Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > The all new Dyson DC26 "Japan"

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Acerone

The all new Dyson DC26 "Japan"
Original Message   Mar 13, 2009 5:05 pm
Dyson Japan

This message was modified Mar 14, 2009 by Acerone
Replies: 140 - 149 of 159Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
HARDSELL

Re: The all new Dyson DC26 "Japan"
Reply #140   Jan 26, 2010 5:47 pm
Severus wrote:
 If DIB would like to provide evidence (i.e. links to newspaper articles) about immigration busts at Oreck to back up his claims, I'm ready to listen.  Unsubstantiated accusations of wrong doing by Oreck are unacceptable.  It's sad that Dustmite tries to deflect legitimate criticism of Dyson products by making  random accusations of wrongdoing by competitors.   Oreck picked Cookeville because of it's educated workforce and demographics and most importantly whatever incentives were given it to locate there.  

I have serious doubts that Oreck employes any illegals.  No need to.  Oreck cashed in on an opportunity when TRW closed leaviung a facility and lots of unemployeed personnel.

Some info on Cookeville jobs:

Household Income
Less than $10,00019%
$10,000 to $14,99910%
$15,000 to $24,99919%
$25,000 to $34,99913%
$35,000 to $49,99915%
$50,000 to $74,99912%

Education
Less than 9th grade12%
9th to 12th grade, no diploma14%
High school graduate25%
Some college, no degree18%
Associate's degree3%
Bachelor's degree16%
Graduate degree12%

Cookeville is an excellent distribution point for shipping.  Better than MS.  I do not see education as being a viable reason to locate there.  Not many degreed persons willing to work in a factory assembling vacuums. 

CarmineD

Reply #141   Jan 26, 2010 8:34 pm
HARDSELL wrote:

Cookeville is an excellent distribution point for shipping.  Better than MS.  I do not see education as being a viable reason to locate there.  Not many degreed persons willing to work in a factory assembling vacuums. 

In good economic times, I agree.  In current economic times, I disagree.  As unemployemnt rises especially among professionals, employers/companies are more selective and discerning.  Degreed persons push out non-degreed persons for available jobs.  A factory job with benefits paying $14 an hour is very desirable over no work at all.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #142   Jan 27, 2010 6:56 am
Severus wrote:
 If DIB would like to provide evidence (i.e. links to newspaper articles) about immigration busts at Oreck to back up his claims, I'm ready to listen.  Unsubstantiated accusations of wrong doing by Oreck are unacceptable.  It's sad that Dustmite tries to deflect legitimate criticism of Dyson products by making  random accusations of wrongdoing by competitors.   Oreck picked Cookeville because of it's educated workforce and demographics and most importantly whatever incentives were given it to locate there.  

SEVERUS:

Agree.  These are typically the reasons that localities use to win over employers to locate in their areas.  I'm sure with the economic times like they are, the persons who closed the deal with ORECK are patting themselves on their backs now.  Likewise, employers frequently cite these reasons for their relocations.  Education level is and always was a major selling point for business relocations.  Companies don't want to be labelled as moving to Dunceville USA.

Carmine D.

Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #143   Jan 27, 2010 10:03 am
CarmineD wrote:
SEVERUS:

Agree.  These are typically the reasons that localities use to win over employers to locate in their areas.  I'm sure with the economic times like they are, the persons who closed the deal with ORECK are patting themselves on their backs now.  Likewise, employers frequently cite these reasons for their relocations.  Education level is and always was a major selling point for business relocations.  Companies don't want to be labelled as moving to Dunceville USA.

Carmine D.

Having a university nearby is almost always a plus.   Based on some googling, I noticed that Tom Oreck has had some involvement with the Tennessee Tech (TTU) MBA program.   I don't know if Oreck has used Industrial engineers from TTU to help optimize the plant set up or to optimize processes.  

Here's a token piece of TTU  trivia.  TTU used to have a mechanical engineering professor with the last name Bagci.   He was apparently an expert in robotics who consulted on the original Star Wars movies.   When C3PO says that he speaks the "Bagci" language, it's in honor of  Dr. Bagci.  

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
CarmineD

Reply #144   Jan 27, 2010 1:28 pm
Severus wrote:
Having a university nearby is almost always a plus.   Based on some googling, I noticed that Tom Oreck has had some involvement with the Tennessee Tech (TTU) MBA program.   I don't know if Oreck has used Industrial engineers from TTU to help optimize the plant set up or to optimize processes.  

Here's a token piece of TTU  trivia.  TTU used to have a mechanical engineering professor with the last name Bagci.   He was apparently an expert in robotics who consulted on the original Star Wars movies.   When C3PO says that he speaks the "Bagci" language, it's in honor of  Dr. Bagci.  

Didn't know that, very interesting.  Always enjoy knowing the story within the story.  Thanks.

On the Tom Oreck TTU connection, you raise an interesting point.  Always beneficial for schools and companies to partner with intern programs and community projects.  A huge boost for the area and its people.

Carmine D.

Acerone

Reply #145   May 24, 2010 4:10 pm
The DC26 is now sold in Canada... Any word on it coming to the US....
retardturtle1

Reply #146   May 24, 2010 6:01 pm
Acerone wrote:
The DC26 is now sold in Canada... Any word on it coming to the US....

So whats the price on this canadian maybe us version .
Venson

Reply #147   May 24, 2010 6:55 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:
So whats the price on this canadian maybe us version .

The punch line is -- about $700.  This vacuum will prove whether or not the American economy is reviving.

Venson

Trebor

Reply #148   May 25, 2010 7:20 am
As a three time college grad currently working on a masters I would JUMP on a 14.00/hr job with or without benefits. The economy has recovered a heck of a lot more in Cookeville, TN than it has in Fort Wayne, IN. There are a small and dwindling number of factor jobs that pay even 10.00/hr here.
Venson

Reply #149   May 25, 2010 7:48 am
Trebor wrote:
As a three time college grad currently working on a masters I would JUMP on a 14.00/hr job with or without benefits. The economy has recovered a heck of a lot more in Cookeville, TN than it has in Fort Wayne, IN. There are a small and dwindling number of factor jobs that pay even 10.00/hr here.

Here in New York, regardless of wage offered, the problem is the gathered and still growing throng.  Last interview -- one adminidtrative position with 300 applicants vying for it.  Thus, I have to give Dyson a few points for enthusiasm and blind ambition. 

You know what they say, "When the going gets rough the tough go shopping."  Let's see if it's true.

Venson

Replies: 140 - 149 of 159Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42