Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > "What has dyson invented now?"

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
ArtieV1

"What has dyson invented now?"
Original Message   Oct 11, 2009 11:23 pm
I received this "teaser email today: http://links.mkt2388.com/ctt?kn=1&m=2735925&r=MTgwOTM1MTgzMTcS1&b=0&j=NzgxMTAyODMS1&mt=1&rt=0
Anyone know what's up with this??

-=Art=-
Replies: 91 - 100 of 254Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
vacmanuk

Re: "What has dyson invented now?"
Reply #91   Oct 15, 2009 7:41 pm
Cant think of a solitary fan that would be more expensive than Dyson? What about ceiling fans? In the UK the prices start at £40 and go all the way to £400. Id be interested to see what kind of power the Dyson fan has in terms of air speed/thrust, and secondly even though they don't show it, what level of dust the Dyson incurs when it is used? With bladeless technology that the eye can't see, standard fans often get dusty and end up churning the dust off the impellers back into the room. Surely those with health allergies would appreciate something like the Dyson fan, but again I'm speculating as I'm not too sure what would happen if dust builds up / or if Dyson intends to fit a filter.
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #92   Oct 15, 2009 11:20 pm
I vaguely remember an article from possibly Business week in which someone tested a Dyson DC07, a Eureka Whirlwind dual cyclonic, and a couple of other vacuums.  The author commented that when he followed the Eureka with the Dyson, that there was no noticeable dirt picked up by the Dyson.  However, when he followed the Dyson by the Eureka, the Eureka continued to pick up a lot of dirt.  I suspect it had to do with the brush roll on the Dyson.  The Dyson certainly has comparable suction and arguably a better dirt containment system; however, it had a lousy brush roll.   Dyson has a tendency to over engineer some components of his vacuums rather than using industry tried and true designs, and sometimes gets unintended consequences. 

I'm sure there will be useful applications of this fan.  For example, they may be able to incorporate these fans into the seats on bidets.  Perhaps they will create a direct air vacuum which doesn't have the problem of the debris going through the fan?   Perhaps Kirby's and Orecks will have these fans to prevent fan damage some day?  I'm still hoping for the bladeless windmill design...

procare wrote:

Carmine,

Earlier you stated that the last cleaner gets more dirt. Ther have been a few instances that I let the owner have the last vacuuming and had a clean bag or bin and they hardly pulled anything. A few times customers said they vacuumed before I came had new bag or bin and wasn't getting anything. One was a  two month old Dyson DC- 14  and one was a new Filter Queen and I really dug the dirt out and shocked the customers. Tri Star told a customer that they could clean the whole house and no one would pull anything behind them. When I went in to demo , they were still there and I beat him out. He tried everything in the book to show me and my trainee up but failed. He had a new man with him. Tried to sell her a new scratched unit and failed. Delivered a new machine next day. I told her and showed her what it would do and didn't cut the other man down. Hired the Tri Star trainee and trained him . Good honest salesman today. I tell people about the so called trick of the trade because I will always pull far more dirt after them . When I go to another area  i ask them to go behind me They hardly pull anything.

Procare

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Venson

Reply #93   Oct 16, 2009 5:48 am
vacmanuk wrote:
Cant think of a solitary fan that would be more expensive than Dyson? What about ceiling fans? In the UK the prices start at £40 and go all the way to £400. Id be interested to see what kind of power the Dyson fan has in terms of air speed/thrust, and secondly even though they don't show it, what level of dust the Dyson incurs when it is used? With bladeless technology that the eye can't see, standard fans often get dusty and end up churning the dust off the impellers back into the room. Surely those with health allergies would appreciate something like the Dyson fan, but again I'm speculating as I'm not too sure what would happen if dust builds up / or if Dyson intends to fit a filter.

Hi vacmanuk,

Ceiling fans here price more according to style. My local Home Depot carries them at varying prices as low $70 and over the $200 mark. This summer I searched for a window-mounted 20" or 22" whole house fan and the one brand and model I liked priced lowest at $188. Depending on where you looked, the price for the same thing rose as high as $400. I'll be curious to learn how they price off-season as it would seem that the first line of business is to gouge -- pardon me, I meant to say sell at what the market will bear.

Venson
DysonInventsBig

Reply #94   Oct 16, 2009 5:51 am
CarmineD wrote:
Not realy a parody as much as honesty.  Why buy a $300 10 inch fan, and/or a $330 12 inch fan when a $10 one will do just fine.  dyson has made some real foibles on the invention front.  But this has to be right up there with the dc11.  I can't imagine a single solitary fan sold at this price.  Not now.  Not ever.  Dyson will be gifting them with the purchase of vacuums after they give away all the handhelds.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Oct 16, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #95   Oct 16, 2009 7:16 am
When I first saw and commented on the wimpy dyson brush roll in a DC07 in April 2002, the pro-dyson campers raved about the high 270 air watts.  They argued the unbeaten suction power would make up the difference.  Yeah, right.  They didn't know and understand their vacuum operations.  After 9 years in the US vacuum market and for as many years as Consumer Reports telling us so, most all here, even the hard core card carrying dysoners, agree that dyson's wimpy brush bar and clutch in DC07 and 14's are a farce on US rugs and carpets.  The documented evidence is overwhelming.  SEVERUS posted some of it here as a follow up to the thread question: What has dyson invented now? Dyson finally discontinued both clutch models albeit after too many years of delay.  The refurbs will probably never go away.

Dyson's legacy to the bagless/vacuum industry will most notably be it allowed its competition to outdo it on every turn.  Air watts.  Cyclones.  Shrouds.  Dirt bin capacities.  Filters.   Even today's $100-$200 cyclonic bagless vacuums have shroud filters/screens to keep the fibrous materials from 'agglomerating'  in and clogging the cyclones.  Dyson still hasn't figured it out yet either?  Is it denial?  Maybe its farting around with $300 10 inch fans? Or does it takes awhile for its 500 engineers to reach a consensus?  Just like it did with the early dyson brush rolls and clutches.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Oct 16, 2009 by CarmineD
DysonInventsBig

Reply #96   Oct 16, 2009 3:42 pm
CarmineD wrote:
DIB:

I find his posts hilarious.  I didn't realize that in this age and time some of the oldest and most legendary vacuum industry myths are still being circulated and believed.  What's even more hilarious is that if I remember correctly he said he is/was a paid reviewer for vacuum products and worked for Which?  Like they say:  What have you been doing all your life??

So, DIB should we now add Consumer Reports to the anti-dyson conspiracy along with all the indies in the USA? 

Carmine D.

You’ve got nothing.  Playing the hilarious card or the name calling card is your pattern when you’ve got nothin.  With regards to vacuum real-world benefits, testing, costs and functions…  CR is showing it’s lack of intelligence and/or willingness to screw over the public…  either way you love it.  Reminiscent of your vacuum dealing days.

I do enjoy exposing the cons, their tricks and their *qumulative low level intelligence.

DIB

L  - photo:  CR showing their readers how uprights are difficult, limited, clumsy and somewhat dangerous to use at cleaning stairs.
R - photo:  Anyone with a 3rd grade or higher education showing how uprights can reach farther than canisters, are fast, simple and safer to use at cleaning stairs (onboard hose/wand made popular courtesy James Dyson).

*forum software would not allow for the correct spelling.
This message was modified Oct 16, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #97   Oct 16, 2009 4:37 pm
DIB:

$300 for a 10 inch desk top fan!  Hilarious.  Can't wait to read the Consumer Reports reviews on it.  I can see the CR intro now:  Legendary bagless vacuum inventor Sir James Dyson is making quite a name for himself in the UK.  First, bagless vacuums for $400-$800 and now bladeless 10 inch fans for $300.   Jerry Lewis and Dick Van Dyke, please step aside.  There's a new absent minded inventor in town.  He's riding in on a $600 dyson ball vacuum noted for its needle thin defective motor wiring harness and toting a $270 dyson DC30 handheld vacuum that runs 6 minutes at 65 Air Watts of power and 10 minutes at 35 Air Watts.  [Warning:  Actual run times may fluctuate depending on the severity of the clean up jobs.  It's suggested that 2 and maybe even 3 be puchased in order to perform routine household clean up tasks.]  The dyson man is a truly a genius.  Maybe he can figure out how to save the UK budget from its huge deficits.  Perhaps with a new invention: Numberless math. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Oct 16, 2009 by CarmineD
mole

Reply #98   Oct 17, 2009 9:06 am
With the upright market pretty much history whats Jimmy gonna do now, The canister is a joke the airblade has been transformed into a overpriced hand vac,well even the combo high tech fan is  bound to be a LOSER, WTF are you guys thinking.

Is Dyson looking for any bailout money?

Is fantom still an option?

Maybe its time for James to step down and stop  himself.The dyson legacy well it worked for a little while, Even the best propaganda machine ever assembled in vacuum cleaner history cant save me now.

Take the money Sir Jimmy and run as far away as you can.While your empire is still worth something.

regards

MOLE

Motorhead

Re: "What has dyson invented now?" (Now, now guys...)
Reply #99   Oct 17, 2009 6:06 pm
Wow, quite a lot of jealousy here I see!  Once again, if the design of the Air Multiplier was so obvious, why didn't any of y'all think of it first? 

What an awesome fan that is, and watching Jack's (Model2) video demonstrations only makes me want one even more.  I heard about the Air Multiplier around 6 months ago from none other than Tom Gasko.  He was under the impression that it would be a bladeless ceiling fan, and from what I hear there's a ceiling fan in the works, but it now makes sense that Sir James would bring it out as a table fan to gauge the public reaction.  Not to mention giving time to iron out the quirks involved with adapting and producing a light kit for it as well.  And (aside from a select few posts on here and other similar sites...) it seems the public reaction to the AM as a whole has been favorable.  Either way, the AM ceiling fan should be a solution to a HUGE problem that has plagued us for decades...vibrating, dusty, wobbly ceiling fans that produce mostly choppy air, or do not seem to move any air at all on lower speeds.  Offering an optional built-in heater would be a good idea as well, for homes that are either without central heat or overly drafty.  Along with the "jet-engine" appearance, I predict that 40 years from now it will be looked at in the same way we look at "mod" fixtures from the 1960's today.  Sleek, cool, and a perfect combination of design and functionality.  May even add to the value of homes that have them installed!

While we're on the subject of new Dyson innovations, Tom suggested that there are more in the works where this came from.  Among them will be a juice extractor that can juice an entire orange without halving it or adding any of the bitter zest to the juice.  That's been a big complaint of mine for a long time regarding juicing oranges with an extractor and why I've always preferred to use a simple reamer-type citrus juicer.  There will also be a toaster that is completely sealed from the escaping moisture from toasting bread, and a dishwasher that converts hydrogen peroxide into a cleaning agent by means of an ionic charge plate. 

On the vacuum front, the self-propelled MotorDrive is in the process of being test-marketed here in the States.  Not entirely sure what the model will be, perhaps either DC29 or DC32, but I should find out more in the near future.  It is similar in appearance to the DC28 (except no cam actuator to adjust the brushbar), with four motors.  Two DDMs for the suction and brushbar, respectively, and two servo-motors for each rear wheel.  The brushbar will be driven off a simple gearbox, which puts to rest the myth of switched-reluctance motors not being able to produce any torque.  Are they as powerful as traditional carbon-brush universal motors at the moment, no, but they can obviously produce enough torque to drive a gearbox.  In that situation, at least with the DDM, speed is at an advantage, producing enough power off reduction gearing without sacrificing brushbar speed (and subsequently cleaning performance).  The self-propulsion system is what is most unique, addressing the problem of steering difficulty that has plagued Kirby, Hoover, etc.  When the handle is turned either to the left or right, it will engage the respective servo-motor providing effortless power steering.  It is the most responsive and innovative drive system to date, utilizing electronics similar to a joystick to control the drive rather than complex linkage.  Due to the self-propulsion electronics in the handle, this will also be the first Dyson upright not to have the wand in the handle for above-floor cleaning. 

Between Dyson, Tacony, and Miele, it's nice to know someone well-rounded in the industry to provide this great information.

Take care everyone,
MH

P.S. Carmine, I hear where you're going, there will be an amalgam of AM01s to provide air circulation, and DC07s for you, Mole, and David Oreck to clean the place with...what can I say, guess they have good taste in vacuums and fans down there too
This message was modified Oct 17, 2009 by Motorhead
CarmineD

Reply #100   Oct 17, 2009 7:23 pm
Hello MH:

It's nice to know the way of dyson future by way of Tom thru you.  I'll wait to see what comes, if and when it does.  There have been soo many promises made here about future dyson products that never materialize.  We could devote a thread to it. 

On the Air Multiplier press to date, it's been negative primarily for 4 reasons: 

• There most definitely are blades but  are hidden in the stand.
  • Very noisey compared with conventional fans.
  • Unrealistically high price based on the competition.
  • No better for fanned air than a $10 bladed fan. 

These are opinions expressed by the expert sources that review such products and I noted concurred to by the opinions of posters.  Do an internet search and read the latest about the Air Multiplier.  I was kine and gentle by saying hilarious.  Others called dyson more colorful names.

Carmine D.

Replies: 91 - 100 of 254Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42