Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > repairs for the day

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
mole

repairs for the day
Original Message   Oct 4, 2009 6:25 am
Just as a  consumer  guide only. I will start the vacuum cleaner makes and models repair of the day section.

Day oct,3,2009.

1 oreck xl 2400 series ,bag never changed, blocked from intake thru wands,belt broken, brush roll bound up,

2 electrolux olympia 1, 30 years old, used as a second machine, has a central system, but loves her O-1  wont part with it.Repaired  new fans bearings, carbons, auromatic serviced, new drum spring ,runs better than new.
3 Dyson dc 07 animal, low suction problem, changed exhaust filter, never changed, customer was never told about the other filter,
4 30 ft low volt central vac hose, on off switch in handle replaced.I have a trick for this.

5 Kirby g6 relaced blown fan and belt, removed platic toy out of bag tube, also found some change in the fan case.

See you tomorrow.

MOLE
Replies: 1 - 55 of 55View as Outline
CarmineD

Re: repairs for the day
Reply #1   Oct 4, 2009 7:10 am
Hello MOLE:

Nice work. 

I assume all the owners/users are happy with their vacuums if they are willing to repair.   Curious tho if in the past one/more would decide not to go with the repairs and instead buy new/rebuilt?  Did any of these repair customers raise the question:  How much is a new one?  And what do you recommend?

Carmine D.

mole

Reply #2   Oct 4, 2009 7:38 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hello MOLE:

Nice work. 

I assume all the owners/users are happy with their vacuums if they are willing to repair.   Curious tho if in the past one/more would decide not to go with the repairs and instead buy new/rebuilt?  Did any of these repair customers raise the question:  How much is a new one?  And what do you recommend?

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,

Yes the customer most of the time asks what a new or rebuilt machine costs, Just as a  basis for the repair prices, This is a sales and service business, After the customer takes his or her repaired machine home uses it and call back and say it never worked so good, You can bet that you have a customer for life and their friends and relitives also, You know as well as i do its  really a easy business if you get it down right.,

sales come through excellent service,

Have had many customers spend a ton on repairs, even after we told them to go another route. But hey its their money. And if we gain their confidence the hassle factor is cut to a minimum,

B.T.W central vac sales and installs are way off, No big surpise there. Gotta know how to adjust to the climate,You know what i mean,brother.

MOLE
CarmineD

Reply #3   Oct 4, 2009 7:47 am
Hi MOLE:

Thanks.  Sounds like the vacuum business is still going strong, in good times and bad.  The CVS sales are off because new home constructions are way down.  I suspect the two go hand and hand. 

Keep us posted. 

Doesn't it do your heart well everytime one of those old vacuums gets a new lease on life for another 20-30 years!  Can't beat them.

Carmine D.

mole

Reply #4   Oct 4, 2009 7:53 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hi MOLE:

Thanks.  Sounds like the vacuum business is still going strong, in good times and bad.  The CVS sales are off because new home constructions are way down.  I suspect the two go hand and hand. 

Keep us posted. 

Doesn't it do your heart well everytime one of those old vacuums gets a new lease on life for another 20-30 years!  Can't beat them.

Carmine D.

Old vacuums are like classic cars, The owners are very proud and attached to them.I love fixing machines that are older than me.

regards

MOLE
HARDSELL

Reply #5   Oct 4, 2009 8:00 am
mole wrote:
Old vacuums are like classic cars, The owners are very proud and attached to them.I love fixing machines that are older than me.

regards

MOLE

Did they use electric motors in the ones older than you. 

The info that you posted is very interesting and I look forward to reading more.  This is the type of info that we need rather than the constant bickering.

Do you think that most vac problems are user inflicted? 

CarmineD

Reply #6   Oct 4, 2009 8:01 am
mole wrote:

regards

MOLE

Amen!

Carmine D.

mole

Reply #7   Oct 4, 2009 8:18 am
HARDSELL wrote:
Did they use electric motors in the ones older than you. 

The info that you posted is very interesting and I look forward to reading more.  This is the type of info that we need rather than the constant bickering.

Do you think that most vac problems are user inflicted? 

You know H.S. Many repairs are caused by lets say user error or done on purpose by the little ones who break things on purpose just so mommy and daddy has to buy a nice new shinny one ,That the culprits can begin destroying all over again.

It seems that the throw away socierty has taken everything over
HARDSELL

Reply #8   Oct 4, 2009 8:22 am
mole wrote:
You know H.S. Many repairs are caused by lets say user error or done on purpose by the little ones who break things on purpose just so mommy and daddy has to buy a nice new shinny one ,That the culprits can begin destroying all over again.

It seems that the throw away socierty has taken everything over

If I had broken my parents' possessions on purpose I would have needed repairs more than the broken item.  Society has eliminated almost proper parenting.
Venson

Reply #9   Oct 4, 2009 8:58 am
Hi MOLE,

Thanks for the repair list. It was interesting to read and also says a lot.

Best,

Venson
mole

Reply #10   Oct 4, 2009 9:06 am
Venson wrote:
Hi MOLE,

Thanks for the repair list. It was interesting to read and also says a lot.

Best,

Venson

Hi Big V.

Wait till you see what tomorrow brings.

The famous Lux rennie, the nightmare of the repairman, i predict that i will make a very happy customer.I will be putting out a Fire that another shop created,[you know what i mean] Stay tuned,

regards

MOLE
procare

Reply #11   Oct 4, 2009 6:38 pm
Mole,

The present owners of Lux had nothing to do with Rennie. When they came into control things changed for the better. Nothing changes over night. I still have satisfied Rennie owners because I took care of them in a timely manner. The present owners worked hard to bring as many Rennies off the market fairly. Before anyone bad mouths the current owners , nothing before 1998 was their fault .

Procare

mole

Reply #12   Oct 4, 2009 8:52 pm
Except the carolina program,The selling out of the name,selling the tooling and bag machine,gutting the company to a shell of what it use to be,plain corporate greed, Heres to the new aerus the healthy home company.

Some legacy HUH

Take care

MOLE
mole

Reply #13   Oct 5, 2009 3:02 pm
Jobs done on oct5, 09

1 Lux Rennie, 1996 light grey version, 13 years old never serviced,Just basic tune up and filters,Pm on powernozzle,1 wand latch.

2 hoover windtunell bagged,change brush and powerdrive belt,change intake and exhaust filters,runs like new again.

3 sanitaire sc886, fan,belt,basic service.

Thats all for today.

regards

MOLE

CarmineD

Reply #14   Oct 5, 2009 3:52 pm
Hello MOLE:

Are these customers household users of the Sanitaires?  Or commercial users?

Carmine D. 

mole

Reply #15   Oct 5, 2009 7:15 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello MOLE:

Hi Carmine
 The sani's are being used by households just because its sold for commercial applications does not mean that regular household applications are exempt

The sanitaire is the best bang for the buck upright on the planet. Fan first,huge top load bag,7amps,wicked brush speed,50ft cord, can be repaired almost on the spot,parts availability is great,and the price is very good.

The only real competition is the proteam twin motor upright,

Tomorrow i'll be dealing with a E2 rainbow with powernozzle issues,I think i can handle this without a problem.The the usual bearing eating issues.

regards

MOLE
CarmineD

Reply #16   Oct 6, 2009 7:07 am
mole wrote:
Hi Carmine
 The sani's are being used by households just because its sold for commercial applications does not mean that regular household applications are exempt

The sanitaire is the best bang for the buck upright on the planet. Fan first,huge top load bag,7amps,wicked brush speed,50ft cord, can be repaired almost on the spot,parts availability is great,and the price is very good.

The only real competition is the proteam twin motor upright,

Tomorrow i'll be dealing with a E2 rainbow with powernozzle issues,I think i can handle this without a problem.The the usual bearing eating issues.

regards

MOLE

Hello MOLE:

Well aware of the domestic/commercial uses of the EUREKA SC886.  The reason I ask is to gauge the abuse and misuse of these repairs: in home vice commercial applications.

One of the Churches in the area provides an outreach service to the poor who can't afford/need a vacuum for home cleaning.  It's a EUREKA BOSS Smart vac.  I maintain it.  I have suggested to the good Pastor that these are not the best for the use and abuse.  I recommended a Commercial product like the SC886 that would be better.  The drawback is that there are no tools on board for suction cleaning.  I don't think the Church/good pastor wants to loan 2 vacuums at one time for both modes of cleaning.  Since I'm the likely donor of the vacuum to the Church I'm toying with possibilities other the EUREKA SMART vac that will not break the retired vacuum man's bank. 

Carmine D. 

mole

Reply #17   Oct 6, 2009 5:01 pm
jobs for today  Oct 6 09

1 lux epic 6500, 1997,p/n elbow,2 wand pins,brush rollor,motor and cordreel service.

2 rainbow e2 powernozzle,brush rollor ,belt, show customer how to adjust for different carpet heights.

3 bosch bagless jet upright,change internal hepa filters,new halogen bulb[wow are these expensive, repair cord hook.

tomorrow brings a lux 2100 up to the plate  and an canadian LE from 1987.

Plus numerous bags,filters,belts, and a few central vacuum items,.

MOLE

CarmineD

Reply #18   Oct 6, 2009 6:53 pm
Hello MOLE:

Keep repairing those oldies but goodies.  I enjoy seeing customers spend the money to keep them in tip top shape.  I know you enjoy servicing/rebuilding them to like new. 

Carmine D.

mole

Reply #19   Oct 7, 2009 4:42 pm
Repairs for the day

Oct 7, 09

Lux2100, new hose,cordwinder and front cordwinder housing,front pivot wheel,fresh bag and filter.

Canadian LE,  front door insulator, filter grill, lower motor bearing 8mm.

both jobs were easy to do.

see you later

CarmineD

Reply #20   Oct 7, 2009 5:36 pm
Hello MOLE:

The Lux 2100:  These were produced 1984-1992 give or take.  How old was the one you repaired?

Carmine D.

procare

Reply #21   Oct 8, 2009 1:36 am
Mole,

I was wandering do you get any Special models from Electrolux? They came out in 1986 - 1989. Good vacuum. I sold quite a few and had good luck with them  but haven't heard to much about them from  a few of my dealer friends.

Procare

This message was modified Oct 8, 2009 by procare
mole

Reply #22   Oct 8, 2009 6:10 am
procare wrote:
Mole,

I was wandering do you get any Special models from Electrolux? They came out in 1986 - 1989. Good vacuum. I sold quite a few and had good luck with them  but haven't heard to much about them from  a few of my dealer friends.

Procare

Hi Carmine and Procare

The 2100 was mid 80.s vintage,great running machine not hammered just basic cordreel parts and hose,Also set the automatic up correctly,about 50% flow loss then shuts off.

Procare, Are you talking about the metal body specials brown, grey, or the red plastic body specials. Both were being priduced and sold in the same time frame.

The mini specials metal bodys were known in the OLD days as model L. I must have serviced almost 2 thousand of them.

The advantage series was also a popular model back here,1998 price was 499.00, sold a ton of these.
CarmineD

Reply #23   Oct 8, 2009 6:59 am
mole wrote:
Hi Carmine and Procare

The 2100 was mid 80.s vintage,great running machine not hammered just basic cordreel parts and hose,Also set the automatic up correctly,about 50% flow loss then shuts off.

Procare, Are you talking about the metal body specials brown, grey, or the red plastic body specials. Both were being priduced and sold in the same time frame.

The mini specials metal bodys were known in the OLD days as model L. I must have serviced almost 2 thousand of them.

The advantage series was also a popular model back here,1998 price was 499.00, sold a ton of these.

Hello MOLE:

The Lux L came after the G in 1966 and ran in production with various colors [brown, blue, and gold] thru 1979.  One of Luxes's best.  Sold concurrently toward the end of its run with the 1205, Super J, and Olympia [the latter 3 using the newer body style, while the L used the old style of the Lux E & AE of the 50's]. 

Carmine D.

mole

Reply #24   Oct 8, 2009 9:08 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hello MOLE:

The Lux L came after the G in 1966 and ran in production with various colors [brown, blue, and gold] thru 1979.  One of Luxes's best.  Sold concurrently toward the end of its run with the 1205, Super J, and Olympia [the latter 3 using the newer body style, while the L used the old style of the Lux E & AE of the 50's]. 

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,

You are correct on the L  long production run only model to have a longer production run was the XXX, did you know that there's a model XXX in the smithsonian intitute on display, And most of the parts are still available to overhaul and keep em going for another 50 years.

regards

MOLE

CarmineD

Reply #25   Oct 8, 2009 1:39 pm
mole wrote:
Hi Carmine,

You are correct on the L  long production run only model to have a longer production run was the XXX, did you know that there's a model XXX in the smithsonian intitute on display, And most of the parts are still available to overhaul and keep em going for another 50 years.

regards

MOLE

Hello MOLE:

I didn't know MOLE, thanks.  I'm not the least surprised,tho.  The Lux 30 is the signature/icon vacuum for lux after its 80 plus years in existence.  Like the HOOVER 700 for it.

Carmine D.

mole

Reply #26   Oct 8, 2009 3:08 pm
repairs for the day

Oct 8, 09

Well today was central vacuum clinic day

1 h.p vacuflo, model 26 believe from late 60's  rebuild 334 lamb motor,fans bearings, carbons, must of had 1200 hours on it,runs like a new machine now.

2 beam 197,vintage 1990,1,2, same problem as the H.P.vacuflo,to many hours on the 2 stage small fan motor,rebuild fans,bearings carbons.

3 centra lux,control board,new filter,Its o.k. now.

Tomorrow looks like another dyson dc07, will throw it on the bench and take a look,Clutch and belt problem?????

regards

MOLE

procare

Reply #27   Oct 8, 2009 3:41 pm
Mole,

Contrary to your belief that the Special was an  L is wrong. The Model L came out in 1960 and the first one was White, They were built until 1979. The Special as it was called  was metal and had the same body shape of the 1205. The colors were Olympia One Brown and Silverado Grey.They had a 1205 Armatured motor.      The Red Special Series were models sold at Home Shows, and Big Sales advertised at Fairgrounds and given lower prices at the time.Special Promotion .  Machines didn't have the same warranty or performance of  the door to door models on sale. The Red machines were  2100 canister , Discovery II upright and model 2101 shampooer polisher.

Procare

CarmineD

Reply #28   Oct 8, 2009 4:53 pm
mole wrote:
repairs for the day

Oct 8, 09

Well today was central vacuum clinic day

1 h.p vacuflo, model 26 believe from late 60's  rebuild 334 lamb motor,fans bearings, carbons, must of had 1200 hours on it,runs like a new machine now.

2 beam 197,vintage 1990,1,2, same problem as the H.P.vacuflo,to many hours on the 2 stage small fan motor,rebuild fans,bearings carbons.

3 centra lux,control board,new filter,Its o.k. now.

Tomorrow looks like another dyson dc07, will throw it on the bench and take a look,Clutch and belt problem?????

regards

MOLE

Hello MOLE:

How old is the dyson?

Carmine D.

mole

Reply #29   Oct 8, 2009 5:07 pm
procare wrote:
Mole,

Contrary to your belief that the Special was an  L is wrong. The Model L came out in 1960 and the first one was White, They were built until 1979. The Special as it was called  was metal and had the same body shape of the 1205. The colors were Olympia One Brown and Silverado Grey.They had a 1205 Armatured motor.      The Red Special Series were models sold at Home Shows, and Big Sales advertised at Fairgrounds and given lower prices at the time.Special Promotion .  Machines didn't have the same warranty or performance of  the door to door models on sale. The Red machines were  2100 canister , Discovery II upright and model 2101 shampooer polisher.

Procare

Hi Procare,

I think i was not clear on what i was getting to about the L.When the olympia/silverado series came out 1978/82 olympia, silverado 1982/84,the L was out of production,hence the 1453 brown special [mini looking 1205] , was put into place as the priced unit,like the L was to the 1205/golden J.

The L came out in 1966, the machine your thinking about is the model R, yes the body style looked the same,but the front door on the R was not hinged,Thats the difference,and that the bearings in the motor on the fan end were different,although they shared the same fans.

The red machines were sold at service merchandise and home shows,lets not discuss why the company lost over 20 thousand reps over this fiasco.

regards

MOLE

mole

Reply #30   Oct 8, 2009 5:24 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello MOLE:

How old is the dyson?

Carmine D.

Carmine, i would say 3 or 4 years old. This machine is one of my housecleaning customers,she actually likes the machine.I will evaluate the repair and get back to her with the repair cost.

The brush rollor is very rattlely,we will see what going on tomorrow.

stay well

MOLE

CarmineD

Reply #31   Oct 8, 2009 7:32 pm
I'm by no means the resident Lux expert here and defer to MOLE and Procare. 

I too was put in mind of the R, 1960-1966, grey body and white ends with the clasp hold downs for the bag cover end with Procare's post.  Also the Model S, 1957-1960, with the blue body and white ends with the clasp hold downs for the bag cover end.  The S & R had the halo for the cord wraps as OEM and no auto feature on the bag pop out.  The L a cord winder as OEM and hinged with no pop out feature.  All 3 use the old style lux body as opposed to the 1205 and later lux body styling.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #32   Oct 8, 2009 7:45 pm
mole wrote:
Carmine, i would say 3 or 4 years old. This machine is one of my housecleaning customers,she actually likes the machine.I will evaluate the repair and get back to her with the repair cost.

The brush rollor is very rattlely,we will see what going on tomorrow.

stay well

MOLE

Hello MOLE:

I can't for the life of me believe that in this day and time a so called vacuum manufacturer can get away with putting such a toy like brush roller in a vacuum, let alone, a full sized vacuum.  It's a piece of crap.  The worse I've ever seen in the industry bar none. 

Carmine D.

procare

Reply #33   Oct 9, 2009 2:13 pm
Carmine and Mole,

Sorry to make the mistake on the year for the L. The history folder sales reps get says 1966 but in reality it came out in October 1963. It is in the 30 year history of the plant at Old Greenwich, Conn. I also have a contract where my father sold it in 1963. He was the first to sell one on the state. He also has the date of 1963 in one of the manuals on the  Model L. White P/N-1 green trim on front lid.  In 1966 the Model G changed color and the Model L was Bronze in color to match  the G.

As for the Model S. The cleaner had no place for a halo or Cordreel. It sold for $69.95

Procare

mole

Reply #34   Oct 9, 2009 3:16 pm
Hi Procare, no problem, the very L you are talking about white with green trim.I have one maybe its the one your dad sold.

take care

MOLE

CarmineD

Reply #35   Oct 9, 2009 7:06 pm
procare wrote:
Carmine and Mole,

Sorry to make the mistake on the year for the L. The history folder sales reps get says 1966 but in reality it came out in October 1963. It is in the 30 year history of the plant at Old Greenwich, Conn. I also have a contract where my father sold it in 1963. He was the first to sell one on the state. He also has the date of 1963 in one of the manuals on the  Model L. White P/N-1 green trim on front lid.  In 1966 the Model G changed color and the Model L was Bronze in color to match  the G.

As for the Model S. The cleaner had no place for a halo or Cordreel. It sold for $69.95

Procare

Right you are.  No halo for the cord wrap. 

Carmine D.

mole

Reply #36   Oct 10, 2009 5:14 am
Repairs for the day.

Oct 9 09

Dyson dc07  purple, brush rollor housing melted, agitator bearings on clutch side grenaded, suction motor has balance issues.The machine was too expensive to repair,
Elected to trade in for a used kirby,G7D,MADE THE RIGHT MOVE AND WE MADE A HAPPY CUSTOMER AND A PILE OF MONEY.

The other ELECTROLUX [oxygen 3] Powerhead elbow snapped off at the swivel,see it all the time,customer wasnot too happy about the bill and being without her cleaner for 7 days.

Sears progresive ,powerteam  older blue machine [panasonic looking one] Repaired short in electric hose,common problem.Another satisfied EX sears customer..

see you later

MOLE
CarmineD

Reply #37   Oct 10, 2009 7:08 am
mole wrote:
Repairs for the day.

Oct 9 09

Dyson dc07  purple, brush rollor housing melted, agitator bearings on clutch side grenaded, suction motor has balance issues.The machine was too expensive to repair,
Elected to trade in for a used kirby,G7D,MADE THE RIGHT MOVE AND WE MADE A HAPPY CUSTOMER AND A PILE OF MONEY.

The other ELECTROLUX [oxygen 3] Powerhead elbow snapped off at the swivel,see it all the time,customer wasnot too happy about the bill and being without her cleaner for 7 days.

Sears progresive ,powerteam  older blue machine [panasonic looking one] Repaired short in electric hose,common problem.Another satisfied EX sears customer..

see you later

MOLE

Hello MOLE:

DC07 Animal's MSRP is $499.  It was 3-4 years old and the customer scrubbed the repair [too costly] for a rebuilt KIRBY G7.  Good move on your part and a very nice business transaction.  What do you do with the old dyson?

Carmine D.

mole

Reply #38   Oct 10, 2009 8:49 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hello MOLE:

DC07 Animal's MSRP is $499.  It was 3-4 years old and the customer scrubbed the repair [too costly] for a rebuilt KIRBY G7.  Good move on your part and a very nice business transaction.  What do you do with the old dyson?

Carmine D.

strip it for parts,what else should i do with it,send it back to dyson and put a warranty claim in.
CarmineD

Reply #39   Oct 10, 2009 9:10 am
mole wrote:
strip it for parts,what else should i do with it,send it back to dyson and put a warranty claim in.

Is the number still working?

Carmine D.

mole

Reply #40   Oct 10, 2009 9:57 am
No Go,Carmine,it was an E-BAY  ,,,,,    refurb, only paid 169.00 for it, The warranty was voided because of the E-BAY purchase,

pretty nice scam for them huh.

MOLE

CarmineD

Reply #41   Oct 10, 2009 2:12 pm
Seems dyson refurbs are the money maker for the internet sales.

Carmine D.

mole

Reply #42   Oct 10, 2009 3:48 pm
repairs for the day

Oct,10, 09

1 16 year old central vac hose repair,2 wand latches, brush and belt change.service side kick, and overhauled powernozzle.

2 floor pro carpet shampooer,1993 vintage,sudzer shield,handle trigger[to release the shampoo] clean and service motor,repack gear case with grease,should be OK for another 20 years.

3 Miele red star late 90's early  00's, replaced carbons,new filters,repair cordwinder,look turbo nozzle over.[possible upright candidate] looking for lightweight easy to use not priced into orbit.Looks like an Oreck or Fresh era.

later

MOLE

CarmineD

Reply #43   Oct 10, 2009 4:24 pm
mole wrote:
repairs for the day

Oct,10, 09

1 16 year old central vac hose repair,2 wand latches, brush and belt change.service side kick, and overhauled powernozzle.

2 floor pro carpet shampooer,1993 vintage,sudzer shield,handle trigger[to release the shampoo] clean and service motor,repack gear case with grease,should be OK for another 20 years.

3 Miele red star late 90's early  00's, replaced carbons,new filters,repair cordwinder,look turbo nozzle over.[possible upright candidate] looking for lightweight easy to use not priced into orbit.Looks like an Oreck or Fresh era.

later

MOLE

MOLE:

Isn't it always the case that when times get bad economically, customers inevitably revert back to the oldies and goodies, sparing no expense and excuse to get them back into tip top shape. 

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #44   Oct 10, 2009 7:35 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Seems dyson refurbs are the money maker for the internet sales.

Carmine D.

Seems like repairs are the money maker for the indys.
CarmineD

Reply #45   Oct 10, 2009 8:39 pm
HS:

Yes indeed.  Thank goodness. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #46   Oct 11, 2009 7:11 am
Parts sales too.  In addition to repairs.  Especially in hard times when people can't afford to buy new every few years and defer purchases by keeping the old vacuums in tip top shape.

By last recent count, 51 [fifty one] percent of Americans surveyed say their economic situations and circumstances are getting worse. 

Carmine D.

mole

Reply #47   Oct 12, 2009 4:35 pm
Repairs for the day,

Oct 12,09

1  can you believe it the only repair job was a belt installed on an oreck.[i'm excited] i should of stayed home.

MOLE

CarmineD

Reply #48   Oct 12, 2009 5:05 pm
Hi MOLE:

It's a holiday, Columbus Day.  You should have the day off!

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #49   Oct 12, 2009 7:15 pm
Actually MOLE, as you well know, when you're in the business there are no holidays.  Store closed, door locked, no business.  No business, no money.  That's the reason I ask how many indy bashers here ever owned and operated their own business.  No replies yet.  Let alone do so for decades and generations.  That in itself is an accomplishment. 

On the slow store business and/or repair days, rebuilts were the order of the day workwise.  Same for you?  Else Sundays had to do for the best time for rebuilts.  Think the indy bashers would work 9 to 9 daily and Saturdays, then put in 8 hours plus on Sunday?  For a year?  For 5 years?  10 years?  42 years?    Run the whole show busines wise including pay the bills, workers, do the books and the taxes?  They talk about back yard inventors.  How about a jack of all trades for 42 years.  That's the real deal.   

Carmine D.

This message was modified Oct 12, 2009 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #50   Oct 12, 2009 7:37 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Actually MOLE, as you well know, when you're in the business there are no holidays.  Store closed, door locked, no business.  No business, no money.  That's the reason I ask how many indy bashers here ever owned and operated their own business.  No replies yet.  Let alone do so for decades and generations.  That in itself is an accomplishment. 

On the slow store business and/or repair days, rebuilts were the order of the day workwise.  Same for you?  Else Sundays had to do for the best time for rebuilts.  Think the indy bashers would work 9 to 9 daily and Saturdays, then put in 8 hours plus on Sunday?  For a year?  For 5 years?  10 years?  42 years?    Run the whole show busines wise including pay the bills, workers, do the books and the taxes?  They talk about back yard inventors.  How about a jack of all trades for 42 years.  That's the real deal.   

Carmine D.

There are other lines of work if you hate it so much. 
Venson

Reply #51   Oct 12, 2009 10:33 pm
Other than musicians, there's but a precious few I've known over my life that, in the long run, have had opportunity for employment they wanted or trained for as opposed to to the many I know who go to jobs just to maintain themselves and their families.

I think it's great to be in business for yourself, if it's in a field you either like, enjoy or at least can relate to. Though nothing worth having comes without struggle, the sky's still the limit. If you are good at your craft, you can go as far you want since no one but you can stand in the way of you being promoted.

On the other hand, if you work for someone, your salary, the manner in which business is carried out, and the way product is priced always hang in the balance by way of your boss sees as his due profitwise.

The young man who takes care of my car really has a gift for it but no confidence. The last placed he worked for stiffed him for a lot of pay though he was its mainstay and making money for them. He has now moved on to a new place which only wants give him $9.00 an hour. You don't pay that to someone with real skills.

Matter of fact, I told him new shop should hire me. For $9.00 an hour I'd be perfect -- I don't know anything about cars.

I have been trying to convince him to hang out his shingle on Craig's List. A lot of good mechanics will now come to your door to work on your car. Minus the mark-up on overhead and the middleman, prices can be really nice.

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #52   Oct 13, 2009 7:06 am
HARDSELL wrote:
There are other lines of work if you hate it so much. 

Hate?  Next to God, religion, friends, family and the people I influence it is my greatest love in life.  You don't do something for over 55 years out of hate.  Quite the contrary. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #53   Oct 13, 2009 7:12 am
Venson wrote:
 Though nothing worth having comes without struggle, the sky's still the limit. If you are good at your craft, you can go as far you want since no one but you can stand in the way of you being promoted.

Venson

Hello Venson:

Glad to see and hear that somebody here gets it, after HS's idiotic post.  He and DIB are hanging out too much together.  It's rubbing off.

Without the scandal of the cross, there would be no glory in the resurrection. 

Keep working on your young car friend.  He'll get it too in time.  Like Saul, aka St. Paul, he'll have an epiphany.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #54   Oct 13, 2009 7:56 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Venson:

Glad to see and hear that somebody here gets it, after HS's idiotic post.  He and DIB are hanging out too much together.  It's rubbing off.

Without the scandal of the cross, there would be no glory in the resurrection. 

Keep working on your young car friend.  He'll get it too in time.  Like Saul, aka St. Paul, he'll have an epiphany.

Carmine D.

You talk as if you were chained and shackled to your job.  Then you say it was better than sliced bread.  Talk about idiotic.
CarmineD

Reply #55   Oct 13, 2009 9:03 am
HS:

The idiosy here is monopolized by you and DIB. 

Carmine D.

Replies: 1 - 55 of 55View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42