Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Consumer Reports review of the Gary Vacuum

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Consumer Reports review of the Gary Vacuum
Original Message   Sep 25, 2009 1:44 pm
Hopefully this is available to non-subscribers:

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/home/2009/09/garry-ultra-light-vacuum-consumer-reports-review-best-vacuums-infomercial-dirt-devil-hoover-eureka-b.html

Inside Consumer Reports Test Labs: The Garry upright vacuum is a lightweight . . . in more ways than one

- good for bare floors and pet hair - not so great at carpet cleaning.

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Replies: 25 - 34 of 47Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
ChrisH

Garry Vacuum
Reply #25   Sep 28, 2009 4:07 pm

My husband thought he was doing me a favor and ordered the Garry Vacuum.  It was not even three months old and the motor went in the machine.  After fighting with the customer service people for over a week, I will finally be receiving a new machine at no cost to me.  I had the machine for 91 days when I finally was able to speak with a supervisor.  My free replacement warranty ran out on the 90th day.  They wanted me to spend $50.00 for them to ship out another unit and then pay the additional shipping to send the broken machine back.  What a hunk of junk!  I should have opened it right away and sent it back during the first 30 days!  The customer service people are all located in India and when you ask them where they are located they lie and tell you California.   The only thing that helped me out was the fact that I told them I was contacting the BBB in California to file a complaint against the corporate office in California.  I am keeping my fingers crossed!
Venson

Re: Consumer Reports review of the Gary Vacuum
Reply #26   Sep 28, 2009 6:01 pm
Hi ChrisH,

Wow -- quite a story. I wish you a good result.

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #27   Sep 28, 2009 6:56 pm
Hello ChrisH and others who own a garry:

Would you mind checking and posting the country of origin for the garry vacuum, please.  It should be on the serial number sticker/plate of the vacuum.  Thank you in advance for your time and response.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Sep 28, 2009 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #28   Sep 28, 2009 7:17 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello ChrisH and others who own a garry:

Would you mind checking and posting the country of origin for the garry vacuum, please.  It should be on the serial number sticker/plate of the vacuum.  Thank you in advance for your time and response.

Carmine D.

I believe they are currently made in Cookeville, TN.  Previously in LA.
CarmineD

Reply #29   Sep 29, 2009 6:41 am
Hello HS:

Your belief is completely wrong.  There is no halo and wings on the garry vac!  

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #30   Sep 29, 2009 7:36 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hello HS:

Your belief is completely wrong.  There is no halo and wings on the garry vac!  

Carmine D.

Guess you are right.  Garry is a newborn and Oreck is dead.

CarmineD

Reply #31   Sep 29, 2009 8:16 am
HS:

One out of 2.  I am right.  BUT, halo was dead and ORECK breathed new life into it! 

Not true for garry.  It will fade away along with another vacuum maker.  The question IS which will be first?

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #32   Sep 29, 2009 8:21 am
CarmineD wrote:
HS:

One out of 2.  I am right.  BUT, halo was dead and ORECK breathed new life into it! 

Not true for garry.  It will fade away along with another vacuum maker.  The question IS which will be first?

Carmine D.

Halo is on the respirator.

CarmineD

Reply #33   Sep 29, 2009 8:38 am
No HS, people on respirators should use a halo! 

Carmine D.

retardturtle1

Reply #34   Oct 1, 2009 6:35 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Venson et al:

You were skeptical and doubtful from the get go.  I went back and read the 50 or so posts on the original thread for this subject.  While I initially thought perhaps former disgruntled ORECK employees [if there is such a thing] were behind the start up of the garry, I hit a brick wall when I posed this theory to existing ORECK employees.  They were in the dark and surprised by the similarities but it ended there.  Obviously it is not the case. 

There is/was however ONE technical element with the garry that intriqued me, tho I was and still am skeptical.  The tools on board operation and performance.  This is the edge that garry has over the ORECK IF the tools give decent performance.  I wanted to check the tools out for useful and practical performance.  That was the issue that would make or break the appeal of this vacuum over the ORECK, IMHO.  CR was not impressed with tool use and I'm sure I won't be either.    Which bears out the suspicion I had with this vacuum.  Too small a motor for decent tool suction.

Carmine D.

HI CARMINE

Reguardless if the G-vac did great with its hose.....its still has many years of solid hard use years to endure, to even come close to  what you get with an ORECK....you can take an ORECK and use it in a commercial setting all day...everyday...take home and use it  everyday and it wont miss a lick......will work flawlessly for many years under xtreme use/abuse.......a great vacuume with a rep to match.

BUT have you seen the latest BOB THE ANSWER MAN infomercial.....for the NINJA  mixer/processor.....hmmm looks like a garry motor could be under the hood/cover of this one...what do you think?

turtle1

This message was modified Oct 1, 2009 by retardturtle1
Replies: 25 - 34 of 47Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42