Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Consumer Reports review of the Gary Vacuum

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Consumer Reports review of the Gary Vacuum
Original Message   Sep 25, 2009 1:44 pm
Hopefully this is available to non-subscribers:

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/home/2009/09/garry-ultra-light-vacuum-consumer-reports-review-best-vacuums-infomercial-dirt-devil-hoover-eureka-b.html

Inside Consumer Reports Test Labs: The Garry upright vacuum is a lightweight . . . in more ways than one

- good for bare floors and pet hair - not so great at carpet cleaning.

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Replies: 38 - 47 of 47Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Scott

Re: Consumer Reports review of the Gary Vacuum
Reply #38   Oct 1, 2009 11:27 pm
CarmineD

Reply #39   Oct 2, 2009 8:02 am
Thanks Scott for the heads up. 

I watched the video.  It is well done by Kali and Saul.  But a few things to note.  800 units for sale but only 300 sold despite Kali's pitch that they wouldn't last.  $199 plus $25.95 shipping and handling.  Plus an extra $25.95 for a 2 year protection plan from HSN.  Why would you need if garry has a lifetime limited warranty?  Bags are $9.99 for 8.  For the shipping and handling.  The steam mop won't stay up with the head wipe on.  Note Saul and Kali hold it/lean it up against furniture when not in use.  The mop wipe came off in the first demo and Saul repositions before doing the second demo.

Clearly Saul and Kali and garry market this knock off against ORECK, the industry leader for almost 50 years.

Carmine D.

PS:

Kali errs when she says the mop takes 1-2 minutes to heat up.  Saul says 30 seconds like the ORECK Steam It.  Also note the v shape mop head.  Reminiscent of the BISSELL stick vac head.

This message was modified Oct 2, 2009 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #40   Oct 2, 2009 8:26 am
CarmineD wrote:
HS your argument falls apart based on the huge size of the ORECK paper bag.  One of the largest dirt containment capacities in the vacuum industry ever, if not the largest.  Especially in view of the fact that ORECK weighs 9 pounds, only one third of most full size vacuums on the market today.  Now, if referring to the itzy bitzy capacities of dirt cups on your fave brand, then I fully agree with your logic.  I suspect users grow so tired and weary of dumping the small dirt cups so often that they buy a cheapie disposable for every day use.  Relegating the overpriced bagless brand with a 5 year limited warranty to a storage closet.  Guaranteed to last a lifetime like the belts and filters.

Carmine D.

More Carmine fluff.

Take a pint jar and call it Dyson.  Take a gallon jug and call it oreck.

Submerge each under water for 5 seconds.  Wait. We have to put a lid on the Oreck and make a small hole in the lid.  Which will fill first?

CarmineD

Reply #41   Oct 2, 2009 8:37 am
HS:

The only fluff in my ORECK bag is the dog hair that my $199 ORECK sucks up into the bag along with the dirt/dust from the rug.  Something a dyson DC07 pink for $399 [before discounts] could never and still won't do.  Based on your analogy, dyson to a pint and ORECK to a gallon, which should consumers buy?  The pint size for $500 plus or the gallon size for $199 plus?  Dyson made in malaysia, ORECK in the USA. 

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #42   Oct 2, 2009 10:46 am
CarmineD wrote:
HS:

The only fluff in my ORECK bag is the dog hair that my $199 ORECK sucks up into the bag along with the dirt/dust from the rug.  Something a dyson DC07 pink for $399 [before discounts] could never and still won't do.  Based on your analogy, dyson to a pint and ORECK to a gallon, which should consumers buy?  The pint size for $500 plus or the gallon size for $199 plus?  Dyson made in malaysia, ORECK in the USA. 

Carmine D.

I would take the pint that will fill rather than the gallon that doesn't fill because it leaves the filth in the carpet.

The oreck is sitting on top of your carpet and not deep cleaning.  The motor is too weak to turn the brush if it sinks in the carpet.  High RPM does not relate to power.  Usually just the opposite.

CarmineD

Reply #43   Oct 2, 2009 12:40 pm
HS:

The ORECK gallon and one half size bag capacity fills because the ORECK doesn't work properly.  Now, that's a new and different perspective on the effectiveness of vacuum operations and performance on rugs.  Do you have any more observations like this one to post.  It's right up there with paying $600 for a dyson vacuum that can't perform as well as a $60 HOOVER TEMPO. 

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #44   Oct 2, 2009 12:45 pm
CarmineD wrote:
HS:

The ORECK gallon and one half size bag capacity fills because the ORECK doesn't work properly.  Now, that's a new and different perspective on the effectiveness of vacuum operations and performance on rugs.  Do you have any more observations like this one to post.  It's right up there with paying $600 for a dyson vacuum that can't perform as well as a $60 HOOVER TEMPO. 

Carmine D.

By your own admittance it does not deep clean on medium or higher pile carpet.
CarmineD

Reply #45   Oct 2, 2009 1:02 pm
HS:

No, your words and interpretation not mine.  ORECK deep cleans better than many of the current brands that are much more expensive.  Note the grooming of the carpets after using ORECK vacuums.  They can't groom without deep cleaning too. 

My point that you missed is that if you use an ORECK daily, as it was made to be used, deep cleaning isn't an issue.  Why?  As I explained already it takes surface dirt and dust 5 days to embed in the backing of rugs.  My point is true for all vacuums that are used daily and properly.

Carmine D. 

HARDSELL

Reply #46   Oct 2, 2009 7:25 pm
CarmineD wrote:
HS:

No, your words and interpretation not mine.  ORECK deep cleans better than many of the current brands that are much more expensive.  Note the grooming of the carpets after using ORECK vacuums.  They can't groom without deep cleaning too. 

My point that you missed is that if you use an ORECK daily, as it was made to be used, deep cleaning isn't an issue.  Why?  As I explained already it takes surface dirt and dust 5 days to embed in the backing of rugs.  My point is true for all vacuums that are used daily and properly.

Carmine D. 

You can groom a carpet with a carpet rake.  They do not remove any dirt.  Why not buy a better vac that does not require daily use?
CarmineD

Reply #47   Oct 2, 2009 7:51 pm
No HS you can rake a carpet with a rake, you can't groom it.  Groom, my friend, implies cleaning also.

I vacuum daily.  I have to vacuum daily because I have an English yellow lab that sheds year round and a dear Wife with allergies and sinuses.  My 9 pound ORECK for $199 does a yeoman's job.  It's over 2 years old, works like a charm and my dog and Wife don't run for cover during operation.  Dyson's notorious clutch ratcheting sent all in the house for cover.

I contemplated the HOOVER bagged Platinum lightweight [rated number 2 by CR] with companion canister for $299 in June 2009.  My dear Wife and I liked the ORECK performance on rugs and floors much better.  As I said for higher pile, the HOOVER probably is better.  For medium to low and floors, the ORECK is better.  I have 75 percent floors and 25 percent medium loop pile wool rugs.  And assorted area rugs mostly berber.  ORECK is primo.  Why change if you're happy and satisfied.  I'll upgrade my ORECK as I mentioned already.  Sales should be coming soon for the Holiday season.  I'll buy a new ORECK AGAIN.

Carmine D.

Replies: 38 - 47 of 47Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42