Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Recommendation needed

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Mister_Bojack

Recommendation needed
Original Message   Oct 4, 2009 7:53 pm
I've got a mix of surfaces in my home: wall to wall, and bare floors with area rugs. The complication comes into play with the area rugs. They are a very old and collectible mixture of Persians, Orientals, Kilims, etc. Most of the modern-day uprights seems to be too aggressive for these old rugs, so I've opted for a canister setup in my home. I've got a Miele Capricorn with both the SEB 217 and the SEB 236. As you can imagine, the 217 is just right for old rugs and not enough for medium pile wall to wall. The 236 is just right for the wall to wall and too much for the area rugs.

I've reached the conclusion that either I keep doing this "switcheroo" with the power nozzle, or I opt for some kind of vintage upright made by Eureka, Royal or Hoover. One of these uprights has got to be strong enough for wall to wall and gentle enough for heirloom rugs. Any suggestions?
This message was modified Oct 4, 2009 by Mister_Bojack
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Venson

Re: Recommendation needed
Reply #1   Oct 4, 2009 9:20 pm
Mister_Bojack wrote:
I've got a mix of surfaces in my home: wall to wall, and bare floors with area rugs. The complication comes into play with the area rugs. They are a very old and collectible mixture of Persians, Orientals, Kilims, etc. Most of the modern-day uprights seems to be too aggressive for these old rugs, so I've opted for a canister setup in my home. I've got a Miele Capricorn with both the SEB 217 and the SEB 236. As you can imagine, the 217 is just right for old rugs and not enough for medium pile wall to wall. The 236 is just right for the wall to wall and too much for the area rugs. <BR><BR>I've reached the conclusion that either I keep doing this &quot;switcheroo&quot; with the power nozzle, or I opt for some kind of vintage upright made by Eureka, Royal or Hoover. One of these uprights has got to be strong enough for wall to wall and gentle enough for heirloom rugs. Any suggestions?

Hi Mister_Bojack,

I have a Capricorn with the 236 PN. Personally I think you have all you really need. As you know the electronic suction reduction on Capricorn is wide. In my experience, I have much preferred using a straight suction nozzle on old rugs and only using the PN occasionally if they've experienced a lot of traffic or shedding pets. That's the better way to hedge your bets on valuable heirloom quality carpets. I am very familiar with kilims as I spent more than two years in Turkey and thus would find myself a bit skittish about using of a revolving brush here also -- especially on old ones.

You can either spend a little or a lot. I actually have the ridiculously priced Miele SBD 550-3 straight-suction nozzle (approx. 75 bucks). Nonetheless, a generic nozzle and a Miele adapter can for $25.00 all told.

If you just feel like spending money then look for an upright with soft-bristled revolving brush. One of the older all-metal Royals or an old circa 1960 or earlier Kirby is probably your best bet. There would be no HEPA option in either case but unless you've got a couple acres of rug it shouldn't make much difference.

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #2   Oct 5, 2009 7:17 am
I concur with Venson.  Frequent, good straight suction nozzle cleaning on the old and heirloom rugs is the best way to go.

Carmine D.

Mister_Bojack

Reply #3   Oct 5, 2009 10:32 am
Thanks to you both!

Really, it's the Kilim that is my major concern because it has no backing .  I've also got the suction only tool, but I don't always feel that it's effective. I've got 4 dogs, they all shed, the proof tends to remain on the carpet.

Venson, you confirmed what I thought might helpful regarding the all metal Royal upright. If I'm not pleased with the straight suction nozzle, I may try to find a Royal and have it fitted with a newer replacement bag for better filtration.
CarmineD

Reply #4   Oct 6, 2009 7:56 am
These are wonderful lifelong vacuums.  The newer ones have stiffer brush tufts unsuitable for delicate rug pile.  Older models are more EURO in design and function.  Or an indy may be able to retro fit an older brush roll in the newer model.  These are USA made and the height adjustments are perfect for users' preferences on all rug heights and styles.  With a self-propel feature on the wheels.

I make no endorsement for the seller and its business.  Used the web page [first on the internet] to post the pics and specs.

Carmine D.

CleanKing.com - vacuum cleaners, janitorial supplies, floor machines
CleanKing.com - vacuum cleaners, janitorial supplies, floor machines
M1028 - Royal All Metal Upright
$549.75
Protect your carpets with an all metal Royal upright vacuum that outcleans the compitition-hands down! remember, if its not metal-its not commercial. more...

Royal
This message was modified Oct 6, 2009 by CarmineD
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42