this morning I put out feelers in a place or two to see if there's anything helpful to be learned. By the way, do you need one or all three gears?

I spoke to a place out west who claimed to have all sorts of Lux stuff to no success. The proprietor said he knew the parts but that, to his knowledge, they were no longer available and knew of no one who made them. His suggestion was to look for an equivalent model -- which he says he has on hand for three or four hundred dollars. Way too high a price considering age I think. However, do an "Electrolux shampooer" search on eBay if you're of a mind. There are several Lux shampooers there and one is a B8.

Can't say if it's true or not, but the first gentleman I spoke with also claimed that the belt-driven models, $800 new, are less prone to problems than the gear-driven.

Besides him, I'm waiting for a buzz and/or email from a couple of Lux dealers here in the east.

Best,

Venson
Venson

Reply #2   Oct 26, 2009 1:36 pm
Hey Vernon,

Just got a call back. It's suggested that your chances are better if you call a dealer in Canada. I'm sure you know this but two gears are the same and one, the drive gears is different. The guy I spoke with gave the part numbers as 3660 and 3661. Unfortunately, he could not say which number was for the drive gear or the two others.

Venson
Venson

Reply #3   Oct 26, 2009 1:46 pm
Hi again Vernon,

Here you go! Call this number -- (416) 665-6970. It is for an Aerus/Electrolux dealership in Ontario, Canada. They know the parts and happen to have them on order. They price at $60 each.

Hope that helps . . .

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #4   Oct 26, 2009 4:29 pm
Hi Venson:

Nice work. 

Vernon:

How do you like the Lux shampooer?  3 Brush, right?

Carmine D.

Vernon

Reply #5   Oct 27, 2009 9:26 pm
Venson,

All the leg work you did on this, it must have felt as if you were running a marathon!!  Thanks!!

Lux can still supply the single gear at the rear, but the two front ones are no longer serviced.  The problem here is that the front gears are not made from the same material like the rear one.  (less durable) 

In regards to durability, I feel that this model is more reliable than the belt driven one.  The main problem is that with age, the plastic gears become brittle.  Whereas the belt driven model does not have this problem, but when the transmission starts to leak on this version, you have to replace the whole motor and transmission assembly.  A big expense.

I was hoping that I might stumble onto the "jobber" that is making these replacement gears in the US.  A lot of times, I have purchased the same product in the US for about 1/2 the price I would pay in Canada. 

Carmine,

In regards to what do I think of this three brush shampooer???  I like the geared version better than the belt driven one, as on the gear driven version, the rear brush spins in the opposite direction to the front ones, thus scrubbing both sides.  It also helps to counter balance the torque steer that you get by having all brushes turning in the same direction, such as in the belt driven application.    The torque steer doesn't bother me too much as I am accustomed to using 15-17 inch single disc buffers. 

I don't use it in the typical shampooer application.  First, I pretreat the carpet with the shampooer, let it sit for 10-15 minutes, then I come over it again with the shampooer to agitate, then I extract the carpet.  I have a five gallon extractor from www.crusadermfg.com, with two, two stage motors and a 100 psi pump, with a 2400watt external heater. 

Vernon

Venson

Reply #6   Oct 27, 2009 10:01 pm
Vernon wrote:
Venson,

All the leg work you did on this, it must have felt as if you were running a marathon!!  Thanks!!

Vernon

Hi Vernon,

You're welcome but it was no big deal -- not to mention that I was happy to do it. I must say I'm impressed by your carpet cleaning technique. First shampooing then extraction. Does this promote a longer look of clean because of very effective detergent residue removal?

Venson
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42