Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Beam Serenity Plus (SP800) Rusted Plug

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
adalect

Beam Serenity Plus (SP800) Rusted Plug
Original Message   Mar 27, 2009 5:12 pm
Hi. I have an almost 7-year old Beam Serenity Plus that I use at my home.

It has been a good vacuum but now I notice it doesn't work as well as before. When I use it now, the vacuum flickers on and off every 20 seconds for some reason. I find that I have to press up on the top part of the vacuum tube, where the plug for power from the vacuum head fits in. I have recently took a look at the plug and found one of its pins is rusted badly.

The original pin colour is yellow, so you have an idea of how bad the rust is. The vacuum itself is still in good shape, so does anybody know how I can get this rust off? I find it a bother to throw away an otherwise perfectly good vacuum.

Thanks for the help.

EDIT: I copied a link and pasted it here for the pictures, but the pictures didn't embed. I then found the attach picture button, so that's why I edited this post.
This message was modified Mar 27, 2009 by adalect
Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
Venson

Re: Beam Serenity Plus (SP800) Rusted Plug
Reply #1   Mar 27, 2009 5:57 pm
Hi adalect,

I wouldn't worry about cleaning the pins but there's certainly no need to throw out the cleaning head. Change the power nozzle's cord. If the cord leading up your wand is is not detachable from the power nozzle have it changed at your local vac shop or buy a replacement and change it yourself if you're the handy sort. Notice carefully how the male end of the cord fits into the wand. This set up is for proper polarity so be sure to get a cord for the power nozzle that matches the way the old one is shaped.

You should also check the female electrical connections on your system hose's attachment end carefully to be sure there is no problem with the internal contacts. That may mean replacing the hose if the existing handle can't be repaired or a replacement handle fitted on.

Hope that helps --

Venson
This message was modified Mar 27, 2009 by Venson
CarmineD

Reply #2   Mar 27, 2009 6:34 pm
Venson is right about the replacement. 

Just another option IF the prongs are tight.  Clean the rust away.  Fine sand paper works.  A small cardboard finger nail file which all ladies carry/use works too.  And also a drill with a small wire brush attached works well and does so quickly.  As mentioned, the key factor for this repair is that the prongs are tight and not loose/no play back and forth and up and down.

Carmine D.

Vacuuman

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Reply #3   Mar 27, 2009 9:41 pm
The pin is burnt, not rusted, you'll need to replace both the cord on the p/n and the receptacle in the hose end.

What causes this is disconnecting the hose from the hose from the wand without turning the p/n off first.
Venson

Reply #4   Mar 27, 2009 9:58 pm
Wow! Vacuuman you're the man. Quick question -- are central vac hose ends easily replaceable? It seems, or so we are told, in like cases regarding portable vacs, that the entire hose hose to be replaced.

Thanks,

Venson
Vacuuman

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Reply #5   Mar 27, 2009 10:01 pm
You take the end apart, and replace the wiring harness inside it. Just take the screws out of the side of the housing, and it comes in half, and is pretty self explanatory from there.
adalect

Thanks
Reply #6   Mar 27, 2009 11:19 pm
Thanks guys for your speed replies. I will try everything that was suggested here and that should solve my problems.
CarmineD

Reply #7   Mar 28, 2009 7:28 am
Venson and Vacuuman made excellent points.  Just another thought on cleaning the rust/burn marks:  Soft steel wool.  Again, only if the prongs are intact and not loose.

Carmine D.

Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42