Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Cat and Dog hair/dander and allergies

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Nette

Cat and Dog hair/dander and allergies
Original Message   Jul 24, 2009 6:51 pm
I just found this site. I really need to get a new vacuum cleaner. Right now I just have a Eureka Mighty Mite with a HEPA filter. I have recently taken in a long-haired chihuahua and a cat (for a friend who is not able to care for them any longer). I am allergic to (and have also grown very fond of) both the cat and dog and I also have quite bad dust, mold, and pollen allergies. I live in an older split level house: the two upper floors are bare wood with no rugs and the lower two floors are covered with wall-to-wall very-low-pile commercial carpet. The cat (bless her) is generally content to voluntarily stay in the basement all of the time with the exception of just one or two very brief morning strolls each day to the next two higher floors. She sheds what seems to a cat neophyte like myself to be an enormous amount of fur but I'm told by friends who are cat owners that it is a normal amount. The chihuahua just wants to be in the same room with me although I have kept her out of the bedrooms and bathroom on the top floor. I have looked at quite a few vacuum cleaners from the very inexpensive to Miele and Lindhaus and I still am unsure of what to get. I've never had to deal with pet hair and dander before. What would work best for pet hair and dander on low-pile commercial carpet and still be good for bare wood floors and have a good filtering system for allergens? I do know that I would like the self sealing type of bag that is in the Miele (and perhaps other brands?) because of my allergy problems. I can spend up to $850 if I have to but it would be much better for my budget to spend less. I'm sorry for the long-winded description. Advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you.
Replies: 13 - 22 of 39Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Nette

Re: Cat and Dog hair/dander and allergies
Reply #13   Aug 4, 2009 7:31 pm
The Sebo works great in every way except in one key area: air filtration. Given the allergic reaction (nose, throat, eyes) I have within a couple of minutes of turning it on, it seems as if there is next to no air filtration despite its claims otherwise. I wasn't able to tell this in the store because I tried the vacuum for less than thirty seconds at a time (I tried it several times) as it's such a small shop and it was hard to avoid the other customers coming and going. Maybe this particular vacuum is just not working well but all of the filtration components seem to be installed correctly and in good shape. I had an old Nilfisk until a few years ago and its filtration was much better. I also have less of an allergic reaction using the little Mighty Mite with the HEPA filter (although in every other way the Mighty Mite is obviously not nearly as good a vacuum).

I can return the vacuum but the store charges a twenty percent restocking fee. I can probably exchange it for an Oreck and not be charged a restocking fee (the store doesn't carry Mieles).
mole

Reply #14   Aug 4, 2009 8:33 pm
Look in to a PROTEAM Xp1500 . This is the best bang for the buck upright on the market.You would be hard pressed to find any better at any price.One of its nicer features is it has a 50ft power cord.If you are truely looking for 20 to 25 year machine this is it,

Check it out

MOLE
retardturtle1

Reply #15   Aug 4, 2009 10:04 pm
mole wrote:
Look in to a PROTEAM Xp1500 . This is the best bang for the buck upright on the market.You would be hard pressed to find any better at any price.One of its nicer features is it has a 50ft power cord.If you are truely looking for 20 to 25 year machine this is it,

Check it out

MOLE

heard those had the same outstanding quality filtering as  lindhause and miele...hospital grade if im not mistaken. ..arent  they made by eka/santr ?

ps. is it me or is that felix one ugly vac...

turtle1

This message was modified Aug 4, 2009 by retardturtle1
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #16   Aug 4, 2009 10:50 pm
Nette,

If you like the Sebo otherwise, I wouldn't give up on it so quickly.  Certainly you should ask a vacuum professional to check that all the filters are installed properly.  However, your vacuum cleaner is just one part of the puzzle. 

If you have mold in your heating and air system or cat/dog dander in the air, there's not a lot that a vacuum cleaner can do for you. There has been an inordinate amount of rain in some parts of the country which could exacerbate your allergy symptoms with the increased mold and mildew in the air. 

I would recommend that you do some research on the allergy buyer's club web site:  http://www.allergybuyersclub.com/acr/acr_53.shtml#2

It's also possible that you might have to suffer through allergy shots as payment for the enjoyment you get from the cat and dog.  

I wish you well, and hope you find a solution to your allergy problems. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Nette

Reply #17   Aug 5, 2009 12:06 am
I've had allergies all of my life and I am aware (and have tried most) of the various treatments available. I already do quite a bit for allergies in regard to indoor air quality: e.g. HEPA room air purifiers throughout the house and on the HVAC system, carpet and upholstery treatments, etc. These are quite helpful. (I have also purchased products recommended by Allergy Buyers Club with mixed results.) Unfortunately, the Sebo Felix does not seem to work as well at filtration as other vacuums I've had and the difference is very noticeable in regard to my allergy symptoms when I use the vacuum.
This message was modified Aug 5, 2009 by Nette
CarmineD

Reply #18   Aug 5, 2009 6:51 am
Hello Nette:

Sorry to hear the results were negative for filtration.  I took the liberty to post this based on MOLE and turtle1's posts.  I agree with Severus, it may not be the vacuum alone and/or you may be able to minimize the negative filtration effects w/o a vacuum change.

Carmine D.

FREE SHIPPING ON THE PROTEAM XP 1500

ProTeam ProCare XP1500 Upright Vacuum has the following features:

ProCare Innovations ProCare has a LONGER HOSE with 2 1/2 feet more reach due to hose length and straight wand.

The resilient new wand, made of durable ABS plastic with less restriction points, will cut down on time-consuming clogs. The operating switch has been moved to the top of the handle for easier user access. The new over-molded handle has a comfortable ergonomic style with softer grip. The handle weight is now 20% lighter due to tool changes and a new polycarbonate handle. A strain relief has been included and is EASILY SERVICEABLE with nothing more than a flathead screwdriver - one third the tools are needed with half of the effort! The tool dock has been moved to the back of the vacuum, where it is more centrally located for EASE OF USE and takes extra weight off the hanlde. A convenient BAG COVER RELEASE button has been added to ensure SECURE latching. When replacing the bag lock out switch, removing the whole bag housing is no longer required as only one screw is involved making it EASY to repair. The integrated HEPA after filter now comes as a standard feature. The bag housing hose connection has a "simplified friction fit conneciton", making it more serviceable, as it requires less parts. Several improvements to the cord include: an additional 3 feet of working length, flexible in nature making it EASIER TO WORK WITH. A quick release CORD DROP has also been added to simplify unwinding the cord for operator convenience.

ProCare 15 Features: Power: 1160 W / 120 V Airflow: 96 CFM Sound: 77 dB (decibels) Static lift: 72" Intercept Micro Filter™ media: 207 sq. in. Removes allergens for better indoor air quality Captures and contains more dust to dramatically reduce follow up dusting Warranty: 5 years Four Level FiltrationProTeam's unique suction method of vacuuming cleans carpeting and floors without stirring up dust. The air stays cleaner, furniture collects less dust, and the operator can work without breathing unhealthy air. The Four-Level Filtration system is up to 99.79% efficient in filtering particles.

Pro Team ProCare 15XP (Upright Vacuum) The ProCare models are offered with an internal HEPA media filter and organically treated Intercept Micro Filter that capture up to 99.79% of dust mites, pollen, bacteria and chemical residue measuring 1 micron and larger. ProCare 15XP carries a 5/5/5/Life warranty - 5 years parts, 5 years labor, 5 years motor and lifetime on the molded body parts when used in a residential setting.

Includes: 14 1/2" brush roll, 35 ft. 18 gauge black power cord, electronic system performance indicator HEPA media filter exhaust quick release cord dump ergonomic padded handle grip with conveniently mounted 3-way power switch and on-board detail tools.

ProCare 15XP Specs Power: 1160 W Weight: 18 lbs. Filtration: Four-Level Filtration Micro Filter : 247.5 sq. in. Airflow: 96 CFM Static lift: 72 Amps: 11

Availability: Usually ships the next business day.

PROTEAM PROCARE XP1500 UPRIGHT VACUUM CLEANER with FREE Shipping PROTEAM-XP1500Regular price: $499.99Sale price: $349.88

PROTEAM UPRIGHT HIGH FILTRATION VACUUM CLEANER BAGPROTEAM UPRIGHT HIGH FILTRATION VACUUM CLEANER BAGThese are the Proteam Upright Bags for all the Pro Team Upright Vacuum Cleaners.

12/pk

Availability: Usually ships the next business day.

PROTEAM-UPBAGRegular price: $14.99Sale price: $8.88

mole

Reply #19   Aug 5, 2009 7:29 am
Hi Carmine, thanks do you agree that this machine is EXCELLENT for the price, the only drawback is that its a little heavy to lug up and down stairs but for that price you might want one for each floor.......

MOLE
CarmineD

Reply #20   Aug 5, 2009 7:32 am
mole wrote:
Hi Carmine, thanks do you agree that this machine is EXCELLENT for the price, the only drawback is that its a little heavy to lug up and down stairs but for that price you might want one for each floor.......

MOLE

Hi MOLE:

Great price.  At 18 pounds not really heavy.  I'd buy for myself and may!

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #21   Aug 5, 2009 8:16 am
Are you guys trying to make me feel bad about my Miele Tango?

The Pro-Team does look like a really nice machine. First thing I noticed was the Electrolux-like self-sealing bag. A good thing.

Venson
mole

Reply #22   Aug 5, 2009 8:46 am
Hi Venson, yes the bags are the type U lux bags, The filters are in the bags ,so every time you change the bag you also get a fresh set of filters,Did you know ELECTROLUX in 1950 introduced the first multi filter self sealing bag,and in 1952 introduced the automatic shut off system and till this day still do.

The PROTEAM uyprights are the same as the aerus/electrolux commercial uprights,except that the tools are onboard,and just little tweaks here and there, This product has a storied history behind it, If my application called for an upright the proteam would certainly be in my own home........

regards

MOLE

B.T.W look how in expensive the high filtration bags are 8.88 for 12 bags.Such a deal''.

Replies: 13 - 22 of 39Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42