Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Airmuscle™ technology - Dyson’s DC28... A floating head on steroids.

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DysonInventsBig

Original Message   May 14, 2009 5:50 pm
This message was modified May 15, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 29 - 38 of 106Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
iMacDaddy

Electrolux UltraOne EL7070, Bissell BigGreen Deep Cleaning Machine

redundant post - ignore
Reply #29   Jun 14, 2009 12:27 am
redundant post - ignore
This message was modified Jun 14, 2009 by iMacDaddy
iMacDaddy

redundant post - ignore
Reply #30   Jun 14, 2009 12:27 am
redundant post - ignore
This message was modified Jun 14, 2009 by iMacDaddy
iMacDaddy

Dyson DC28 reviewed by Consumer Reports: Earns "Very Good" score on carpet test
Reply #31   Jun 14, 2009 12:29 am
Consumer Reports has tested the DC28, and it has earned a "Very Good" score on the carpet cleaning test. They also noted the pet hair performance, as well as tool airflow performance. However, they made a note of how the DC28 may be difficult to push and pull on carpets....which can be the case only if you don't have the brush dropped low enough; like trying to vacuum deep pile carpets with the "short pile" setting.

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/home/2009/06/dyson-dc28-animal-upright-airmuscle-vacuum-consumer-reports-vacuum-reviews-ratings-best-vacuum-dc17.html
CarmineD

Re: Dyson DC28 reviewed by Consumer Reports: Earns "Very Good" score on carpet test
Reply #32   Jun 14, 2009 6:38 am
iMacDaddy wrote:
Consumer Reports has tested the DC28, and it has earned a "Very Good" score on the carpet cleaning test. They also noted the pet hair performance, as well as tool airflow performance. However, they made a note of how the DC28 may be difficult to push and pull on carpets....which can be the case only if you don't have the brush dropped low enough; like trying to vacuum deep pile carpets with the "short pile" setting.

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/home/2009/06/dyson-dc28-animal-upright-airmuscle-vacuum-consumer-reports-vacuum-reviews-ratings-best-vacuum-dc17.html

The additional gadgetry in the brush roll housing adds to the vacuum's nozzle weight when pushing and pulling.  Add the usual vacuuming resistance from brush roll action, it makes pulling/pushing an issue and the proper height setting more important. 

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #33   Jun 14, 2009 9:20 am
Hi,

To be exact CR scored the DC28 as "very good" for carpet, "very good" re tool airflow, "excellent" re emissions, "very good" re pet hair, "excellent" on bare floors, "good" regarding noise but only "fair" in regard to handling.

Though I will never rush out to bring one home, these are the best scores I have ever seen for any single Dyson model by way of CR.

What I also wonder about is how long all this lasts. I feel it's easy to put a new machine through it paces for a short time but the true assessment can't be established until a couple of years or so down the line. How long will the electronic and pneumatic systems endure and are they easily repairable or replaceable by users?

Venson
mole

Reply #34   Jun 14, 2009 9:22 am
As usual for dyson his inventions mean nothing to the vacuum cleaner buying public, no benefits at all to the buyer,just an  excuse to keep the r@d money flowing,

You guys talk about everything that means nothing to the consumer,sounds like research lab mumbo jumbo, when is dyson going to learn that a vacuum cleaner is a device for picking up dirt and filth from carpets and flooring? And that as long as the dirt comes out of the carpet the public really doesnt care how,

How much does this piece of artwork cost ? 3 or 4 thousand?

I see the famous dyson cyclone system cant keep up with an industry standard brush system,Oh no what do we do now,retards

regards

MOLE
retardturtle1

Reply #35   Jun 14, 2009 12:36 pm
mole wrote:
As usual for dyson his inventions mean nothing to the vacuum cleaner buying public, no benefits at all to the buyer,just an  excuse to keep the r@d money flowing,

You guys talk about everything that means nothing to the consumer,sounds like research lab mumbo jumbo, when is dyson going to learn that a vacuum cleaner is a device for picking up dirt and filth from carpets and flooring? And that as long as the dirt comes out of the carpet the public really doesnt care how,

How much does this piece of artwork cost ? 3 or 4 thousand?

I see the famous dyson cyclone system cant keep up with an industry standard brush system,Oh no what do we do now,retards

regards

MOLE

hi mole

hahahaha...that funny....but heres an answer.....once all the hubub dies down they go on the shelves in the back...where they sit...then years later they  take a load to OPRAH[again] RACHEAL-AND CONAN......and JAY can hand them out as gifts to the passer-bys during his new show.....and if the beancounters  time it just right ...like say around christmas....DYSON can gift them to be re-gifted by our fav talk show hosts......there you go, over filled shelves are now empty.

CarmineD

Reply #36   Jun 15, 2009 7:06 am
Venson wrote:
Hi,

To be exact CR scored the DC28 as "very good" for carpet, "very good" re tool airflow, "excellent" re emissions, "very good" re pet hair, "excellent" on bare floors, "good" regarding noise but only "fair" in regard to handling.

Though I will never rush out to bring one home, these are the best scores I have ever seen for any single Dyson model by way of CR.

What I also wonder about is how long all this lasts. I feel it's easy to put a new machine through it paces for a short time but the true assessment can't be established until a couple of years or so down the line. How long will the electronic and pneumatic systems endure and are they easily repairable or replaceable by users?

Venson

Hello Venson:

The  BIG 3 for Consumer Reports are Carpet Cleaning, Bare Floor Cleaning and Tool Cleaning.  HOOVER WT Anniversary Edition for $230 aced all 3 of these categories with EXCELLENT.  WRT Emissions, H-WT is EXCELLENT; WRT Handling, H-WT is GOOD, WRT pet hair, H-WT is VERY GOOD, WRT noise, H-WT was FAIR.  Oh well, wax earplugs are cheap enough and prevalent in all stores.  If you're old like me and can't hear well, noise is not a factor for vacuums. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jun 15, 2009 by CarmineD
vacmanuk

Reply #37   Jun 15, 2009 9:33 am
Do you guys not have any stores where you can visit and try them out? In the UK we have John Lewis; they let you spend enough time with it before you decide, even if you don't make a purchase.
This message was modified Jun 15, 2009 by vacmanuk
DysonInventsBig

Reply #38   Jun 15, 2009 3:26 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
iMacDaddy,

Thank you for the review, pics and video!

Viewing your movie in slow-mo (@ counter 00:42 - 00:46) it looks like the floating head actually raised up (not pushed down) from the carpeting.  Although this could be do to the brushroll tuffs pushing against the mid/high pile carpeting when the vac is set to a low-pile setting.

Q:  Is the “Airmuscle” pushing (downward) or pulling the nozzle upward when vacuuming your mid/deep pile carpeting?

Thanks,

DIB

iMacDaddy wrote:
Hi DIB,

I view the nozzle lifting up as a result of the brush roller pushing down on the carpet, lifting up the floor nozzle as a result.  I like using the "Deep pile" lowest brush roll setting because I feel it delivers the best results for deep cleaning, even though I should probably be using the medium, and even low pile settings for some of the carpets in my household (actually my parents household until I go to college this fall).  Despite the visible lifting, the Airmuscle piston is actually pulling the nozzle inward, which in effect tightens the nozzles contact with the surface.  At first I was curious to see if the piston was actually working at first, since I could not feel the nozzle being pushed into the floor, so I place the maching on a table with the floor nozzle off the edge as I turned the machine on.  As I had it running, I gently kept the nozzle lifted, and as I went from the Bare floor to the Low, Medium, and Deep pile settings, the piston actually did pull in the floor nozzle with considerable amounts of tension.  So now I know that it does indeed function.  I also tried the same test without the clear bin attached (meaning no airflow carried to the floor nozzle), and the air piston did not work, concluding that it draws the pressure from the main airflow, and not from some internal air compressor like I originally theorized.

I also had a little accidental run-in with a sock today that allowed me to see how the clutch would function during an obstruction, and it is not loud and irate like the clutch in a DC07 or DC14.  I didn't even know I ran over the sock until I had noticed the brushroll stopped rotating.  Then I looked over and saw a bright LED flashing from within the translucent red power button.  After that, I turned off the machine for a few seconds, removed the sock, and then turned it back on, and the brush roll was rotating as normal.  Shortly after that, I ran into some loose thick carpeting that was not propertly tacked down into the floor (think of trying to vacuum a bathroom rug), and once again, the clutch activated, with the light flashing again.  Doing what I did before, I turned off the machine, and turned it back on, with the brush roll running again.  The main observation that I gathered from these little mishaps is that the clutch does not emit any loud clicking/ratcheting noises that can be intensely irritating (for me anyway), like with the old DC07 and DC14.  It just stops the brush as an electric motor would with a shut off function.

iMacDaddy,

Your video shows the nozzle lifting off the carpeting on most of your close-ups - when the brushroll is turned on (and in the recline position)...  this is why I concluded the nozzle was lifting and not pushing into carpeting.  A 3rd look at your video - I could see one time where the nozzle looked like it was pushed into the carpeting....  I gotta say, I’m disappointed with pushing into carpeting strategy vice lifting carpeting to beat, sweep and suction.  The heavy feel/hard to push feel you and others describe about the vacuum is most likely due to the Airmuscle grip.  My DC21’s nozzle is brutal to push/pull/turn on my berber carpeting do the the vacs suction grip, weight of the power nozzle and a handle with little leverage (CR comment of the hard/heavy feel too).  While I am pleased at the amount of pick-up this vacuum achieves, I am disappointed hearing of the heavy/hard to push feel and the sand in the pre-filter.

Thanks,
DIB

Replies: 29 - 38 of 106Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42