Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Consumer Reports review of the Gary Vacuum

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Consumer Reports review of the Gary Vacuum
Original Message   Sep 25, 2009 1:44 pm
Hopefully this is available to non-subscribers:

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/home/2009/09/garry-ultra-light-vacuum-consumer-reports-review-best-vacuums-infomercial-dirt-devil-hoover-eureka-b.html

Inside Consumer Reports Test Labs: The Garry upright vacuum is a lightweight . . . in more ways than one

- good for bare floors and pet hair - not so great at carpet cleaning.

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Replies: 10 - 19 of 47Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Consumer Reports review of the Gary Vacuum
Reply #10   Sep 25, 2009 3:02 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
Now if Oreck could only pick up as much dirt as the bagless they might have a winner.  Thankfully we only have you as the single windbag on this forum.

I may be the one bagged windbag.  But you are the bagless windbag.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #11   Sep 25, 2009 3:04 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
And if you do not live in a major city you can haul the Oreck 100 or so miles then return and pick up after the repair.

I forgot you live in the backwoods country side of Tennessee!

Carmine D.

retardturtle1

Reply #12   Sep 25, 2009 3:18 pm
CarmineD wrote:
No authorized gary dealers either just like another infamous brand.  One garry vacuum customer spent $80 for the cost of shipping to and fro for service/warranty.  $40 to send the bad garry back.  $40 to get the new garry vacuum under warranty.  Another page right out of the infamous bagless windbag brand. 

Carmine D.

HI CARMINE

Finally ...some info on the thing...but no more than we already didnt know..i expected to hear more from CR about this one....people who bought this vac cant get a response to their questions/issues......no service whatsoever......i feel CR should have addressed this issue.and made it known..makes me wonder why not? ..this is an important area and one that should never be lacking....service after the sale.

As much as i dislike dyson ...at least they do respond...eventually ....even if its useless info..and they are nice /..sending you to vac shops that wont touch them/dont want them.....useless warranty.

turtle1

Venson

Reply #13   Sep 25, 2009 4:12 pm
CarmineD wrote:
No authorized gary dealers either just like another infamous brand.  One garry vacuum customer spent $80 for the cost of shipping to and fro for service/warranty.  $40 to send the bad garry back.  $40 to get the new garry vacuum under warranty.  Another page right out of the infamous bagless windbag brand.  </p><p>Carmine D.

The issue here if I recall correctly is that replacement of a messed up Garry -- no matter what the reason -- was to be free. The 80 bucks for shipping and "handling" is about the cost of a brand new on isn't it? If so, the whole is farce since a lightweight vacuum, decently packed and box shouldn't cost more than 10 or 15 bucks to ship via UPS Ground.

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #14   Sep 25, 2009 4:53 pm
Hello Venson:

From the 10th post of 23 on the CR page with the garry comments, I excerpted this user's review:

"I don't expect  free shipping if I was using the product for 1 yr.+  However, to have to pay another $76 for shipping and processing after 4 months of use is quite a ripoff. "

I opined this is $38 to ship the old defective garry back and $38 for garry to ship the replacement.  Upon reading again, the poster says it cost $11 to return so the additional $65 is the garry charge for shipping a replacement.  As the poster says: a rip off.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Sep 25, 2009 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #15   Sep 25, 2009 4:57 pm
BTW Venson shipping and handling on an ORECK runs $25-$30 unless ORECK waives the costs as a special promotion to buy.  That's from the new plant in Tennessee, the city part not the backwoods part HS dwells in, to Las Vegas. 

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #16   Sep 25, 2009 10:31 pm
CarmineD wrote:
BTW Venson shipping and handling on an ORECK runs $25-$30 unless ORECK waives the costs as a special promotion to buy.  That's from the new plant in Tennessee, the city part not the backwoods part HS dwells in, to Las Vegas. 

Carmine D.

Once again your ignorance shows.  The factory is in the hills of TN.  I actually live a stones throw from Tom Oreck.

CarmineD

Reply #17   Sep 26, 2009 7:10 am
Once again HS you prove that my 5 year old grand daughter knows the difference between making a joke and ignorance better than you.   

WRT the shipping costs and garry repalcements, reading more of the posts, confirms Venson's view.  The $80 is for the replacement garry vacuum.  Have to wait to see how this plays out in Peoria.  I suspect garry will have to fine tune its verbage to get into legal conformity or risk legal actions.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #18   Sep 26, 2009 7:18 am
Pondering the garry vacuum warranty, it is quite a scam in addition to rip off.  Garry makes more money replacing defective garry vacuums than selling new ones and repairing in/out of warranty.   Doesn't give customers a warm and fuzzy feeling when dealing with new vacuum makers and their claims/technical jargon.   No surprise at all that these garry vacuums are not sold thru indy's.  Any bets on how long it will be in business?

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #19   Sep 26, 2009 8:50 am
From the CR Web site that SEVERUS posted:  Here's how/why the garry posters write $80 for a garry vacuum replaced under warranty:

As with the bags, free isn't exactly no cost. You'll pay to ship the vacuum back to the manufacturer and $40 for shipment of the new model. All that on top of the $40 you spent on shipping in the first place.

In fact CR's figure of $80 understates the garry shipping costs.  Why?  As poster 10 says, he paid $11 to ship back the defective garry.  So the new/replaced garry cost him $91 not $80!  Suppose the 2nd garry fails, assuming another $11 to ship back and and $40 shipping for replacement.  Now, the shipping cost for the original purchase [with 2 replacements] is $142 [not counting the $200/$249 initial price paid and the bags every 4 months for $10 unless the buyer cancels them.  Very expensive proposition. 

Question:  What happens to the returned defective garry vacuums?  Refurbs?  Or dump junk?

Carmine D.

Replies: 10 - 19 of 47Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42