Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Eureka 1934 The Boss

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
vaclov

Eureka 1934 The Boss
Original Message   May 17, 2009 3:56 pm
My central vacuum is currently out of service due to warping/melting pipes in the attic, and until I can rake up enough money to have an attic fan installed I had to buy a cheap temporary vacuum. I opted to buy the Eureka but have since noticed that the belts tend to wear out very quickly, I have to change them every couple of weeks and I only vacuum two to three times per week. I don't remember having to change a belt on this type of vacuum so often in the past. Is it normal for these vacuums to go through frequent belt changes? I thought about bringing out my Singer SST but its just too loud and hard to push.
Replies: 3 - 12 of 22Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuumfreeeke

Re: Eureka 1934 The Boss
Reply #3   Sep 21, 2009 7:19 pm
Vaclov, if you're still reading the forum, how did the Eureka turn out for you?  I just bought one at the GoodWill for 25 bucks.... I don't think it's quite worth that much used, but it's in great shape and I LOVE it.  It's quiet, powerful, and really quite beautiful.  It just GLIDES across the carpet, super easy to push.  I think I may forsake the Miele, Kirbys, and Dyson for a long time so I can enjoy this simple beauty (and my new Hoover Steam Vac LOL).  Reminds me a lot of my Sanitaire SC687, save the shake out bag, 50 foot cord, and metal handle on the Sanitaire.  I don't even use the Sanitaire because of that awful long cord.  The 1934A has a super short cord (20 ft) so I may have to add an extension cord.  Why can all vacuums have 30 feet cords... that would be a great comprimise!  Or at least a quick release cord hook!
retardturtle1

Reply #4   Sep 22, 2009 11:52 pm
vaclov wrote:
My central vacuum is currently out of service due to warping/melting pipes in the attic, and until I can rake up enough money to have an attic fan installed I had to buy a cheap temporary vacuum. I opted to buy the Eureka but have since noticed that the belts tend to wear out very quickly, I have to change them every couple of weeks and I only vacuum two to three times per week. I don't remember having to change a belt on this type of vacuum so often in the past. Is it normal for these vacuums to go through frequent belt changes? I thought about bringing out my Singer SST but its just too loud and hard to push.

HI VACLOV

I have found that too low a setting will usually wear a belt out really fast......causing brushroll to kinda drag....usually the ones that come in the shop are set on 1 or 2...kinda low w/bent bristles on roller....from drag id say.....but this is just one of a few causes of belt wear....just what ive seen.  I like the 1934s...nice deep cleaners @durable....well worth the price....proper height adj. is a must on these. hope this helps.

turtle1

CarmineD

Reply #5   Sep 23, 2009 7:15 am
Hello 'turtle1', Vaclov:

I mentioned on another thread that I repaired a neighbor's [she's moving] bagless EUREKA Uno model 2999 and loaned her a HOOVER TEMPO to clean her house before she leaves.  When she returned with the HOOVER TEMPO, I gave her the diagnosis for the the EUREKA Uno:  Motor is going bad from dirt [due to dirty/unmaintained filters] that has degraded the motor's life.  It will keep going on well for awhile longer IF she cleans/maintains the filters and doesn't mind the noise.  She said she planned to dispose of it when she left LV and I was welcomed to keep it.  It's in the garage with the line up of other vacuums.  I used recently to clean out the inside of the cars. I like the turbo tool on it and the long crevice tool.  It's considerably noisey from the bad motor bearings.  But still more life in it before it bites the dust for good.  $99 after Sam's $20 rebate at the register about 3 years ago.  Clogged and dirty pre-motor filter that the user [a writer] never maintained did it in.  I have no doubt that a bagged cleaner like this one [read BOSS] would still be going strong.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Sep 23, 2009 by CarmineD
Vacuumfreeeke

Reply #6   Sep 23, 2009 11:07 am
The Uno is a disposable toy... one that doesn't work that well to start with and wasn't designed to last very long anyway.  The vacuum this thread is about (the 1934A) is a great machine because it is based on the older platform.  It's bagged, black, and beautiful!  It's my favorite vacuum now, and my current daily driver!!
CarmineD

Reply #7   Sep 23, 2009 12:21 pm
Vacuumfreeeke wrote:
The Uno is a disposable toy... one that doesn't work that well to start with and wasn't designed to last very long anyway.  The vacuum this thread is about (the 1934A) is a great machine because it is based on the older platform.  It's bagged, black, and beautiful!  It's my favorite vacuum now, and my current daily driver!!

Hello Vacuumfreeeke:

To put a picture with the model:

Eureka 1934 Vacuums

Tho an old platform and fan first design, it was/is for its time, due to the plasticity, also considered a cheap lightweight disposable.  Uses a metal/wooden brushroll and metal soleplate with type F& G bags.  No light.  6 height adjustments.  Small motor and plastic fan with a short cord and switch on the hood.  Worse of all an all plastic handle.  By far, its worse feature in my humble opinion save the tinker toyish motor.  It is not effective with attachments which were available at extra cost and converted under the machine's brushroll housing.  Sold primarily through big box retail stores as low as $50 on occasions. 

It is the basis, at least in name only, for the EUREKA BOSS which also is sold new today and consistently rated a top performer and BEST BUY by Consumer Reports.  Tho, today's BOSS and UNO are on similar platforms and designs with tools on board and today's BOSS is available with paper bags/bagless.  My preference is bagged on this model.

Putting a pic with the EUREKA UNO 2999:

Uno | 2999DVZ

A decent rug and tool performer but skittish on longevity.  Why?  The bagless design and temperamental pre-motor filter.  Tho, it packs a wallop with 12 amps as opposed to the 5 amp BOSS upright above.  Also available in a lovely light blue.  And HEPA rated due to the post motor HEPA pleated filter.  It's worse feature IMHO is that it is a bagless.  Makes it prone to a short-lived useful life if not treated with extra TLC. 

Carmine D.

Vacuumfreeeke

Reply #8   Sep 23, 2009 1:46 pm
The 1934A has 6 height adjustments instead of 3.  Amps mean only how much electricity the machine uses, not how well it can clean.  The Uno has the paper pleated filter that will clog almost instantly upon use.  The fan first design and the beater bars on the 1934A, not to mention the bagged design mean that it will outperform the Uno on carpet.  The Uno may have a headlight, but the light shines right on the base of the vacuum cleaner and casts a shadow on the floor actually hiding the dirt right in front of the cleaner, similar to Hoover WindTunnels.  Nice!!  I don't know why they can't put a light right on the front of of the machine where it belongs. 
Venson

Reply #9   Sep 23, 2009 3:02 pm
Vacuumfreeeke wrote:
. . . I don't know why they can't put a light right on the front of of the machine where it belongs. 

Hi VF,

It's not done because it means money as far as the manufacturer is concerned. To put a headlight directly over or in front of where the brushroll sits means extra wiring if not a re-design. Vacuum makers are not in the habit of giving us "niceties" unless we're will willing to go for their mark-up in the process.

You'll see in the Eureka and any other brand line that the more you get, the more you pay.

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #10   Sep 23, 2009 4:22 pm
Vacuumfreeeke wrote:
The 1934A has 6 height adjustments instead of 3.  Amps mean only how much electricity the machine uses, not how well it can clean.  The Uno has the paper pleated filter that will clog almost instantly upon use.  The fan first design and the beater bars on the 1934A, not to mention the bagged design mean that it will outperform the Uno on carpet.  The Uno may have a headlight, but the light shines right on the base of the vacuum cleaner and casts a shadow on the floor actually hiding the dirt right in front of the cleaner, similar to Hoover WindTunnels.  Nice!!  I don't know why they can't put a light right on the front of of the machine where it belongs. 

Hello Vacuumfreeeke:

Thank you for the correction.  The EUREKA UNO has 6 height adjustments with the barefloor setting!  The BOSS 1934 upright doesn't have a head light, in part, because it is an inexpensive upright vacuum.  As Venson says, the more they add, the more they have to charge. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #11   Sep 23, 2009 4:25 pm
Vacuumfreeeke wrote:

Hi VF:

The EUREKA UNO pre-motor filter is a foam rubber filter, even worse than the paper pleated, but is washable.  On a good note it is not in the dirt bin but separate from it.  The post-motor filter on the UNO is a HEPA rated paper pleated filter [but not washable].

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #12   Sep 23, 2009 4:49 pm
Hello Venson, VF et al:

One of the disadvantages of the conventional lightbulb in/over the brush roll housing is bulb failure.  The old SINGER uprights from the 50's and more recently the RICCAR/SIMPLICITY uprights with headlights in these locations tend to blow out quickly.  Why?  Herky jerky movements and vibration of the brushroll housing.  The LED lights have overcome the bulb failure problem but are costly and generally found only in the high end uprights with premium prices.  Except of course that infamous d brand.

Carmine D.

Replies: 3 - 12 of 22Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42