Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > “Anything” Dyson that makes news.

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DysonInventsBig

Original Message   Jun 28, 2008 12:41 am

Dyson is in the news frequently and so a dedicated thread.

This message was modified Aug 2, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 565 - 574 of 624Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Venson

Reply #565   Jan 29, 2009 9:43 am
Trebor wrote:
Venson,

I appreciate everything in your response, and yet I cannot concur with your rather generous view of CR ratings (BTW, you did not like your Bosch dishwasher? I replaced my broke 12 yr old  K/A with one and LOVE it! I cannot find a single fault with it.) Look at the highly rated kenmore canisters that need frequent hose replacments. CR has been way off the mark too many times for me to have much faith in them. If you can, get copies of all their vac ratings over the last 5 yrs. Compare then and watch how the ratings of the same machines change.

If the dear woman who is sheltering these strays has allergies severe enough to use medications and/or inhalers she should keep the Miele and buy the bags, maybe shop around for the best price. If she is using the above mentioned items, perhaps the saleperson did not consider the cost of bags would be an issue for her, food, vet bills, allergy meds, what's the cost of a few dustbags? Miele bags come 5 to a pack, and it is possible to buy them in generic hi-filtration by Envirocare from www.allergybags.com   20 bags and 8 pre-motor filters for either 55.00 or 69.00 (depending on which style) no tax and free shipping. Naturally the vac shop which sold it to her is not going to suggest it. From the picture, the bags look like the same material. I checked Ineedbags, allbags, and gottahavebags. allergybags has the best price.They may actually be the same manufacturer Miele has make the bags under their label. That breaks down to 2.75 or 3.50/bag. Hoover and D/D bags routinely run 9.99 for a 3pack, so the cost is very competitive.

An absolutely brilliant ad campaign for Miele would be to offer a 50.00 coupon off the price of a new Miele with a proof of adoption of a dog from a rescue organization, along with the first pack of bags free!

I'm jealous, I have always thought the Nilfisk G80 was a cool vac,

Hi Trebor,

I signed up for CR Online a a good while back and have kept up with vac ratings.  I especially like the fact that users may now post opinions whether in line with or contrary to CR's.  I have found them to be consistent.  It likes Kenmore, I do too.  Good cleaners at nice prices.  Yes, I know of and have lived the hose issue but also discovered how to fix it without a great deal of expense.  I gave my last Kenmore can to a friend a couple of years ago.  He likes it and it is still working well.  I like and own Miele though CR usually only rates them as "good".  You can note in the responses by consumers that most folks who get them like them a lot too.  My only issue is price.  I'd recommend a Kenmore over a Miele any day if budget is a really serious concern.  That is why we have Chevrolets and Mercedes.  anyway . . .

The U Hyclean bags for the Miele S7 come in packages of only four.  If you can get a box of bags for $15.00 you've done an amazing thing.  I can get five boxes of bags for $70.00 ($3.50 instead of $4.25 when buying boxes singly). Please note that I've seen the same deal for around $15 higher.

Did you see Miele's description of the new bags?  http://www.miele.com/products/accessories.asp?cat=1&subcat=2&menu_id=6&nav=30&snav=23&tnav=32&oT=122

I'm very determined about this and am going to continue to sniff around until I find out what the bags actually cost to make.  I am not as concerned over competitive pricing as I am about fair pricing.  It basically comes down to my desire to finally know whether these babies cost two bucks a piece to make or just 25 cents.

As for the dishwasher -- as I don't own my building I can't do anything about our marginal wiring situation.  Come summer you've got no chance of keeping cool and vacuuming at the same time.  The circuit breakers kick off at the drop of a hat.  My landlord's a sweet guy but he'd rather collect money than spend it.  On my end --  the rent's "cheap" and I'm not moving. 

I wanted a Miele, same capacity, but the price was nose-bleed high (what else is new) and I opted for Bosch which cost about $500 less.  The selling point regarding the Bosch I bought was that it allegedly super heats the  water in the last rinse and in result heated dishes dry all on their own. Steam from them condenses and the water formed goes down the drain.  Wanna buy the Brooklyn Bridge?

The purchase was made as I thought how great it would work while not overtaxing the circuitry as it does not possess the usual calrod heater  AND no heater -- less energy use.  That was all good too as you can place items made of any kind of material at the top or bottom of the machine without worry.  It washed well enough but the condensation deal was a dud.  Washloads did not fully dry.  You came back to a load of damp dishes the next morning. 

At this point you all may feel free to have a big yuk, yuk, yuk at my expense as this where the line is drawn between the consumer blinded by "science" and the practical shopper.  I could have bought a good far less expensive machine and simply opened the door after the last rinse was done and got a better result.

My interest in the Miele Slimline was due to claims of its being flood proof, having water softening capability, top spray and forced air drying.  I have seen a model by SMEG that has similar qualities at a nicer price but as it has a slightly complex system regarding spray delivery I think I'm going to pass.  The Bosh is definitley beng tossed and replaced with a less expensive, more effective machine and I'm going to be so happy.

Speaking of Nilfisk, the GS80s are back again.  I think for a brief while the household version wasn't being offered.  Relatively light and without a lot of bells and whistles -- none really come to think of it -- but very simple and thoroughly efficient machines.  I believe my plastic 90 has been discontinued.

Regarding your mention of a Miele campaign, I think it would be great for the company to in any way at least allow consumers some illusions as to its being generous.

Venson
DysonInventsBig

Reply #566   Jan 29, 2009 2:34 pm
Trebor wrote:
 All of this ballyhoo over a vacuum cleaner that is now all but one more chapter in history?

James Dyson is a brillant conceptual engineer, but he is not a design engineer to nearly the same degree. He designed a new concept around a vacuum cleaner. What his imitators are doing now is designing their vacuum cleaners around what is now a commonplace concept.  Mr. Dyson made vacuums that are novel, and admittedly fuctional in that they maintain their cleaning power much longer than vacuums equipped with the paper bags of approximately 20 years ago. However, by no stretch of the imagination did he build vacuum cleaners which are attractive (downright fanny ugly) nor convenient, not compared to many he had to compete against. To avoid having a height adjustment he designed a failure-prone clutch assembly which is not inexpensive to repair. (Oh ye who dibelieve, talk to the vac shops waiting on repair parts on back order from Dyson) The hose/wand is inconvenient (Actually his imitator, Amway, had the optimum solution, a lever to switch suction from floor to hose, and a short stetch hose with a crevice tool on board. The addition of a telescopic wand, dust brush, and upholstery tool on board would have allowed the operator to vacuum with the vacuum handle in one hand, and the hose/wand in the other and switch from one to the other with the flick of a toe. The Sharp bagless had this arrangement, and it is the most convenient upright to use simultaneuoslty with OBT of any that have ever been manufactured. Eureka/Lux has a few BUT, the switch from floor to above-the-floor is acheived with a dial which must be operated by hand.

The important issue to remember is that the bagless concept has now been rendered obsolete by the new bags made from 3M Filtrete paper/cloth. They have been proved in Miele, Sanitaire, Kirby and other brands to maintain nealy 100% of their initial cleaning power as they fill with dirt. The dirt in these bags is compacted as the bag fills, in the bagless machines it is fluffed and looks like more than it really is. If you don't have to change the bags as often as you would have to empty a dirt container, and if the bags are more sanitary and convenient, what are the advantages of a bagless unit, even a Dyson? Cost? It is just paper, not hide flayed from anyone's back. Does anyone track how much bathroom tissue, facial tissue, paper plates and paper towels they use annually? If not, what is all the fuss and to-do about the cost of 6 to 8 bags a year? Nothing but hype, and it is ludicrous. James Dyson you have had your 15min of fame, is that all you've got?

Trebor,
Did you ever phone up your bagged vacuum manufacturer suits and demand...  “Get off your asses and innovate product people want to spend money on” and “Innovate product that sells itself”?

DIB
This message was modified Jan 29, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

Trebor

Reply #567   Jan 29, 2009 3:18 pm
Actually, DIB, I did.

James Mccain, the Chief of Operations at the Electrolux factory in Bristol,VA had me flown in to address his engineering team. I am the only person ever accorded that honor in the 80yrs Lux was an a vac company on North American soil. I gave them an earful! I had the idea for the Sebo Felix in 2002. Customer demand would have put 3 shifts running 24/7 for probably 5 years. I wanted to make the PN usable on the canister or the lightweight. That was only the tip of the iceberg as far as ideas from me and my fellow sales people. 

I also had some tremendous ideas for tweaking the Dysons into better looking, more user friendly vacuums for American women. I also wrote four very eye-catching commercials for Dyson, and spoke to Mike Monte (the marketing liason between Dyson and their American advertising agency) several times. James is as resisitant to input from outside his organization as any of the vac manufactureres he tried to sell his invention to. Amercans love good advertising, but James, I was told, did not "believe in the way Americans advertise." So Dyson is no more receptive to innovation that he did not create than anyone el

Trebor

Reply #568   Jan 29, 2009 10:35 pm
Venson,

With the exception of plastic ware (rubbermaid, tupperware0 the condesnsation drying works just great in my Bosch d/w

About the cost of bags, it is a well-nown fact that Electrolux mage more money off of bag sales than cleaner sales for a good many years.  A 3.00 tube of toothpast costs what, .25 to make? A 1.50 fountain soft drink is .003 or something like that? Everybody needs to be paid for his/her contribution to whatever the product is. I really get tired of people disparaging 'the middle man" . The wholesaler to the supplier to the retailer are necessary steps in the chain of distribution. Call up the Kirby factory and say "I'd like to but ONE Kirby, please, at Area Supervisor cost! Yeah, right! Direct from the mill or direct from the factory outlets are often not that much cheaper than discount stores because there is still a storefront to be mainatined, sales help to be paid. People walk into a 'factory direct' operation and expect the same help they would get in a full-service department store. If it's a factory direct operation you should have done your research, know what you want, and be able to say, "I want that one!" and hear "Yes,sir, will that be cash, check, or charge, and did you want the extended service plan for just xx.xx?

Venson

Reply #569   Jan 30, 2009 2:56 am
Trebor wrote:
Venson,

With the exception of plastic ware (rubbermaid, tupperware0 the condesnsation drying works just great in my Bosch d/w

About the cost of bags, it is a well-nown fact that Electrolux mage more money off of bag sales than cleaner sales for a good many years.  A 3.00 tube of toothpast costs what, .25 to make? A 1.50 fountain soft drink is .003 or something like that? Everybody needs to be paid for his/her contribution to whatever the product is. I really get tired of people disparaging 'the middle man" . The wholesaler to the supplier to the retailer are necessary steps in the chain of distribution. Call up the Kirby factory and say "I'd like to but ONE Kirby, please, at Area Supervisor cost! Yeah, right! Direct from the mill or direct from the factory outlets are often not that much cheaper than discount stores because there is still a storefront to be mainatined, sales help to be paid. People walk into a 'factory direct' operation and expect the same help they would get in a full-service department store. If it's a factory direct operation you should have done your research, know what you want, and be able to say, "I want that one!" and hear "Yes,sir, will that be cash, check, or charge, and did you want the extended service plan for just xx.xx?

Hi Trebor,

I'm glad your Bosch is working you and I'm sure the company won't miss my money. 

Regarding prices, I have never said that I expect anything to be given away -- just to be sold with a reasonable profit in mind.  In past I purchased a new fully acoutred Kirby far below what the door-to-door guys were pushing them for and -- no -- it did not "fall off the truck."  I also got the new Miele at a considerable discount.  Persistence and adamance sometimes pay off.

By the way, I don't do expensive toothpaste --  I have been using peroxide and baking soda for years.

Best,

Venson
DysonInventsBig

Reply #570   Feb 3, 2009 4:35 am
M00seUK wrote:
If you'd like to read more about cyclone separation technologies than most people would care about, head along to:-

http://alpha.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Patents/2009/55.html

...for the recent case notes of the Dyson Technology v Samsung Gwangju Electronics.

"This important judgment confirms Dyson’s view that inventions should be inventive. Samsung had tried to protect arrangements which were not inventive"... Article here.
This message was modified Feb 3, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

DysonInventsBig

Reply #571   Apr 23, 2009 8:54 pm
900 UK business managers said...  "James Dyson once again topped the poll as the most admired business leader with 47% of the vote..."
http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2009/04/22/4146366.htm

"The lovely and super intelligent James Dyson..."
http://www.realbusiness.co.uk/business-comment/5617536/the-godfather-named-best-business-film.thtml
This message was modified Apr 23, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #572   Apr 24, 2009 7:59 am
DysonInventsBig wrote:
900 UK business managers said...  "James Dyson once again topped the poll as the most admired business leader with 47% of the vote..."
"The lovely and super intelligent James Dyson..."

I like and admire the man Dyson.  His products [vacuums and hand blowers] leave alot to be desired from performance and price perspectives.  Just my opinion no offense to his admirers and fans.

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #573   May 21, 2009 8:05 pm
28 million viewers (more or less) watched the Dyson Ball Commercial (DC24) during the American Idol final last night.        DIB

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5j383-6w3LgLNBPk16aZ1gxTw5hZgD98AOPPG0
This message was modified May 21, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #574   May 21, 2009 8:11 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
28 million viewers (more or less) watched the Dyson Ball Commercial (DC24) during the American Idol final last night.        DIB

So.......... that was the thunderous laughing roars that I heard last night here in the Valley.  Thanks. 

Carmine D. 

Replies: 565 - 574 of 624Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42